World Series

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Re: World Series

Post by M2 »

Nope.

I was born in Chicago and the family were White Sox fans... but I meant Giants.

I could care less about the Chicago teams.

That being said,

If the Giants were out of contention... I'd jump on the White Sox bandwagon if they were in it.

Giants taking care of business... 2-0 bottom of the 8th.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Detroit was shut out only twice this season?

Make it three.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Hmmmmm...

Sudden Sam wrote:Tigers in 6.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:My heart says Tigers in 7.

My head says Tigers in 4.
War Wagon wrote:Tigers in 5.
Shoalzie wrote:
I won't go sweep...I'll say Tigers in 5.

Sure is fucking quiet in here !!!

Oh yeah...

m2 wrote:Verlander shit the bed just like Cliff Lee did two years ago. Both were invincible in the playoffs and then puked on their shoes in the World Series.

You can book the World Series for the Giants.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

M2 wrote:
Sure is fucking quiet in here !!!

we were talking about cal football. where've you been, son?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

M2 wrote:I was born in Chicago and the family were White Sox fans... but I meant Giants.

I could give two shits about your family history, Chimes. We're talking about the order in which things actually occured.

First the Red Sox. Then the White Sox. Both of their 'championship-less' streaks were longer than the Giants. And both won WS this century... before the Giants.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I think the horseshoe up the Giants' ass is still lodged up there pretty deep but their bats were quieted some by a good pitching performance by Fister...just one hit between Scutaro and Sandoval. The game pretty much swung on Lamont's decision to wave Fielder on the 1st-to-home on the Young double and the way Leyland approach to the bases loaded with nobody in the 7th inning. Sucks to lose a close game and to have both scoring plays come from plays where you record outs.

On the surface, you don't think of sending a guy like Fielder in that spot...not exactly Jackson or Berry in the speed department. But on the play, the Giants had to nail the relay on the button just to allow Posey tag him at the last second. He damn near beat the throw and the tag. I wouldn't call it the worst decision but it looks bad considering the game ended up being low-scoring. I probably wouldn't have done it considering you'd have 2nd and 3rd with no outs and Peralta and Garcia coming up (both have done well with RISP).

If Lamont could do it over, he'd hold him...I respect his honesty.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

As for the 7th inning and playing for the double play with nobody out in a scoreless tie...it was a major risk for Leyland to willingly give up the eventual winning run when the ball that was hit...if the infield was in...could've lead to a play at the plate. Then, you have the bases loaded again with one out and then you consider going for the inning-ending double play and escape still with a scoreless tie.

To me, that's the bigger error in judgment because you just threw away a well-pitched game on the hope of scratching out a single run with 6 outs left just to tie the score. Last night, runs were at a premium and Leyland allowed the Giants to score when the Tigers had only one good chance all night to score and ended up with just two hits all night and you played from behind night in Game 1.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

So anybody catch McCarver's act in the first game ?

They cut to him and Buck in the booth late in the game , and McCarver has his tie all pulled loose, looks like he has been sitting at some dive bar for the last 4 hours, leaning over on Bucks chair..You are broadcasting the first game of the World Fucking Series and you look like some drunk loser in a bar....respect the game and the fact that you are lucky enough to be calling it you fucking tool.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Derron wrote:So anybody catch McCarver's act in the first game ?

They cut to him and Buck in the booth late in the game , and McCarver has his tie all pulled loose, looks like he has been sitting at some dive bar for the last 4 hours, leaning over on Bucks chair..You are broadcasting the first game of the World Fucking Series and you look like some drunk loser in a bar....respect the game and the fact that you are lucky enough to be calling it you fucking tool.

After listening to a good booth with Smoltz and Darling on TBS for the ALCS...McCarver was a complete mess. He has his moments when he anticipates something and it happens so he doesn't seem crazy but calling Barry Bonds "Barry Manilow"...what the hell?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Fox's broadcast is just brutal.

What is up with these player interviews? Do we really need to watch Buck, McCarver and Sergio Romo flirt for 15 minutes while a game is going on? We get it already, the Giants are quirky and adorable.

And yeah, Tim, we're going to see pitchers wearing helmets next year because a guy takes a shot to the noggin' once every 7 million pitches. Trying to imagine Verlander or Sabathia dealing with a helmet on. Makes me laugh.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shoalzie wrote:
Derron wrote:So anybody catch McCarver's act in the first game ?

After listening to a good booth with Smoltz and Darling on TBS for the ALCS...McCarver was a complete mess. He has his moments when he anticipates something and it happens so he doesn't seem crazy but calling Barry Bonds "Barry Manilow"...what the hell?

Smoltz is outstanding.. best color guy out there right now. He needs to be on ESPN and Fox as of yesterday.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

I'd rather listen to this chick announce the game... at least she's funny and entertaining.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Absolutely. She's awesome. I'd love to hear her do an NBA game.

"The tall guy jumped just a tiny bit and threw the ball down through the little hole, and everyone seems really happy."

"The white guy with the beard fell backwards for no reason. The black guy with the ball didn't even touch him. I'm not sure what's up with that."

"The skinny guy with lots of tattoos keeps pointing at his own chest. He seems to be really proud of himself. Oh, wait. The other guys on his team are all pushing him hard in the chest and hitting him. He just threw the ball down the hole too, so I wonder why they're so mad at him? They must not like him very much."
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

jiminphilly wrote:Smoltz is outstanding.. best color guy out there right now. He needs to be on ESPN and Fox as of yesterday.

I can stand Darling only when he's paired with Smoltz...good back and forth with those two. Ex-pitchers are some of the best analysts out there...Hershiser is solid too.

The best booth would be Dan Shulman and Smoltz.

I'm fine with Buck doing baseball...that's more his speed. He needs a more insightful guy than Aikman as his partner doing NFL...maybe Tim Ryan or Collinsworth or Mayock.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Tigers obviously need to worry about Scutaro/Sandoval/Posey but it's bottom of the order the Tigers need to handle. If (Hector) Sanchez is supposed to be the DH...between him, Belt, Blanco and Crawford...the averages don't scare you but they all see a lot of pitches in their at bats. Blanco averages around 5 pitchers per PA and the other three are over 4 pitchers per PA. Behind Posey, it's Belt, Blanco and Crawford with the next most walks on the team. The good thing with those guys...they're also among the leaders in most times struck out.

The problem with the Tigers wanting to take the starters deep into games is the pitch counts getting cranked up too high too early. Verlander and Fister had 100+ pitches and neither guy got through 6 innings. With a messed up bullpen, the starters need to hang in games longer and not lose these long battles with the bottom of the order. In the postseason, Giants hitters see an average of just under 4 pitchers per PA but in the first two games of this series, the Giants are seeing around 4.7 per PA compared to 3.7 for the Tigers.

Every guy for the Giants so far except Sandoval sees more than 4 pitchers per PA. The middle of the Tigers today...Fielder/Young/Dirks/Peralta...none have seen more than 3.5 pitches per PA. Young and Fielder are only seeing 2.43 per PA. They're getting themselves out and quickly.

The other killer stat so far...production with 2 outs. Giants have half their runs with two outs (none for the Tigers) and are out hitting the Tigers .333 to .056. The Giants have scored 24 runs with two outs in the playoffs. The Tigers only allowed 3 runs with two outs in the first two rounds...5 runs so far against the Giants.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

You've got some real classy fans there in Detroit.
Booing your team in the World Series?
Nice work.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Good God... the Tigers are fucking horrible.

Will they ever score another run in this series ???

This is what happens when all the tards "east of the rockies" go to sleep while real baseball is being played on the west coast.

They actually think they have good baseball teams while never watching any games out west.

Sure is fucking quiet in here !!!!
Last edited by M2 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:You've got some real classy fans there in Detroit.
Nice work.
Oh yeah? Why don't you move to another city and find another team to root for? Or something.

Sin,

M Cunt
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

M2 wrote:Good God... the Tigers are fucking horrible.

Will they ever score another run in this series ???

This is what happens when all the tards "east of the rockies" go to sleep while real baseball is being played on the west coast.

They actually think they have good baseball teams while never watching any games out west.

What do you want people to say, you dramatic little girl? They're getting their asses handed to them and will be lucky to lose the series in 5 games.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

They've pitched well enough to win the last two games but the bats have gone 'Yankees'. I almost prefer losing a game like Game 1 where you flat out get beat rather than pissing away chances to win a close game. The Giants have pitched very well in the series and have gotten great defense but the Tigers had their opportunites last night. I knew once Lincecum started warming up...that 5th inning rally was going to be their best chance to get back in the game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M2 wrote:This is what happens when all the tards "east of the rockies" go to sleep while real baseball is being played on the west coast.

I seem to recall the Tigers beating that team from across the bay but that would imply that you're actually following baseball...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:They've pitched well enough to win the last two games but the bats have gone 'Yankees'.
I said that was my biggest concern with this team, their propensity to go on these long droughts without scoring any runs. But this...this is fucking ridiculous. Tonight will probably be one of those games where they score 7 runs and still lose.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I know Leyland has his set righty lineup but I'd say move Infante behind Jackson tonight and not let Berry kill another rally. Infante and Jackson started a couple uprisings last night but Berry failed to contribute. I'd put him 9th and maybe he can get on in front Jackson and use his speed. Prince is the most frustating of them all...seems determined to get himself out in as few pitches as possible.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I agree. I like Berry a lot but he doesn't look comfortable up there right now. Infante is not rattled by this stage and has been putting the ball in play.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

M2 wrote:

And it was sure quiet on Giants talk from you till they got to the WS. Just like it's sure quiet on Cal football from you in BTPFC since they shit the bed.

Shut the fuck up
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Mikey wrote:You've got some real classy fans there in Detroit.
Nice work.
Oh yeah? Why don't you move to another city and find another team to root for? Or something.

Sin,

M Cunt
I guess this is where I steal your line about renting space in your head? I expected it to be a little more furnished up here.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

well, that was an ass kicking. hope dombroski signs or trades for a basic understanding of the strike zone during the offseason.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll give full credit to the Giants...quite a run they went on and they won this series by getting contributions every night from different guys. I'll be cheesy and say that was a true team effort. You shut down one guy that was great the night before and then some other guys step in and do work and help them win the next night. Good choice of Sandoval to win the MVP...his Game 1 effort set a tone and put the Tigers on tilt by crushing their ace of aces. He was solid throughout the series too.

As for the Tigers...they finally showed some fight last night and I really thought this could've been the start of a rally but it was snuffed out. The offseason should be focused on a rebuilding/retooling the bullpen. Valverde is gone and I'm wondering which team is crazy enough to give him any money at all. A new closer has to be their biggest priority. I don't know how much money he'll command on the open market but I'd like to see them try to keep Sanchez and then let Porcello and Smyly fight it out for the 5th spot.

Delmon is gone but he leaves following another strong run in October. I can't believe that's the same guy that looks half dead during the season but he seems to like swinging it in the playoffs. V-Mart is back next year and should be great protection for fatty Fielder. I don't know if Garcia is ready to play full time but either he or another righthanded corner outfielder will be needed. Infante was a good get and they finally have a reliable 2B since Polanco left. The majority of the team is still solid but the Central should be improved even more in 2013.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'm sure if Illitch spends another $150 million on an overpriced free agent slugger, it'll finally put the Tigers over the top.

Tigers 2012 playoff record against teams not intentionally losing: 3-6.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

I hope they bring back Fernando Rodney, if only so my brother-in-law will stop all his wistful reminiscing. Then again Rodney's 68 years old and coming off an insane season so is going to be looking for a long-term (as far as relievers go, at least) deal, which means ooverpaying to watch his inevitable fall back to earth.

Avisail isn't ready for full-time work in the big leagues, and I don't think anyone associated with the Tigers, fan or actual employees, wants to deal with another year of platooning guys out there. I'm comfortable with Dirks playing every day and Boesch finding a different city to get his head checked. Berry's okay to keep around on the bench since he does at least one thing well, even if all that is is clapping. This all presumes they sign Torii Hunter to a perfectly reasonable one- or two-year deal. Or Angel Pagan. Maybe he'll like the AL.

I don't know how money works but Sanchez is a free agent and Fister and Scherzer are up for arbitration. So is Porcello but fuck that guy. Actually, don't fuck that guy since I feel bad for any decent ground ball pitcher with that defense behind him. Had he played for the Giants he would have had a 0.15 ERA this year. Otherwise, good thing Fister has been injured so much and Scherzer's had that brown eye/blue eye split personality thing going, otherwise arbitration would stress the payroll, especially since Jackson and Hurt-every-dayvila are in line for hefty raises.

Hopefully VMart bears some resemblance to how he played last year, obviously, but even if he doesn't Prince can protect his own ass by not swinging at everything seven feet off or over the plate.

Central will still be a shit show next year. All those White Sox who had resurgent seasons will go back to dicking around right after Kenny Williams goes Dan Snyder on the FA market. Cleveland will collapse in August rather than July, because Terry Francona. Kansas City will be in their 7th straight year of "we're one year from competing." And I don't know what to say about Minnesota except Ron Gardenhire is the sort of douche who intentionally walks Miguel Cabrera in late September while homeboy was chasing history.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:I'm sure if Illitch spends another $150 million on an overpriced free agent slugger, it'll finally put the Tigers over the top.

That's one more win than your flavor-of-the-employment-cycle team. How did their major front office decisions work out for them this year?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:I'm sure if Illitch spends another $150 million on an overpriced free agent slugger, it'll finally put the Tigers over the top.

That's one more win than your flavor-of-the-employment-cycle team. How did their major front office decisions work out for them this year?
The Nats have a much brighter future than the "We'll start trying by the end of the regular season" Tigers. Again, I'm sure there's another overpriced slugger available Illitch can overpay in desperation and like your fat boy Fielder, he'll have zero to no plate discipline, but oh boy, can he slug the ball!

The Tigers are turning into the Yankees, but without the post season success.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The Nats have a much brighter future than the "We'll start trying by the end of the regular season" Tigers. Again, I'm sure there's another overpriced slugger available Illitch can overpay in desperation and like your fat boy Fielder, he'll have zero to no plate discipline, but oh boy, can he slug the ball!

The Tigers are turning into the Yankees, but without the post season success.
Ah, always the brighter future. Imagine you buy that argument from Michigan fans as well, right, jerkoff? Don't see your issue with turning it on at the end of the year since it got them to the WS, whereas your newest crush couldn't hack the divisional round.

Fitting you're also talking out of your ass about Fielder considering you've never been right about anything. Zero plate discipline except he had a .412 OBA this season and walked more than he struck out.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:The Tigers are turning into the Yankees, but without the post season success.

There's some truth in that statement...they don't have a World Series title in this 2006-to-present period...but you realize, the Tigers have gone through the Yankees all three seasons they've made the playoffs, right?

And we all know just because you spend tons of money, that means you'll get to the playoffs...am I right, 2012 Dodgers and Red Sox? They've got more substance to them than just a bloated a payroll.

And I think the way they're constructed is far more sustainable than you give them credit...the majority of their best pieces are under 30. The Yankees today are essentially an 80s supergroup made up of names and lack the overall character and grit of those teams in the mid-90s that were so successful.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

That was a truly brilliant move by the Nats to shelve Strasbourg for the playoffs rather than for the opening month of the season or anywhere else during the season. I mean, hey, baseball teams from Washington are always in the playoffs so who cares if they pissed away a chance at a ring in order to make the silliest, most nonsensically arbitrary and unprecedented personnel move in the history of modern American sport?

Right, Mgo?

Anyway, the Giants proved yet again that most basic of baseball realities: good pitching > good hitting.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Mgo?
Van wrote: Anyway, the Giants proved yet again that most basic of baseball realities: good pitching > good hitting.
Sorry, the Tigers proved decent pitching > horrendous at bats. My girlfriend only watches baseball because of me and even she was screaming before pitches not to swing at the obvious junk they were rolling three feet off the plate. Can actually argue the Tigers pitched better in games 2 through 4 considering they had to pitch to fools who weren't giving away two free strikes every at bat. Credit due where it's due, though: have to respond to what the game gives you and the Giants jumped all over it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Giants pitched well but you're absolutely right...the Tigers' approach at the plate stunk out loud. The phrase should be "smart pitching beats dumb hitting".

Plus, the Giants were defensive fiends all series. When Brandon Crawford turn into Ozzie Smith? The Giants got out of several jams with help from Crawford or Blanco making big plays with the glove.

On the lighter side...good to know they still know how to get down in Cali after winning a title.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121029/S ... ext|Sports
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

M Club wrote:Mgo?
Yeah, Mgo. He'll get the reference.

:twisted:
M Club wrote:
Van wrote: Anyway, the Giants proved yet again that most basic of baseball realities: good pitching > good hitting.
Sorry, the Tigers proved decent pitching > horrendous at bats.
Right. It had nothing to do with the pitching. Those professional hitters for Detroit who looked so good all year long just suddenly became undisciplined, stupid hitters who lost their sense of the strikezone.

Never mind the fact that Romo made people do that the entire season, or that the Giants' staff is the best in baseball when healthy and 'right.' It was purely a fluke that the Giants held a powerful St. Louis lineup to one run over the final three games of that series before shutting down an even more powerful Detroit offense.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Van wrote:Those professional hitters for Detroit who looked so good all year long just suddenly became undisciplined, stupid hitters who lost their sense of the strikezone.

Yeah...that same team was 6th in overall average, 3rd in OBP, lead baseball in hitting with RISP, tied for 6th with the fewest strikeouts, had 3 guys hit over .300 and some guy in their lineup lead the AL in the 3 major offensive categories (and several others)...yeah, that crappy hitting team.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:The Nats have a much brighter future than the "We'll start trying by the end of the regular season" Tigers.
Much brighter? That's stretching it. Nats may have a bright future, but the Tigers aren't going anywhere. The core of their team is young and should be intact for some time. And remember, the middle of that lineup was supposed to feature Victor Martinez, but he was lost for the season. Should be back and healthy next year.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:That was a truly brilliant move by the Nats to shelve Strasbourg for the playoffs rather than for the opening month of the season or anywhere else during the season. I mean, hey, baseball teams from Washington are always in the playoffs so who cares if they pissed away a chance at a ring in order to make the silliest, most nonsensically arbitrary and unprecedented personnel move in the history of modern American sport?
Who gives a fuck? Nobody will ever know with absolute certainty if it was the right move or not, and nobody will know if they would've gone any further with Strasburg anyway. Got any other random debates from a month ago you'd like to rehash in this thread while you're at it?
Anyway, the Giants proved yet again that most basic of baseball realities: good pitching > good hitting.
I think most would argue Detroit had a better rotation than San Fran heading into the Series. But the Giants did what championship teams are supposed to do -- put it all together when it matters most. Props to the Giants. They were the better team.