Opakapaka

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Opakapaka

Post by Mikey »

Anybody have experience grilling this Hawaiian pink snapper?

I picked up a couple of nice fillets from the fish monger at the farmers market and am figuring out how I'll cook it. They were giving out samples of "john dory" that they had sauteed in a pan with yellow peppers, onions, garlic and these preserved Moroccan limes that they also sell. That stuff was really good...the limes give it a combination of sweet/sour that was unusual.

Usually I like to grill fish right on the grate minimally seasoned with some EVOO, salt, pepper and garlic (or lemon pepper or some Santa Maria tri-top seasoning). I'm not sure if these will hold up well on the grill or not and I want to try and incorporate some of the limes (I bought a small jar). I'm thinking of doing the foil thing for a sort of steam/bake method. Wrap them in the foil with some of the limes and seasonings for 10 minutes or so of steam and then open it up for a little baking and hopefully carmelize the limes a little bit. Well see...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Opakapaka

Post by indyfrisco »

Hmm...I thought this may be a thread on a new nickname for the head asswipe in charge.

Anyhow, I got one of these:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... cm_src=RCP

great for cooking fish on the grill, especially since I have pretty wide grates. Does both firm and delicate fish easily and allows you to cook with a wide range of veggies as well.

As for opakapaka, I've never cooked the Hawaiian version, but since it is a red snapper (which I've cooked many of), a pecan crust would be very good if you want to pan fry them. I usually use what I have handy, but here's something I dug up that's about what I have used on red snapper.
Ingredients
1 scallions 1/2 cup pecans 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs 1/4 cup flour 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1 eggs 1 tablespoon milk 4 opakapaka fillets ( red snapper) 2 tablespoons oil Directions
Mix flour, salt and pepper.
Mix milk and egg.
Mince scallions and pecans and mix with crumbs.
All three of these mixtures should be on separate flat dishes.
Dip each fillet in flour mixture, then in milk mixture, then in pecan mixture.
Heat oil.
Cook fillets 3 minutes, or until golden.
Turn carefully and cook 3 minutes on the other side.

Directions
Mix flour, salt and pepper.
Mix milk and egg.
Mince scallions and pecans and mix with crumbs.
All three of these mixtures should be on separate flat dishes.
Dip each fillet in flour mixture, then in milk mixture, then in pecan mixture.
Heat oil.
Cook fillets 3 minutes, or until golden.
Turn carefully and cook 3 minutes on the other side.
[sig material]I also heavily enjoy blackened snapper.[/sig material] Here's a basic recipe. I think premixed blackened seasoning works fine, but I like to add a little extra cayenne to it when I use it. Using a mesh pan like I posted above, I'd also throw some blackened shrimp an the barbie as well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutesYield: Serves 4
Ingredients:
•2 red snapper fillets, halved
•1/2 cup margarine or butter
•2 tablespoons lemon juice
•1 tablespoon parsley, minced
•1 teaspoon paprika
•1/8 teaspoon cayenne
•1/8 teaspoon salt
•1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
•1/8 teaspoon thyme
•1/8 teaspoon onion salt
•1/8 teaspoon oregano
•dash of black pepper
Preparation:
Mix together paprika, cayenne, salt, garlic salt, onion salt, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Sprinkle over each side of the red snapper. Oil grill grate and preheat. Bring lemon juice to a boil. Remove from heat and add margarine. Mix well. Grill red snapper until done. About 4 minutes per side. Remove fish from grill. Add parsley to lemon butter. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter mixture over each piece of fish and serve.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...