Will Nebraska be relevant again?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Will Nebraska be relevant again?

Post by H4ever »

With recent events involving several 3,4, and a 5 stars being poached from the likes of Ohio State and Fla... I'm wondering if the Huskers may be on the road to perennial top ten status again? Prob not.. but it's good to see Riley making progress. The cupboard has been bare post-Pelini but it's filling up fast. I'm excited and still myopic :)

P.S. How da fuck does PSU rise from the ashes so quickly?
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Re: Will Nebraska be relevant again?

Post by Cornhusker »

H4ever wrote:With recent events involving several 3,4, and a 5 stars being poached from the likes of Ohio State and Fla... I'm wondering if the Huskers may be on the road to perennial top ten status again? Prob not.. but it's good to see Riley making progress. The cupboard has been bare post-Pelini but it's filling up fast. I'm excited and still myopic :)

P.S. How da fuck does PSU rise from the ashes so quickly?
No 5*s have been poached from anywhere.
NU got a verbal from Tyjon Lindsey 4* formally a Buckeye commit.
The cupboard has been bare BECAUSE of Pelini which I believe is your reference.
Riley had a good class last cycle, nat'l ranked 25th. This will likely be a better class by at least 5 points. Both classes far exceeding anything Bo Peep came close to. He lived around mid to upper 30s.

Nebraska is proving it's serious about stepping up their game. Hiring essentially a player personnel director (NFL ties) and an overseer of football operations, which in turn has "assisted" Riley in dumping 3 long time assists, they've been very pro-active in changing the face of the program.
Within the next two years NU should be mentioned as "relevant" once again. Although 2018 is going to be a meat grinder of a schedule and 2017 starting young Riley recruits. I just hope this pain in the ass fanbase can give him at least 4 more years to judge the product.

Current verbals: Pos State Star rank
Austin Allen TE Neb. 3*
Broc Bando OG Fla. 3* (formally from Neb.)
Jaylin Bradley RB Neb. 2* (Would be pushing 4* if from Cali Tex or Fla.)
Tristan Gebbia QB Cal. 4*
Willie Hampton LB Fla. 3*
Brenden Jaimes OT Tex. 3*
Keyshawn Johnson Jr.WR Cal. 4*
Tyjon Lindsey WR Cal. 4*
Jaevon McQuitty WR Missouri 4*
Ben Miles FB La. 3* (Les's kid)
Avery Roberts LB Del. 4*
Matt Sichterman OT Ohio 3*
Deontre Thomas DT Okla. 3*
Guy Thomas DE Fla. 3*
Chris Walker OT Neb. 2*
Andrew Ward LB Mich. 3*
Deiontae Watts DT Tex. 3*

This is the new top 10 NU is chasing: (Copied from website not to be mentioned.)
1. DT Damion Daniels -- He is the best chance to add a third defensive lineman from the Husker staff's board and would be a nice fit as a nose tackle in the new 3-4 defense.
2. DB Deommodore Lenoir -- He shot up to No. 54 in the R100 and he'll be officially visiting NU this weekend.
3. ATH Greg Johnson -- One of the best athletes nationally this cycle who could play multiple positions for the Huskers.
4. WR Joseph Lewis -- He is down to Nebraska and USC.
5. Bryan Thompson and/or Randal Grimes -- With Lindsey's commitment big bodied receivers are the highest priority to round out the wide out class.
6. TE Kurt Rafdal and/or Nick Robinson -- NU could take both of them as Robinson is athletic enough to be a big bodied receiver as well.
7. DB Elijah Blades -- He will be announcing on signing day between Florida, Nebraska, USC and Oregon.
8. RB CJ Verdell -- He's looking like a possible candidate to flip from Oregon.
9. ATH Michael Onyemaobi -- NU has made up a lot of ground with him over the past few weeks.
10. Wildcard -- Similar to Grimes, there could still be some surprise new names to visit Lincoln for the last two weekends.

On the bubble: WR Jamire Calvin, DE Robert Beal, DE Lashawn Paulino, LB Jaquan Henderson, LB Isaac Slade-Matautia, WR Gavin Holmes, ATH Tony Wallace, DE Jordan Paup [no offer]

Nebraska’s recruiting Class of 2017 currently has 17 total commitments with 12 days to go, and there is room for 22-25 total new additions to the program signed for this cycle.

This class still has the potential to be a top 15-20 national class after Feb. 1 depending on how many of the remaining top targets come aboard from now until February 1.
:::::
Penn St. has a really good QB.. Makes you good from the jump. Ask USC. Think Buckeye fan would trade QBs with PSU?
NU hasn't had a freekin' decent QB for over 10 years.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cornhusker wrote:I just hope this pain in the ass fanbase can give him at least 4 more years to judge the product.

He'll be like 98 years old then.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i've been wondering what happened to our Nebraska representation here at BTPCF.

i thought the Riley hire was a touch underwhelming.....but, hey, better than Bill Callahan. seems like a guy who's great at winning 9 games with 7 game talent at Oregon State. i'm not sure what to think of Bo Pelini. he was pretty mediocre as a co-dc at Oklahoma (coaching the dbs).....being the architect of Matt Leinart tirelessly dry fucking OU in the BCS Championship game. kind of hard to forget/forgive.

i don't think the Big Ten move was a good one for NU, a touch reactionary.....but i get it.

my dad has some good friends he's been quail and pheasant hunting with in NE and OK for 30 years.....NU fans. great people. they would always travel for the Dr. Tom/Switzer era games. get the tickets. good times.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:i've been wondering what happened to our Nebraska representation here at BTPCF.
The ones we still have are sharp. NU reppin' is important to BTPCFB.

I do miss Brad, though.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Dinsdale wrote:
Cornhusker wrote:I just hope this pain in the ass fanbase can give him at least 4 more years to judge the product.

He'll be like 98 years old then.
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.
Riley is 6 months older than me..
The meter is running down for both of us. No matter how hard I look, theres no place to slip quarters in for extended time.
Git-ti-up. Bugeater football the last 20 years = :deadhorse:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

No doubt Texas killed that conference.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Nebraska was tired of not being the standard bearer and wanted to get gone for some time. They went from running the Big 8 to listening to what Texas and OU told them was going to happen. Add to that they could t beat Texas on the field and they got gone.

ATM wanted out of being the little brother. So they thought moving to the SEC would put them on a separate level. Thing is ATM was offered the chance to be a 50/50 partner in the Longhorn network and turned it down. Only when Texas was ready to sign the contract did ATM want back in. Dodds told them to get fucked at that point. Sad thing for ATM is they would have played for a number of Big12 titles had they not jumped to the SEC. The move also hasn't helped them move out of the little brother status either. They are what they were in Big 12, an upper tier mediocre team.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

KC Scott wrote:
Fuck Texas
:twisted:
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Left Seater wrote:Nebraska was tired of not being the standard bearer and wanted to get gone for some time. They went from running the Big 8 to listening to what Texas and OU told them was going to happen. Add to that they could t beat Texas on the field and they got gone.

ATM wanted out of being the little brother. So they thought moving to the SEC would put them on a separate level. Thing is ATM was offered the chance to be a 50/50 partner in the Longhorn network and turned it down. Only when Texas was ready to sign the contract did ATM want back in. Dodds told them to get fucked at that point. Sad thing for ATM is they would have played for a number of Big12 titles had they not jumped to the SEC. The move also hasn't helped them move out of the little brother status either. They are what they were in Big 12, an upper tier mediocre team.
which Big XII championships do you think ATM would have played for other than Manziel year? when they did asswhip Landry Jones/OU in the Cotton Bowl. and that was a BS OU team anyway...and not a SEC champ team. losers matchup. i do give you that one. but it's just one.

also, Nebraska only "ran" the Big 8 at the very end of the conference. Dr. Tom was 5-13 against Switzer and was losing to Bill McCartney some, too. so, i give NU the mid 90's and some really great teams but i don't think they ever ran the conference show. that center was Kansas City before we (BTPCF) started whoring for advertising revenue and went to the Texas schools in 1996. something like that, i think.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I could see them playing for two when Johnny D-Bag was there.

I also could have said added "with OU" to the part about running the Big 8. They went from having a say in the conf to having little to no say in the Big XII. On top of that they were 1-9 against Texas and 4-6 against OU in the Big XII. Winning 25% of their games against those two sure didn't help their hurt feelings.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.