PrimeX
Koko B1

Goodbye Yankee Stadium....sincerely 2009

Post by PrimeX »

Hello n00b.

This from Newsday

Report: Yankees and local governments near deal for new stadium

April 16, 2005, 5:59 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ The New York Yankees are close to reaching an agreement with city and state governments to build a new stadium, the Daily News reported Saturday.

Citing unnamed sources, the newspaper reported that lawyers from the city, state and team are completing a "memorandum of understanding" and that an announcement is expected around May 1.

While government and team officials did not comment directly about plans or the pending agreement, the newspaper said they did confirm that they are in the final stages.

"We're working very closely with the city and the state and trying to finalize our current plan," Yankees president Randy Levine told the Daily News. "We expect to announce it in the near future, and we hope to break ground in 2006 and be ready to play in 2009."

The new stadium will be built just north of the existing facility in the Bronx, and is designed to seat 50,800. That's smaller than the current capacity of 57,478, but the new ballpark will have more luxury suites.

The newspaper, citing officials familiar with the plans, reported that the new stadium will be comprised of two separate structures: an exterior wall, designed to replicate the original Yankee Stadium built in 1923, and the interior stadium itself.

The stadium construction will cost approximately $800 million and will be fully paid for by the team. The city and state will spend $300 million to build a new commuter rail station, improve parking, and create parkland along the nearby waterfront.

The new stadium will feature copper lattice work around its roof, much like the 1923 stadium. The new facility will also have expanded retail and concession areas.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll be honest, I didn't really think they'd built a new stadium before the Cubs and Sox would build a new one. What was wrong with THE Stadium in the first place? They always draws huge crowds there and the team was making tons of money as it is.

Is there a place where we can see more renderings of the new ballpark?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

The would blast Fenway in a heartbeat, but there just isn't land available for a dowtown stadium. So, for now, we have to deal with the smallest yard and most expensive prices. They did, however, announce pland to renovate the 406 Club inpart my removing the current 600 seat and making it 406 seats to create space for wider seats and the like.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb ... p&c_id=bos
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

That sucks.....there's something special about watching a game at a ball park that has so much history......This means I have only a few more years to take my kids there.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:What was wrong with THE Stadium in the first place?
There aren't many luxury suites in the current stadium.

The money going to improve parking etc. is a good thing. It's so difficult getting out of a game there even when the stadium is half full.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Plus George needs the extra revenue for his 300 million dollar payroll because you can only stretch 200 million dollars so far now a days :wink:
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

That is about the best rendering that you are going to find.

Got to give the boss props for paying the cost of the stadium.