Good riddance to

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Good riddance to

Post by Mikey »

Dean Spanos.

Take your trophy case and move to LA...err...Inglewood. I'm so tired of hearing how much you really want to stay in San Diego, I really don't GARA.

There were some good memories...
Dan Fouts
JJ
Kellen Winslow
Junior Seau
Ladanian Tomlinson

I won't be shedding any tears though. Losing management, losing organization. Sell the team to somebody who will build an "NFL worthy" stadium and field a quality team, and they'll be welcome back.

On second thought...fuck the NFL. A bunch of rich assholes sucking their fan base dry.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mikey

Re: Good riddance to

Post by Mikey »

Go Chargers!!

Really...just go.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I guess there are some people who actually care...

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

That new logo is abysmal. They don't even need a new logo in the first place!

Fuck the Spanos family, indeed.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Why move to LA, though?
Because the value of the franchise doubles in LA.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote:I honestly could see somewhere like Portland. They have always supported the Blazers.
It's not about butts in seats.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Papa Willie wrote:I know SD and well certainly LA both have a lot of transplants, but I hate it for actual locals like you and trev, Mikey. I'm glad I've never had to experience anything like that. I know the Falcons were talking about it a little a few years ago, and it pissed me off. Like you, I was going to go the route of "Fuck you".
You're always one sale away from having your team move away. And that's true of most teams.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

^^^ Gets it.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote:Television will finally succumb to advertisers saying "why advertise if no fucks are given?"
Because they're still watching the games on TV, just not attending.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:I honestly could see somewhere like Portland. They have always supported the Blazers.
It's not about butts in seats.

Not sure if the NFL is still in "never Oregon" mode. Stems from the huge lawsuit the NFL filed against the Oregon Lottery when they had Sports Action, which was parlays on NFL games. Lottery Commission kinda won the suit, but couldn't use team names, only the cities. It surprisingly wasn't all that popular, although it ran for years. Finally went away after the NCAA promised the city first-round NCAA hoops tourney games every other year (which it was determined would generate a lot more revenue than the lottery game). But I doubt the NFL has forgotten a state not bowing down to their "authority." Odd how they're willing to entertain the idea of a team in Vegas all of a sudden.

If there was any chance to move a team here, it would be a privately owned stadium. People here have no problem throwing a few million at the ancient downtown stadium for MLS (also where Portland State plays football. It would be difficult to expand it to NFL size, and there's zero parking, although the train stops right in front), and still bitch abut the basketball arena (built over 20 years ago). Any stadium would have to be in the burbs (Tualatin, just south on I-5 was all about it after a fake news story about how the Raiders were considering moving there... Tualatin, with it's massive population of 25,000, which is served by about 2 main roads, featuring 20 hours a day of gridlock).

There won't be NFL here in my lifetime.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Fuckin' sucks.

Lots of blame to go around on both Spanos & the city.

Spanos made the mistake of asking for a new stadium 3yrs after lobbying and receiving 125 million dollars worth of stadium upgrades so the city could host a SB.

City leaders worried about bad press like former Mayor Susan Golding received after guaranteeing sellouts at QC. So they sat on their hands. Current Mayor Kevin Faulconer was the first to work with the team in over a decade.

Unfortunately the Chargers were as abysmal at marketing the team and the stadium initiative as the are producing winning seasons.

Its a big loss for downtown San Diego, which has a lot less activity when the Padres and baseball season aren't in swing. NFL & MLB along with a convention center expansion would have turned downtown into the hustle & bustle of major activity year round.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Joe in PB wrote: NFL & MLB along with a convention center expansion would have turned downtown into the hustle & bustle of major activity year round.
MLB, sure.

But NFL teams play 8 home games per year and maybe a couple of pre-season. You really think that having home games ten times a year is worth spending a few hundred million of taxpayer $?
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Props to the voters of San Diego for channeling Vicente Fox by telling Spanos "We will not pay for that fuckin stadium!"
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Diego in Seattle wrote:Props to the voters of San Diego for channeling Vicente Fox by telling Spanos "We will not pay for that fuckin stadium!"
Yep

Why are you so lucid on everything but when it comes to sucking police crank?
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Mikey wrote:
Joe in PB wrote: NFL & MLB along with a convention center expansion would have turned downtown into the hustle & bustle of major activity year round.
MLB, sure.

But NFL teams play 8 home games per year and maybe a couple of pre-season. You really think that having home games ten times a year is worth spending a few hundred million of taxpayer $?
I look at it as half a year for each or at least most of a year for both. The NFL is the most popular league, and many fans of other teams travel to see NFL games on the road. There are ways to get a deal doe that are minimum impact to a city's citizens, hence cities like Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore having state of the art facilities for MLB & NFL. A deal that would have included an expansion of the convention center would have been huge for the city. Instead the Q will likely be demolished, San Diego St football scrapped, Comic Con & other large conventions moving to LA or Las Vegas, 10,000 condos added in its place, contributing more congestion. But hey, the city will have more tax revenue to waste on the barrio, & paying city employees more retirement than they received when actually working for the city. For the average citizen, especially a NFL fan, not a good trade off.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Moving companies refusing to move Chargers.

And here's how Clipper fans feel about the Chargers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TMUpmZKU58[/youtube]
9/27/22
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

My two cents... it simply boils down to $$$$$$$. Dean Spanos is a rich putz who has never worked a minute outside daddy's organization. With a move to L.A. this horsebleep franchise will double in value overnight. Fast forward 3-5 years and I guarandamtee you Deano sells the team and moves back down to Coronado or Rancho Santa Fe. You have to go back to the nineties with Bobby Ross or Marty to find a semblance of a cohesive organization. I did say "semblance' and of course it wasn't cohesive and both Ross and Schottenheimer were run out of town. It will take some time to figure out what this Chargerfan is going to do.
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

ChargerMike wrote: It will take some time to figure out what this Chargerfan is going to do.
Enjoy the weather?
Go Bucs, Gators
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: So all in all, there is less of a reason for the rest of the country to watch after their little butt-hurt owner is throwing a hissy fit. The fact they're moving two teams to a city that size that has lost several teams in the past just shows a whole lot of stupid to me.
T1B Rule of Thumb: Anything that Spray doesn't understand or thinks is stupid is the RIGHT decision.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:
LA ain't a football town. It's just that simple.

Uhm... wanna back up and take another run at that one?

Or should I help you out?
Papa Willie wrote:
LA ain't a NFL football town. It's just that simple.

Feeling dumb yet?

Possibly the best CFB town in the country.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

People in Southern California, unlike Macon, Ga., have LOTS of recreational options. They aren't going to waste their time watching shitty football, and paying out the NOSE for the privilege, too. When SC is really good, crowds at the Coliseum are very strong. When UCLA has a pretty good year once in a while, they also draw well.

Lots of So Cal residents LOVE LOVE LOVE football, just not the "local" pro team as there wasn't one for 20 years. This will take some time (and winning) to develop.