Can anyone recomend a good book on the Knights Templar?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Can anyone recomend a good book on the Knights Templar?

Post by Killian »

Looking to do a little reading on them, wanted to know what was good, and what is shit. Thanks.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

What are you looking for on them. I can reccommend a number of works to you on their order but it would be more helpful for what it is about them that you are looking into. There is definatly no shortage of books on them though.

As far as the general recorded history that is completly factual and not totaly speculative, I reccomend Charles G. Addison's The History of the Knights Templars, but it is a very hard read and is mostly just translations of extremely old documents pertaining to the religious order.

If your looking into the esoteric theories that have been levied against the order I would reccomend reading reading just about anything by Robert Knight and Christopher Lomas. I like their work but their theories are pretty hard to stomache for the typical American.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I'm looking for something that tells about their history, what led to their downfall and what they did after their downfall.

Factual would be great, but I wouldn't mind something that talks about theories or rumors of the order. Thanks for the help.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Loganfan
Anti-Spam Fan

Post by Loganfan »

Good read here......still checking on books. I swear I had one a few years ago..

http://www.houseofhorrors.com/templar.htm
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

i would imagine anything including the first three crusades would be good for that subject
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Born In Blood by John J. Robison (deals directly with the Templars through their persecution and into the Peasant's Revolt of Great Brittain.

The Hiram Key, The Book of Hiram, Uriel's Machine, The Second Messiah, All by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas. Although I wouldn't suggest them if you are entrenched in Christian doctrine as their theories concerning the Knights, Jesus, and Early Christianity/Judaism are pretty inflamatory in the views of many Christians. The Catholic Church went to so far in the 80s as to label them both heretics and issued statements condemming any catholic who might attend one of their speeches.

The Templar Revelation, Lynne Picknet and Clive Prince.

The Templars and the Assasins: The MIlitias of Heaven by James Wasserman delves into the numerous connection between The Assassins (a sect of early Islam and were the common word in today's usage derives from), and Templars. Both Orders were destroyed by their respective religions in the same period for being heretics.

Those are just off the top of the noggin. I have a two shelfs full in storage but those are the most interesting to me that come to mind and I keep lying around my home.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

The Templars- Edward Burman

Pretty insightful stuff.. From their rise to their downfall(Jacques demolays trial and execution)..