Most Disconcerting (A must read for any NFL fan of the 70s)

The best of the best
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Most Disconcerting (A must read for any NFL fan of the 70s)

Post by SunCoastSooner »

My father was an athelete at OU in the early to mid 70s. Member of the 1974 National Title Wrestling team and won the individual title in his weight class thatv year as well. Back then the Wrestling teams was dormed with the football team's freshman and so he knew and lived with many a legend in Oklahoma lore. I was about eleven when my father took me as his "date" to an Oklahoma atheletes alumni gathering where he introduced me to a number of former football players including Greg Pruitt. Greg was an A+ charicter and talked to me for almost an hour that evenning which I still loook back on most fondly today. He told me and my father that if not for saving twenty-five cents out of every dollar he earned in the NFL that he would be in the poor house. I always thought that was a bit of an embelishment... until today. :(

I do a good bit of work localy for a former Auburn football player and today I went out to Defuniak Springs to inspect some partialy vacant land for a developmental appraisel on a new cookie cutter sub-division going up out there. My client told me that along the northside of the tract across the street there would be a little shanty house with a small but noticeable St. Louis Rams flag out front and if an old african american gentleman was sitting on the porch I should take a few minutes of my time and speak to him, he also gave me a hundred dollar bill and told me to leave that with him in his box if he were there.

I got out there and had finished my inspection in all of about 20 minutes per the norm; I mean hell you can only see so many trees and blades of grass for God's sake. But sure enough the african american gentleman was sitting on his porch in old swing just sipping on a soda out of a straw. I walked up and introduced myself and asked him if he would like some company for a bit and his eyes lit up like a four year old at Christmas.

The man was none other than David Deacon Jones.

I was too young to have ever seen him play but I have heard the stories and seen the film. How could you not know who he is if you are football fan the man was Reggie White's insperation/mentor. I spent nearly two hours there. He recounted his days with the Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers (which he was never really happy about being traded to), the Washington Redskins, and numerous pro bowls ( 8 ).

He never once made more than 38k in a season during his entire career and today lives of a measly $1,112 a month pension from the NFL; which for anyone who has ever lived out here, or even visited for that matter, knows that that is about enough to get you a pot to piss in... about. He also occasionaly does things for the NFL Hall Fame which they inturn give him a nominal fee for and pay for his traveling expenses.

His wife passed away a couple of years and his children do the best they can to help subsidize his income but in the end he barely scrapes by and lives as bad or worse than a pauper. There were a number of times where it was just about all I could do to not shed tears watching this hobbled older man try and march back and forth on his delapidated fronch porch reliving the glory days in his mind as he recounted them in his speech like it were just yesterday.

I left him not only the $100 bill my client gave me for him but two of my own in the cigar box on the ledge. He told me "God Bless You" as I departed with what looked like a tear in his eye. $300 dollars meant just that much to the man and he was used to talking to people on his porch for much longer length for much smaller "donations".

It absolutly sickens me to think of players like Terrel Owens now bitching because they don't have contracts with enough zeros at the end these days when I look at man like this who gave his life to the game. I don't know if I'll ever purchase another NFL licensed product again in my life and certainly not a jersey of some over paid pussy bitching about only making a couple million dollars a year :evil: .

The sorry SOB owners can rot in hell as well as far as I am concerned!!!
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

None of the current NFL owners were owners when he played, dumbass, except maybe Grandma Davis.

btw, is Deacon still a bitter racist?

Or did he keep a lid on it until you dropped the 3 bones on him?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Better check this site out..... also you might wanna go back and get your $$$ from that imposter. :wink:

http://www.deaconjones.com/current_news ... d=1&page=1

BTW...I watched Jones his entire career here in L.A.

Additionally, Deacon is often on local T.V. and is anything but destitute.
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Rack Deacon for the crack-back block on SCS's wallet. :)
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

ChargerMike wrote:Better check this site out.....

http://www.deaconjones.com/current_news ... d=1&page=1

BTW...I watched Jones his entire career here in L.A.

Additionally, Deacon is often on local T.V. and is anything but destitute.

It doesn't mention how he lives there but damn the man was the spitting image of the deacon that I was sitting with :shock: a little rounder and older in the face. I feel fucking had. If thats true I want to drive back out there and kick the living shit out of that old man and get my damn money back :evil: .
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

You sure he didn't say " the guy who sat next to Deacon Jones in the locker room"?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I honestly feel like alerting the authorities to this. Its obvious that I wasn't the first person to fall for this scheme. At the very least he pulled the wool over my clients eyes at one time or another, whom I have already called now to tell him about this and he seems pretty pissed off (or pissed on depending how you look at it). The scheme was at the very least elaborate and something he has been doing for quit sometime cause he had the props and all, right down to a pretty damn authentic looking copy of an NFL pension check made out to him.

Guess I paid for a good show if nothing else :? . Next time I'm out there I think I might feel the need to take a piss on that little flag of his and the box as well.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dear SunCoastSooner,
There are some Nigerians that need some help getting millions out of some African bank for a variety of reasons.

An email will be forthcoming. Please give generously.

Sincerely,
:lol:
Ruff
Elwood

Post by Ruff »

SunCoastSooner wrote:I honestly feel like alerting the authorities to this. Its obvious that I wasn't the first person to fall for this scheme. At the very least he pulled the wool over my clients eyes at one time or another, whom I have already called now to tell him about this and he seems pretty pissed off (or pissed on depending how you look at it). The scheme was at the very least elaborate and something he has been doing for quit sometime cause he had the props and all, right down to a pretty damn authentic looking copy of an NFL pension check made out to him.

Guess I paid for a good show if nothing else :? . Next time I'm out there I think I might feel the need to take a piss on that little flag of his and the box as well.
Don't get pissed SunCoastStupid, just join the pyramid scheme.
See, that "client" of yours is actually in on the scheme. Tell me you knew.
All you need to do is "mention" the fine, elderly african american gentleman to a few of your contacts, front them with a hunie "seed money", and wait for your cut.
You'll be able to give up the shitty inspection job real soon.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

What the fuck just happened here? Oh, as long as there's a "fuck Terrell Owens" thrown about, I'm down though...

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I just spent a good bit of time on the phone with local authorities. The guy has mental problems and is sort of a community project as it turns out. Still feel had but don't feel as bad about giving him the money now.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Ruff wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:I honestly feel like alerting the authorities to this. Its obvious that I wasn't the first person to fall for this scheme. At the very least he pulled the wool over my clients eyes at one time or another, whom I have already called now to tell him about this and he seems pretty pissed off (or pissed on depending how you look at it). The scheme was at the very least elaborate and something he has been doing for quit sometime cause he had the props and all, right down to a pretty damn authentic looking copy of an NFL pension check made out to him.

Don't get pissed SunCoastStupid, just join the pyramid scheme.
See, that "client" of yours is actually in on the scheme. Tell me you knew.
All you need to do is "mention" the fine, elderly african american gentleman to a few of your contacts, front them with a hunie "seed money", and wait for your cut.
You'll be able to give up the shitty inspection job real soon.
That "Client" of mine has no need to be in on a scheme. He has more money than could be spent in about 10 life times.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

SunCoastSooner wrote:I just spent a good bit of time on the phone with local authorities. The guy has mental problems and is sort of a community project as it turns out. Still feel had but don't feel as bad about giving him the money now.
Thats the short of it but if you want the long...

I called the County Sherrif's dept. and the put me in contact with DFunk Detective who sort of handles this old guy everytime there is a situation like this. Told me he would be more than happy to allow me to file a complaint but he thought I should speak to two people before I did so; His doctor and his son. Turns out the guy is an Army Vet with pretty substantial mental problems and has been in and out of mental instituitions for three decades now. His son has power of Attorney over him and lives a couple of houses down and keeps track of him.

The saddest part is that he at times really believes he is other people and this is sixth or seventh person he has believed himself to be. He's no physical threat to the community or himself and his son didn't want him to rot away in some hospital his entire life and so he took him in and bought him the shanty. Its not a community on the water so its not as though he is getting over on a bunch of tourists for big money or anything; in fact he is sort of a local project as I stated originally and people in the communty, especially his neighbors come by on a regular basis to check in on him and listen to his stories which appearantly everyone in the community know are stories and they treat him as though it is the truth all the while realising it is not. They leave him ten, twenty, and even fifty dollars here and there. He doesn't spend it on booze or drugs but for the most part groceries and his companion an old cocker spaniol. To wrap this up and bring closure it seems that my client walked up on one of these little charades one day while walking the grounds of the land he is to be purchasing for development and caught one of his little "skits" shall we call it and took it for the gospel because of how the other three men there were taking the stories and going along with him. I am assuming these men just figured my client was another member of the community who stops through on occasion and didn't think to tell him that the guy doesn't have all his marbles.

Spoke to the son and he offered to repay me the money I gave his father and even offered to meet me half way in Freeport so I wouldn't need to make the haul again. He was genuinly sorry about the caper.

In the end I told him not to worry about it and that the show was worth the money and wished him well with his father. Judging by the looks of the area they live in he is having enough trouble taking care of him and his own family.

We have a Vet in my own community we call Mr. Leo who is a similar project without the mental problems though.

Edit: Oh and the old man doesn't even sleep at the little shanty but lives with his son. He just sort of hangs out there during the day because they think it gives him some sort of semblance of independence.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

This is quite possibly the funniest thread I have ever read. Chargermike just brought the evilfunnay like no one before.

RACK your charity regardless.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

:headslap:
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

He showed you an NFL pension check? What was the name on it? Oh, and before I forget, I'm Don Hutson. Send me some money.
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Dinsdale wrote:This is quite possibly the funniest thread I have ever read. Chargermike just brought the evilfunnay like no one before.

RACK your charity regardless.

Ditto.

If it wouldn't make Rootbeer turn over in his grave, I might even post a smilie or two. Maybe even a Bwahahaha.

Anyways, props on lightening your wallet. You're a good man. Naive, but good!
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Ruff wrote:Don't get pissed SunCoastStupid, just join the pyramid scheme.
SunCoastSap wrote:He has more money than could be spent in about 10 life times.
See ... it works!
socal wrote::headslap:

I'm guessing Deac (not to be confused with Deke) made a dollar or two from this to supplement his measly pension.
"I see everything twice!"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Ruff wrote:Don't get pissed SunCoastStupid, just join the pyramid scheme.
SunCoastSap wrote:He has more money than could be spent in about 10 life times.
See ... it works!
socal wrote::headslap:

I'm guessing Deac (not to be confused with Deke) made a dollar or two from this to supplement his measly pension.
:lol: Good point but I do enough work for this guy that I know where he makes and has made his money.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KUTTER wrote:HI'm Don Hutson. Send me some money.
No shit.

If Deacon Jones was worth $200, what would Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth get out of him?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

KUTTER wrote:He showed you an NFL pension check? What was the name on it? Oh, and before I forget, I'm Don Hutson. Send me some money.
A copy of one. Looking back on it a 10 year old could have done that with a computer but with all the other basis of knowledge on the matter I had at the time it added up.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

YOU DROPPED 2 BILLS ON A GUY YOU THOUGHT WAS DEACON JONES????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They sure grow them smart down in Norman,
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Dinsdale wrote:
KUTTER wrote:HI'm Don Hutson. Send me some money.
No shit.

If Deacon Jones was worth $200, what would Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth get out of him?
Not a damn cent they would have probably spent the money on booze.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

SCS, I actually know Elvis Presley. Sure he's a 4'7" vietnamese dude with broken english, and he goes by the name Duc, but I swear it's him. He's kind of in a bad way. Please send $13,000 in small bills and I will forward it to him directly.

Thanks!
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

BSmack wrote:YOU DROPPED 2 BILLS ON A GUY YOU THOUGHT WAS DEACON JONES????

Bsmack your the biggest Liberal agenda junkie on this board and your trying to clown for someone helping out a person living destitute. Yeah you really uphold those liberal ideals you speak so highly about :roll:.

I guess its only okay when they are on welfare and its coming out our tax dollars huh? :roll:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
BSmack wrote:YOU DROPPED 2 BILLS ON A GUY YOU THOUGHT WAS DEACON JONES????

Bsmack your the biggest Liberal agenda junkie on this board and your trying to clown for someone helping out a person living destitute. Yeah you really uphold those liberal ideals you speak so highly about :roll:.

I guess its only okay when they are on welfare and its coming out our tax dollars huh? :roll:
I see you like to misread me as well as elderly black con men. You see, I've never been down with welfare. I'm for living wages and healthcare for all.

BTW: I'm Lyle Alzado. Please send money?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

BSmack wrote:BTW: I'm Lyle Alzado. Please send money?
:lol: :hfal:
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

here's the pile on, war wagon.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Cuda wrote:SCS, one day you'll learn that plungers & pogo sticks are two different things.

Till then... ride on, bro
Rack! that.

Spare racks for Smackie, CM & Dins, btw
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Can I get some love for Ray Fukken Nitchke? I've got him chained to a bedpost up in the attic and some tens and twenties would certainly lighten his load.

God Bless you.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

PSUFAN wrote:here's the pile on, war wagon.
I deserve it greatly but I don't feel so bad anymore after last evenning though about giving him the money. Neither does my client after I spoke to him again and relayed what I found out.

In fact we have been discussing setting up a fund for this guy to help his family out.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I stuff a twenty into his hole everytime I see Rolf Benirschke.

Good story, Suncoast.
why is my neighborhood on fire
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Good story, Suncoast.
Not to pat myself on the back too much for being as gullible as I was yesterday but I think this ranks right up there with Phonebooks, and Jewish Gangsters ;).
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

That's all fine and good. But you gave money to a con man who duped you into thinking he was Deacon Freaking Jones.

Hank Gathers lives next door to me. Can you set up a fund for him as well? I'll manage it because that's the kind of guy I am!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SunCoastSooner wrote:gullible
Hey SCS, did you hear Websters took that word out of the dictionary because it was offensive to certain religious groups?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Headhunter wrote:That's all fine and good. But you gave money to a con man who duped you into thinking he was Deacon Freaking Jones.

Hank Gathers lives next door to me. Can you set up a fund for him as well? I'll manage it because that's the kind of guy I am!
Not a con man just an old man with mental problems. Have heart man.

And I wouldn't let you manage my bathroom much less a fund to help out a mentaly disabled Vet ;)
Last edited by SunCoastSooner on Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

SunCoastSooner wrote: Have heart man.
Dirty liberal.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
Dirty liberal.
Me? Damn you don't frequent the Spin Zone much do ya?
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I got nothing against the old dude. I got nothing against you helping an old mentally challenged dude out. I got no problems with you handing dude a few bills to get by. Hell, I applaud all that.

That you did it because you thought it was Deacon Jones is one of the funnier things I will hear all week. Month or year, possibly, but definitely this week!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:
Dirty liberal.
Me? Damn you don't frequent the Spin Zone much do ya?
Having heart is a dirty liberal rationale.