Gridlock in DC

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Gridlock in DC

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's Dulles. And it was 1".

Local jurisdictions here are notorious for lack of preparation for snow. I went out last night for groceries around 9 and the streets were complete ice in my part of, where else, the District. I love to blame idiot drivers for failing to properly drive in adverse weather, but I can't blame them for last night. It's been freezing all week and the snow immediately hit the ground and became ice. Local jurisdictions didn't bother to put out salt. Arlington put out brine. BRINE. :?

If we lived in an irrelevant shithole like KC, nobody would care about our weather issues.

kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Most places south of the Mason-Dixon are ill prepared for snow and ice. I laughed at my son who moved to the DC area a year ago, actually had to go out and buy a snow shovel.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I'm guessing someone told the powers that be in DC that ice and sleet can control the rampant spread of Syphillis. They are probably out of ideas at this point.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

R-Jack wrote:I'm guessing someone told the powers that be in DC that ice and sleet can control the rampant spread of Syphillis. They are probably out of ideas at this point.
We wish it was just syphillis.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Arlington put out brine. BRINE. :?
Yes, dumbfuck, brine.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
R-Jack wrote:I'm guessing someone told the powers that be in DC that ice and sleet can control the rampant spread of Syphillis. They are probably out of ideas at this point.
We wish it was just syphillis.

Just one STD can't justify the outrageous cost of living. You're paying for the whole shebangabang.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:
Yes, dumbfuck, brine.
It apparently didn't work, dumbfuck. What's wrong with salt? Salt works.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Brine is salt, you fucking idiot.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:Brine is salt, you fucking idiot.
I thought it was just that marvelous flavor that comes through with a wonderfully fresh oyster.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

More properly it is sale water with a concentration of >5% salt. Whereas rock salt is 100% salt.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Ask the EPA around the corner.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Left Seater wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Ask the EPA around the corner.
Don't blame the fucking EPA. We still use rock salt throughout the northeast. What's their fucking excuse?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

FWIW the use of salt is banned in national parks (sand is used).
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Diego in Seattle wrote:FWIW the use of salt is banned in national parks (sand is used).
Same in the Adirondack Park in NY. Last I checked, the beltway isn't designated "forever wild."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Diego in Seattle wrote: (sand is used).
Which is basically worthless.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Smackie Chan wrote:Salt works if temps stay above 15 degrees. Otherwise...
Salt works down to about 10 degrees and it works best in heavy traffic situations, like the beltway, where passing traffic can work it into the pavement.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Obviously doesn't melt ice (or lower the freezing temperature) but maybe it provides better traction.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

mvscal wrote:
I never had a problem with losing traction. And that includes one winter where there was always snow/ice on the ground between November & March.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

They use some kind of pellets over here that melt to the pavement.

Looks almost like sleet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

No rock salt here. Bad for the road surface, bad for the plants, bad for the fish. Before ice is expected, they use a magnesium chloride brine on major roadways. Bear in mind, you generally can't go very far around here without going over a steep hill...

so when it snows every couple of years, we just stay home, for the most part. Usually melts in a day.

We actually had snow, maybe 3 weeks ago... like a half inch. Was all good, no prob... until it warmed up, then cooled right back down, and then the freezing rain came.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's watered down salt. Is there anything you haven't been dead wrong about yet? Go fuck yourself, cunt.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Sudden Sam wrote:Christ!

Move your asses below the M-D Line so you don't have to worry about that shit.

No, wait...forget I said that.
Not so fast...

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
It's watered down salt.
Which works better than salt which is something you would know if you weren't suffocating in your own rectum.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It apparently didn't work last night.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

It would have worked just fine...if they had put any down. They didn't because your mayor is a fucktard. I'm sure you even voted for the stupid cunt.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:It would have worked just fine...if they had put any down. They didn't because your mayor is a fucktard. I'm sure you even voted for the stupid cunt.
Again, you're dead wrong on multiple fronts. Let's make this easy: What have you been right about?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Kellie Boulware, a Maryland State Highway Administration spokeswoman, said the roads were not pre-treated because the forecast was calling for no more than a squall.

-----
In Virginia, state transportation officials did not pre-treat roads because forecasts called for temperatures so low that the treatment might freeze on roads, making them more hazardous (lame ass-covering bullshit, btw)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -c-region/
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Maybe my local DOT should start treating the roads right now... since it's 55 degrees.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We're not expecting any snow or ice for at least the next week.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:
Kellie Boulware, a Maryland State Highway Administration spokeswoman, said the roads were not pre-treated because the forecast was calling for no more than a squall.

-----
In Virginia, state transportation officials did not pre-treat roads because forecasts called for temperatures so low that the treatment might freeze on roads, making them more hazardous (lame ass-covering bullshit, btw)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -c-region/

From the Arlington County gov website:

http://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/ ... arlington/
Based on weather predictions, we, and the entire region, underestimated the amount of yesterday’s snow, and the ice that came with it. Our crews began pre-treating some streets with brine, in anticipation of tomorrow’s expected blizzard. They did not get to all of them before the snow began to fall, and it is not clear that the brine helped, due to the very cold roadways, heavy traffic and heavier-than-expected snow. Across the region, crews were caught by surprise.
Again, is there anything in this thread you haven't been wrong about? You're batting .000.

Go fuck yourself.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Some streets? Couldn't have been very many since the whole fucking city was paralyzed.

Face it, you got fist fucked by one measly inch of snow because the fucking morons that run your life were too lazy and/or stupid to prepare for an event that was well known ahead of time. Zero prep is the only way a city of any size gets "paralyzed" by a fucking inch of snow.

Deal with it, you stupid, coin operated faggot.
Last edited by mvscal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

They lay down brine 2 days before any major storm up here. If snow gets compacted to ice on the roadways turns to ice and salting can be somewhat futile.
You can salt the roads like a fukken Ruth's Chris steak...and it will barely make a dent with traction.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

Atomic Punk wrote:
I thought it was just that marvelous flavor that comes through with a wonderfully fresh blow job.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:They lay down brine 2 days before any major storm up here. If snow gets compacted to ice on the roadways turns to ice and salting can be somewhat futile.
You can salt the roads like a fukken Ruth's Chris steak...and it will barely make a dent with traction.
Can't really predict lake effect like that, or for that matter, 1 inch of snow in DC.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Lake effect doesn't hit TO as bad as it should, we're spoiled. But the salt is alarming, after decades everything around the highways is rotting and dying, the salt gets into the water table. It's only just starting to happen and it isn't pretty.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'd rather deal with 1' of snow than 1" of solid ice.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'd rather deal with 1' of snow than 1" of solid ice.
Ice is the only kind of storm we fear in Rochester. Had one in 91 that fucked our shit up for 2 weeks. The local power company was getting people back on line for two solid weeks. And it wiped out about 1/3 of the trees in the city.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

BSmack wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'd rather deal with 1' of snow than 1" of solid ice.
The local power company was getting people back on line for two solid weeks. And it wiped out about 1/3 of the trees in the city.
So dude lost his beer fridge and a maple fell?
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Prior to a storm, you do a heavy dump of a rock salt/sand blend at intersections. Then you increase travel speed on roadways to lightly disperse said blend. Depending on storm intensity and snowfall amounts and the wind speed driving the stuff... run the plows accordingly. All fucking day or night if you have to. But... only on snow routes and major transportation arteries.

4-high or all-wheel drive gets you through the other areas with a little experience and caution. Black ice? Big fuggin' deal. Can't believe how 1 inch of snow or some freezing rain shuts entire states the fuck down. Pussies.