Saving the Sport

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Saving the Sport

Post by Sudden Sam »

CFB is in really big trouble right now. The transfer portal is driving coaches out of the game and NIL is not being administered as it was intended. Not because he was at Bama, but because he loves the game, college admins need to listen to Nick’s thoughts.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/lists ... -to-sport/

5 reasons why College Football should heed Nick Saban's warnings

While serving as the Crimson Tide’s coach, Saban did not try to hide his emotions and thoughts on the constant changes to college football. Whether it be rule changes, the transfer portal, or name, image, likeness policies, he was one of the few whose opinion carried significant weight.

Now, as a retiree who is keeping close ties to the University of Alabama and college football overall, Saban wants to see some positive changes and plans on being a guiding force to make them happen.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Re: Saving the Sport

Post by Softball Bat »

From Sam's link...

What’s the biggest aspect of college football that sets it apart from professional sports? The fact that
the biggest stars on the field and the players deep on the depth chart are all tasked with attending
classes like everyone else. They are student-athletes. However, amid mass debates, many have seemed
to forget that...

D1 CFB has been a ridiculous farce for a very long time.
For decades, nobody in their right mind should have been taking it seriously.
It is not a realistic competition.
Fans and alumni of big university football programs are basically not in their right mind.
I have been laffing at them, and their insane enthusiasm for their school colors, for a long time.

Intercollegiate athletics were originally put in place because the athletic experience a student would have would supplement his overall educational experience.
The athlete is a student, and the athletic experience is part of his learning experience.
That's what it was meant to be.

Just more of the dumbing down of America.

Pimps and whores everywhere.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

'tart I am much more onboard with your thinking than Sam's.
Sam, you have rose colored glasses on, bro.
Saban does a fair amount of whining in the article,
but I didn't see him offering many solutions.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

I agree there was little if anything worthwhile in the article. But Saban can offer sensible advice to “fix” the mess that the game has become.

I think the powers that be need to appoint a small group as a commission to get the transfer portal insanity and NIL under control. There’s no doubt in my mind that more prominent coaches will leave the game if changes aren’t made.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

J. Manziel with S. Sharpe.

Watch starting at 10:45.
Manziel describes his decision to not return to A&M after his sophomore season.

Johnny's dad went to coach Sumlin after Johnny's sophomore season and told him if A&M pays the Manziel family 3 million dollars, Johnny will stay at A&M for two more seasons.
Johnny goes on the tell Shannon that, as they both know, these sort of deals have been going on in college football for decades.
Every big time school has a "bag man."

Hell, even Charles Barkley has spoken about how he, 40 years ago, was paid by Auburn.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

I didn't know this was a documentary.

Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.