Question for Lefty re: the Oregon/Utah TD return

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Question for Lefty re: the Oregon/Utah TD return

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Everyone's seen the highlight by now of the Utah player dropping the ball before he crossed the goal line and Oregon returning it 99 yards for a TD. What I'm wondering is, since the first Oregon defender to touch the ball had just run out of bounds, then came back in and grabbed the ball (which had by then rolled into the end zone), would that constitute illegal touching or some other violation, or does illegal touching only apply to receivers who have gone out of bounds and come back in? Did the refs make the right call in allowing the Oregon TD to stand, or should it have been ruled a touchback?
"Keys, woman!"
matteric
Elwood

Re: Question for Lefty re: the Oregon/Utah TD return

Post by matteric »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Did the refs make the right call

Son, I know you and your ilk are new to how we roll in the PAC 12 and how things are done here... so, I found a little video of how we roll.

Get used to it

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2260 ... uninvolved
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

schmick wrote:worst refs period, including JAAF Jr Micro
FTFY.

Sorry guys. I must've had a brain-fart last night. I'm all too familiar with Pac 12 refereeing incompetence, especially after witnessing it firsthand last year.

"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Fuck me, I guess I am the only one who hasn't seen it. I officiated my game Sat and then flew a bucket list trip.

Just googled the play and I think they got it correct from the YouTube clip I saw.

So a fumble by the offense which ends up in their endzone is still a live ball. If no one attempts to secure it then it would become a dead ball and would be treated as a touchback. The defending team would have it first and 10 from their 20.

If the defending team picks it up and runs it out of the endzone it is their ball as far as they advance it.

Illegal touching isn't in play here because it is a live ball.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

schmick wrote:
Im a USC fan, I couldnt give two shits about nogball
FTFY again. NC.
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

schmick wrote: Do the refs have a signal that they use to show the ball is live or not?
No, there is no signal for a live ball. If the official isn't blowing his whistle or giving one of the dead ball signals, it is still live.
schmick wrote:The Trojan Brunch, which is a radio show on sundays after games, show after USC vs Utah one of the hosts said that the refs usually throw a hat down on the sideline to show that the ball is live
Like most radio shows these guys don't know what the hell they are talking about. Listen at your own risk. There isn't a signal to show a ball is still live, so throwing a hat by the official was for something else. Officials mostly throw their hat to signal that a WR or member of a kicking team went out of bounds. They do this regardless of if he went out on his own or was pushed out. They sometimes will also throw their hat when there is a second foul on a play and they have already thrown their flag.
schmick wrote:I have seen refs throw bean bags on the field when there is a fumble but not a hat. After Oregon had picked up the ball and was running the other way, you see the ref take off his hat and throw it, what was he signalling?
An official will throw his bean bag when he sees a ball fumbled or to mark the end of a scrimmage kick and the beginning of the run. In the Utah vs Oregon game the covering official threw his bean bag at the 1 yard line when the Utah player fumbled the ball at the one yard line. The live ball was then picked up by an Oregon player and a Utah player stripped the ball from him right near the goal line. This was a second fumble and since he had already thrown his bean bag he threw his hat to signal a second loose ball.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

A whistle kills a play regardless of what happens after.

So the USC WR isn't smart enough to understand or the USC coaching staff isn't smart enough to teach what a backwards pass is? Got it.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

schmick wrote:True freshman mistake, too many 17 year olds having to play when the team only has 43 scholarhip players making the trip

HS freshmen maybe, not D-1 college freshmen.

If SC has one 17 year old player I would be surprised.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Cool, congrats to him. I am still surprised though.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Actually that is on SC. Knowing you had fewer scholarships why would you risk one on a kid who would normally still be in HS? For the most part there is a huge difference in maturity between a 16 year old, a 17 year old and an 18 year old.

Sounds like SC went for him based on talent alone and not the complete package.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Just because you deny the other athletic programs at SC actually exist doesn't mean they weren't cheating as well. The punishment was rightfully higher due to the culture of the whole department.

And while most of us agree with you that PSU should have gotten far more than they did, it doesn't therefore mean USC was over punished. Rather it just means that PSU was under punished.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I didn't know about the golf infractions. But add that to the football and basketball and the "lack of institutional control" is even more justified.

Were any of the violations you listed above found to have occurred while there were violations in other sports at the same school? If no, then there is your answer.

Just because you only speak about Reggie cheating, doesn't mean the other SC violations didn't occur. And just because you only look at football doesn't mean the rest of the world does.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

LTS is proud of your denials.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

schmick wrote:one basketball player who got a TV from his club coach
A TV, to go along with that huge bag of cash they gave him.

At a school that hadn't gone 5 years without a Major Violation since the day the NCAA came up with "major violations."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Since this seems to be the de facto thread for bitching about Pac 12 refs, did anybody else see that fumble by Mariota that they prematurely blew dead? With the Buffs being such an overwhelming favorite, I guess the zeebs decided that the gutty little Ducks need all the help they can get.
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Was the play reviewed? If not was it an inadvertent whistle?

I will look for a clip of it and give you my thoughts.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

It wasn't reviewed, nor was it an inadvertent whistle. It happened on the Ducks' first drive. Mariota was getting tackled and lost control of the ball on his way down. By the time he landed, the ball was loose but against his side. A CU player picked it up, but the play had already been blown dead.

Not saying it had any significant effect on the outcome of the game, except that it might've been the spark the Buffs needed to cover the spread. Just adding it to the ever-growing heap of Pac 12 refereeing incompetence.
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:It wasn't reviewed, nor was it an inadvertent whistle. It happened on the Ducks' first drive. Mariota was getting tackled and lost control of the ball on his way down. By the time he landed, the ball was loose but against his side. A CU player picked it up, but the play had already been blown dead.

Not saying it had any significant effect on the outcome of the game, except that it might've been the spark the Buffs needed to cover the spread. Just adding it to the ever-growing heap of Pac 12 refereeing incompetence.

I am sure the booth looked at it, but maybe didn't warrant a game stopping review. If it really was close CU might have wanted to challenge it.

Again I haven't seen it so not saying they were right or wrong, just speculating.