Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: 2013 Predictions

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:Lester/Buckholtz/Dourbount/Peavy are better
:lol:

Detroit starters have best ERA in the AL, best WHIP, best OBP, best OPS, most strikeouts and best W/L record.

It's not even close, really. TB and KC are the only other staffs who are even close to their level.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Trolls be trolling...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Check out this play by Jose Iglesias, Detroit's new SS (since Peralta is done).

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29653669

Just ridiculous. Losing Peralta sucks, but his offense can be spared. The Iglesias signing instantly brought a defensive upgrade in the infield, which was one of the few weaknesses.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Detroit starters have best ERA in the AL, best WHIP, best OBP, best OPS, most strikeouts and best W/L record.

It's not even close, really. TB and KC are the only other staffs who are even close to their level.
Look at team ERA, a more important measurement. Games are 9 innings, not however many a starter lasts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/bytea ... 3&sort=837

KC has the best team ERA in the AL with Detroit close behind.

Pretty geeked about this 5 game series coming up. Royals sink or swim here.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The subject of the discussion was starting pitching. Hence, starting pitching stats not team stats. But even by that measurement, Detroit is still kicking Boston's ass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

SP is important, no doubt.

But if you ignore the bullpen, you do so at your peril.

I think the Royals are going to run your squad down, I really do. 6-1/2 back and you're getting beat by the White Sox.

God, I love baseball.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Let's just see if you can run down Cleveland. I'd love to see KC nab a WC spot, actually.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Check out this play by Jose Iglesias, Detroit's new SS (since Peralta is done).

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29653669

Just ridiculous. Losing Peralta sucks, but his offense can be spared. The Iglesias signing instantly brought a defensive upgrade in the infield, which was one of the few weaknesses.
Addition by subtraction, Mgo. You guys got better. Yeah, Peralta can stick, but Jhonny is a freaking liability at shortstop. No arm, no range... Not exactly the recipe for a critical middle-infield position on a championship-caliber ball club.

Hell, I saw the Tigs whiz away a game in Kansas City earlier this Spring on a relatively routine ground ball Peralta simply couldn't get to; and another he did come up with but couldn't get the ball across the diamond quick enough to nab the runner at first. He didn't even make that throw from the hole! I was left shaking my head... Neither play showed up as an error in the scorebook, but make no mistake: Peralta cost Detroit that game. I'll bet it wasn't the first time either.

Yeah, Jhonny's .822 OPS is nice... But I'll take Escobar's glove over Peralta's bat any day.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Sudden Sam wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Let's just see if you can run down Cleveland. I'd love to see KC nab a WC spot, actually.
Bastard.
:?

Reads like an appropriate sentiment made by an astute baseball observer to me, Sammy... Besides, OUR river doesn't catch fire.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

...and I'm just fucking with you, Sam! Damn, it's good to hate everybody in the division this time of year...

That said, ratfuck! :brad:

Lose 2-out-of-3 to the freaking Marlins?! That's like losing a series to the, er... Royals.

Bad enough that we're limping into Detroit with Moose and Cain are on the shelf for a week... Unfortunately, I think our season took a turn for the worse when Tejada went down the other night. David Lough, Chris Getz and Elliot Johnson are a poor answer for the Tigers.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Lose 2-out-of-3 to the freaking Marlins?! That's like losing a series to the, er... Royals.
Yep, funny how Wags is giving Detroit shit for dropping a series to the White Sox when KC just did the same against the NL's version of the White Sox. After flexing your lone muscle, Whitey, you still had nothing to show for it. Made up zero ground. Probably should have waited 'til the conclusion of this 5-game set between Detroit and KC before you decide whether to bump your gums or keep quiet.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:Maybe the Royals can slow Detroit a bit, but not get past the Indians...
Wouldn't surprise me. Tigers have been very good at home but they haven't had a day off since August 1st, and now they start up a 5-game series against KC spanning just four days (double-header tomorrow). They've also played a lot of extra inning games the past couple weeks. If KC brings some energy and intensity they could take this series. I expect Leyland to trot out some more subs/role players to conserve some energy down the stretch.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Probably should have waited 'til the conclusion of this 5-game set between Detroit and KC before you decide whether to bump your gums or keep quiet.
What fun would that be? Sorry, not how I roll. It's easy to come in here after the fact and blow your horn.

Still, when I posted those fatal words, KC hadn't lost to the Fish yet and I probably would've kept my trap shut had I known better.

Still a big series starting tonight and as I said then, time to sink or swim. Just a bad time for the injury bug to bite and they don't have enough depth to fill all the holes. If they win, it will be because of pitching.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

3 out of 5 was an ideal result...the doubleheader sweep was just a hiccup. Without a prolonged slump, I don't see how either the Indians or Royals get inside 5 games on them.

This won't be a pull away like two years ago and thankfully they don't have come from behind like last year. They'll win the division comfortably (7-10 games) but I can see the Royals or Tribe sneak in as a wild card. The Royals pitching is solid.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Tigers have a cake schedule remaining. They could go .500 the rest of the season and win the division easily.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I love the fact they can rest Martinez and Hunter today and still beat a guy like Harvey with a barrage of singles. They can pretty much beat you any way they want.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Tigers have a cake schedule remaining. They could go .500 the rest of the season and win the division easily.

While I wasn't happy with losing 2-of-3 to Chicago and Minnesota but the lead is still 6. I'd call the next two weeks pretty big...with Oakland and Cleveland (final series against the Tribe) and then at Boston and Kansas City. Pulling away would be nice...you just don't want that lead to shrink for the final three weeks. They still have one final series with Kansas City in mid September.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Do you even follow baseball? Teams rarely run away with their divisions, especially one as competitive as the AL East. Tampa Bay has the pitching. They aren't just gonna go away quietly. Should be a good battle 'til the end.

It's not even a fight. Boston just took a shit on them and left them in the dust :lol: They're not even in Boston's league and their pitching is overrated. Peavy is kicking ass as a late-season signee, Red Sox on a tear. The AL East is a one-horse racing with the Red Sox cruising, just like I said it would be.

Tampa and Detroit suck ass
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

They'll blow it. They always do. And down 1-0 so far in a series to a team that "sucks ass" and they get Scherzer tonight. Good luck with that.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:they get Scherzer tonight. Good luck with that.
Well, they did it.

I'll admit it. This BoSox team is a little different than the teams of the past. I'm not going to say they have heart because if you no heart, you fucking are not playing major league baseball. Just different.

But I do expect them to continue the tradition of becoming the Boston Brown Pants in September.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Well, Scherzer only gave up 2 runs and 5 hits, so he did his job. It was the offense that didn't show up. But yeah, my bravado caught up with me that time. Still, I'll take my overall shot-calling record over Yer A Fuckin Curse Off's any day of the week.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Well, Scherzer only gave up 2 runs and 5 hits, so he did his job. It was the offense that didn't show up. But yeah, my bravado caught up with me that time. Still, I'll take my overall shot-calling record over Yer A Fuckin Curse Off's any day of the week.
Red Sox are just a better team than the Tigers. It's that simple.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

18-4 BoSox :lol: :lol:

Shoalzie won't be here for another month
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Well, Scherzer only gave up 2 runs and 5 hits, so he did his job. It was the offense that didn't show up. But yeah, my bravado caught up with me that time. Still, I'll take my overall shot-calling record over Yer A Fuckin Curse Off's any day of the week.
Red Sox are just a better team than the Tigers. It's that simple.
Tigers have a winning record against the Sux, and that spans back to when their bullpen was terrible and didn't have a closer.

Both are good teams. If only there was some kind of playoff to settle this on the field...
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Tigers shit the bed in the postseason no matter how great their pitching looks.

Ortiz, Pedroia, Lester, Ellsbury, etc all proven World Champions.... and Boom- 9-8 win over the Yankees last night in 10. Dramatic win here, 20-4 buttraping there has been the pattern. This is a team of destiny and I was the only one here to call it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:Tigers shit the bed in the postseason no matter how great their pitching looks.
Is it really better to miss the playoffs altogether, which is what the Sux have done recently, than "shit the bed" in them? Winning the WS is pretty tough, dude.
This is a team of destiny and I was the only one here to call it.
If you pick the same team(s) to win it every single year, regardless of the team's actual outlook, it ceases to be a prediction and becomes an agenda. :lol:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:Tigers shit the bed in the postseason no matter how great their pitching looks.

Ortiz, Pedroia, Lester, Ellsbury, etc all proven World Champions.... and Boom- 9-8 win over the Yankees last night in 10. Dramatic win here, 20-4 buttraping there has been the pattern. This is a team of destiny and I was the only one here to call it.

Congrats on beating up on the 5th starter and the shitty middle relief...I was more impressed by Lester outdueling Scherzer.

Love how the Tigers answer back by pummeling Shields last night...16 runs on 26 hits...6 doubles, 20 singles, 0 home runs.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Shoalzie wrote:
Love how the Tigers answer back by pummeling Shields last night...16 runs on 26 hits...6 doubles, 20 singles, 0 home runs.

Big deal. Tampa is an easy team to cornhole as the Sox have proven. And the SAWK are up 10-3 on the Yankees in the 4th right now after beating them again last night in a close one. Like I said, it seems to be like they alternate every night ("we'll go with a buttfucking tonight, then a dramatic one run win tomorrow, and just repeat that cycle")

And look at mgo basically conceding a World championship to the Red sox. :lol: He at least feels it coming.

And you're right, if you're the Tigers, winning the world series is "pretty hard" lol as they have proven. But for the Red Sox, no biggie. about to pick up a third championship in 9 years. Thanks for coming.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Not at all. If they meet in the playoffs, I fully expect Detroit to beat Boston. They are the better all-around team.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shoalzie wrote:
Love how the Tigers answer back by pummeling Shields last night...

The Royals beat Verlander tonight, how much did you love that?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He's mortal...but he's been mortal this year. He actually threw well last night other than the gopher ball to Perez. I did like seeing him go vintage and break out the high 90s cheese to get him out of trouble. I'll credit the Royals pen for bailing out Duffy's awful control last night.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wild card race gets more interesting with the Rangers and Rays slumping and the Orioles and Indians playing well...Yankees dropping back and the Royals are still within shouting distance. The AL West and NL Central are still in doubt...a few decent races remain with 3 weeks left. The NL is basically figured out...they're just playing for seeding.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Oh shit forgot he was a Royal.

Well the Royals suck too. Back to Tampa though, Sox play them tonight. Buchholz will outduel Price. Price is overrated....he's good against weak teams but he'll get lit up by the Sawks tonight as usual.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

:lol:

Sox own the Yankees. Everyone wave bye bye to the Yankees.

Do the Sox play Tampa again? Maybe they can sweep them and ruin their playoff hopes too. Boston's a buzzsaw this season.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Not against the Royals. You better hope you don't have to face them in the playoffs.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Royals will be a tough out if they get in...best bullpen in the AL and strong defensively. You don't want to be behind them after 7 innings. I still don't get how the Indians are still in the race with their patchwork lineup and wildly inconsistent pitching.

I don't see anyone catching the Sox for the #1 seed so finishing 2nd to get home field will be key. I don't know if the Tigers will get past Oakland without home field.

Interesting to see what impact Peralta and Cruz will have in this final week or so...lots of talk surrounding Peralta playing some LF when he gets back. Rangers might be too far behind Oakland to catch them by the time Cruz gets back...great race going on for the wild card.

The NL is mildly interesting...the Nats are probably out of time to catch the Pirates/Reds/Cards for the wild card.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:lots of talk surrounding Peralta playing some LF when he gets back.
:shock:

Putting a fat man in LF. What could possibly go wrong?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:I don't see anyone catching the Sox for the #1 seed so finishing 2nd to get home field will be key.
That's fine. Put all the pressure on them. They're shooting their wad in the regular season and peaking at the wrong time. They'll choke, and everybody knows it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The idea is for him to possibly play in LF against lefty starters, Dirks would start against righties. Nothing definitive though...just talk at this point.

I don't trust Tuiasosopo right now and Castellanos hasn't blown me away since he's been called up. I wouldn't want to take Iglesias out at short unless you did something like move him to 2B and Infante has played some outfield in the past.

Martinez could catch and maybe you try Jhonny back at 3B and DH Cabrera. Cabrera's injury has made him more of a liability on the basepath because Iglesias covers enough ground at short.

You want to get his bat in the lineup somehow...he's a better #6 hitter than Dirks.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Don't like the idea of Ja-honny's fat ass trying to track down shots to left. Especially when he hasn't played a baseball game in well over a month. I hope for his sake he's been grinding to stay sharp & in shape.

Just keep JH at SS and move Iglesias to 3rd. Cabrera to DH. Martinez as a spot duty catcher here and there is fine, but don't like the idea of him being the every day catcher if this team is gearing up for a deep playoff run.

Or better yet...just stand pat. Detroit is still second in the AL in batting since his suspension. Don't fix what isn't broken.