Should another team be able to win the cup this year?

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Should another team be able to win the cup this year?

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

I'd say it's pretty clear that the whole NHL season is going to be cancelled. Should another non NHL team be able to with the Stanley Cup? The NHL doesn't own the cup, they are only trustees of it. When Lord Stanley donated the cup, he said that it must be presented each year to the best amateur team in Canada. The NHL just got it's hands on the cup around 80 years ago, and they've been presenting it ever since. I can guarantee you that someone will end up challenging the NHL in court for the right to win the Cup. Screw the NHL, I think it would be great. Perhaps the best team in the AHL should win it. The Swedish Elite league is currently the best league in the world, so maybe the best team their should win it. What do you think?
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

I would hope that no other team than an NHL team would be awarded it and especially not a Swedish Elite league team.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

No, I don't think a Swedish Elite team should win it either. Maybe an amateur tournament in Canada could take place instead, or maybe the best junior team should with the Memorial cup as well as the Stanley cup. I just say screw the NHL, they don't own the cup anyways
Spex
Crack Whore

Post by Spex »

Although it does sound like a good plan in theory, I would have to vote no.

As a hockey purist, I'd rather see a blank space on the cup rather than some amateur club team's name and a list of nobody's engraved into Lord Stanley's mug.

Just my $0.02
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

I want 'Season cancelled due to greed' engraved in this years spot.
JD
Elwood

Re: Should another team be able to win the cup this year?

Post by JD »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:When Lord Stanley donated the cup, he said that it must be presented each year to the best amateur team in Canada.
Well that kinda went out the window a while ago, now didn't it?

Nope... we can't be giving the Cup to some other team in another league. If we do, then what's to stop them from claiming it belongs to them or their league once the NHL gets going again?
Still a FlameFan
PL
Same for me. Be nice.

Post by PL »

my guess is the NHL owns the stanley cup.

I dont think anyone will be engraving anything on it without the NHL standing over the engravers shoulder....and it sure as shit isnt gonna have the sasktoon wheat fielders team name.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Hapday wrote:I want 'Season cancelled due to greed' engraved in this years spot.
Perfect!
Dreams......Temporary Madness
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Spex wrote:Although it does sound like a good plan in theory, I would have to vote no.

As a hockey purist, I'd rather see a blank space on the cup rather than some amateur club team's name and a list of nobody's engraved into Lord Stanley's mug.

Just my $0.02
If memory serves me correctly, there are amateur team's names already engraved into the cup.

But I'm with you on this one, I'd rather see a blank space there to remind all of what happens when you have two fools ruining the game.

Betteman, Goodenow and their top lieutenants all deserve to be replaced.

But there may be hope yet
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Hapday wrote:I want 'Season cancelled due to greed' engraved in this years spot.

RACK!

I don't think anyone should get the Cup this year...just keep it at the Hall of Fame and let the fans enjoy it. The worst part of the whole lock out thing will be no playoffs...it'll hurt like hell not seeing someone skating the Cup in June. Sucks for LightningFan to not get to enjoy the thrill of the having their home opener this year with the banner raising and all of the celebrations.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I wish a miracle could happen but if one side caves and they sign a bad deal to cater to us...we'll still have problems down the road. I wouldn't be bothered as much with how long this lock out has been if the two sides were atleast working hard at making a deal. They need to work non-stop and hope to hammer something out soon. If this goes into February, there's no way there will be enough time for a season. You can't have a legit season with less than 40 games. It's just not be encouraging to see how little of progress has been made and how little of time they've spent bargaining. The fact the players can make money elsewhere and the owners are holding onto their money...you don't sense any urgency from either side.

I heard a sad story the other day. The company that makes the game pucks had to lay off most of their employees because their sales are way down due to lack of interest. I want the NHL back as a fan but the people who earn a living from hockey is hurting far worse. No one is really looking after these guys throughout the process.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Yup, 300 people at a plant in Quebec.
They are only a small part of the innocent that have been the real victims of greed by millionaires and billionaires.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Otis wrote:Yup, 300 people at a plant in Quebec.
They are only a small part of the innocent that have been the real victims of greed by millionaires and billionaires.

Yeah, that's the one...heard it on the radio. Here's the story on ESPN:
Link
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Not to mention those of us who have wives that work 40 hockey games a year and if these assholes don't play we don't get paid. It's nice that they think about all those who are responsible for putting the games on TV so no one can watch.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

[quote="Laxplayer"]Not to mention those of us who have wives that work 40 hockey games

What are you crying about?????

During this lockout the NHL player get a measly $10,000 a month to live on. That's barely enough to pay for all five BMW's, mortgage on their $1,000,00 home, AND go golfing six days a week.

They may make a lot of money but they spend a lot too.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

What I'm crying about is the fact that my wife depends on these games for income. If she doesn't work them then my family takes about a 10 grand a year hit financially. Now maybe your post was in jest, but these assholes don't give a damn about the little person.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

Otis wrote:
Spex wrote:Although it does sound like a good plan in theory, I would have to vote no.

Just my $0.02
If memory serves me correctly, there are amateur team's names already engraved into the cup.

But I'm with you on this one, I'd rather see a blank space there to remind all of what happens when you have two fools ruining the game.

Betteman, Goodenow and their top lieutenants all deserve to be replaced.

But there may be hope yet
only if Beavis Bettman and Butthead Goodnenow are in the NWT-far away from this while cooler heads are talking it out.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL