Well, I ended up getting a new driver...

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Well, I ended up getting a new driver...

Post by indyfrisco »

Went down to Evansville, IN on Friday with the wife. We were going to Babies R Us to get a mattress for the crib as well as register for the baby shower (total beating!). I see a Dick’s Sporting Goods in the same shopping center so I suggest we stop in there.

I go to the golf section and am looking for some good golf ball deals. None to be found. I remembered seeing Dicks as a place on the nickent.com website as a seller for the clubs. Can’t find any anywhere. As the wife is finding a new paid of tennis shoes, I see the Taylor Made stand has a sale going on.

I ended up getting the Taylor Made R5 580 8.5* with a Stiff shaft. They had the price normally at $400 but on sale for $150. I figured that was a hell of a deal and if I sucked with the club, oh well, it’s only $150 vs. $400-$500. I hit it a few times in their cage and it felt pretty good.

I played at the club Saturday and Sunday. I hit it pretty damn good except for a few holes. I still hit it into the clouds, but I launched a couple that hit around 310 yards. Accuracy got better the more I hit it. Still fighting off a bit of a fade with it. It’s more of a push than anything.

In any case, I’m excited with the club. It’s much better than what I had and I still have my two Nickent hybrids coming in the mail.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack any and all new toys.

I think a lot of people are desensitized from watching PGA and the Big Boys, but to Joe Blow, 310 is a pretty monstrous poke. Hell, to a hack, 280 is a big poke.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:Rack any and all new toys.
Hell, to a hack, 280 is a big poke.
Sometimes, 200 in bounds seems monsterous.

Sincerely,

Mr. Snappy Hook
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:Rack any and all new toys.

I think a lot of people are desensitized from watching PGA and the Big Boys, but to Joe Blow, 310 is a pretty monstrous poke. Hell, to a hack, 280 is a big poke.
No shit. I drove a 290 yard par 4 one time and I had wood for a week just thinking about the shot. Never mind that it was so downhill a shot that the pro tees off with a 4 iron on that hole. I DROVE A PAR FOUR!

:D :D :D
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Who am I trying to kid.......I was just talking tough on the internet. These days, 120 is a monsterous poke, as long as it's in the short grass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:I DROVE A PAR FOUR!
So.....did you 3 putt it?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Hell, with a 5 month pregnant wife, any kind of poke is a winner... :)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:I DROVE A PAR FOUR!
So.....did you 3 putt it?
2 putt birdie. The 5 footer comming back downhill was one of the biggest knee knockers I've ever had.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:Hell, with a 5 month pregnant wife, any kind of poke is a winner... :)
that's a good one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Last time I got a 4 in 1, I had about a 20 footer, pretty flat on slow greens. Left that 20 footer about 9 feet short. Missed the second, too. At least I tapped in for par. That's the problem with us hacks -- you get to a green in 1, and you're so freaking excited, you forget how to putt.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I've gotten to a par 4 in one 5 times. Not once have I eagled one.

I couldn't count the number of eagles I've had on par 5s. Never had a hole in one yet.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Nicklaus was saying yesterday on the Memorial coverage he's estimating he's had "somewhere around 20 aces".

""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, my uncle here is nicknamed "the wizard" by his brothers because he's had 8 aces.

I was playing with my wife's little sister in Dallas when she got her first ace. Yes first. She's 21 and has had two now.

Was playing with my dad when he got his one and only ace.

Saw an old man make an ace when I was working a course in Texas in high school.

That's all I've ever seen live. 3 of them.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: I couldn't count the number of eagles I've had on par 5s. Never had a hole in one yet.
I probably could, since it's a low number. Last one I remember was chipped in from the apron. If it comes down to putting in an on-in-two, I'm screwed.

I did Ace one here(not this hole) --

It was only about a 45 yard hole, but still felt good. Really difficult pitch-and-putt course, actually. My Victim, #7, is pretty tough. Only about 45 yards, but there's a big bushy maple tree that the tree's canopy basically covers the green. You have to really loft one, and hope it "pachincos" through the branches towards the hole. It's OB right behind the green. One time, we took a madgamer out there for the first time, told him the "loft it into the top of the tree" drill, and I'll be darned if he didn't just about brain a crow that was sitting in the tree, and couldn't get out of the way quickly enough. We hadn't even seen the bird sitting there through all the leaves. Sucker bounced off the bird, and stopped right by the hole. Laughter ensued, except the crow wasn't laughing, I'll assume. I have tentative plans to play there thursday, matter of fact. I'm already trying to secure a ride, since my liver pays the price out there.

But an Ace is an Ace, right?

Coolest Par 3 course EVER. We always end up getting extremely competitive out there(and generally extremely drunk). If we go weekday evenings, sometimes we can sneak out a group of 5 or 6, to add to the fun.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote: Image

I have tentative plans to play there thursday, matter of fact. I'm already trying to secure a ride, since my liver pays the price out there.
Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhh.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Sucks to be me.

My folks are in town and I'm playing with my dad after work. No getting shit-faced for me, which is a norm on Men's League on Thursdays. :cry:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Off to a meeting, but real quick...the Nickent Hybrid 3DX clubs are a GOD-SEND!!! I did not miss one fairway yesterday. I am hitting the 14* about 275 yards off the tee. Only had to hit my driver twice on 9 holes. I hit 14* 275 off the tee and cut the corner over trees on a par 5. 200 out over water and I hit the 20* 3DX 4 feet from the pin.

Of course, I missed my eagle putt. I think I need to start putting with the Hybrid.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:Off to a meeting, but real quick...the Nickent Hybrid 3DX clubs are a GOD-SEND!!! I did not miss one fairway yesterday. I am hitting the 14* about 275 yards off the tee. Only had to hit my driver twice on 9 holes. I hit 14* 275 off the tee and cut the corner over trees on a par 5. 200 out over water and I hit the 20* 3DX 4 feet from the pin.

Of course, I missed my eagle putt. I think I need to start putting with the Hybrid.
You sure that didn't have more to do with...
No getting shit-faced for me, which is a norm on Men's League on Thursdays.
...than the new hybrids? :wink:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Actually, there's a pretty consistent up then down bell curve where the Y axis is my quality of golf and the X axis is the amount of alcohol drank.

Toughest part of my game is finding the peak of that curve...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, this is why fairway woods are quickly disappearing from the face of the planet?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dins,

Absolutely. I have a driver in my bag and the two hybrids.

I'll never buy another 3-wood again.

Golfsmith is tax free if buying outside of Texas and free shipping on $75 or more. Get the Nickent 3DX.

If I keep hitting them this good, I'm buying another in a few weeks.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Since me and my fairway woods have been getting along like cats and dogs lately, I'm going to have to check out a hybrid. Haven't heard a bad word yet.

I've actually renamed my 3Wood recently......I call it a "4 Iron."(I don't have a 3I at present). One goes down the fairway, the other goes wherever it feels like these days.

And I still just can't say enough about how cool my Tommy Armour T100 iron set is. Never used titanium irons before. They rock. Almost like cheating. Maybe not quite as hot as my old oversized Wilsons, but more than worth the tradeoff, many times over. Extremely forgiving clubs.
longtimelistener2
Crack Whore

Post by longtimelistener2 »

I've got the Nike rescue that replaces my 3 iron.

I call it the "equalizer" since it gets me BACK to where I should be after hitting over into the next fairway with my driver.

I love the thing, but all this warm and fuzzy talk makes me envious. Might have to check out a new hybrid to replace my 3 wood thats only a year old.
Clown Fart for President 2008
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:I've actually renamed my 3Wood recently......I call it a "4 Iron."(I don't have a 3I at present). One goes down the fairway, the other goes wherever it feels like these days.
No doubt. I was playing this morning and was about 200 yards out, in the rough and tried 3 wood. Grass grabs hosel, ball shoots out at 45% angle and dribbles down the faiorway. I dropped another ball, pulled out the 4 iron and stripped the ball about 180 down the fairway. So what if I didn't hit the green? It was better than almost any 3 wood I've hit all year.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, I came back to Earth with my new hybrids. Used them a total of 18 times over the course of 9 on Friday and 18 on Saturday. I hit a couple abortions, but of the 18, probably 14 went exactly where I wanted them to go which is still a hell of a percentage. I’m still on board with the Nickent 3DX and will be buying another with some Christmas money (bought 3 clubs in the last 2 weeks so I don’t want to push it with the wife).
AZhusker
Crack Whore

Post by AZhusker »

so which degrees are suppose to replace what club? I would like to find something to hit between 200 and 230 yards. I have been looking at them on ebay and may have to try one out.

Stuck in Pac-10 country where everyone thinks this is "REAL" football.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I bought the 20* to replace my 3 iron. I hit it off the fairway a couple times. One from 200 into the wind and I stuck it 4 ft. from the pin as I said in a previous post. I hit it off the tee about 250 one time, but I absolutely crushed it.

I hit my 3 iron, when I hit it good that is, about 230-240. This 20* seems to be the perfet replacement for the 3 iron. Lately, my success rate on hitting a quality shot with my 3 iron is like 20% while this new hybrid is about 80%.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:I hit my 3 iron, when I hit it good that is, about 230-240. This 20* seems to be the perfet replacement for the 3 iron. Lately, my success rate on hitting a quality shot with my 3 iron is like 20%
You hit a driver 300+, but get 230 out of a 3I(20% of the time)?

Damn, and I thought I had some swing inconsitencies. Now I don't feel so bad.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dins,

Yes. It is a LOT harder for me to catch the sweet spot on the 3I than on the driver. I don’t average 300+ with the driver. I never claimed that.

In any case, yes, I tend to be pretty inconsistent with my long irons. Down to my 6I I am pretty accurate. With the 5I I begin getting shake. 4I I am good punching out of trees, and hit a nice one occasionally off the tee when going for accuracy. 3I I am HORRIBLE with. Don’t even carry a 2I anymore.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm tellin ya man.....since I go the Armour T100 titanium irons, I don't have nearly as much trouble putting the middle of the face on the ball. Cheating. I guess it's the way the sole is weighted, or something. I can take a shitty haphazard swing with a 4I, and it still goes about where I aimed it, although I've been missing a little right lately(with all of the irons, pretty much, except PW, which I insist on yanking). It's probably a nice twist of fate that I don't have a 3I anymore, since then I might try to hit it. Although when I had one, I could rope it 250 all day off the tee. The titaniums don't put nearly the hard hit on the ball, but I'm willing to grab one more club and hit it straight, rather than shanking one club less with the old set. Since the Armours, my days of 240+ yard 4I's off the fairway seem to be gone, but my 4 seems to spend more time in the short grass. Maybe the fact that the Armours have medium graphite shafts(encourages me to slow down a little), where the old Wilson 1200 Oversize had steel which I could really hammer on, has something to do with it....ya think?

I WAS thinking about getting a (hopefully matching) 3I, but I think you guys(and others) have sold me -- I need a hybrid, I'm thinking. Actually, I need to swing better, but I'll check into a hybrid as a substitute.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And btw- I've gotten to where I use the 6I from under trees, almost exclusively. And I live in NW Oregon, and rarely hit the ball straight, so I know a thing or twelve about hitting out of trees. My theory being that if you're under a tree(around here anyway), it's probably lying on hard ground, or has some sketchy lie. At that point, you're pretty much blading it anyway to keep it under the branches, and I find it's easier to accurately catch the blade of a 6 than a 4, although sometimes I'll use the 4 for some extreme low shots. But, through MUCH practice(live, in-game)from under the trees, I find I can control the trajectory of the 6 pretty well.

Damn, if I could PLAY as mean a game as I talk on the internet, I'd be on to something, eh?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Oh i use the 6I most of the time out of trees when I am just trying to get back to the fairway. However, some holes where I play have doglegs that I try to fly over. Sometimes I'll not get it high enough off the tee and be deep in the bush. I can either chip back to the fairway backwards with my tail between my legs or go for the long low shot with a 4I.

In all honesty, I am pretty consisten when just punching my 4I long and low. Maybe I should try putting that same swing on my 3I out of the fiarway and see where it gets me.