Reusable shopping bags...

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Reusable shopping bags...

Post by Left Seater »

Was just wondering how many of you guys use them? I am sure those of you screaming about global warming have been using them for years, but what about the rest of you?

My local shop is giving them away for the next few weeks and then they take $.10 off per each bag you bring in when you shop. That is enough for me to start using them. Give me them for free and pay me to bring them back, sounds good.

So do y'all use them?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Reusable shopping bags...

Post by War Wagon »

I have them, usually forget to bring them until I'm standing in line at the checkout. :doh:

I hate those stupid plastic bags I see hanging in the trees everywhere.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Central Market by HEB. Competes locally with Whole Foods, but isn't as out there as Whole Foods. You can still find some normal things like Diet Coke.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

reusable shopping bags have been in common use here in Australia for about 10 years
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I'm not using some dirty old unsanitary bag to tote my groceries. When we had cats the plastic bags were handy for you know what. Now I just recycle them. The whole concept of those bags is simply another example of PC horse shit.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

While I might have agreed with you Wolf just a few months ago, when it doesn't cost anything to acquire them and I save money, that was enough for me.

Todd, who carries them around? I Grab a cart (buggy) for you northerners from the lot and put them underneath till checkout. I don't think they stay in my hand for more than a few seconds at a time.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Wolfman wrote:I'm not using some dirty old unsanitary bag to tote my groceries.
I feel your pain. My wife doesn't carry the groceries either.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Left Seater wrote:I Grab a cart (buggy) for you northerners...
Nobody up here calls them "buggies."

oh, and rack Goobs.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

We have a few hanging from a hook in the kitchen. We use them to store the plastic bags for recyling.
:oops:

Actually, I take a couple with me every Saturday morning to the farmers market. You can put a lot more in one of those than in a plastic grocery bag, and they're easier to carry. I've used them at the grocery store a few times but I usually forget either to put them in the car or, when I have them in the car, I forget to take them into the store.

Anybody who sees it as "PC horseshit" is nothing more than a short sighted vindictive moron. Who would have thought? Anybody who thinks they look like handbags is...well, Todd.

Note to wolfie: Keep your grocery bags and your cat litter bags in separate places and you won't have to worry so much about putting your groceries in a dirty old unsantiary bag.

Plastic bags do contribute in a big way to the litter problem but people are so used to using them that it's hard to change. A few cities have actually outlawed them and, while this may be going too far, I would not be completely against it. Maybe it would be better to add a small recycling charge, like for cans and bottles, and then pay people to turn them in.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

^^^^^
Predictable response. It's still "feel good" bull shit.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

It's "feel good" bull shit? You were actually a teacher?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:A few cities have actually outlawed them

Sin,
Portland

I prefer paper (since we're the paper capital, it makes sense), but I reuse the plastic ones for storing leftovers, and all sorts of stuff.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote:^^^^^
Predictable response. It's still "feel good" bull shit.
^^^^
Predictable response. You're still a short sighted vindictive moron.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:

Sin,
Portland

I prefer paper (since we're the paper capital, it makes sense), but I reuse the plastic ones for storing leftovers, and all sorts of stuff.
Wait minute. If Portland outlawed them, where are you getting them?

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Wolfman wrote:It's still "feel good" bull shit.
really?

I'm no green freak, but not only are those plastic bags unsightly litter, they kill wildlife by the thousands who get ensnared in them. Google it.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Who needs wildlife when you've got Winn Dixie and plenty of clean sanitary plastic bags to tote your groceries in?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Sin,
Portland

Wait minute. If Portland outlawed them, where are you getting them?

Fair question.

First, I spend about half my "home-time" (not working out of town) in Portland proper, and the rest in Tigard (I'm about a stone's throw from the Portland city limits), where no such ban exists.

Also, the plastic bag ban only applies to retailers over a certain number of square footage (can't remember how much, 5000 SF maybe?). Gookmarts and the like can still use plastic.

So, they're still around, just not at the grocery store. We've been getting the $0.X discount for bringing a bag for many years now. Bring an armful of them, and you can save a buck. They charge a little bit for the reusables (usually less than $1), but if I pay my auto insurance in person (right up the street, and one of the chicks there wants the Dinscock), they give me one.

That said... I never remember to bring them. Hell, I'm usually out of town -- I buy little in the way of groceries these days. Sometimes one meal's worth, and only if I'm cooking for others.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mikey wrote:Who needs wildlife when you've got Winn Dixie and plenty of clean sanitary plastic bags to tote your groceries in?
Not to mention the Piggly Wiggly.
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

ps: received it today and thought it fit here. i'm not a plastic bag nazi but do tend to use reusables because excessive waste isn't my bag.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Some of the discount supermarket chains around here (Aldi's, Price Mart, etc.) have gotten away from bags altogether as a cost-saving measure. We have a few reuseable bags at the house for that reason.

Of course, I've been known to take off for said places without the reuseable bags on occasion. In those cases, I usually wind up bringing out an empty laundry basket to bring in the groceries.

Btw, another cost-saving measure Aldi's employs: all their shopping carts are chained together. You have to put a quarter into a slot to unlock one from the rest of the group. You can get your quarter back when you're done with the cart, but only if you lock it back up with the rest of the group.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Some of the discount supermarket chains around here (Aldi's, Price Mart, etc.) have gotten away from bags altogether as a cost-saving measure. We have a few reuseable bags at the house for that reason.

Of course, I've been known to take off for said places without the reuseable bags on occasion. In those cases, I usually wind up bringing out an empty laundry basket to bring in the groceries.

Btw, another cost-saving measure Aldi's employs: all their shopping carts are chained together. You have to put a quarter into a slot to unlock one from the rest of the group. You can get your quarter back when you're done with the cart, but only if you lock it back up with the rest of the group.
Why do you an Aldi's hate retards?

The reason we leave carts sitting all over the parking lot is to drum up bidness for autobody shops and give retards something to do.

We have an Aldi's in town. Shop there on occasion, but, they are a bit out of the way for me. There is one thing I like about them. They have actually figured out that it makes sense to pay a few good people decent coin rather than a lot of mouth breathers minimum wage. The next time you are in there just watch the cashiers, they blow through your checkout in breath taking speed.

Know why?

Because they realize they are paid at least 50% over the normal market wage for checker outers and performance is demanded of them.

As for the bag thing, the OL has a handful of them in her car. I use them on ocassion, when I remember to bring them.

Note to wolfie:

I don't do this because it is good for the environment. I am trying to wreck the planet as fast as the rest of my conservative brothers, but, a cloth fukking bag works about 87 times better than a .7 mil thick plastic one. How many times have you dumped your groceries all over the driveway because that plastic bag broke? You could put as many lead weights as a pencil neck hippie could lift, into that cloth bag and it will not break. I will give you that the plastic ones make better dog shit glove/bags.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

smackaholic wrote:The next time you are in there just watch the cashiers, they blow through your checkout in breath taking speed.

Know why?

Because they realize they are paid at least 50% over the normal market wage for checker outers and performance is demanded of them.

As for the bag thing, the OL has a handful of them in her car. I use them on ocassion, when I remember to bring them.

While this is generally a good thing I have noticed that these checkers that are concerned with their items per minute number will often wait until someone has completely unloaded the cart before they start scanning. They don't want someone bringing down their number. Slows the overall process slightly.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Aldi?

Aldi is for broke fucks who can't afford Walmart.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:Aldi?

:?

Aldi is about as smart as a business model as it gets. Ever read up on them? Of course not, you have no need for book learnin'.

Hypocrite.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Never even heard of Aldo. Is it some East Coast Italian thing? Warehouse store?

Costco doesn't ever give out bags. They'll offer to pack your stuff in a box, though. I used to get a box there every time but they started piling up in my garage, so now I keep one of those heavy duty apple/pear boxes that have nice hand holds on the ends in the back of my car. I just wheel the cart out to the lot and pack the box myself.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

War Wagon wrote:Aldi?

No, that would be Big Lots and the Dollar Store.

My Grandparents have been shopping at Aldi for years, and they're rich as fuck...though you'd never know it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey, Aldi is eurotrash owned a commie like you would like them.

Wags, You are dumber than a box of hammers with all the smart hammers picked out.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

88 wrote:Aldi is a German company owned by a very rich German family. Trader Joe's is one of the company's U.S. brands. I think Aldi stores suck in comparison to the other grocery options in my fare city. Trader Joe's is deece for low end wine. But grossly overpriced for just about everything else.
Yes and yes. I never said Aldi had a smorgasbord to choose from. I said it had a great business model.

Trader Joe's is good, but not great. It's like a high-end Aldi.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Not only will I be requesting plastic bags at the G-store from now on, im going to immediately use them to litter throughout San Diego afterward while LMAO. No joke.

Fucking tedius old assholes.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Once in awhile I'm that broke fuck who shops at Aldi. Went there a coupla' few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised once I got their store brands home and found the quality not much less than national name brands. Seems they've made some big improvements from what I remember a few years ago. I'll go back again sometime soon and save a few bucks.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

RJ wrote:Not only will I be requesting plastic bags at the G-store from now on, im going to immediately use them to litter throughout San Diego afterward while LMAO. No joke.

Fucking tedius old assholes.

Exactly why is anybody supposed to give a rat's ass what you do?
You matter about as much as one of those annoying sand fleas buzzing around the rotting plant material that dominates the lagoon you live on.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Actually, I take a couple with me every Saturday morning to the farmers market.
Yeah, we have some large canvas bags for that purpose. I rarely if ever use them in the grocery store, though.

Supporting a ban on plastic or paper bags is something to keep low grade morons occupied and kills a few more jobs while they're at it, so it's a win-win for the Welfare State.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

have the whole foods reusable bags. take 'em to aldi and the farmer's market and the trashy shop n save. better handles and less chance of shit rolling out or breaking. don't much care about the planet stuff. just find the reusable ones practical once you consistently remember to bring 'em.
why is my neighborhood on fire
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

RJ wrote:Not only will I be requesting plastic bags at the G-store from now on, im going to immediately use them to litter throughout San Diego afterward while LMAO. No joke.
Dude, if you take time out of your day to trash your own city, you'll TOTALLY get over on these dudes!!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote: Supporting a ban on plastic or paper bags is something to keep low grade morons occupied and kills a few more jobs while they're at it, so it's a win-win for the Welfare State.
It would probably be a net increase in jobs if plastic bags were replaced by reusable cloth. I know of a place in SoCal that produces over 800,000,000 bags a year (yes, that's 800 million and I imagine there are a few more like it) and the whole process takes probably half a dozen people to run.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote: It would probably be a net increase in jobs if plastic bags were replaced by reusable cloth. I know of a place in SoCal that produces over 800,000,000 bags a year (yes, that's 800 million and I imagine there are a few more like it) and the whole process takes probably half a dozen people to run.

Math isn't your strong suit, is it?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote: It would probably be a net increase in jobs if plastic bags were replaced by reusable cloth. I know of a place in SoCal that produces over 800,000,000 bags a year (yes, that's 800 million and I imagine there are a few more like it) and the whole process takes probably half a dozen people to run.

Actually, it is.

Care to point out any errors?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Actually, it is.

Care to point out any errors?

The errors were pretty much... all of it.

So ~6 people can produce enough reusable shopping bags to outfit everyone who shops in this country with about 5 bags in 2 years.

If these bags are durable, they just worked themselves right out of a job, eh?

And if these bags get used regularly, do you suppose it might put more than 6 people out of work who once produced paper and plastic bags?

6 temporary positions that eliminated hundreds/thousands of jobs is a "net increase"?

Sure you don't wanna back up and take another run at that?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You might want to check your reading comprehension, once you sober up.

The 6 people were producing over 800,000,000 plastic bags, not the reusable bags. I think that was pretty clear from my post, at least to anybody at more than a 5th grade level of reading.

Also, I didn't say that they produce all of the bags. I said that I imagine that there are a few more places like it. You do understand that sentence, don't you? OK maybe not. That would indicate that I believe that there is more than one facility producing a comparable number of plastic bags. How many there are I have no idea. But it doesn't take very many people to produce a shitload of plastic bags.

Pretty sure the cloth bags are just a little more labor intensive.

Fuck it...why do I even bother.

:meds:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Fuck it...why do I even bother.

I wonder why you do as well -- if you're going to go to all the trouble to post, you should include the few extra words it takes to take the virtual marbles out of your mouth and make sense.