4 Green Jackets

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

4 Green Jackets

Post by BSmack »

Tiger Woods now occupies that spot in the Champions locker room heretofore reserved for Jack and Arnold.

Only 2 more and he will be tied with Jack. Anybody wanna bet against him now?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Dude's probably the best who ever played ... however, cheering for him is sort of like cheering for Microsoft to do well in the IT industry, or hoping the Yankees have a shot of getting to the post-season.

I was hoping DiMarco would win today, but props to Woods.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Oh, and it would be nice if he bothered to show up with half of his game when playing in the Ryder Cup. Somebody needs to tell him he's really playing in the Masters when that event comes up next year.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RadioFan wrote:Oh, and it would be nice if he bothered to show up with half of his game when playing in the Ryder Cup. Somebody needs to tell him he's really playing in the Masters when that event comes up.
I could give a damn if the US ever wins another Ryder Cup again. All these biennial team match play events can just suck my nutsack. The only people who talk about their Ryder Cup records are guys who don't have anything else to talk about. Like Monty.

BTW: Tiger is still refining his swing change. He'll be truly something else once he's 100%
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Picking Tiger is easy, but big giant huge props to DiMarco. Most would have wilted under that kind of pressure from Woods, but he seemed to thrive on it. I was really pulling for DiMarco to win it-but having Woods as the reigning Masters Champion isn't all bad. A great finish to a really great tournament.
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:Picking Tiger is easy, but big giant huge props to DiMarco. Most would have wilted under that kind of pressure from Woods, but he seemed to thrive on it. I was really pulling for DiMarco to win it-but having Woods as the reigning Masters Champion isn't all bad. A great finish to a really great tournament.
Rack that. DiMarco is a classy guy who still can cash in a first place major finish someday. But nobody is a match for Tiger when they spot him 3 strokes in the last round of a major. There is nothing wrong with appreciating greatness when it is validated.

BTW: Here's the list of players who have more majors than Tiger.

Jack Nicklaus- 18
Walter Hagen- 11

That's all folks. :wink:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

DiMarco was solid. It would have been quite easy to pack it in after Woods' birdie on 16. I doubt he thought he would be losing a shot after they both teed off. He was so close to holing in on 18 himself. That would have been a serious comeback if there ever was one.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

BSmack wrote:
RadioFan wrote:Oh, and it would be nice if he bothered to show up with half of his game when playing in the Ryder Cup. Somebody needs to tell him he's really playing in the Masters when that event comes up.
I could give a damn if the US ever wins another Ryder Cup again. All these biennial team match play events can just suck my nutsack. The only people who talk about their Ryder Cup records are guys who don't have anything else to talk about. Like Monty.

BTW: Tiger is still refining his swing change. He'll be truly something else once he's 100%
Really?

So I suppose that huge win at The Country Club in Brookline really didn't mean shit then.
That would explain why the dancing and celebrating on the 17th green Sunday by American players, wives and caddies after Justin Leonard made a 45-foot put, even though the match hadn't been decided yet.

:roll:

Tiger's record in Ryder Cup matches speaks for itself, he sucks at them.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:
BSmack wrote:

Really?

So I suppose that huge win at The Country Club in Brookline really didn't mean shit then.
That would explain why the dancing and celebrating on the 17th green Sunday by American players, wives and caddies after Justin Leonard made a 45-foot put, even though the match hadn't been decided yet.

Tiger's record in Ryder Cup matches speaks for itself, he sucks at them.
Quick!

Without Googling, tell me Jack's Ryder cup record.

Like I said, the Ryder Cup matches are meaningless.

Also, Jack played Ryder Cup against much weaker competition. Let's not forget that. It was only in 83 that Continental Europeans were included on the team. Before that, the US would beat down the English team like a rented mule.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

BSmack wrote:Like I said, the Ryder Cup matches are meaningless.
Perhaps if you buy into American TV networks' bullshit, unless of course they happen to be the network covering the Ryder Cup.

No offense to you nor your admiration of Tiger's nutsack, B, but I used to hate watching golf on TV, until I sat down and started watching Brookline in 1999. Been hooked ever since. Call me crazy, but I think actually playing for national pride rather than money is a little more appealing to me as a sports fan.

Or maybe it's just my bad, because I have never, nor will ever, buy into TV network promos to watch some "superstar," fueled by a sanctioning body and their corporate sponsors ... i.e. the whole "Jordan" concept. You know ... "Coming up next Sunday, it's final round coverage of the buttcake invitational. Will Tiger Woods extend his winning streak? Find out, next Sunday on ___insert network here___."

No sir. It was the Ryder Cup that got me watching this game on TV, not Tiger Woods and certainly not some bullshit advertising and promo scheme, which Jim Nance seems to be paid to do these days, with every idiotic utterance.

I wouldn't mind half as much if Woods would actually live up to half the gloss that Nance and the rest of these fucktards utter with glee, week in and week out, by at least being respectable against some no-name Euro scrub in the Ryder Cup -- and meaningful or not, his performance in those competitions is like some Lithuanian dude putting up 40 on Michael Jordan in the Olympics. Could not and did not ever happen in basketball, yet Tiger lets it, every single time in golf.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

RadioFan wrote:Dude's probably the best who ever played ... however, cheering for him is sort of like cheering for Microsoft to do well in the IT industry,
Don't see the comparison. Gates has actively pursued supressing all competition via forced software bundling, theft and modification of other companies software, or via lawsuits intended to destroy competition financially, with a product that is somewhat less than stellar. How does Tiger Compare at all?
hoping the Yankees have a shot of getting to the post-season.
Dont get this one either. Yankes have a $205 million dollar payroll this year, 70 plus mil above the so called "cap". To say they have loaded the post season hopper with more lottery balls than any other team is a sad understatement. Don't get the comparison to Tiger at all here. What advantage of a similar nature does he have?
.e. the whole "Jordan" concept.
Don't see this one either. The NBA is a fucking joke and has been for a decade. Joprdan was talented, but he, like all superstars, benefited by the lack of rules that controlled his play. There is no favoritism in Golf. The rules are strict - almost like no other sport.

So please elaborate on why you hate the fact that Tiger is just an excellent athlete who excels at his sport like few others. Hating him because he is a media favorite is absurd. It's all well and good to root for the underdog, but that chip shot on 16 was effing AWESOME, and few players in the history of golf could have accomplished that shot under those circumstances.

Don't be player hatin'.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Mister Bushice wrote:So please elaborate on why you hate the fact that Tiger is just an excellent athlete who excels at his sport like few others. Hating him because he is a media favorite is absurd. It's all well and good to root for the underdog, but that chip shot on 16 was effing AWESOME, and few players in the history of golf could have accomplished that shot under those circumstances.

Don't be player hatin'.
That chip shot was awesome. Not taking that away from him, along with the last putt on the playoff hole, which was no gimmie, either. Like I said, dude is probably the best who's ever played.

Which is exactly why there is absolutely no reason he should lose to Euro scrubs, when national pride is on the line. For as great as he was today, losing to some guy that nobody has ever heard of, with more consonants in his name than Woods has birdies, is just as pathetic. And if it doesn't "mean anything," maybe we should just not play the Ryder Cup anymore.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

And still, not a single reference to Jack's Ryder Cup record.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:And still, not a single reference to Jack's Ryder Cup record.
17-8-3

While I enjoy watching the Ryder Cup, the majors and a few other tournaments are the ones I look forward to watching.

My earliest memories of watching golf was the 1986 Masters. Have been fortunate enough to see a few U.S. Opens (Shinnecock and Bethpage) as well. The bottom line is that players are defined by winning major titles and when all is said and done in the next decade, Tiger and Jack will have the most major titles to their credit. The subject of who is better will always be open for debate, especially if Tiger does not reach 18 major victories.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I bet Mucho Bulls had to google that Ryder cup record. ;)

I go back to watching the the 1980 PGA held at Oak Hill in Rochester on TV (and won by Jack), as well as the the annual Rochester LPGA Tournament. But I didn't become a hardcore golf nut until the mid 90s. That was when I started playing more. The more I played, the more I became interested in watching how the best players persued their craft. My first, and only major I have attended in person was the 03 PGA (again held at Oak Hill). I also have seen a few of the LPGA tournaments in person.

As for as rooting intersts go, I root for history, not players. And there is no better history than watching greatness be validated. That being said, if you look at the scope of Tiger's accomplishments already, I just don't see how anyone can objectively look at his numbers and not see the greatest golfer of all time.

Here's a few tidbits.
  • The scoring to par records in all four majors

* The Masters: -18 (270), 1997
    * US Open: -12 (272), 2000
    * The Open Championship: -19 (269), 2000
    * PGA Championship: -18 (270), 2000
  • The only golfer to ever hold all 4 professional majors at the same time.
  • The first golfer since Hogan to win 3 majors in a calender year.
  • Is 29 and already has more major wins than every other player but Nicklaus and Hagen. He is tied with Hogan and Player.
  • Broke Byron Nelson's ACTUAL scoring record in 2000. You know, the record Nelson set while winning 18 tournaments against fields depleted by WWII? Tiger also broke his own adjusted scoring record that year. He had broken Nelson's adjusted scoring record in 1999.
  • Already has seasons of 8 and 9 wins apiece. The best Nicklaus ever did was 7.
  • Is still ahead of Sam Snead's all time victories pace. With 43 wins, Tiger is just 1 behind Walter Hagen for 7th in all time wins. The nearest modern day competition are Lefty at 26 wins and Vijay at 25.
To me, what makes Tiger special is that he is not only matching Nicklaus step for step, but he is also equaling and bettering achivements by the likes of Hogan, Snead and Nelson that were once thought unmatchable in today's PGA. Assuming he doesn't do Ian Baker Finch on us, the next 15 years ought to be pretty damn special.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:there is absolutely no reason he should lose to Euro scrubs.......losing to some guy that nobody has ever heard of
Which ones haven't you heard of?

Padraig Harrington?
Colin Montgomerie?
Darren Clarke?
Lee Westwood?
Paul McGinley?

Weird. I've heard of all those guys. Matter of fact, I've watched all of them win tournaments. Some against Tiger. Regardless, those are some of the greatest names in the modern era. Not sure where the "scrubs" and "nobody has heard of" crap came into play. Apparently you don't watch a whole lot of golf if you've never heard of Colin Montgomerie or Darren Clarke. Those are a couple of BIGTIME players, right there. Matter of fact, I think I've picked Clarke as a darkhorse in this very forum. Just because YOU'VE never heard of them, doesn't mean they aren't legends of the game.

I have never seen a rule that says only Americans are allowed to be good at golf. Actually, Monty is a fine, fine player, from the country where they invented The Game. South Africa has been known to produce a deece player or two, as well.

BTW-Tiger pretty much broke even in Ryder Cup play last year.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

RadioFan wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:So please elaborate on why you hate the fact that Tiger is just an excellent athlete who excels at his sport like few others. Hating him because he is a media favorite is absurd. It's all well and good to root for the underdog, but that chip shot on 16 was effing AWESOME, and few players in the history of golf could have accomplished that shot under those circumstances.

Don't be player hatin'.
That chip shot was awesome. Not taking that away from him, along with the last putt on the playoff hole, which was no gimmie, either. Like I said, dude is probably the best who's ever played.

Which is exactly why there is absolutely no reason he should lose to Euro scrubs, when national pride is on the line. For as great as he was today, losing to some guy that nobody has ever heard of, with more consonants in his name than Woods has birdies, is just as pathetic. And if it doesn't "mean anything," maybe we should just not play the Ryder Cup anymore.

Seems to me Those "team" tourneys, like in Tennis, don't go over so well with US players. Personally I could give a crap about team play in those two sports. Golf, Like tennis (except doubles of course), is best played with one players abilities pitted against anothers, and not relying on how the third shlump on the team will do in order for the team to win.

I don't know about or follow the Ryder cup, but the ATP team championship hasn't always drawn the top players from the US because it comes at a time when they are preparing for the majors, the French and wimbledon, and US players often don't like to be overshadowed by their American competitors. It becomes a rather difficult tourney to squeeze in for a lot of the top players.

I'd rather watch a major than team event.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:Which ones haven't you heard of?

Padraig Harrington?
Colin Montgomerie?
Darren Clarke?
Lee Westwood?
Paul McGinley?

Weird. I've heard of all those guys. Matter of fact, I've watched all of them win tournaments. Some against Tiger. Regardless, those are some of the greatest names in the modern era. Not sure where the "scrubs" and "nobody has heard of" crap came into play. Apparently you don't watch a whole lot of golf if you've never heard of Colin Montgomerie or Darren Clarke. Those are a couple of BIGTIME players, right there. Matter of fact, I think I've picked Clarke as a darkhorse in this very forum. Just because YOU'VE never heard of them, doesn't mean they aren't legends of the game.
So I exaggerated. Point taken.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
RadioFan wrote:there is absolutely no reason he should lose to Euro scrubs.......losing to some guy that nobody has ever heard of

Padraig Harrington?
Colin Montgomerie?
Darren Clarke?
Lee Westwood?
Paul McGinley?

I have never seen a rule that says only Americans are allowed to be good at golf. Actually, Monty is a fine, fine player, from the country where they invented The Game. South Africa has been known to produce a deece player or two, as well.

BTW-Tiger pretty much broke even in Ryder Cup play last year.
Don't forget these guys.

Casey
Garcia
Jimenez
Levet
Howell
Poulter

The quality of play on the Euro side is VASTLY superior since the Continental players were allowed to join in the Ryder Cup. To compare Tiger's Ryder cup record to Jack's is total apples and oranges.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Hadn't forgotten those guys at all. I just listed the people who were directly involved in Tiger's losses last year.

But you knew that.

Oh, and this just in -- 60% of the top ten in world rankings aren't American.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Quick!

Without Googling, tell me Mantle's World Series career batting average.

Like I said, the World Series games are meaningless.

Yeah...whatever.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Isn't Tiger's record in the singles matches at Ryder Cups pretty good? I think he just hates playing with a partner.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:Quick!

Without Googling, tell me Mantle's World Series career batting average.

Like I said, the World Series games are meaningless.

Yeah...whatever.
When it comes to determining individual greatness, the World Series IS meaningless. Barry Bonds and Ted Williams come right to the front of the list of phenominal hitters who did not perform well in October.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

And you could say the same thing about Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing about how they didn't win the big ones either.

My point was that not many people are living encyclopedias who know every stat there is. I’ve played golf almost my whole life, since I was 7. I should be a lot damn better at it than I am.

I have been a fan of the game just as long. Ryder Cup has always been a great event for me to watch. I really get into it, and I enjoy seeing our pros get into it as well. I wish we had a better record in the Ryder Cup recently, but it wasn’t only Tiger’s fault we haven’t.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:And you could say the same thing about Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing about how they didn't win the big ones either.

My point was that not many people are living encyclopedias who know every stat there is. I’ve played golf almost my whole life, since I was 7. I should be a lot damn better at it than I am.

I have been a fan of the game just as long. Ryder Cup has always been a great event for me to watch. I really get into it, and I enjoy seeing our pros get into it as well. I wish we had a better record in the Ryder Cup recently, but it wasn’t only Tiger’s fault we haven’t.
My point was that anybody who knows anything about golf knows Jack won 18 majors and Snead won 82 Tour events. Those are the benchmarks of greatness in the PGA. Pointing out that Tiger has a substandard Ryder Cup record is like pointing out that Babe Ruth only batted .280 against lefthanders during rain delayed doubleheaders.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

This may seem like a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway:
In the award ceremony, last year's winner, Phil Mickelson, helped Tiger
get into the green jacket.
If Tiger wins The Masters again next year, does he have to do it all by himself? :P
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Funkywhiteboy wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway: In the award ceremony, last year's winner, Phil Mickelson, helped Tiger get into the green jacket. If Tiger wins The Masters again next year, does he have to do it all by himself? :P
I think Hootie handled the chore in 2002. I suspect he would do it again.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:I think Hootie handled the chore in 2002. I suspect he would do it again.
Correct
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

RadioFan wrote:Dude's probably the best who ever played ... however, cheering for him is sort of like cheering for Microsoft to do well in the IT industry, or hoping the Yankees have a shot of getting to the post-season.

I was hoping DiMarco would win today, but props to Woods.
Rack.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
3putt
Crack Whore

Post by 3putt »

BSmack wrote:Here's a few tidbits.
  • The scoring to par records in all four majors

* The Masters: -18 (270), 1997
    * US Open: -12 (272), 2000
    * The Open Championship: -19 (269), 2000
    * PGA Championship: -18 (270), 2000
  • The only golfer to ever hold all 4 professional majors at the same time.
  • The first golfer since Hogan to win 3 majors in a calender year.
  • Is 29 and already has more major wins than every other player but Nicklaus and Hagen. He is tied with Hogan and Player.
  • Broke Byron Nelson's ACTUAL scoring record in 2000. You know, the record Nelson set while winning 18 tournaments against fields depleted by WWII? Tiger also broke his own adjusted scoring record that year. He had broken Nelson's adjusted scoring record in 1999.
  • Already has seasons of 8 and 9 wins apiece. The best Nicklaus ever did was 7.
  • Is still ahead of Sam Snead's all time victories pace. With 43 wins, Tiger is just 1 behind Walter Hagen for 7th in all time wins. The nearest modern day competition are Lefty at 26 wins and Vijay at 25.
You left out one tidbit that I continue to find amazing -- 141 consecutive tournaments without missing a cut. That's 28 more than Byron Nelson's former all-time record.

Dude has missed (I think) ONE cut in his entire pro career, and (I think) withdrew from another one back in '98 or so because of weather delays or some crap like that. That means every week, without fail, he is out there keeping himself in contention in every event he enters. Right now there are only eight other PGA players who have made 10 or more consecutive cuts, and Stewart Cink is in second place behind Tiger with *cough* 20 *cough*.

We've been hearing for a few years how crummy Woods has been playing, but there's nobody else out there who plays every Sunday in every event he starts...even when he's having a "bad" week.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

3Putt posted.....everybody slam a beer.

Further evidence of what a class act Tiger is........have you ever once heard the guy bitch about, or blame his problems on his bum knee? Noi, you haven't, because he hasn't. Oddly enough, his game went "bad" the same time his knee went, yet he showed up for the early season, and STILL made the cuts.

Ever try to golf on an injured knee? I'll bet somebody here has.....and didn't score well.

Bad bad man.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

3putt wrote:You left out one tidbit that I continue to find amazing -- 141 consecutive tournaments without missing a cut. That's 28 more than Byron Nelson's former all-time record.

Dude has missed (I think) ONE cut in his entire pro career, and (I think) withdrew from another one back in '98 or so because of weather delays or some crap like that. That means every week, without fail, he is out there keeping himself in contention in every event he enters. Right now there are only eight other PGA players who have made 10 or more consecutive cuts, and Stewart Cink is in second place behind Tiger with *cough* 20 *cough*.

We've been hearing for a few years how crummy Woods has been playing, but there's nobody else out there who plays every Sunday in every event he starts...even when he's having a "bad" week.
Damn straight 3 Putt. I don't know what I was thinking of. Tiger's cut streak makes Cal Ripkin's consecutive game streak look like child's play. Hank Haney had something interesting to say about the cut streak in this month's Golf Digest.
The thing that amazes me the most about Tiger Woods is that he has absolutely no quit in him. None. Last year at Tiger's wedding I had a chance to talk to his father, and I asked him how he instilled that in Tiger. Earl traced it to a junior tournament played on Tiger's 13th birthday. Even then people knew who Tiger Woods was, and the gallery sang "Happy Birthday" to him on the first tee. Earl told me that Tiger proceeded to play poorly, and in full view of everyone he began pouting, whining and slapping the ball around the course. Earl said he had never really gotten on Tiger before, but on this day he took him into the snack bar after the round was over, locked the door and they had a little talk. He told Tiger that his behavior was a disgrace and reminded him that the game of golf didn't owe him anything, the golf course didn't owe him anything, and that he, Earl, sure didn't owe him anything. He told him that pouting and whining were just other forms of quitting. Earl said Tiger didn't talk to him on the flight home and gave him the silent treatment for two more days after that. On the third day Tiger came up and told his father, "Pop, I heard every word you said. I promise I'll never quit again," and he never has. Tiger has 42 career victories and more than a hundred top-10 finishes, but it's his record cut streak that is the biggest example of the fact that he never quits.

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/inde ... yshot.html

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:

Darren Clarke?
Just thought I'd bump this for æffect.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Dinsdale wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Darren Clarke?
Just thought I'd bump this for æffect.
ImageImageImageImage

How's this for æffect..
Clarke's wardrobe makes el's look bland in comparison.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dude could be one of my golf bud's twin brother. Except my bro would probably have a joint hanging out of his mouth while going under par, rather than the cigar.

And apparently Darren has said that if he's making a run at the Plaid Jacket, he'll make sure to wear something which will surely clash. Classic.