Bertuzzi reinstated

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Bertuzzi reinstated

Post by MuchoBulls »

8/8/2005 4:57:25 PM

NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL has reinstated Todd Bertuzzi.

The Vancouver Canucks star, who was suspended indefinitely by the NHL in March 2004 for attacking former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore, is "immediately eligible" to return to the ice, the NHL announced Monday.

Commissioner Gary Bettman, noting Bertuzzi had been unable to play hockey anywhere during the lockout, said a 17-month suspension was "the appropriate sanction."

"I believe that Mr. Bertuzzi is genuinely remorseful and apologetic for his actions on March 8, 2004, and the consequences that have flowed from such actions," Bettman said.

But he warned Betuzzi that he was "on probation" for the 2005-06 season.

"Mr. Bertuzzi is on notice that he will be held strictly accountable to a higher standard than other NHL players for his on-ice conduct during the 2005-06 season," he said.

Bertuzzi was suspended for the remaining 13 regular-season games of the 2003-04 season and the playoffs, which lasted only seven games for Vancouver after the Canucks lost to Calgary in the first round.

Bertuzzi's suspension also cost him a chance for play for Canada in the September 2004 World Cup of Hockey and the May 2005 IIHF world hockey championship. The IIHF respected the NHL's suspension and wouldn't let him play in Europe during the lockout.

The suspension cost Bertuzzi $501,926.39 US in salary. Bettman said Bertuzzi told him he had also lost another $350,000 in endorsements.

"Subject to the continuing terms of the conditional discharge in Mr. Bertuzzi's criminal case and the `probationary period' which this decision imposes, Mr. Bertuzzi is immediately eligible for reinstatement for play in the NHL," Bettman said.

In December in Vancouver, Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily harm and received a conditional discharge. He was sentenced to a year's probation and 80 hours of community service.

Part of that probation was that Bertuzzi not play hockey or engage "in any other sporting activity involving Mr. Moore as a participant."

Moore, now a free agent without a club, sustained a broken neck, cuts and a concussion.

Asked about Moore's health, lawyer Tim Danson said Moore has improved to the point where he is attempting to train.

"He is trying to train," Danson said Monday prior to the announcement. "He's trying to get back to where he was. There's challenges, He's moving along."

"He is determined to make a full recovery and resume his NHL career," Danson added. "However he has suffered very serious injuries and a serious head injury. He has to defer to the experts with respect to where he goes from here. Even if you make a full recovery by appearances, concussion injuries are a different kind of injury."

Moore has filed a civil suit in Denver naming Bertuzzi, former Canucks forward Brad May, Canucks coach Marc Crawford, former GM Brian Burke and Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, which owns the team.

Bettman's 4,500-word decision was released the same day that Wayne Gretzky announced he was taking over as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes.

The commissioner said he believed Bertuzzi "has paid a very significant price for his conduct on March 8, 2004."

"I anticipate that there will be those who will say that Mr. Bertuzzi's 17-month suspension is inadequate, and not proportionate to suspensions imposed on other players for conduct that may be considered `less severe' than Mr. Bertuzzi's actions because of the work stoppage that wiped out the entire 2004-05 NHL season," said Bettman. "I disagree.

"In light of the unusual circumstances surrounding the 2004-05 season, it is appropriate to consider not only the significant impact the suspension has had on Mr. Bertuzzi's NHL career, but also the impact that the league's suspension has had on Mr. Bertuzzi's ability to play professional hockey anywhere during this time, as well as the financial, criminal, civil and emotional consequences he has endured as a result of his conduct on March 8, 2004."

Danson, meanwhile, said prior to the league announcement that Moore had undergone a comprehensive medical evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic in June. A follow-up examine is being conducted this week.

The results of that examination won't be known until at least the end of the month.

Regardless of last season being missed, 20 games is way too light of a punishment for that action.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

:lol: :lol:

It's exactly what I've said all along..

Canucks have new owners... Bettman wouldn't dare say no to their demands.

What a joke...
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

He's paid his debt.

Let's all just move on.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

al? wrote:He's paid his debt.

Let's all just move on.

I'm with you. Should be interesting to see how he's treated in every NHL arena he goes into...especially the Pepsi Center.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

He'll receive the Pepsi shower....not happy that he was reinstated with only 20 games, the best punishment would have been NO games against the Avs this season.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

No doubt Bertuzzi is remorseful. Time to move on! If he could change that day I’m sure he would. Wish we all could pay the amount of cash it’s going to cost him for his bonehead move.
Run if you have to but keep up!
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

He'll get his real punishment when the 'sucks play their first game at Pepsi Center.

I think the Avs/Wings rivalry has hit a new low. I have seen more hatred for the Cannots than the Wanks since that hit. Now that Betty has reinstated this tool, this will be the new rivalry for the Avs and the fans.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Absolutely pathetic. So he's served, what? Like 14 games for quite possibly ending a players career? Pathetic. I am sure if it was a goon that did it they would get the same treatment... :roll:
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Hapday wrote:Absolutely pathetic. So he's served, what? Like 14 games for quite possibly ending a players career? Pathetic. I am sure if it was a goon that did it they would get the same treatment... :roll:
RACK!

It amounted to 20 games with the 7 playoff games the Canucks played. Still too light in my opinion.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Hapday wrote:Absolutely pathetic. So he's served, what? Like 14 games for quite possibly ending a players career? Pathetic. I am sure if it was a goon that did it they would get the same treatment... :roll:
RACK!

It amounted to 20 games with the 7 playoff games the Canucks played. Still too light in my opinion.
Oh, but according to Dave Nonis and Brian Burke, the Canucks would have beat the Flames if Bertuzzi played.

More like, the Flames would have won in 5 games because of Bertuzzi's selfish play and bad penalties.

Nothing but sour grapes coming from over the Rockies.
Still a FlameFan
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Who is the Avs enforcer nowadays? Bertuzzi will get pounded the first time those two teams meet.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JD wrote: Oh, but according to Dave Nonis and Brian Burke, the Canucks would have beat the Flames if Bertuzzi played.

More like, the Flames would have won in 5 games because of Bertuzzi's selfish play and bad penalties.

Nothing but sour grapes coming from over the Rockies.

Didn't the Canucks choke bigtime the year before with Bert in the lineup? :?:
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

You can't suspend the man for two full years based on the 'results' of his actions. This shit was almost common place in the seventies, and stick swinging incidents like Dino Ciccarelli's and Marty McSorley's are way worse than a punch to the head.

How much does he have to pay? Should someone go fracture his vertebrae before we can get past this? Moore's civil suit is a lock and will cost Bertuzzi a few million. Everybody STFU and let's move forward.

The league is getting a fresh start, that goes for EVERYBODY. We lost a year, let's forget the past and get back to hockey. Just hockey.

Have the Leafs perennial sucktitude worn on you people so long that you'll bitter on forever?!?!

:lol:
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:You can't suspend the man for two full years based on the 'results' of his actions.
Yes you can, the law does similar stuff all the time. See: Manslaughter/murder.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Do you live on this planet?

That 'the law' even had anything to with this case is because of limp-wristed hand-wringers such as the ones currently fulfilling the role of government in this country.

jeezus :roll:
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:

[
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

I know you're the epitome of sux, hap....but I figured even you had a few years before you degenerated into inane picture smack.

Guess this whole perennialleafsucking thing has really taken its toll.

Deep breaths dipshit. Deep breaths
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

al? wrote:Moore's civil suit is a lock and will cost Bertuzzi a few million.
Ding!

The real reason Bertuzzi is being let back in is because if he had been exiled from the NHL, he would have never had the money to pay the damages on that lawsuit. The biggest favor Bettman ever did Moore was to allow Bertuzzi back in.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

al? wrote:You can't suspend the man for two full years based on the 'results' of his actions. This shit was almost common place in the seventies, and stick swinging incidents like Dino Ciccarelli's and Marty McSorley's are way worse than a punch to the head.
Are you seriously counting last "season"? Who cares what they got away with in the past. Idiotic argument. He deserves to sit out at least twice as many games as he did.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

SYNW,

I'm not counting it as a season, I'm counting it as a calender year. A year that, had he not been suspended he would have played in Europe.

The IIHF honored the NHL's suspension. Who knows how many games he missed. Should it have been only NHL games that count?

The man served a years suspension. He will be a target the rest of his career. Get over it peeps.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

BSmack wrote:The biggest favor Bettman ever did Moore was to allow Bertuzzi back in.
Good point, if I'm Steve Moore I'd be happy as hell Bertuzzi is on the ice making me money
Run if you have to but keep up!
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

See You Next Wednesday wrote: Idiotic argument.

We are talking about al_incognito here. Other than jumping bandwagons, idiocy is the only subject he has his PHD in.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:
The man served a years suspension.
No he didn't you idiot. He served 14 regular season games, and a handful of playoff games.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Cross Traffic wrote:Bertuzzi will get pounded the first time those two teams meet.
Bertuzzi went hard after some Blues players in his last season. Before the next 'Nucks/Blues game, lots of Blues were talking about retribution. That game came and Bertuzzi suddenly came down with a one game flu.

Bertuzzi picks on the runts but can't take the hits himself. I look forward to watching him skate with a target on his jersey.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

rack AL

Bertuzzi did the time, and it's time to move on
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

You cant expect Bertuzzi to sit out forever when Adam Foote did the same exact thing in the first round of the playoffs to a Shark player and wasn't even suspended for a game
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Hapday wrote: We are talking about al_incognito here. Other than jumping bandwagons, idiocy is the only subject he has his PHD in.
Figured out the difference between obstruction and the trap yet, Hap?

You're having a particularly tough day today Hapfu. It's usually not this easy to rake you over the coals. Maybe you ought to just cut your losses for the day and start fresh tomorrow.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

al? wrote:
Hapday wrote: We are talking about al_incognito here. Other than jumping bandwagons, idiocy is the only subject he has his PHD in.

You're having a particularly tough day today Hapfu. It's usually not this easy to rake you over the coals. Maybe you ought to just cut your losses for the day and start fresh tomorrow.

Good Lord. I see the football and politics forums aren't the only places Hap gets plungered.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

And they aren't the only forums where B-Monica doesn't let a total lack of knowledge hinder him from posting at length
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Hapday wrote:
al? wrote:
The man served a years suspension.
No he didn't you idiot. He served 14 regular season games, and a handful of playoff games.
I still believe that he should have spent until at least this Christmas on the suspended list AND forfeiting his salary because of it which would have at least made the punishment, 40 games.

Now if he were have been allowed back but ordered to donate his salary for the first 20 games to a worthy charity like Ronald McDonald House or the Hospital for Sick Kids Foundation without claiming it as a tax break,
at least some form of justice would have been served on him and some good would have come out of the situation instead of him being a 'get out of jail free' card with the impression now that the penalty for doing what he did, a mere 20 game suspension.

Fuck, Dale Hunter got more than that...
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:

Even after dumbing it down for you, you still couldn't understand and ended up kicking your ass (as usual). :lol: :lol:
Hapday wrote:You're having a particularly tough day today Hapfu. It's usually not this easy to rake you over the coals. Maybe you ought to just cut your losses for the day and start fresh tomorrow.

Slapping around an intellectual light weight like you isn't really tough work, you usually do a great job of exposing yourself as a twat without assistance.

Picked out a team to cheer for this year yet?
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

BSmack wrote:
al? wrote:

Good Lord. I see the football and politics forums aren't the only places Hap gets plungered.
:roll: :roll:

You are the Donald Trump of stupidity on this board, and it looks like al_cognitopack is your new apprentice.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

It's not a lie if you believe it, Hapless.

You haven't used one ounce of logic, fact.......(shit, I'd even take one of your piss poor opinions), to back yourself up on why Bertuzzi should still be suspended. You're flailing like a 4 year old girl. Calling me an intellectual light wiehgt... :lol: do you even read these threads?!!?! You're a flaming tard and you don't even know it.

Why does he deserve more than he got? Try not to soil yourself.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:
Why does he deserve more than he got?
I'll ignore the rest, as only about eight words are even ever readable in any of the drivel you even post here.

He deserves more because he only missed 14 regular season games for ending another players career. Dale Hunter got 21 games for his hit on Turgeon, and he 'Turgeon' didn't even have his neck broken.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Hapday wrote:
I'll ignore the rest, as only about eight words are even ever readable in any of the drivel you even post here.
Keep flailing, dipshit. :lol:

Hapday wrote: He deserves more because he only missed 14 regular season games for ending another players career. Dale Hunter got 21 games for his hit on Turgeon, and he 'Turgeon' didn't even have his neck broken.
First of all, Moore's career may not be over. Any money lost will be compensated via Moore's civil suit.

Bertuzzi missed 21 NHL games. He was suspended for more than one full year. You want a suspension based on the results of Bertuzzi's actions. That is not the way suspensions are handed out.

Does Bertuzzi need a fractured vertebrae before you feel justice has been done?
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote: He was suspended for more than one full year.
No, it was called a 'lockout'.
al? wrote:Does Bertuzzi need a fractured vertebrae before you feel justice has been done?
No, but a minimum of 40 games would have been nice.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Hapday wrote:
This is the krux of the argument. I believe his inability to play in Europe, as well as missing out on all the international events satisfies the additional 19 games you are looking for.

Why do you disagree with that?
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:
Hapday wrote:
This is the krux of the argument. I believe his inability to play in Europe, as well as missing out on all the international events satisfies the additional 19 games you are looking for.

Why do you disagree with that?
I disagree, because IMO 'could have' games shouldn't count. A lot of NHLers didn't play in Europe during the lockout and there is no way to say whether he would played or not. Bert probably would have, but you can't absolutely prove how any games he would have played in or even if he would have gone over.

Just out of curiosity, did Bertuzzi get strike pay during the lockout? Does anyone know?
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Hapday wrote: IMO 'could have' games shouldn't count.
What's a 'could have' game? If Vancouver made it to the Stanley Cup finals, he would have been suspended for all of those games and that could have brought his suspension above the 40 game mark. The lockout is a very special circumstance, a once in a century occurence. Sucker punches happen on almost a weekly basis.

A suspension emcompasses all games, 'could have' or 'should have'.

If you're saying only NHL games should count, then he should have been allowed to play in Europe and play with the national team. If you say "no, he shouldn't have" then you have to accept that the man was suspended from hockey for over one year.

He has paid his debt.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

We'll just have to agree that we disagree on this issue.