WTF is up with the KC airport

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

WTF is up with the KC airport

Post by Felix »

First time flying in to KC and was wondering if some of the KC faithful can offer some insight about why this place seems like an airport I'd find in a city of about 20k?

Seriously I have two choices of food....shitty sandwiches at a bar or shity Starbucks sandos.....the good news is they're the same price-$7.95....
get out, get out while there's still time
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Re: WTF is up with the KC airport

Post by Ken »

Sure it is still MUCH better than it used to be... the days when Vanguard was in biz and used it as a hub. Had to take a piss while waiting for your flight? Sorry... gotta go back outside security to do so.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

It is KC after all.

What the fuck did you expect... something like DFW?
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The way you guys grade airports is all fucked up. IMO, the best airports are the ones you spend the least time in. I remember flying into Lubbock, TX a few years before 9-11 and you got dropped off on the tarmac, walked into the airport, got your bags and were in your rental car within 20 minutes. Sure, the air at Buddy Holly International or whatever the hell they called that place smelled like cowshit, but THAT is how its done.

Who cares if DFW has more stores than Mall of America? Its not like you can go to them. You're too busy running from terminal to terminal trying to keep up with your flight changes. Give me a a smooth running shithole like Lubbock over DFW any day.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Layovers are just the way it is anymore. Eating is more important than in years past. Plus I hate the Southwest cattle call style of boarding but my golf clubs fly free!!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote:On the plus side if you're flying out you can get dropped off and walk 20 yds to your gate.
Don't do much flying myself, but I've picked up and dropped off family there many times
and it's a breeze getting in and out.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

RSW is a great place, but I'd only be leaving or arriving. Was in San Antonio a few years ago and surprised at how small and cramped it was. Changing planes in ATL or ORD can be like running a 5K race. I haven't flown since the new TSA groping regulations. I've been in maximum security prisons where there was less intrusive inspection. There's no place I have to be that I can't get to by some other mode of transport. Taking the auto-train in August again to knock off a lot of the I-95 nightmare.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

What is this “What is up with the KC airport…” that you speak of Felix?

:mrgreen:

What Scott said: You are literally 75 feet from the curb to your jet-way. Kansas Citians do not eat - much less shop – at the airport. Sucks to be you if you do. We board planes and fly to exotic places like, say, Boise. We love our airport for its convenience.

As a destination airport, it’s the best in the country.

However, if you’re laying over or changing planes… Well, meh. You’ve just landed in Green Bay.

All that said, the Kansas City Infrastructure and Travel Committee is pushing for federal matching dollars for the construction of a brand new terminal that will provide tards from, say, as far away as Idaho the amenities that they are accustomed to in other big city airports.

Oh, it isn’t because we’re concerned about the comfort of our out-of-town travellers… It’s just the city is looking for better opportunities to soak dollars out of the folks that land here, ala every other big city airport in this country.

Residents are sharpening pitchforks, boiling tar and stuffing gunny sacks with feathers in preparation for such an audacious change.

But it’s gonna happen.

KC built an innovative, three terminal design back in the 70’s. Trouble is, bankruptcy, buy-outs, and consolidation have pushed 90% of gate traffic into a single terminal - Terminal B. A and C are both ghost towns, while B resembles a United Nations aid station (or a DC area Wal-Mart) after no less than two dozen planes land within a half hour of one another. TSA hates its guts. Want a Coke? Gotta take a shit? Cool. You get to experience a second opportunity for a federal security shakedown.

The Star, just this morning, published an article outlining the newest proposal for airport upgrade, and the construction of One Big Terminal. Rest assured, Felix, five years from now you will have the opportunity to purchase burnt, bitter coffee from Starbucks or a singularly underwhelming meal from Applebees as you wait out your connection home.

Scott flies more in a month out of KCI than I do in a year, but I’m sure he would concur…
Ken

Post by Ken »

Truman wrote:Rest assured, Felix, five years from now you will have the opportunity to purchase burnt, bitter coffee from Starbucks or a singularly underwhelming meal from Applebees as you wait out your connection home.
Connection? At KCI?
Who the hell connects through KCI? Last time it was a hub for anything other than 'get me outta here' was when Vanguard set up shop there.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Ken wrote: Who the hell connects through KCI? Last time it was a hub for anything other than 'get me outta here' was when Vanguard set up shop there.
EVERYBODY connects to Boise, Ken.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Wolfman wrote:I haven't flown since the new TSA groping regulations. I've been in maximum security prisons where there was less intrusive inspection. There's no place I have to be that I can't get to by some other mode of transport.
Dude...

has your PC got some sort of built-in alert for these threads? You rarely post anymore, yet anytime the subject of airports or TSA comes up, you drop your prune juice and show up here in an instant. I think there's something deeper here. Go ahead, show us on the doll where LaShonda "groped" you. Believe me, those folks making 11 bucks an hour aren't enjoying that intimate encounter with your chesticles any more than you are.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mgo wrote:Go ahead, show us on the doll where LaShonda "groped" you.
:lol:
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Maybe because KC is the last place on earth one would fly into unless they HAD to?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Necessary evil for some, Trev.

If you ever land here, please don't stay. We've enough vodka-soaked skanks locally without importing any from SoCal.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Truman wrote:Necessary evil for some, Trev.

If you ever land here, please don't stay. We've enough vodka-soaked skanks locally without importing any from SoCal.
Don't underestimate vodka soaked California skanks.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

trev wrote:Maybe because KC is the last place on earth one would fly into unless they HAD to?
The last place on earth? I can think of some pretty bad places around the world but regardless, nobody has to fly into KC.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Truman, I would never stay. But I might take in a KC vs SD game if given the chance.
Ken

Post by Ken »

KC Scott wrote:I also don't get why, since United bought Continental, they haven't consolidated those into a single terminal either
Because they've ass-raped themselves enough by way of their abject failure to smoothly integrate everything else between the two airlines. Consolidating gates ranks after donating $$$ to the Jerry Sandusky Foundation.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

trev, stop acting so high maintenance. It's unbecoming. Is KC a destination spot? No. Could you entertain yourself there for a weekend? Yes. It's even got a Ruth's Chris, so you could manage to feel elegant for a couple of hours.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

KC Scott wrote: I also don't get why, since United bought Continental, they haven't consolidated those into a single terminal either
Because we all know how good the airlines are at as far as operational and logistical efficiencies. Especially those huge carriers with their great economy's of scale.Tell us you knew that.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

trev wrote:Truman, I would never stay. But I might take in a KC vs SD game if given the chance.
Well, then, come visit us Trev.

Not only will your Charger gear entice the Arrowhead denizens to invite you to their tailgate, their fully stocked bars will keep you plied in bloodys and vodka tonics. We're friendly that way.

After taking your usual 20-17 beating, you can enjoy a stress-free zip back to the airport -- and a 75 foot walk to your gate home. How we roll.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:trev, stop acting so high maintenance. It's unbecoming. Is KC a destination spot? No. Could you entertain yourself there for a weekend? Yes. It's even got a Ruth's Chris, so you could manage to feel elegant for a couple of hours.
I am not high maintenance at all. It isn't even about that. Why on earth would one visit KC? Unless maybe Truman is around to entertain.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

trev wrote:Why on earth would one visit KC?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

trev wrote:Maybe because KC is the last place on earth one would fly into unless they HAD to?
RACK! the helloutta trev
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

trev wrote:
I am not high maintenance at all. It isn't even about that. Why on earth would one visit KC? Unless maybe Truman is around to entertain.
Oh, for cat's sake. Gather hubby/bestest girlfriend and come East for a game. We'll rally the locals, stuff your grill with 'cue, pour endless drinks, and send you home believing that those KC guys are pretty much OK.

After we kick your ass, of course.

No shit, Trev: Drop me a PM if you guys wanna come in. Where to stay, where to eat, where to drink... All that good stuff. Good bunch here. BTW, Charger gear is not discouraged at Arrowhead. Not that it will help.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Last time I traveled east to Chicago, I went from BOI-DEN-STL-MDW, now I do remember seeing the Truman Sports Complex as we were flying over KC.

Most flights from here to the east usually go through Minneapolis or Denver. Best airport I have had to layover at was Oakland of all places, not very crowded and easy to get from gate to gate.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Papa Willie wrote: Sure it was an old 737...
Some interesting facts about that 'old' 737:
wiki wrote:The 737 series is the best-selling jet airliner in the history of aviation. The 737 has been continuously manufactured by Boeing since 1967 with 7,147 aircraft delivered and 2,641 orders yet to be fulfilled as of April 2012. 737 assembly is centered at the Boeing Renton Factory in Renton, Washington. There are, on average, 1,250 Boeing 737s airborne at any given time, with two departing or landing somewhere every five seconds.
Quite the workhorse.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Karma just bit me badly in the butt. I was looking at my itinerary for my upcoming trip to Nashville and on the way home I stop in KC. :shock: Luckily only for 45 minutes. Is it true there are no convenient bathrooms in that airport? A girl has to know these things.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

No worries, trev...

Got a whole shit-load of these right out on the tarmac:

Some even have hand-sanitizer. Best to get about your business pretty quickly, though - I've heard that you don't want to be in there and get caught in the jet-wash when a plane taxis by...
Last edited by Truman on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Just want to tell you how much I hated the KC airport. The bathroom was close by, but had only 2 stalls. The airport really needs to be updated. I should have taken pics because on looking back, it was a horrible ordeal even for an hour. The kicker and worst part of it? There were flies! I didn't see any flies in TN. And I don't see them around here much. So it really grossed me out.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

trev wrote:Just want to tell you how much I hated the KC airport. The bathroom was close by, but had only 2 stalls. The airport really needs to be updated. I should have taken pics because on looking back, it was a horrible ordeal even for an hour. The kicker and worst part of it? There were flies! I didn't see any flies in TN. And I don't see them around here much. So it really grossed me out.
you must have been in the same terminal I was in....say, did you try one of the $7.95 sammiches? stale bread, wilted lettuce, mystery meat (although it was supposedly roast beef) dried out cheese, with about a thimble full of mayo and mustard.....it took two bottles of $3 water just to choke half of it down....
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

trev wrote:Just want to tell you how much I hated the KC airport. The bathroom was close by, but had only 2 stalls. The airport really needs to be updated. I should have taken pics because on looking back, it was a horrible ordeal even for an hour. The kicker and worst part of it? There were flies! I didn't see any flies in TN. And I don't see them around here much. So it really grossed me out.
Why, I NEVER... the nerve of those pesky KC flies!

I hope you demanded your quarter back.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

War Wagon wrote:I hope you demanded your quarter back.
Why? What good would Philip Rivers have been?
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

War Wagon wrote:I hope you demanded your quarter back.
KC requires payment in order to be shit and pissed on? Why? Are they worried it's going to turn into even more of a shithole?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Felix wrote:
you must have been in the same terminal I was in....say, did you try one of the $7.95 sammiches? stale bread, wilted lettuce, mystery meat (although it was supposedly roast beef) dried out cheese, with about a thimble full of mayo and mustard.....it took two bottles of $3 water just to choke half of it down....
Yes, the dreaded generic deli. Nothing looked very good. Don't most airports these days have a Chili's or something? I did buy a scone and a water. Took one bite of the scone and threw it out. 6 bucks and some change for both.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Felix wrote:Plus I hate the Southwest cattle call style of boarding but my golf clubs fly free!!
The new Southwest boarding process has removed all of the old "Cattle Call". There is no need to get there early or to wait in the boarding line. Now you know your place when you check in. Plus if you want to you can "buy up" to an earlier place in line. Or if you are a frequent flier they reserve a spot at the front of the line for you.

Can't beat the two free bags part though. Skis, golf clubs, hockey gear all fly for free too! That plus they tend to get you there on time with your checked bags.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Just don't get stuck in KC if you're hungry. Unless you want to go thru security again. That is a major hassle.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

KC Scott wrote:you either didn't read, remember or didn't understand what was written in this thread

If you'd left the gate area there were restaurants right there next to Southwest ticketing

You'd have had to go back thru security - but if your layover was more than an hour it may have been worth it
I saw the restaurants after I'd talked to you and was kicking myself for not calling when I first got there...I still would have spent the $20, but it would have been much better food....and getting through the KC security gate on a Saturday afternoon is no problem....there were a total of about 3 people ahead of me when I came back after getting some air.....
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

We flew Southwest this time because I found a good price with them. If you go online exactly 24 hours before your flight to get your boarding passes you can get a pretty good number. Otherwise, you might be stuck at the end of the line getting the last pick of the seats. And the 2 bags were a bonus because we did a little too much shopping while there.

I would be afraid to leave and go back thru security not knowing how long it would take though.