A forum for Shine to shine.

Moderators: Shine, indyfrisco

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: 2013 CFB Pickem - Week 8 Scores

Post by Dinsdale »

2?

I managed... 2.

Next week I'll reverse my picks... and get 1.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

I couldn't ask for a better weekend. 8)
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

I'm about done with Wyoming. Faggots. And I'm still wondering what I was thinking when I picked Iowa State to cover +38.5, ignoring the Baylor-Is-A-Mortal-Lock-At-Home theory...
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

The season results show two things, 1) just how hard it is to even break even when betting real money, 2) how many people lie about their success when betting or coming home from Vegas.

Bases on standard vig of $10 per $100, only 14 people of the 35 would even break even. 9 of the 35 would be making a tiny profit and 5 might have enough winnings to buy dinner at a nice restaurant.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Left Seater wrote:The season results show two things, 1) just how hard it is to even break even when betting real money, 2) how many people lie about their success when betting or coming home from Vegas.

Bases on standard vig of $10 per $100, only 14 people of the 35 would even break even. 9 of the 35 would be making a tiny profit and 5 might have enough winnings to buy dinner at a nice restaurant.
A real gambler wouldn't play ten games....a degenerate gambler might, but a guy who plays to make money would expose a game or two and make his money.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Not only that, but serious bettors have the luxury of shopping dozens of outlets with varying fluctuating spreads. We're at the mercy of a singular, stagnant set of lines. One reason serious gamblers are good at what they do is because they're experts at monitoring the movement of lines and pouncing when the time is right.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Just picking the winner and not worrying about the spreads wouldn't be a slam dunk either.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

88 wrote:That ^^^^ is the bullshit thinking that makes Vegas glitter with other people's gold. No one wins at sports gambling.
Well, duh. Vegas makes their money off the 99% of idiots out there. But there is a small percentage of professional sports bettors who make money doing what they do. I'm talking about those people.

And just to be perfectly clear, I generally agree with your takes on sports betting. I would not, under any circumstance, encourage anyone to bet on sports for any reason other than entertainment purposes. If you are trying to supplement your income, you're doing it wrong.