Is it me, or are the run totals way down this year?

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Roofer
Elwood

Is it me, or are the run totals way down this year?

Post by Roofer »

Just seems to me that we're seeing a lot more 2-1 games, and alot less 9-8 games.

I had heard comments over the off-season and in the wake of the capitol hill steroid hearings, that if someone wins the HR title with 35 dingers this year, it's really gonna look bad for baseball, coming on the heels of mandatory roid testing. I honestly think we're seeing the effects already in the run production.

I'm gonna have to dig up some numbers and look into this.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

A_Rod and some nobody from Bmore are leading the AL with 9. Expect your HR champ to be in the mid 40s at least.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

BSmack wrote:some nobody from Bmore
That 'nobody' is the AL MVP *by far.

*Right behind Vlad edit.
Last edited by PrimeX on Wed May 04, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm not sure if you've ever actually followed baseball before, but run production is ALWAYS lower in the spring than the summer.

Every year. For like 100 years.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Too early to say, really. I pulled the April splits from 2002-2005 from espn.com:

Code: Select all

Year  runs/game  HR/game
2002    4.63       0.95
2003    4.72       1.05
2004    4.92       1.08
2005    4.57       0.95

So it's possible, but I wouldn't say for sure that scoring is down until we have 6 months worth of data to look at.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

It's only April, bring this topic up in October.
Sin-
Yankme Fan
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

PrimeX wrote:
BSmack wrote:some nobody from Bmore
That 'nobody' is the AL MVP *by far.

*Right behind Vlad edit.
When your best full season before this is .273 4HRs and 53 RBI, you are a nobody. If Roberts is hitting at this kind of a clip in September, then I'll take it all back and give him his props. I'll also be wondering where the fuck Angelos found this kid, because it's not like the Os have spent like ...anything on prospects.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

He slow his HR pace and get back to stealing bases.
Sin-
Me, fanatsy owner
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Cueball wrote:He slow his HR pace and get back to stealing bases.
Sin-
Me, fanatsy owner
What's your problem. He's on pace to triple his SB output even now. Who did you think you were drafting? Omar Moreno? Dave Collins?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

I'm a greedy bastard. I'm in an AL-only league and have Roberts, Crawford and Podsednik :D
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

BSmack wrote:
When your best full season before this is .273 4HRs and 53 RBI, you are a nobody. If Roberts is hitting at this kind of a clip in September, then I'll take it all back and give him his props. I'll also be wondering where the fuck Angelos found this kid, because it's not like the Os have spent like ...anything on prospects.
I was preaching the word for Tejada. Roberts...yep, agree he's a nobody with a full keg of luck that will most likely be tapped out by June.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

PrimeX wrote:
BSmack wrote:
I was preaching the word for Tejada. Roberts...yep, agree he's a nobody with a full keg of luck that will most likely be tapped out by June.
My bad, I got the two confused. Tejada is going straight crazy with the bat. But nobody get's my love like Vlad. He's a beast. I wish he'd come back to the east coast.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Well crap - ESPN is keeping up with this on their main baseball stats page - scroll down to the Juice Box section:

[web]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics[/web]
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, scoring is really close to what it is every April. Very slight dropoff. Very slight. Factor in that a lot of games have been played in questionable weather, and it's right about on pace.

OK.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Cueball wrote:He slow his HR pace and get back to stealing bases.
Sin-
Me, fantasy owner
Uhhh, NO!

He's already got 12 SB. He LEADS the freaking major league in steals!
What more do you want?

He's tied for 2nd in HR's and is 4th in RBI's in all of MLB. Since we didn't draft him for his power or RBI numbers, we gotta ride this bitch for as far as he'll carry us.

WAR Brian Roberts, a 21st (and last) round draft pick!
FIGHT ON!
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

UNWAR having to play against Brian Roberts this week......
Roofer
Elwood

Post by Roofer »

Dinsdale wrote:So, scoring is really close to what it is every April. Very slight dropoff. Very slight. Factor in that a lot of games have been played in questionable weather, and it's right about on pace.

OK.
The numbers don't lie, but man, it just seems like there's more low scoring games than what I recall in the past. Maybe it's just a swing of teams that normally pound the ball are havin down years, and teams with usually weak offensive numbers are scoring more. Dunno, but like I said, the numbers don't support that.

We'll have to take a look at it later on in the year, see if it keeps up.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Roofer wrote:it just seems like there's more low scoring games than what I recall in the past.
Kinda does, a little. Remember though, that early in the season, injuries haven't bastardized the starting rotations, so there's been quite a few Ace vs. Ace duels.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Plus there are these three teams that rarely score. They go by the names Royals, Astros and Yankees...they're hogging the refreshments in the .200 average section and no doubt are helping to make this a banner pitcher friendly year.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Bonds hasn't been offering any refreshments either, this year.
why is my neighborhood on fire