F1

Please donate to the War Wagon memorial A/C fund.

Moderator: War Wagon

JiT3
Crack Whore

F1

Post by JiT3 »

Yes, I got up this morning with intentions of attending the F 1 race here in Indy. I went back and forth, go, don't go. When I called yesterday about tickets I was told that general admission tickets were a two day ticket at $60 for Saturday and Sunday admission.

I got the camera ready last night, charged batteries and made sure all cards were clean.

Then about 10am this morning I decided to stay at home and watch it on tv.
Much to my disbelief, Michilan wanted a chicane put in turn 13 because their tires weren't safe at the high rate of speeds they currently were running.
Good luck with tires sales world wide Michilan.
I can say this F 1 is dead in the US. They had a full house the first year but, with the dominance of Schumacher year after year interest locally was very low. Who wants to go see a race when you know who will win before they even line the cars up?
This year, with Schumacher not dominating, interest was up. I, for the first time was even considering going. What has this done? It has made F 1 a laughing stock in motorsports here in Indy. I have been on the phone with a few friends, some who were thinking of going and others who were watching on TV. This is just one more reason I don't believe we will see another F 1 race at Indy and personally, I don't care.

So, do the racing in the US a favor Bernie, keep your inflated egos and boring racing on that side of the pond, we don't need you, or your drama queens.[/rant]
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Smart choice, would never pay F1 to ever watch one of their races.
Roofer
Elwood

Post by Roofer »

And people wonder why F1 will never be popular in the US.

How is it that tires haven't been an issue on any circuit this year so far until now? This Ecclestone clown is a fuckin joke, really. I heard some comments he made earlier this week that just shows his ignorance. It's a shame too, cuz F1 is widely considered as the foremost racing in the world. As long as the US has NECKCAR, F1 will never be taken serious here.

And every one of those fans in attendance today should be refunded, and Ecclejoke should pick up the tab.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Espnews was showing scenes of fans throwing stuff onto the track, footage that the "official" F1 feed would have never allowed to be broadcast. Second the lights went out, you knew one of the Ferraris were going to win. How entertaining is that?

Ecclejoke is one of the reasons that several teams are planning their own F1 type circuit in 08. Tony George should tell F1 to fuck off (like Long Beach, Las Vegas, Watkins Glen and others before it), and schedule an IRL race for the road course in between the 500 and the Brickyard 400.
JiT3
Crack Whore

Post by JiT3 »

Cross traffic I think an IRL roadcourse race is a good possibility, maybe even an AMA event.
Laying balme on this at someones footsteps is hard. The track (the oval part) had been resurfaced since last year. It was bumpy and unraceable and the track was ground down. IMS had the surface ground down, it is hard to explain but it is like small fine rows like you would see in a farm field.
At a tire test in March, Firestone stopped the testing after two hours due to excessive tire wear. They came back a week later with a different compound and everything was fine.
Michilen was just unprepared. They only brought one set of compound tires and they could have brought two. F! wouldn't, and shouldn't have, changed the rules to allow those cars to runs on tires they failed to qualify on, nor could they allow a change in the course by adding chicanes. IMS was willng to do that but F1 said no.
In a statement released late Sunday Tony Goerge and the IMS said the future of F1 at Indy would be evaluated. Sounds like Bernie is going to be told to take his ball and go home.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

I can't say that I'm a big F1 fan. So to see this race come to an end because of this from a racing fan standpoint wouldn't really bother me. But I would be interested to know how many people do flock to Indianapolis form around the world to see this race. If this is indeed it for the USGP, the economy of the city of Indianapolis is the real victim.

I know someone who had to find a hotel room Saturday night. The only thing they could find was a Hampton Inn on the opposite side of the city from the track for $220.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

You know, the more I hear and read about this situation and how everything went down, it seems this situation can be boiled down to 3 words...

FRANCE SURRENDERED AGAIN!

Michelen is the culpret in this crime. Michelen is a Paris, France based company. Michelen was too damn lazy to come the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to test their tires when the track resurfacing took place months before this race was too happen and everyone knew about it. 2 of the Toyota teams drivers had problems with the tires in practice. That's it, 2. None of the other teams using Michelen tires had the same problem. So because those 2 Toyota team members had problems, Michelen cried to the Speedway to change the track and they cried to F1 to change it's rules.

Both of them ignored Michelen's crying. So Michelen boycotted the race all together because they didn't get their way after they realized they hadn't pepared for this event properly.

This is the way things seemed to have unfolded from the reports I have heard so far this morning. If I have fact or sequence wrong, I apologize. But in the end, what's happening right now is news organizations are calling people in Paris, France to ask why they quit.

I am pretty freaking pissed about France having the ability to hurt the economy of Indianapolis like this. I'm about ready to call Governor Daniels and ask that he send the Indiana National Guard over there to invade and take over that worthless piece of shit of a country.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

I checked the Michelin website.

They've got a statement on there that basically shows they're still crying.

"It is regrettable that our pre-race suggestions, agreed in conjunction with our partner teams, were not adopted. Had our ideas been followed, we could have guaranteed driver safety, the participation of our teams and added interest for the public."

Their "pre-race suggestions" invloved changing the design of a track that has been just fine for the last 5 years so that they could run their defective equipment on it.

I also found an estimate that Indianapolis receives an economic boost of about $170 million on USGP weekend. :x

My suggestion for this problem...

First of all, Eccelstone has to be bypassed becasue he obviously doesn't have the sack to make a call like this. But then F1 would have to ban Michelin from their series to ensure that this didn't happen again. Make everyone use Bridgestone. Then Let Eccelstone take care of all that marketing that he was bitching about before the race. Let him lay out the case as to why Michelin is to blame for this event and tell the world that Michelin will never again support a F1 team.
Bucket_O_Beef
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Bucket_O_Beef »

What better way to get people talking about F1 in the US than by a farce like what we saw.

So a good portion of the 100,000 fans in the crowd got screwed over, it's likely that Michelin and the seven teams that use Michelin will be penalised in a manner that will compensate the fans.

they've still got a story to tell people when they get home.

Ecclestone isn't as much at fault as he has nothing to do with the rules and the technical running of the race. It's all down to the teams (minus Ferrari) vs Max Mosely and the FIA.

F1 will remain in the USA. Indy will run next year, the last of it's contract and after that who knows. They might end up in Las Vegas or New York or some other location. Indy will still want the race. They'll still make money there, even with less fans attending.
Bucket_O_Beef
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Bucket_O_Beef »

Bernie has his hands full trying to keep the right people happy.