Wild Card/LDS Thread

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Wild Card/LDS Thread

Post by Shoalzie »

Tigers-A's part deux...A's had home field in this series last year but they had the wacky format of starting the series in the lower seed's park for two and then having the last three in the higher seed's park. Tigers were able to gain momentum with the first two and hung on to win in it Game 5.

The A's follow some of the money ball principles...play defense and see a lot of pitches but they rely on the home run more so than the Tigers and they strike out a lot. The huge key will be the A's bats wearing out the Tigers' starters and getting into the bullpen as soon as possible. The series where the A's took 3 of 4 at Comerica...their strength was the ability to see a lot of pitches and got the Tigers' starters out of games early and got big efforts from Crisp and Moss. Even if they didn't score runs early on, they'd make the starters use a lot of pitchers and it got them out of the game quicker. Simple concepts for the Tigers...get first pitch strikes if you're the pitcher and convert with RISP. A bugaboo down the stretch for the Tigers has been not getting runners in from scoring position...against inferior opposition.

The Tigers will not win a battle of bullpens against any team in the postseason. They need 7+ from their starters. I'd be alright if all we had to see was Veras/Smyly in the 8th and Benoit in the 9th. With an off day every three days...you can ride the few good relievers they do have. Porcello in middle relief could be an x-factor but if they're in the bullpen in the 5th or 6th inning, it'll be a quick series. Bullpen depth is a major factor...no Dotel, Rondon is iffy health-wise, and Coke is hurt/terrible. Al Al walks too many guys so I'd hate to see him in a tie game. The shorter series will also play a big role...winning the first two at home in a best-of-5 is huge compared to a best-of-7. The Tigers are more vulnerable in a best-of-5 but their starting pitching depth makes them a tougher out in a 7-game series. Splitting the first two in Oakland is a must...the series will end in 3 or 4 if the A's go up 2-0.

Tigers in 5...my hope is the rotation goes Scherzer, Sanchez, Verlander, Fister.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Wild Card/LDS Thread

Post by Goober McTuber »

WTF? I thought this was a thread about Mormons, magic underwear and whatnot.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No Latos for the Reds in the wild card game...Cueto to start instead.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/97431 ... -card-game

Love the Dodgers over the Braves in the other LDS matchup that's set. From a Tiger fan, I'll give it to Kershaw and Grienke as the best duo at the top of a rotation. Statistically, the two best pitching staffs this year...Braves can't compete if this gets to be a slugfest.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Nice...tiebreaker game on Monday night. Rays wanted to give that game away today.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Let's see, I called all of the AL division winners but fucked up in the NL. My World Series pick is still set though.

Tonight it will be Reds over Pirates, 6-4.

In the AL I like the Indians to beat the Rays who are lucky to even be in this play-in game. Cleveland 8, Rays 3.

Braves are actually good enough to get over in the Division Series this year and beat the Dodgers, but they find a way to gag every single year. I say Dodgers mow them down with that pitching and win in 4.

Reds beat the Tards in the other series in 4. It's been a long time coming and the Cardinals don't have much left from that 2011 team.

ALDS BoSox coast in in 3 games over the Indians....best rotation in the bigs plus a badass lineup and bench....awesome bullpen.

other series I'll go with the Tigers to beat the fluky A's whom everyone says to be afraid of :lol: Detroit wins in 5 here.

All of these silly series are to prolong the World Series trophy coming to Boston yet again.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I just don't have a good feeling about this Oakland match up, and it doesn't have anything to do with YAFJ's patented death knell. I just think Detroit's pitching is going to have to be lights out and win games 2-1, 3-2, etc. Which they can do. Because I just don't think the Tiger bats are going to do much. Cabrera's injury has rendered him useless as a power hitter. He can only single his way on base or get walked now. So if other hitters don't step up big then Detroit is going to need dominant performances from all of their starters.

Predictions after the wildcard games are set.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

So, that's what the Jake looks like with fans in it...thanks for showing up, Cleveland. Better late than never. Detroit's economy is just as shitty but they draw 3 million two years running...what's their excuse?

That being said, Go Rays!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:what's their excuse?
You answered the question in the Jimmy Smokes thread: Two trips to WS and three division titles didn't happen in Cleveland.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Cabrera's injury has rendered him useless as a power hitter. He can only single his way on base or get walked now.

When he swings the bat, dude still can stroke singles. Heard a term on the radio from the recent past...he's the new Singlio. I'm sure we'll see the old Miggy with an offseason of rest. For now, he's still the best contact hitter in the game and I think they can win without the long ball.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:what's their excuse?
You answered the question in the Jimmy Smokes thread: Two trips to WS and three division titles didn't happen in Cleveland.

I guess the next stadium they build in Cleveland should have a roof because that fanbase always fears the sky is falling.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Would the Tribe PLEASE tie this bitch up so that Perez can pee down his leg in the 9th and then off himself later this winter?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Crazy Delmon comes alive again...have fun with that, Boston.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Shoalzie wrote:Crazy Delmon comes alive again...have fun with that, Boston.

Boston won the season series 12-7. They smoked the fuck out of them and lapped them for the division title. Lester is set up for Game One and is going to mow them down with his world series championship experience, and Ortiz will yack Moore yard in the first inning to set the tone. Boston fans are going to intimidate the Rays and Maddon will have that befuddled look on his face because he knows the Sox own him.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Boston hasn't had a sweat out a game in quite...don't think you can just "flip the switch". Tampa backed into the playoffs but they're battle tested right now. If you're the Sox, defend Fenway...take the first two and they shouldn't have to worry. Don't give the Rays a reason to believe because that's a team in recent years that loves to prove everyone wrong.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm going...

Cards over Bucs in 4
Dodgers over Braves in 3

Tigers over A's in 5
Rays over Sox in 5
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cardinals in 4
Dodgers in 4

Red Sox in 4
Tigers in 5
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Haven't seen the lineup but some notes on the series roster...Alvarez and Putkonen in the bullpen in place of the injured Coke and Rondon and no Tuiasosopo, Peralta will be the righty LF to platoon with Dirks (I assume). I liked Evan Reed's big arm...I don't know if he makes the cut or not.

Porcello worked some out of the pen in the Marlins series...he'll probably be a middle relief guy. Alvarez would be the long man from the left side. But like I said before, you want at least from the starters. The less innings from this bullpen, the better. The starters last year had such a dominating run through the AL but that include 4 games against dead and rotting Yankee team.

Rest of the bench, I'd imagine Pena (backup catcher), Kelly (OF and corner IF utility player) and Santiago (infield utility player). I don't think they have Hernan Perez on the roster but he would be a nice guy to have as a late inning pinch runner option.

The typical lineup:
Jackson CF
Hunter RF
Cabrera 3B (I fully expect him to pulled late in games if they're ahead for defense)
Fielder 1B
Martinez DH
Peralta LF (Dirks vs. RH only?)
Infante 2B
Iglesias SS
Avila C (not sure if Pena platoons against certain pitchers)
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Boston over TB in 3
DET over A's in 5
Cards over Pirates in 3
Dodgers over Braves in 4
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sudden Sam wrote:Frustrating as hell game. I'm just happy to see the Indians' improvement this year.

Like the Royals, you can have a solid lineup but you need that pitching to round into form. I think the Indians finally have some starting pitching. Salazar has a big arm, Jimenez channeled his Rockies days, Masterton was probably their most consistent pitcher all year...jury is still out on McAllister.

What they use to have was a strong bullpen...Perez is toast (and toasted). What happened to Pestano...did he get hurt? They used to have really good middle relief and setup men. The best bullpen in the division is Kansas City...I wouldn't hestitate to pick the Tigers to win it all if they had that to back up their starters.

The lineup is a patchwork of misfits and rejects. Kipnis is nice, Chisenhall looks like he's coming around, the outfield is solid although Stubbs is a spaz in RF. Santana probably should play 1B next year or DH and Gomes should be their full time catcher. Swisher is a windmill and a mental midget in the postseason.

I expect the Royals and Tribe to battle for the wild card again next year because yes, it's still the Tigers' division. If they can re-sign Scherzer and maybe keep V-Mart...who's beating them next year? I'd also like some re-tooling to their bullpen.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

this is embarrassing to the rest of MLB. :lol: BoSox are coasting and basically sleepwalking at this point.

The team nobody wants to talk about is like the elephant in the room just quietly stomping on faces. Not even a game today ....12-2 assbeating. It's a foregone conclusion that they will be world champs again while these other hack teams are just battling and tying up series', having to barely win, etc. Lester mowed em down like the playoff champ he is, Victorino 3 hits, they are rolling up opponents. Price is up next to get his ass whored, and Lackey the playoff pro will have no problem in Game 2.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Notes from last night...

Don't throw inside fastballs to Cespedes.
Put Crisp away when you have him with two strikes.
Score a run after the 1st inning.

Other than that, I have no reason to not feel confident about this series. The A's are an all or nothing offense...repeat Scherzer's formula from last night and throw any meatballs to Cespedes. Benoit was tremendous in a 4-out save spot. Bottom line, the longer the starters can go, the better. Pressure is very much on the A's for tonight...can't go down 0-2 and expect to win twice in Detroit against the ERA champ and Mr. Fister.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I just think Detroit's pitching is going to have to be lights out and win games 2-1, 3-2, etc.
Well, what do you know. Scherzer dominance and a 3-2 win.

:bode:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Other than seeing a little more offense, I think the game went as well as you would've wanted. As I hoped, the starter goes 7 and other than two bad pitches to Cespedes, Scherzer was unhittable.

The weakness of (injured) Cabrera was exploited...the inside pitches were tough for him to get around on. He's the best pure hitter to all fields and I have to believe the hip/groin/ab injury saps his power but also messes with his ability to hit to all fields. Teams pitch away from him but when a pitch gets too much of the corner, he's usually able to drive it to right field. It's got to be difficult to reach out to the other side of the plate and put a strong swing to the opposite field. His hardest hit balls seemed to be up the middle.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Scherzer dominance and a 3-2 win.
I watched from about the 3rd inning on. Max was so utterly wicked it didn't seem fair.

Damn, I'm proud of that Mizzou boy and there's no doubt remaining of whom the Ace of that staff is.

Still, don't count out the A's. That's a very resilient team who has flown under the radar for the most part, mostly because folks outside the PST zone rarely get to see them.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

2-0 now....Price whored easily :lol:

Now to clinch it out and let the A's/Tigers beat themselves up and stagger to Fenway.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Usually they wait until the World Series to stop hitting...and a broken down Cabrera is still the best contact hitter. If they can't feed off the home crowd Monday and Tuesday, this'll be an early exit.

Tip of the cap to Gray...he was tough with just two pitches.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Things are playing out just like I thought. I'm telling you, Shoalz, Cabrera's total lack of power is a bigger deal than you think, and affects the entire lineup, as well as the way pitchers approach the heart of the order. And by power I'm not just talking the long ball, but his inability to spray the ball into those deep gaps. You take Cabrera's power out of the equation, and then Detroit becomes a team that has to manufacture more runs, and that's not their strength at all.

Granted, even when Detroit was at full strength, they'd still go through these inexplicable offensive slumps. Just need other guys to step up. Hopefully a trip back to the home confines is all they need.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No surprise, Peralta in for Game 3. With the way the A's are swinging and missing you could stick Cabrera in left and not be worried. I've not understood why Avila was hitting 6th those first two games...hopefully they have Peralta in that spot. It's going to come down to any team that string to together a couple hits in a row and scratch out runs here and there. Not a lot of hard hit balls outside of Cespedes in Game 1.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Simplicity....

Now the A's and Tigers battle for Game 5 in the Cripple Fight before making the flight to Fenway to get cornholed in Game 1. I predict that this forum will do all it can go focus on the NLCS and pretend that the inevitable isn't coming. But eventually you will have to discuss the World Series and Boston's pitching staff smothering the Cardinals or whatever second-rate team comes into Fenway for Game One. Ortiz already being fitted for a third championship ring.

I laughed my ASS off at how the Tigers had to use their ace to come out of the bullpen JUST to get it to a Game 5, and even THEN he fucks up and almost loses the game. And Oakland choked in that game. These two teams are a complete mess. It's going to be an easy sweep in the ALCS.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

What baseball team do you actually root for?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sudden Sam wrote:I'm glad Valverde's gone, but is Benoit the best they have? Jesus.

Benoit was 22 for 22 on saves up until the final week of the season...went 2 of 4 against the Twins and Marlins in and around clinching the division. I don't like what I saw last night but he was great in Game 1...struck out 3 and got a 4-out save. Rondon isn't ready to close, Albuquerque is too wild and obviously, Valverde imploded after second chance after second chance the team gave him. He's not any less of a tight rope act than Balfour.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

My take on the Martinez home run...no matter what the call was on the field, replay wouldn't have changed the call due to no clear cut evidence. The Tigers were fortunate the ump called home run initially. Was the ball going to clear the yellow line? It sure looked like it. Was Reddick going to make the catch? He damn sure made an effort but that's no guarantee. We've obviously seen worse fan interference calls go the wrong way...this wasn't as contraversial as some made it out to be.

The Tigers caught some breaks last night they didn't have in Games 2 and 3...including Jackson's broken bat when it's looked like he was swinging a broken bat for the entire series.

Verlander in Game 5 makes me feel better after seeing him throw in Game 2 than I felt heading into this series. I wonder if Melvin uses both Colon and Gray tomorrow...Colon was fine in Game 1 after the rough 1st inning. Gray won't be such a surprise to the Tigers now that they've seen him.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He was close enough for them to have a beef. That still shows the ball pretty much at the top of the wall but he's right up there near the top of the wall to make an attempt. It's a big play in that if he catches that, it's pretty much a bullet in the head of the Tigers instead of being a tie game again. That's obviously assuming he catches the ball and maybe he just gets a piece of it.

The fans' hands are over the wall into the field of play but the ball is on a path to clear the yellow line. It looks like it would've been a home run without the fans getting in the way and it really just prevent Reddick from getting a chance at making a catch. I'd like to say I don't like this quasi-contraversy but then again, the guy that just came off a drug suspension hit a tying homer in the 5th...gotta pick your battles I guess.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Anybody with a functioning set of eyeballs, and whose baseball playing experience is limited to just a game of 500 in the backyard at 12 years old, can tell you that ball wasn't going to be caught. But, whether or not Reddick could have conceivably caught the ball is irrelevant. Once that ball crossed the yellow marker, and was headed over the railing, or even on path to hit the railing, then Reddick had no more right to that ball than the fans did. At that point, it's a battle of player vs fan. Of course, there wasn't much of a battle vs the fan because Reddick had already lost the battle vs gravity.

In any event, fuck Reddick. Couldn't have happened to a bigger douche. Dude is easily the biggest whiner in the game today. When you're hitting .220 you really need to stop bitching at the guy behind the plate every time you get caught looking, and spend more time in the batting cage.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He's most overrated rat on that team...he needs to spend less time growing that beard and more time trying to stay over the Mendoza line. A little off the top might give him more ups next time.

Gray vs. JV in Game 5...I like it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Two postseason facts, the Tigers own the Yankees and Verlander owns the A's. The only downside now is that you probably don't get Scherzer/Verlander until Games 3 and 4 but it would set up for them to go in Games 6 and 7 most likely.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Why wouldn't Scherzer pitch game 2?
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

He will. Sanchez, Scherzer, Verlander, Fister.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Yeah, didn't look at the calendar...Scherzer threw Tuesday (in relief) so you'd think he's more than fine to start on Sunday night. I mentioned in the other thread, the way the schedule sets up...you should be able to have Scherzer/Verlander in Games 2/3 and 6/7 on regular rest. Me likey!