Recently found music artists that you dig

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Recently found music artists that you dig

Post by Joe in PB »

I have Sirius Satellite radio in my car and one of the things I like about it is hearing bands that I wouldn't on the local FM dial. One of my favorite stations is Bluesville, I know some people feel blues & jazz is the same ole' thing, the truth is so is much of music. What I like about blues is it crosses the boundaries of country & rock. I enjoy taking the trip back to classic rock now & then, but find it boring on an every day basis. I already posted some of my new found bands the last few years in the female singers, and 2014 album of the year threads, Tedeschi Trucks, Trampled Under Foot, Dana Fuchs, & Gary Clark Jr.

Feel free to add any kind of music you like, there are no right or wrong answers.

Ana Popovic who in general I find hard to believe nobody is talking about.

Mike Zito

Mindi Abair

Last edited by Joe in PB on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Bands & artists I have found & dig the last few years

Post by Goober McTuber »

Joe in PB wrote:Dana Fuchs.
Do tell.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Popa Chubby

Candy Dulfer

Samantha Fish

Joanne Shaw Taylor

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Friday is my favorite night to head to a local watering hole to listen to live music.

Joanne Shaw Taylor, Mike Zito, & Samantha Fish

Kim Wilson ((harmonica) of the Fabulous Thunderbirds) & Barrelhouse Chuck (piano) & band

Ana Popovic & Ronnie Earl

Rick Estrin and the Nightcats

Tab Benoit & Tommy Castro w/Samantha Fish

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Recently found music artists that you dig

Post by Mikey »

Been listening to Bluesville a lot myself lately. It's good workout music for when I'm on my rowing machine.

Gotta RACK Amazon Prime too. At lot of good stuff available there for free if you have Prime. Sometimes when I hear some artist I never heard of on Sirius I'll got to Prime and see what's there. Downloaded a bunch of stuff by Tommy Castro the other day that's pretty good. I've also gotten a lot of Buddy Guy, some old Bonnie Raitt, a Winton Marsalis/Eric Clapton collaboration. A bunch of old Miles and Herbie Hancock as well.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Exactly, I pilfer Amazon Prime too, got to make the most of the $79 introductory fee I paid to join up this year. Good stuff.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Who gives a shit? I've looked around quite a bit, mostly there is a lot of old stuff. To tell the truth most of the time when I listen to old stuff these days, it blues. For me its fresh, and of course is Rock & Rolls foundation. We all pick & choose what we like, or want to hear. If someone doesn't like it, feel free to scroll to something else or view another thread. At least most of the artists I posted about are contemporary.

I did check out the Blue Pills, & I thought they were good, that's what this forum should be about, finding new artists & groups, especially those that aren't on the local FM dial. I never listen to FM, its mostly a bunch of pop music that borders on rap, hip hop, American idol crap, or the same classic rock bands over & over. Southern California's classic rock stations are particularly bad. I've found they're often better out east. The stations I listen to mostly on Sirius are Bluesville (Blues), Classic Vinyl (classic rock from 60s-70s), Deep Tracks ( classic rock which encompasses lesser-known album tracks), Lithium (Grunge), & Water Colors (contemporary or smooth jazz).

For me music is a lot like alcohol, my tastes change & expand over time. Blues make a for a great night out, if I were in KC, I'm sure Knuckleheads Saloon would be a favorite (& I'd fit right in). :mrgreen:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Real Jazz on Sirius is great too - if you're into real jazz. Personally I got tired of "smooth jazz" some time around 1990. Used to listen to 98.1 "Champagne Jazz" regularly but it all started sounding the same.

There's also an excellent jazz station on FM in San Diego, 88.3 I think.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Something different.

ELUVEITIE

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Joe in PB wrote:Blues make a for a great night out, if I were in KC, I'm sure Knuckleheads Saloon would be a favorite (& I'd fit right in). :mrgreen:
Haven't been there yet, but I hear of all types of good bands who have or are going to be.

Knuckleheads is in the trendy new Crossroads district, basically downtown. I wish I was 25 years younger, i'd be there often.

That did not suck.

KC has a rich blues history/tradition so it's no surprise that bands like that receive a warm welcome here.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Sudden Sam wrote:Nice find! I like it.

I go to small record company sites all the time and find great bands. Bloodshot (I found Meat Purveyors, Scott Biram, I'm Not Jim) , Bomp/Alive (I turned up Radio Moscow, Dirty Streets, Hollis Brown), etc.

The small labels usually give stuff away to get exposure.
Thanks, & good tips. I actually found ELUVEITIE on Youtube after viewing a Blue Pills video. Youtube picks up on what you're viewing and presents other viewing alternatives. I found the band very interesting with its wide assortment of instruments and musicians.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

War Wagon wrote:
Joe in PB wrote:Blues make a for a great night out, if I were in KC, I'm sure Knuckleheads Saloon would be a favorite (& I'd fit right in). :mrgreen:
Haven't been there yet, but I hear of all types of good bands who have or are going to be.

Knuckleheads is in the trendy new Crossroads district, basically downtown. I wish I was 25 years younger, i'd be there often.

KC has a rich blues history/tradition so it's no surprise that bands like that receive a warm welcome here.
Gotta get out and enjoy yourself now & then wags. The nice thing about Knuckleheads is it won't be filled with peeps 21-25 years old. You'd fit in fine and have a good time if you could talk your better half into going.
Mikey wrote:Real Jazz on Sirius is great too - if you're into real jazz. Personally I got tired of "smooth jazz" some time around 1990. Used to listen to 98.1 "Champagne Jazz" regularly but it all started sounding the same.

There's also an excellent jazz station on FM in San Diego, 88.3 I think.
I'll have to check out real jazz, I have listened to SD ST 88.3 before and its better than most stuff on FM. I just don't listen to FM much anymore. Thanks
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Joe in PB wrote:At least most of the artists I posted about are contemporary.
So how is that important? If you haven't heard it before, it's new. There's decades and mountains of songs in the top 100 that have disappeared and vanished from memory that just need to be rediscovered to be enjoyed. Nothing wrong with old.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Dr_Phibes wrote:
Joe in PB wrote:At least most of the artists I posted about are contemporary.
So how is that important? If you haven't heard it before, it's new. There's decades and mountains of songs in the top 100 that have disappeared and vanished from memory that just need to be rediscovered to be enjoyed. Nothing wrong with old.
True, it wasn't that long ago I started listening and enjoying Muddy Waters, Sonny Terry, Magic Sam, Albert king etc.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Joe in PB wrote: True
So you agree that The Shadows would kick Led Zeppilin in the face.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Dr_Phibes wrote:
To each there own, there are no wrong choices in music, except not listening to any imo. I agree that there is a lot of great old stuff, from Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc, to Sonny Boy Williamson (I & II), Les Paul, Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Joe Turner, etc, to Motown greats. Just depends on my mood. There's a bar here in town that features a band that plays old Motown hits from the 50s & 60s about once a month, its always a good time. I equate live music to going to a game at a stadium, although I prefer smaller venues for music, good stuff.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

War Wagon wrote:Haven't been there yet, but I hear of all types of good bands who have or are going to be.

Knuckleheads is in the trendy new Crossroads district, basically downtown. KC has a rich blues history/tradition so it's no surprise that bands like that receive a warm welcome here.
I just realized Samantha Fish is from KC. While she isn't yet great, she is very good, a good guitar player & singer who writes much of her own material. I believe she's only 22 years old, but sounds like she's already been in the industry 10 years or more. She's a female Johnny Lang and has a bright future, and seeing her would make for a great night out. My guess is her local shows are probably sold out quickly, but she's out and about often. I wish the music scene here was as good as KC.

http://www.mikezito.com/2012/07/samanth ... ist-debut/

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dr_Phibes wrote:

I ate at a Mexican restaurant two weeks ago and I swear that song was playing over the cook's cassette player.

P.S. ~ The enchiladas were TERRIBLE!
:x
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Joe in PB wrote:
Nice legs. 8)

Not a bad set of DSL's either!
Why don’t you just STFU.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I've got girls with guitars live and loaded runaway free with Amazon Prime. Runaway is better and pretty good imo. The live version's best tracks are the originals sung by Fish,
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote: Legs are a little thick for my taste.
The hell you say... we're going to have to invoke the Dinsdale rule here.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I like it, actually just found out about Sue Foley & Peter Karp last week on Amazon, which offers similar selections to what you've ordered in the past. She sounds great, I need to listen to them more as they seem to work well together. Austin would be another terrific town for live music.

I heard the first song below on Sirius this morning from the Danielle (Schnebelen) Nicole Band, she has a sort (6 song) sampler CD coming out March 10th, and a full length CD called Wolf Den to be released in August. I think she's the best newish female singer I've heard. Not that many videos to choose from, I picked a couple with the best sound.

I still prefer Trampled Under Foot, manly because her brother Nick also sang and that provided a nice counter balance to the sets, but still dig her stuff. I'd guess she would still play/sing some TUF songs during her live performances.

EDIT: The Schnebelens are also from KC wags.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Listening to Liquid Metal on Sirius

turned me onto

Upon A Burning Body...
Motionless In White...

and a host of others
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Jam in the Van

North Mississippi Allstars

Pimps of Joytime

Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I thought I'd add something from North Mississippi Allstars when Luther isn't using a tin can banjo or cigar box guitar, lol.

Last edited by Joe in PB on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Papa Willie wrote:I love blues. No way around it. I like playing blues, but I'll be honest - it gets a little boring after awhile - unLESS you have a band that isn't afraid to use extreme dynamics. Let's face it - there usually aren't many chord changes in it, so you're better off if you go from real quiet to real loud if you're gonna keep from boring a lot of people to death. Still - that's where most of my roots are.
I tend to bounce around, from blues to jazz to rock & so forth. Listening to any one genre can get old imo, combine many and stuff stays fresh. Lets face it, many people don't listen to much music once they're out of school, work, family, etc, takes most of their time. Many still listen to the same stuff as when they were in school, I have several friends from HS who listen to exactly the same stuff we were into then. They claim all the new music sucks, but don't listen to anything new, let alone a new genre. To each their own. I've been listening to more music than I used to because I'm working in a cube all day now, & have a fairly long commute, but I'm also open minded and like to check out new things.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Listening to Liquid Metal on Sirius

turned me onto

Upon A Burning Body...
Motionless In White...

and a host of others
Sudden Sam wrote:Parker Millsap
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I've been listening to their new cd and like it a lot. Glad to hear they're down to earth nice guys, because that's what seems to come out in their music. Good stuff, thanks.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I saw the Carolina Chocolate Drops on a roots music special maybe a couple of years ago and was pretty impressed, especially with Rhiannon Giddens who sings and plays fiddle and banjo. Saw them a couple of other times on TV, can't really remember where, and then as a solo on the Inside Llewyn Davis documentary and on the New Basement Tapes documentary on Showtime.

She now has a new solo album produced by T Bone Burnett. This woman is incredibly talented, performing in multiple styles from bluegrass to blues to folk to country to spirituals to Irish and Scottish folk songs. Can't link to YouTube from here but check it out if you have a chance.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Check out Letterman's reaction to this performance.
I guess he liked it.

This is from the documentary about the Llewyn Davis concert. Same song as the one on Letterman, plus some other material with the Punch Brothers.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

This is more my speed.

Last edited by Joe in PB on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Gracie Curran & The High Falutin' Band, 2014 Blues Artist of the Year. Heard this song on the way into the office yesterday, on Bluesville. They don't have much from the band on Youtube, and the video audio is so so unfortunately.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Jam in the Van

Larkin Poe

MR. ELEVATOR & THE BRAIN HOTEL

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

The Rides (Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Stephan Stills & Barry Goldberg & SRV drummer Chris Layton)

Been out a couple years.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Interesting, I'll see you 1 Drew Carey Jr.

and raise you 1 Dust Bowl Revival Sam, lol.

I prefer more musicians.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

After picking up North Mississippi Allstars Live Album "Do it like we used to", I'm really digging these guys now.

I know, I'm a redneck.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Joe in PB wrote: I know, I'm a redneck.

You probably have the most banal taste in music I've ever come across.

Do you also collect souvenir spoons and write letters to your local TV station.

jesus....

:meds:
Why don’t you just STFU.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

No, I listen to music for a number of hours each day during the week. Hence different genre's for different circumstances. But hey if I only listened to music a few hours every week, I probably could pigeon hole myself into a single genre, and every few months, find a new band I like. :meds:
Last edited by Joe in PB on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Oh boy. Well...don't let me waste any more of your time in pursuit of kicking out the jams.

Can't wait for that killer washboard and jug YouTube you're going to drop on us...
Why don’t you just STFU.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Feel free to contribute, otherwise what is there to complain about? I'm not making you listen. I'll see if I can keep the jug & washboard Youtubes to a minimum, no guarantees though. :lol: