Here You Go, Mikey

Post by Sudden Sam »

The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Re: Here You Go, Mikey

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

I'm giving it some thought.....

"Aces back to back"
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I’ll have to admit that it’s tempting. But to be honest, I haven’t seen any of the spin off groups since Jerry went on his last long strange trip. John Mayer does a very credible job and I saw Oteil a bunch of times when he was with Tedeschi and Trucks. I’ve liked the videos that I’ve seen but haven’t been that interested to go to a show for some reason. I lived in Vegas (Henderson actually) for six years in the 90s and spent five of them trying to get back here :lol: and haven’t been back since.
Oh yeah, the wife isn’t a fan (at all), so there’s that. Plus I would have no idea where I could score any quality windowpane.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Wouldn’t be comfortable buying acid from anyone these days. No idea who to go to.

I’m very uninterested in seeing any of these tribute bands or reconstituted versions of once great groups that I saw at their peak.

Younger friends tell me how great a particular “Allman Brothers Band” is. I saw the real ABB multiple times and there’s no chance this band playing their songs is going to affect me the way I felt in the early ‘70s.

I’m sure there are some super talented kids playing, but it’s not the same to me. I can see a Youtube video of an old concert or I can listen to great new bands, so let me savor the memories (hazy as they are) of the incredible bands I saw when I was young.

I will be seeing a band I love this weekend. Very heavy rockers. They get together maybe once a year. They play in other bands the rest of the time.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

I watched Journey last year with a hyper 4'11" Korean kid belting Steve Perry. It sounded good but felt off. Kinda like day 3 of camping sex.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:25 am I watched Journey last year with a hyper 4'11" Korean kid belting Steve Perry.
He's Filipino, but you were close....:meds:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I was kidding about the windowpane. I haven’t done anything like that in at least 40 years. These days it’s probably cut with fentanyl or something anyway. Saw the ABB once on NYE 1973 at the Cow Palace in Daly City. Unfortunately it was after both Duane and Berry had passed but they put on a great show. Jerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzman of the Dead, and Boz Scaggs jammed with them. Played until like 3:30 am. I think you can get that show on CD now. It was simulcast live on the local FM station and I’ve had a bootleg recording for years. Great Mountain Jam with Dickie and Jerry. The opening acts were Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker. Definitely a big dose of Southern rock and roll that night.

The wife is having some hearing problems lately and is really sensitive to loud sounds so we have to be careful about going to too many R&R shows, especially indoors. Seems like these days there’s a competition to see who can turn the sound up the loudest. The loud sound doesn’t bother me so much but it gets to the point where you can’t really hear the music. The only show on my schedule right now is Bonnie Raitt in September. She’s still the real deal.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:39 am The wife is having some hearing problems lately and is really sensitive to loud sounds so we have to be careful about going to too many R&R shows, especially indoors. Seems like these days there’s a competition to see who can turn the sound up the loudest.
Reminds me of when I saw Chicago at the SD Sports Arena. The sound waves were going everywhere like flubber.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

I missed seeing Duane with the Allmans. But they were still the ABB. Saw the Marshall Tucker Band many, many times. The version of that band touring these days has one original member, Doug Gray, the vocalist. I can’t bring myself to see a Caldwell-less MTB.

As far as volume, i’ll always remember my disappointment when I saw Kansas and Bad Company around 75-76. Kansas sounded perfect…the volume was high, but the music was crisp…perfect sounding. When Bad Company came out, the volume was cranked to the point that everything was distorted. I was a big Free and Mott the Hoople fan and had looked forward to seeing Rodgers, Kirke, Ralphs and Burrell. I was pissed as hell about the sound.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We saw Black Country Communion in San Diego in 2011 at a medium sized theater. We were sitting about 2/3 of the way back and lasted about three songs before we left. I couldn't make out any of the music and it was almost painful. Waste of time and money. The most disappointing one was a show that we drove five hours to see at an outdoor amphitheater in Paso Robles, and rented a room for the night. For years I had wanted to see the Mavericks and we had great seats dead center in the first row of the section above the flat front section, so a completely unobstructed view. The fucking bass and drums were so loud I could feel my pant legs ruffle like there was a wind blowing. Outdoors, I could actually deal with it but the wife was in pain. We walked up to the very back of the seating area where you could stand and it was still too loud. I talked to one of the ushers and she said she didn't get it. The place has great acoustics and you can hear acoustic and vocal groups with no amplification at all from any seat in the house. But the bands provide their own sound crew and most of them want to crank the PA as high as they can. I guess I'm just getting too old. She has some ear plugs now but we still need to be careful.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:25 am Kinda like day 3 of camping sex.
Can't let this gem slide by without a RACK!
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:26 pm The sound waves were going everywhere like flubber.
Sounds more like you were on acid. :psycho:
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

StrawMan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:11 pm
HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:25 am Kinda like day 3 of camping sex.
Can't let this gem slide by without a RACK!
:highfive: