The Big 12 has a birthday coming up soon...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

The Big 12 has a birthday coming up soon...

Post by the_ouskull »

The 10th birthday of the Big 12 Conference is coming up soon. I figured I'd take advantage of all of the fans (and haters) of Big 12 school a chance to come up with some of their best, worst, favorite, etc... moments from the last 10 years. It can be anything... A game. A play. Something stupid that Mack Brown said... Anything.

Okay, shoot.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Kicked ball, led to a national championship for nebraska
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Adelpiero wrote:Kicked ball, led to a national championship for nebraska
Rack.

I would offer to do the Best Moments of the Big Ten, but 130 years of tradition is hard to wrap up in one post.
Those who stay will be champions.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

How bout you start with the deep history of the Big 11 instead?
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Play - Ricky williams breaking Dorsett's rushing record while putting his foot up a$m's ass with a 63 yard touchdown run.

Game - Texas doing the impossible and beating the shit out of Nebraska for the first Big 12 title.

Season - Gotta be 98, beat the shit out of OU and a$m and took home the Heisman.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Believe the Heupel wrote:'Bout to say..

130 years is a long time to go without being able to count.
Interesting...

On the official Big 10(11) website, they formed in 1895, which by my count is 110 years ago, not 130, but even then a year after forming the original "seven" members referred to it as several names, one of which was Big 10.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

The 2001 OU/NU game with the Crouch catch. The last great NU victory before their downfall and an exciting game all around. Solich's finest moment (which didn't last long before several humiliating losses)

I'll pick one for CU fan, the NU/CU game in 2001, which was so inspiring that they put the score on their rings. Good for them. :hfal:
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Here are some great Big 12 moments, off the top of my head:

Nebraska giving up three safeties in a 19-0 loss to Arizona State in 1996.

With an outside shot at the Sugar Bowl (MNC) on the line, Nebraska lets Priest Holmes - a year removed from major knee surgery - run all over them in the 1996 Big 12 Championship in St. Louis.

Kansas State's epic fourth quarter and overtime collapse against Texas A&M in the 1998 title game that cost them a Fiesta Bowl (MNC) berth.

Kansas lineman Dion Rayford attacking a fast-food employee and getting stuck in the window of a Lawrence Taco Bell drive-thru because he claimed his order was short one chalupa.

Gary Barnett's callout of Katie Hnida while defending players accused of sexual assault.

Jason White's Heisman-clinching performance against Kansas State in 2003.

Houston Nutt's "Hook 'em Horns" as Texas was getting run out of the Cotton Bowl by Arkansas. Then Texas got their revenge by getting run out of their own stadium the following season.

A fatass lineman running 70 yards for a TD against Mizzou.

Last year's Big XII North.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My most memorable moment was the Bonfire tragedy in ’99 when I graduated A&M. My co-worker’s mom worked for the President of A&M (Bowen) at the time and she scored us some seats on the 50 8 rows up sitting right behind McCown’s (our QB) parents. An average A&M team beat favorite t.u. 20-16 before my eyes in a game where everything was left on the field.

’98 was an awesome year for A&M as we beat KSU in the Big XII Championship on Sirr Parker’s trot to the end zone.

2003’s COLLAPSE where A&M went 4-8 including a 77-0 loss to OU was the definite low point for our program since the Big XII.

Also the loss to Baylor last year. :oops:

Can’t forget parking lot pocket pool either. :oops:

Others high points for me:

63-14

66-3
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Play - Mackovic growing a pair and going for it on 4th down with a deep out to the TE to score, and beat NU in the Big XII title game

Game - Same. I hate NU.

Season - '95, the year the best team in the history of college football was fielded ('til 2004 when a better team was fielded :wink: )
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Degenerate wrote:Here are some great Big 12 moments, off the top of my head:

Nebraska giving up three safeties in a 19-0 loss to Arizona State in 1996.

With an outside shot at the Sugar Bowl (MNC) on the line, Nebraska lets Priest Holmes - a year removed from major knee surgery - run all over them in the 1996 Big 12 Championship in St. Louis.
[responding to obvious hata' post] Nebraska NEVER losing to Kansas. (yet) [/responding to obvious hata' post]
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

I'm sticking to football for the quotes and games...

Quotes:

Mack Brown on the 2003 RRS: "I thought we'd win... I'm clueless."

Mack Brown press conference: (paraphrased) "I'll take that [question] for Chris."

Cedric Benson: (paraphrased) "I'd rather win the Heisman than a championship."

Lubbock, TX newspaper on a certain OU All-American safety: "2/3's of the planet is covered by water. The rest is covered by Roy Williams."

...anything Bob Stoops has EVER said to Adrian Carsten. (sp?)

Games:

OU / Texas 1996. Texas was 4-0. OU was 0-4. (Thanks John Blake...) First overtime game in Big 12 history. (I think...) Boomer Sooner and God Bless James Allen finally vindicating a long career at OU, not to mention Jarrial (sp?) Jackson's punt return that set us up the win.

OU / Texas 1998: Hello, I'm Ricky Williams, and before I started [Supertroopers] smoking the reefer [/Supertroopers] I broke one off in OU.

OU / Texas 1997: Demond Parker was Ricky a year before Ricky was though... too bad our line couldn't block without picking up a penalty.

OU / Texas 2000: Bwahahahahahaha !!! Also responsible for another great quote by one of the ABC announcers (Nessler, maybe?) "The eyes of Texas have been blacked today." It wasn't even halftime yet.

OU / Texas 2001: Jesus loves the little Roy Williams'. Well, at least the ones in Crimson. Chris Simms still wets his bed because of this game.

OU / Texas 2002: Mack Brown earns his Native American name, Coach Takeaknee. OU goes on to win with a dominating second half.

OU / Texas 2003: Not as funny as 2000 because 2000 was so unexpected. By this time, we knew we were gonna dominate. Mack's "clueless" quote was born.

Texas / Nebraska 1996: James Brown felt good.

Baylor / A&M 2004: Heh. (Sorry Frisco...)

Kansas State / OU 2003 (Big 12 CCG): Uh... What just happened?

Nebraska / OU 1997:
Kansas State / OU 1997:
Kansas / OU 1997:
A&M / OU 1997:
Texas / OU 1997:
OSU / OU 1997:

...and, finally, OU / Baylor 1997: Anytime you consider a 1 point victory over BAYLOR a win, your team is in desperate need of some changes. I can't believe Blake actually got another year after the scores listed above... ALL of which were blowouts. Tech and Baylor were our only Big 12 wins.

HOWEVER...

OU / Syracuse 1997: Donovan McNabb would not come into Norman and leave with a win. A last mintue field goal was blocked, preserving an OU win. One of the most exciting games I've ever been present for. Demond Parker was un f'ing stoppable, with 31 carries for 239 yards.

Moments:

-1996 Nebraska lost to Arizona State. After the 1995 team looked invincable, the 1996 version came out and lost its second game of the year to Jake Plummer and the Sun Devils.

-1997 Tom Osbourne retires on top.

-1998 Ricky Williams dominates college football on his way to the Doak Walker and the Heisman.

-1999 John Blake is mercifully let go from his post as head of the Sooners. ALL Sooner fans whose last name isn't Blake rejoice and 11 other teams mourn.

-2000 Josh Huepel dominates college football on his way to getting screwed out of the Heisman. Gets revenge by winning the one that matters.

-2001 Eric Crouch dom... You can't be serious? Harrington. Grossman. Roy Williams (OU). Yeah.

-2001 Ken Dorsey, another Heisman candidate in 2K1 gets his Huepelesque revenge on Crouch and Nebraska in the NC game.

-2004 Jason White dominates college football on his way to the Heisman. A trophy which K-State promptly shoves into his butt.

----------

I'm tired of typing... more later.

the_ouskull
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the season opener for Baylor about 5-6 years ago against Boston College (I think) in which Baylor (leading) tries to score an unnecessary late TD "to establish momentum and set the tone for the season"... instead of run out the clock--fumbles, and BC runs it back 95 yards for the winning score as time expires.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Play - Mackovic growing a pair and going for it on 4th down with a deep out to the TE to score, and beat NU in the Big XII title game

Game - Same. I hate NU.

Season - '95, the year the best team in the history of college football was fielded ('til 2004 when a better team was fielded :wink: )
1995 was the last year of the Big 8 by the way...
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

King Crimson wrote:the season opener for Baylor about 5-6 years ago against Boston College (I think) in which Baylor (leading) tries to score an unnecessary late TD "to establish momentum and set the tone for the season"... instead of run out the clock--fumbles, and BC runs it back 95 yards for the winning score as time expires.
:lol:

I think it was against UNLV, but rack you for remembering that. Great play.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I wouldn't call that 2000 Colorado/Nebraska game one of my favorite moments or anything but it seems to be kind of a watershed game for all of college football.

Wether it is parity, or a case of the media just hyping the wrong teams, since that game it has been fairly commonplace for teams that were previously thought of as "The Shit" to get the living shit kicked out of them.

Yeah, it's happened before and these things can be cyclical, but I can't think of a time when it has ever been as common for a team, in the running for a national title, to get thouroughly humiliated late in the season, or in their bowl game.

That Nebraska/Colorado game was just funny. You kept seeing those Colorado backs just running through the Husker defense like it wasn't even there and piling up the touchdowns like a playstation game set on Easy. But it was also shocking...you were thinking "Holy Shit! What's going on!"

Now days when someone big gets fucked up, you are kind of used to it.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

JayDuck wrote:I wouldn't call that 2000 Colorado/Nebraska game one of my favorite moments or anything but it seems to be kind of a watershed game for all of college football.

Wether it is parity, or a case of the media just hyping the wrong teams, since that game it has been fairly commonplace for teams that were previously thought of as "The Shit" to get the living shit kicked out of them.

Yeah, it's happened before and these things can be cyclical, but I can't think of a time when it has ever been as common for a team, in the running for a national title, to get thouroughly humiliated late in the season, or in their bowl game.

That Nebraska/Colorado game was just funny. You kept seeing those Colorado backs just running through the Husker defense like it wasn't even there and piling up the touchdowns like a playstation game set on Easy. But it was also shocking...you were thinking "Holy Shit! What's going on!"

Now days when someone big gets fucked up, you are kind of used to it.
That was the 2001 game...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Re: The Big 12 has a birthday coming up soon...

Post by L45B »

the_ouskull wrote:The 10th birthday of the Big 12 Conference is coming up soon. I figured I'd take advantage of all of the fans (and haters) of Big 12 school a chance to come up with some of their best, worst, favorite, etc... moments from the last 10 years. It can be anything... A game. A play. Something stupid that Mack Brown said... Anything.

Okay, shoot.

the_ouskull
My six favorite Big XII moments happen to be...

2004 Oklahoma State 33-7
2003 Kansas State 35-28
2002 Texas Tech 45-21
1998 Texas A&M 24-14
1998 Missouri 35-14
1997 *Missouri 31-10

“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Favorite Big XII moment? Hmmmm....
"Keys, woman!"
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Favorite had to be 4th and inches in the 1996 championship game against NU. That was a great call.

Watching Chris Simms shred the A & M defense in 2000 was sweet also. I mean c'mon there were 3 NFL starters out there.

I loved the OU OSU game in 2001. The look on Stoops face was priceless.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Shame you'll never see that look in person, no?

I mean, unless you count Mack getting the same look every October...

the_ouskull
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

My favorite Big 12 moments that aren't Horn related

1. Listening to Bob Stoops say his team didn't deserve to play for the MNC after getting punked by KSU in the 2k3 Big 12 title game.

2. Baylor beating A$M 2k4

3. Texas Tech fans shoving their goal post into the a$m stands.

4. Texas Tech shutting up Cal fans in 2k4

5. The John Blake Years

6. OU/OSU 2k2

7. Stoops and Fran agreeing to let the clock run in the 2nd half as a sort of mercy killing in 77-0
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

the_ouskull wrote:Shame you'll never see that look in person, no?

I mean, unless you count Mack getting the same look every October...

the_ouskull
I saw it in 1999. I wouldn't start making plans for Pasadena in January just yet. You guys have a ton of holes to fill. We will see. It is easy to snipe at each other but the final say will be on the field in October.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

I don't want to bother with a FTFY, but it's a lot easier for me to snipe at you right now. :D

the_ouskull
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

a personal sentimental one: let me preface this by saying i am utterly ambivilent about the success or lack thereof CU football though since i live in Colorado, work at CU, grew up in Norman, and have followed the Big 8/12 my entire life. it's natural i follow the team. i've had tickets for 5 of the last 7 years--i dig Folsom Field alot and have some great Buff buds. but, i'm an Oklahoma fan and that's all i really care about--no "second favorite team" thing.

Yet, the comedic factor of the following was truly hilarious. Year before last, after getting whitewashed by FSU (pretty sure)on national TV the Buffs have a bye week before the Baylor game. Barney is in the media talking about how FSU whupped em every which way (true) and that some of the "senior leaders" had a little team meeting thing and want to practice every day or 4 times a day or something when they normally take some days off during a bye week--.

Team is all gung ho. it's kind of a hush hush thing. lots of hitting, really physical, back to "CU Smashmouth Football"....etc. leak to the press is this set of practices which are apparently somewhere between the middle ages and Navy SEAL training are being referred to as "the Bloodbath Trilogy". what EVER the fuck that means who knows? Barney's a little screwy (he did the closing speech from Patton dressed as GP before the KU game his first year).....but THE BLOODBATH TRILOGY.

Lots of hitting, really physical. all you read in the papers. "New focus". 2 weeks to prepare, a week full of "some of the best practices we've ever had". Gary's got the glow, team is buying into what he and staff are selling. everyone is upbeat. RTD, bay-bee.

they roll into Baylor on Saturday and lose.

(key sequence of the game: 4th quarter: CU fails to convert a 4th and inches at the BU goaline (terrible playcall off tackle to jitterbug Brian Calhoun who makes Eric Metcalf look like Larry Czonka). BU takes over, sticks it down their throat, and goes the length of the field for the gamewinning TD).

apologies to our CU fans, but it was too ridiculous.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brian Calhoun transfer to Wisconsin? It will be interesting to see how he does there.

Rack the Bloodbath reference, BTW. I found that kinda funny.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

yep, he's from Wisconsin. and did transfer back there. he's a talented back....and a good guy from someone i know who taught a class he was in.

but he never hit the hole hard at CU. he transferred because the CU staff wanted to move him to wideout
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

King Crimson wrote:
apologies to our CU fan
FTFY.

And as much as I hated that game as a Buffs fan, I can see the hilarity in it. The sports bar I frequent here in Tempe used to get invaded by the Texas alumni association every Saturday. After that I game, I showed up in my CU jersey with "Baylor" written on some packing tape covering up "Colorado" on the front. They got a kick out of that. If you can't laugh at yourself...
"Keys, woman!"
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Baylor seems to rise up once a year at home and bite somebody in the ass. I'm afraid of it being the huskers this year. We can't afford to let any games like this(likely wins) get by, otherwise we'll be in the Bag'o'Cereal Bowl or worse, holding our cocks at home for another bowl season.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Play - Mackovic growing a pair and going for it on 4th down with a deep out to the TE to score, and beat NU in the Big XII title game

Game - Same. I hate NU.

Definitely , cuz that 3 point victory over Stanford sets USC apart from everyone in the history of college football. :D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

5.Miracle in Missouri(97)

4.The Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass against Oklahoma(01)

3.The Huskers defensive stand/Field goal block against KSU after Dan Alexander fumbled on the 28 on the first fucking play of the game(99) .

2. The Blackshirts Sacking Major Applewhite 7 times in the 99' Big XII title game.

1. 97' Orange Bowl- Dr. Toms 3rd National title in a 42-17 pimpslapping of Peyton Manning and the 3rd ranked Vol's.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke