Christmas Dinner

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Christmas Dinner

Post by Mikey »

We’re having our Christmas dinner tomorrow (Saturday). My son’s in-laws are coming down from Victorville a two to three hour drive. Total count of eight, including our daughter, and DIL’s mother, brother and cousin. Main attraction is going to be a prime rib roast, with baked potatoes, green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, sautéed chanterelle mushrooms, and Caesar salad.

I just picked up my four bone (11 lb +) roast from the butcher shop at our local grocery. This hunk of meat and bones cost me $290. :shock:

It better be fucking good at $25 per lb. It’s prime grade (most prime rib you see is actually choice) so it should be hard to fuck up unless I over cook it. I treated myself to a new wireless probe thermometer for the occasion. Getting hungry now just thinking about it.
Roach
The Space Man

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by Roach »

Ho ho ho

Damn I hope this works out ok... Going with a half an hour at 400 then 350 until finish. Add parboiled taters about 45 minutes before it hits medium. None of that bloody shit for me.

Pics to follow.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Imma do about the same thing. It’s gotta rest for 20 to 30 minutes before serving. That’s when I’m putting the Brussels sprouts in the oven (halved, tossed with some EVOO, garlic and salt) for 30 minutes. Nothing better than some nice crispy b sprouts.

Except maybe some $25/lb beef of course.
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

We are doing a reverse-sear prime rib (5 bones) on Christmas. It is air-drying with salt and pepper in the fridge right now. Kenji-Alt's recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-pri ... eef-recipe

We've done this several times and it has always been perfect. Lots of smoke at the end. But that is what sliding glass doors are for, right?

12.25 lbs x $15.99/lb = 195-ish (I think I might have been given a Christmas gift by the butcher...).

Hope all of you have very happy holidays!
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Traditional Jewish Xmas eve dinner with friends & then we are seeing Boys in the boat.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Roach
The Space Man

Post by Roach »

Leftovers from meal. Missed photo of it coming out of oven. The spuds were the bomb. Parboiled 15 minutes then tossed in along side roast for last 20 minutes. Forgot to turn them so they only browned nice on one side. Excellent roast except I was aiming for medium rare @160 degrees and got medium.

I went for the seasoning from meat market, very decent.

Here is my heater's famous jello cake. Most awesome

Lots of other stuff got cooked up, but the meat and potatos were my focus today.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Looks like a great feast. I didn’t get any pictures of ours except for the ones I posted in the weekend roll call thread. I also overcooked mine by a little (IMO) but everyone else thought it was perfect.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Cooked my rib roast in the smoker.

Too easy and sooooo good.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

How long did it take? Were you going low and slow and cooking all the way through, like for a brisket, or roasting at a higher temperature and going for medium rare, like 125 deg?
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Rubbed it down with salt and pepper only.

4.7 lb. roast took 2.5 hours at a cook temp of 240ish.

130 internal temp.