fuck warm weather schools getting to start seasons earlier

PING!

The Tourney has begun!

Moderators: Left Seater, Mr T

Screw_Michigan

fuck warm weather schools getting to start seasons earlier

Post by Screw_Michigan »

can anyone explain the rationale behind this, other than "because it gets warm earlier?" florida state has been playing games regularly since early February, they have played about 10 more games than a cold weather school like wmu. not to say wmu is competing with the big boys, but bullshit. why not let certain football programs start a month earlier or perhaps let d-1 bball programs start a month earlier?

talk about having the deck stacked against you.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

I totally agree. But, FSU started their season on January 28. Want to know what the weather is like here until about Mid March?

"Not Hot"....but certainly not as cold as the northern schools. On April 1st, the low here was 37, to give you an idea.

I have no idea how rectify the situation, but a lot of northern teams travel south for the first 10 to 15 games of the season, so at least they get their swings in.

And unlike football, baseball can not be played in all weathers, to state the obvious.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, but if you want to play baseball, don't go to Michigan.
If you want to play ice hockey, don't go to Arizona State.

Get the fuck over it, join reality.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mikey wrote:Sorry, but if you want to play baseball, don't go to Michigan.

RACK!!!
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

I was trying to be a bit "nicer" about it. :wink:

But remember, according to LK, I am insane.

I think his invisible friend told him that.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

i figured that would be the only defense of this system. to the warm weather schools go the spoils, i guess. :roll:

they don't let schools start hockey seasons earlier because of location.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Screw_Michigan wrote:

i figured that would be the only defense of this system. to the warm weather schools go the spoils, i guess. :roll:

they don't let schools start hockey seasons earlier because of location.
#1 Southern schools don't play hockey you dumbass. The school farthest south that I have even heard considering Hockey currently is Oklahoma and that is doubtful at best because you have to have a hockey specific arena at the NCAA DI level.

#2 if you think that playing 20 more games gives them any more advantage then you don't know or understand a damn thing about baseball, especially college ball. 20 more games is only twenty more games for good players to get hurt and injured. The southern teams will always be better than the Yankee clubs because kids who actually have talent don't want to play ball in the snow or 35 degree wind chill.

Quit your crying and go sulk in the damn corner.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

touche, scs. i knew i would get flamed for comparing baseball to hockey, i just wanted to get some discussion going.

i understand that's just the way it is, but if 20 extra games are "worthless" according to your take, why the hell do they play the games then? just for the fuck of it? to establish a little more credibility with the pros? i don't buy your take on all the players with talent going down south. i think it has more to do with climate and player development over time. they just play that much more baseball down south because they have weather permitting.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Screw_Michigan wrote:touche, scs. i knew i would get flamed for comparing baseball to hockey, i just wanted to get some discussion going.

i understand that's just the way it is, but if 20 extra games are "worthless" according to your take, why the hell do they play the games then? just for the fuck of it? to establish a little more credibility with the pros? i don't buy your take on all the players with talent going down south. i think it has more to do with climate and player development over time. they just play that much more baseball down south because they have weather permitting.
Damn fine way of restating what the fuck I just said.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

then why the fuck do they play the games then?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Screw_Michigan wrote:then why the fuck do they play the games then?
Because its fun damn it. :roll:

You know as well as I do why they play the games, because anything can happen. But look at the law of averages in the sport and what is done consitantly and you will see that Southern schools consitantly perform better than northern schools. You don't see some idiot in Georgia complaining about the Thrashers not being competitive or why Georgia Tech isn't in the Frozen Four? Jesus man know your role..
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

that's all i asked for, a simple answer. too bad it took you four posts to get past your southern baseball elitism.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Screw_Michigan wrote:that's all i asked for, a simple answer. too bad it took you four posts to get past your southern baseball elitism.
I'm an OU fan not a southern elitist. I just recognize that a baseball player would rather play in a warmer climate, hence further south, in our position if the globe.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

i'm not sure why he is crying???

it's not like any of the Florida teams have won anything lately in baseball, so that theory goes out the door!

and you do realize western mich fan, that the northern teams were playing in south against those so called advantaged teams early in season! :roll:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

yes, i know that like every other midwestern school, wmu starts its season on the road for two weeks somewhere warm. i'm not on a crusade at all to have all the schools start at the same time. i was just wondering the reasoning behind allowing certain schools to start earlier in the season, other than just "because it's warmer there."
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:yes, i know that like every other midwestern school, wmu starts its season on the road for two weeks somewhere warm. i'm not on a crusade at all to have all the schools start at the same time. i was just wondering the reasoning behind allowing certain schools to start earlier in the season, other than just "because it's warmer there."
Look at it this way. The warm climate schools aren't "allowed" to start earlier. They just choose to. I'm sure the northern schools would be "allowed" to start any time they want to, but they don't want to play in the cold weather. It's not a matter of being "allowed" to do anything.

Apparently if you had your way the southern schools should be "prohibited" from starting when they want to.
What are you, a fuckin' Commie?
Bode
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Bode »

This looks like a good place to take a big shit
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bode wrote:This looks like a good place to take a big shit
That would be just about any place for you, dawg.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Adelpiero wrote: it's not like any of the Florida teams have won anything lately in baseball, so that theory goes out the door!
Define "lately", you ass.

Year Winner Runner-up Score MOP
2004 Cal StFullerton Texas 3-2 Jason Windsor, rhp, Cal St Fullerton
2003 Rice Stanford 14-2 John Hudgins, p, Stanford
2002 Texas South Carolina 12-6 Huston Street, p, Texas
2001 Miami (Fla.) Stanford 12-1 Charlton Jimerson, cf, Miami
2000 LSU Stanford 6-5 Trey Hodges, p, LSU
1999 Miami (Fla.) Florida St. 6-5 Marshall McDougall, 2b, Fla. St.

Damn, yer dumb.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Define "lately".

:lol:
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Re: fuck warm weather schools getting to start seasons earli

Post by Mr T »

Screw_Michigan wrote: why not let certain football programs start a month earlier or perhaps let d-1 bball programs start a month earlier?
What the fuck does football and bball have to do with baseball?
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

You laid out the problem, so where is your suggestion to fix it?

By NCAA rule teams are limited to playing 56 games in the regular season, but there is no official start date to the season. So yes, southern teams can start the season earlier because their fields are not under snow.

The Big 11 seems to feel like you do and they want to change certain things. They have suggested starting the season no earlier than March 1st and practice can't start prior to Feb 1st. They would also like to push the CWS out three to four weeks. They have also suggested a non-championship fall season so that northern teams can play more games.

The problems with these changes are it will hurt attendance because of students being away from campus, families on vacation, at camps, etc. Not to mention that fans may not want to sit out in 110 degree weather to watch baseball. Changing the season like this would also put an end to things like the cape cod league and the Alaskan league.

Weather doesn't only affect the Northern schools. If you look at the schedule of Texas or RICE or other southern schools you will often see more than 56 games on their schedule when it is released. This is because so many games are rained out.

I would support the season starting around Feb 15th, but no later. The CWS shouldn't be played in July. Northern teams can continue to go play in tourneys at Disney early in the season, which can be a recruiting tool in itself. Plus they could have large regional tourneys using indoor facilities like the Metrodome, etc.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

e wrote: how's florida state's ice fishing team doing this season?
Lacking due to poor recruting but our curling team is lighting it up.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

that's why i started this thread. i have no real solution to the problem, i was just thinking about it on friday and i knew you guys know a lot more about college baseball than i do. my extent of college baseball goes as far as the broncos and i only know a handful of names on the team. i just like going to the games. but thanks for the flames. :)

mikey, now that you put it that way, i agree. and in response to "are you a commie?" i say

Why do you hate America?

LS, thanks for the insight.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Really, I don't hate America.

Mostly I just hate the Dodgers.

:mrgreen:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Yes, it's that simple: "go play where it's warm".

I didn't know players had the luxury of recruiting and awarding scholarships to themselves.