Dear PC User:

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Dear PC User:

Post by patsy stone »

Today, I was minding my own business and you e-mailed me a comic strip that called Mac users "elitist assholes."

*yawn*

I am fully aware that you hate Apple computer. I am fully aware that you think a mouse with only one button is stupid. I am fully aware that you can't do programming or play Command And Conquer on a Mac. I am fully aware that 99.9% of the applications and software used in business corporations around the world are run on PCs. I accept that. Actually, I really truly don't give a damn.

I am a graphic designer. We use Macs. I am not going to apologize for being taught the ins and outs of Macintosh computer while in college. This is all I know. I am not going to apologize for having a computer that runs multiple Graphics programs effortlessly...that rarely crashes and has a long life span... or for having a computer that is very easy to fix if it DOES crash. Does "easy" mean it's inferior? No. It's just DIFFERENT. GET OVER IT.

The fact is that every time this issue is resurrected, YOU are the one bringing it up. YOU are the one who starts taunting me with your stupid smack. I can say,"Boy it's a beautiful day today..." and you'll respond with,"The day would be even more beautiful if we nuked Apple headquarters in California."

*sigh*

The Mac vs. PC debate has gotten really old. You have clearly shown me your nerd status by consistently wanting to talk about computers while I am out trying to have a good time. I have a drink in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and just want to have good conversation amongst friends. Not the same old boring debate that you start EVERY TIME I SEE YOU!

Now, really WHO are the elitist assholes? Think again.

I ask politely... please stop harrassing me.

Sincerely,
Mac User who is tired of your bullshit
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

vvbh
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

I will use this thread to cordially invite Mac users into the new millenium.

This isn't 1988 anymore, dorks.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Re: Dear PC User:

Post by DiT »

Patsy Stone wrote:Today, I was minding my own business and you e-mailed me a comic strip that called Mac users "elitist assholes."

*yawn*

I am fully aware that you hate Apple computer. I am fully aware that you think a mouse with only one button is stupid. I am fully aware that you can't do programming or play Command And Conquer on a Mac. I am fully aware that 99.9% of the applications and software used in business corporations around the world are run on PCs. I accept that. Actually, I really truly don't give a damn.

I am a graphic designer. We use Macs. I am not going to apologize for being taught the ins and outs of Macintosh computer while in college. This is all I know. I am not going to apologize for having a computer that runs multiple Graphics programs effortlessly...that rarely crashes and has a long life span... or for having a computer that is very easy to fix if it DOES crash. Does "easy" mean it's inferior? No. It's just DIFFERENT. GET OVER IT.

The fact is that every time this issue is resurrected, YOU are the one bringing it up. YOU are the one who starts taunting me with your stupid smack. I can say,"Boy it's a beautiful day today..." and you'll respond with,"The day would be even more beautiful if we nuked Apple headquarters in California."

*sigh*

The Mac vs. PC debate has gotten really old. You have clearly shown me your nerd status by consistently wanting to talk about computers while I am out trying to have a good time. I have a drink in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and just want to have good conversation amongst friends. Not the same old boring debate that you start EVERY TIME I SEE YOU!

Now, really WHO are the elitist assholes? Think again.

I ask politely... please stop harrassing me.

Sincerely,
Mac User who is tired of your bullshit
Patsy,it pains me to see you this rattled.
normally an emotional rock, you're an emotional wreck :cry:
take it easy girl.
Mac or no Mac you're still alright by me sugar 8)

btw,do you know how bored I'd be hacking Windows machines if everyone was using Macs?
:evil:
David_Copperfield
The Wizard

Re: Dear PC User:

Post by David_Copperfield »

Patsy Stone wrote: I am a graphic designer. We use Macs. I am not going to apologize for being taught the ins and outs of Macintosh computer while in college.
Seriously, how long ago was that? I am also a graphic designer (one semester away from my bachelor's) and that world has truly shifted to pc. There's just no denying it. I have a designing job in the graphic design industry so I see what's going on every day. The only people I know who use macs are people who are close to twenty years older than me and just refuse to switch over to the, dare I say, newer technology. Personally I don't care whether someone prefers macs over pc's or vice verse and I, too, get sick of the tired debate. You just struck a nerve when you said "I am a graphic designer. We use Macs." Don't try to speak for us. Speak for the 10% of you that are left. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :?
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Copp, where are the 90% of you? I'm confused. I'm not an old fart who is scared of learning "new technology".* This is all I've ever known and no one is telling me otherwise. My company not only designs stuff, but we print client work as well. They send us art all the time. I've NEVER received PC files. When vendors request files from us, it's always Mac format. I went to Adobe InDesign training in Miami a few months ago, sponsored by Adobe themselves, and it was all done on a Mac. I've never had the feeling that I am behind the times. (Maybe with the actual software since new versions come out every few weeks it seems, but not as far as operating systems go.)

Seriously. Wasn't trying to "strike any nerves"... what you said it all new to me. :?

*I'm not sure that PCs are "new" technology anyway. Isn't it just different?
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Oh the ignorance. I see the I'm hollier then thou from both sides. Just stfu and use whatever you want.

Some Hinst: Mac formats? Since when are there Mac formats? Adobe produces its files for both platforms. Patsy is probably right in that in certain industries Macs are still used a lot but Dave is correct in saying that Apple has lost a lot of ground over the years in all industries including education where Mac used to reign supreme.

As far as a superior OS, I'd say the New Mac OS has some bragging rights because its now based on unix instead of the archane POS Mac OS that 9 and below used to be based on. Of course Apple just made the decision to move to Intels for better or worst. There is one thing that Windows has over everyone out there and that is the wide range of software available, of course half the time those softwares suck dick.

Anyway, thats my 10 cents.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

My twin brother has macs. I have a PC. We both used to be Mac guys when we were both in college, but at one point, I was drawn to something that I couldn't ignore. I think it was the aisles and aisles of PC software and how much cheaper it was to buy a PC than a Mac. So the games, the software and prices are what keep me with PCs.

It's not that I think PCs are better. They're not. They both have their stupid quirks. It's just that I'm used to the PC quirks and know how to get around them.

I know this isn't the right subject, but has anyone called Apple on their so-called quality of the iPod? My wife barely had hers six months and we had to send it away to get a replacement because we were getting the mysterious folder with the exclamation mark icon. She casually mention that it's no big deal and that a few people at her job had the same problem/solution. Even my mac-loving brother has had to replace his iPod with another one.

So let's say you drove a car and that car had to be replaced at some expense to you in the first six months of owning it and that many other people you knew had this same problem? It would be considered the worst car ever made!
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Actually, according to Consumer reports, Apple has the highest customer satisfaction for products and support of ANY of the computer makers.

Gotta say, I've never had a problem with any of my Mac desktop computers (going all the way back to my LC475), laptops, or iPod.

Having said that....I agree that the debate is tired. People use what they like. My school is switching back to Macs, so I'm happy...
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

I'm making the switch to Macs because I'm tired of having to try to keep up with all the patches and fixes you need for Windows .

If I can build a machine using OSX Tiger on it ( like I used to with Windows ) , then I will be happy .

For now , I will take this old iMac as far as I can go with it . Until I buy another used Mac ( a dual G4 ) next month . :D
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

You guys act like updating the patches on a PC is a huge inconvenience. I have mine set for automatic updates. It either updates once a week when I start up or every once in a while when I shut down. I've yet to have a major problem with viruses and what not. It's just like a car. You need to keep it up to date or you're asking for it.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

But if you haven't reformatted your PC , reloaded the OS , download and install SP2 , tweak the damn thing to work the way it should , etc. etc. .

Auto-update will crash the damn thing if you didn't do all of the above . And some of your devices may not work with SP2 .

Of course , Windows is easier in a lot of ways , but less stable . And my first experience with computers is in Windows .

I just don't think it is as good a product as advertised .

Then again , OS9 can be a pain in the ass as well . Thus OSX sometime this week .
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Mac spends R&D money on design and advertising. Honing in on the best possible OS is not the primary focus. Personally, that's where they lose me.

As a developer, I'd have to jump through hoops to be on the Mac platform. Ain't happenin'...
Last edited by PSUFAN on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

For the apps I plan to use in the future , a Mac makes more sense to me .

But , I dunno what the impact will be when Apple switches to Intel chips in a year or so . Not even the techies at the Apple store in SF really know either .

As long as they stay with dual processers as opposed to a dual core single processor , I will be ok with it .

Perhaps 2 dual core processors ? 8)