33%
Nebraska is the best job of the three
3%

Total votes: 30

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

USC, Texas and Nebraska

Post by Left Seater »

I think Pelini get the door first. Say the day after the regular season wraps.

I think the Texas and USC jobs are about equal. Texas has more money than God and likely lower expectations from the fan base and a softer media.

USC has the weather and beaches and Hollywood that some find attractive. The fans likely expect more and the media is far harder.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Re: USC, Texas and Nebraska

Post by Truman »

Word in these parts is that Saban is about cash in - say, at a cool $10M-per. What will be interesting to see is WHO will be scratching those checks. Texas... Or 'bama. Bode Nicky.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Sudden Sam wrote: So, if UA matched any offer from elsewhere, why would he leave?
Ego, mostly. He's won NC's at two schools, rebuilt one of the sport's legendary programs and could be the first coach to win NC's at 3 schools. If he were to leave for Texas and win a NC with them, he would undoubtedly go down as the greatest college football coach of all time.

Plus, I would wager that it would be a little less intense in Austin.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Texas
Pros:
is the best job in terms of financial. There's less travel since most of the recruits are instaters. Tons of money funding. Their own network. Located in a town considered cool and hip nationally (I'm sure Texans may disagree).

Cons:
Not as high profile nationally as they like to think since they play most of their games in Texas either at home, in Dallas, or on the road against the other Texas teams. For all of their bluster about being the best job, they only have 1 national title to show for it since I've been alive and that one came within inches of not happening if USC had converted their fourth down late in the game. Recruiting isn't a huge gold mine as they seem to get players that have an attitude of entitlement before they even hit the field. Schooled, lately, by less-talented teams (but not NU, I know).

USC
Pro:
Is the best job in terms of exposure to national audiences. They play in many states thanks to the Pac-12. They have money. They have the best Heisman trophy legacy and the most national championships of NU or Texas. Better opportunity to play in the spotlight again with national exposure by playing Notre Dame.

Con:
They play in an old relic. They're located near Compton. History of cheating. Former heisman trophy winners either killed some people (allegedly) or took money. Games are on late sometimes for the rest of the country.

Nebraska
Pro:
Long history of winning with 2 teams 71 and 95 usually in the group of teams considered the best of all time. More Heisman winners and titles than Texas. Plays in Big 10, so potential to get Rose Bowl bid. Plays across a large path of the the midwest. Huge support from fans if you're winning. I think after Solich, Callahan and Bo, the losing aspect has toned down a bit from don't lose, to don't lose in an embarrassing way. Only game in the state.

Con:
Huge expectations to win more so than any team thanks to TO's 9-win benchmark. Expectations to do things the Nebraska way (ie, be like Tom and not scream and shout). Expectations to embrace NU's traditions like the blackshirts and the walk on program. Hard to recruit top flight athletes so there is little margin for error. History of player arrests, so always watched harder than other schools who tend to get away with that behavior.

I was going to say Texas is the best job, but in terms of history, financial, exposure, etc, it'd be hard to say USC isn't the best job followed by Texas (downgraded for underachieving) and then NU (location, intense scrutiny, hard to recruit there).
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Killian wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote: So, if UA matched any offer from elsewhere, why would he leave?
Ego, mostly. He's won NC's at two schools, rebuilt one of the sport's legendary programs and could be the first coach to win NC's at 3 schools. If he were to leave for Texas and win a NC with them, he would undoubtedly go down as the greatest college football coach of all time.

Plus, I would wager that it would be a little less intense in Austin.
Bama or Texas, either way he'll still have to deal with a fan base that's 90%+ mouth breathing hicks.

At least Bama has Sudden Sam going for them.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

At Large wrote: Pros
You could have stopped right there.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Mikey wrote:At least Bama has Sudden Sam going for them.
One is the loneliest number...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

schmick wrote:Texas... Matthew Mccaugnahey

I laughed.

That douche has to be one of the best recruiting tools A&M has in their arsenal.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

You guys are missing the point on MM. College athletes are smoking the hippie lettuce in record numbers I have been told. MM is a known chronic user. To have someone with those ties with access to your player can be a big pull.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:Hell, I thought all the Texas 5-stars went to Oregon these days.

While we love Bralon Addison, the recruiting atmosphere has changed a bit. Looking through the current roster, "XXXXX HS, XXXXX, Oregon" seems to appear a lot more often. While we'll always pluck off stars from california and Texas who are, at their young age, already tired of living in california and Texas, there's definitely more focus on in-state recruiting. Some of the best players on the team are Oregon boys, which hasn't happened too many times in the last 10 years. I wish Colt Lyerla (who was a 5 star from my local area) would stop being such a little bitch... the proverbial million-dollar-body-with-a-ten-cent-head... and his replacement (Johnny Mundt, from Modesto), playing his first game as a true freshman (sitting behind the big star Lyerla) was named the John Mackey national TE of the week... might be time to quit whining and play, Colt - that near-guaranteed NFL career is slipping right through your fingers.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote:Hell, I thought all the Texas 5-stars went to Oregon these days.
Stanford has been raiding Texas pretty well lately.

Andrew Luck and Stepfan Taylor come immediately to mind.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:

And they raided Portland of a lineman (whose name I forget, and will continue to forget, like that big douchebag who went to Nebraska and now plays for the Lions).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:

And they raided Portland of a lineman (whose name I forget, and will continue to forget, like that big douchebag who went to Nebraska and now plays for the Lions).
Starting WR Ty Montgomery and monster DE Josh Mauro also from TX.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

We recruit kids that matter from Texas....

Jake Brendel (Plano) starting center as true freshman & will stay there as long as he wants.

Simon Goines (Keller) has started at left tackle since arriving and it's his til he leaves.

Caleb Benenoch (Katy) will get quality time soon.

Massington (Mesquite), & Deon Hollins (Houston) are working for PT....

2 true sophs & 3 true frosh are / will be heavy contributors....thanks, Tejas.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Easy to recruit those guys -- they just tell them "you get to leave Texas, and live on the West Coast."
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Dinsdale wrote:Easy to recruit those guys -- they just tell them "you get to leave Texas, and live on the West Coast."
Most pass on that. The others you just have to chalk it up to the poor decisions of youth.

You would have to pay me a ton to live in CA over TX. It wouldn't take nearly as much for the NW though.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:

You would have to pay me a ton to live in CA over TX. It wouldn't take nearly as much for the NW though.

We'd be willing to pay you a bunch to stay away.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Perfect. I will set up the account and then send you the deposit info.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Left Seater wrote: You would have to pay me a ton to live in CA over TX.
....And it has NOTHING to do with the weather. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Granted the weather on the CA coast is better, but the valley isn't a ton better.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I think USC is a slightly better job than Texas, although they're both in the very top tier, along with Notre Dame and Miami. These are schools where even a slightly above average coach should win 8-9 games a year, and a good coach will almost certainly win one MNC, if not more.

If Saban is really driven by ego, he should go to Nebraska. Turning the Huskers back into a consistent MNC contender would be a much more impressive way to end his career, and if anyone can do it, he can. (God forbid this ever actually happens.)

If all he cares about is being the first to win an MNC at three different schools, then Texas (or, theoretically, USC) would be a much safer bet. Probably easier than the titles he won at LSU and Bama, actually.
"Keys, woman!"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I think USC is a slightly better job than Texas, although they're both in the very top tier, along with Notre Dame and Miami. These are schools where even a slightly above average coach should win 8-9 games a year, and a good coach will almost certainly win one MNC, if not more.

If Saban is really driven by ego, he should go to Nebraska. Turning the Huskers back into a consistent MNC contender would be a much more impressive way to end his career, and if anyone can do it, he can. (God forbid this ever actually happens.)

If all he cares about is being the first to win an MNC at three different schools, then Texas (or, theoretically, USC) would be a much safer bet. Probably easier than the titles he won at LSU and Bama, actually.
Saban is rich. Why would he want to live in Nebraska?
E UNUM PLURIBUS
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Saban ain't coming to Texas. He even knows that his coaching won't even get Texas bowl eligible with the roster full of me first, no tackling pussies.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Interesting. It appears Saban has been on Bevo's Wish List a bit longer than we thought...

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Alabama coach Nick Saban insists he's not going anywhere.

Saban responded on his weekly radio show Thursday night to an Associated Press report that his agent talked to a University of Texas regent and a former regent a few days after the Jan. 7 national championship game. The conversation regarded the possibility of the Crimson Tide coach replacing Longhorns coach Mack Brown.

Saban responded that "I don't know about any of this stuff." He says he hasn't spoken to anybody about "that particular situation."

Saban said he and his wife Terry are happy at Alabama "and quite frankly, I'm just too damn old to start all over someplace else, to be honest with you."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... t/2839255/
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

The Seer wrote:Saban is rich. Why would he want to live in Nebraska?
His cash would go twice as far as opposed to Cali or Texass and he could be Warren Buffett's neighbor.
He could own his own Runza, he could hire ANYONE to remove his snow, (this includes Tom Osborne.)
Plus it'd be a step up from Alabama, just a small step mind you. (Sorry Sam)
When he wins that first NC, he'd be instant deity.
And most importantly, it'd piss off ESPN and all their CFB buttwags.

Wins all around.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Cornhusker wrote: Plus it'd be a step up from Alabama, just a small step mind you. (Sorry Sam)
When he wins that first NC, he'd be instant deity.
No it isn't, and he already is. Christ, the guy has won 3 NC's at 'Bama and has a statue. He's already a living college football god.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK