Big Green Egg

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Big Green Egg

Post by R-Jack »

Anybody have one or these bad boys or know someone who does?

I'm kicking tires on a new smoker and grill. I am settling in on either this or the Oklahoma Joes offset they started selling at Home Depot.

Just want to know if it's worth the hype, and the $.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Big Green Egg

Post by Mikey »

I've heard that those are great smokers, but can they double as grills?

The Char Griller offset unit that I have has a large cooking surface and can be used easily for smoking, and direct or indirect grilling. I probably use it for indirect grilling using charcoal and wood (for tri-tips) more than anything else.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:I've heard that those are great smokers, but can they double as grills?
Yes, but are they worth the outrageous price tag?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:I've heard that those are great smokers, but can they double as grills?
Yes, but are they worth the outrageous price tag?
My answer would be no. I do not have one, but my best friend does. It does its job, but for the price, you can get a helluva nice offset smoker. Of course, if you are short on space then the big green egg can work for you. Personally, I like being able to smoke 3 briskets at once with my offset.

And someday (hopefully soon), this will be mine where I can smoke damn near anything and however much I want at once. I plan to cater and do competition cooking on the side.

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not terribly familiar with the Green Egg.

Looks like an ultra-delux version of the ECB.

So, I (dude who tries to fire up the ECB at least once a week, so at least I've advanced beyond "neophyte") would say that if there's any sort of major price tag on the egg thingy, either save your money and drop $50-60 on the ECB, or get an offset (which I'll do one of these days).

The problem with the small uprights is it's a little harder to control the temp -- not a major issue, but an offset is more consistant -- at the cost of consuming more fuel, but big freaking deal.

Although, I'll give props to the upright models for portability and transportability.

And I've come to a conclusion -- there are no bad smokers -- some are just cooler than others. The ECB is the cheapest thing you can get (mine was given to me, and it's ideal for where I'm using it), and it's pretty damn cool and functional. And they just get better from there. Comes down to how much dough you drop, really.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Dinsdale wrote:Not terribly familiar with the Green Egg.
Allow me to :dins: you on the Green Egg
There is a Big Green Egg to fit everyone's outdoor cooking needs with five sizes ranging from Mini to Extra Large. You can use the Big Green Egg® year-round in all climates, even in freezing temperatures or during pouring rain. You will find it more versatile than any outdoor cooking appliance on the market, whether comparing it to gas, electric or another charcoal grill, because the EGG is a smoker, a grill and an oven all rolled into one. Here are some of the reasons current owners love their EGG. It's A Complete Outdoor Cooker The Big Green Egg has unparalleled cooking flexibility. You can grill steaks and chops to the perfect degree of doneness, cooking at temperatures up to 750 degrees F for steakhouse searing. But if fallin'-off-the-bone ribs or a tasty, juicy brisket is on your menu, the EGG will maintain a low temperature of 200 to 250 degrees F for the low-and-slow smoke cooking that develops wonderful flavor while tenderizing the meat. Whether searing or slow cooking, prepare the entire meal on the grill by adding any of your favorite vegetables to the cooking grid. If you're longing for cornbread, biscuits, a freshly baked loaf of bread or even a warm pie or cobbler to complete your meal, the EGG bakes better than a brick oven.

The simple secret to temperature control is the easily adjustable dampers that let you maintain accuracy within a few degrees. The exterior temperature gauge gives precise temperature readings of the cooker's internal temperature. Awesome Results Big Green Egg The EGG retains moisture in foods and releases flavor unequalled by other types of cooking, indoors or outdoors, thanks to the space-age ceramics from which the cooker is made. Foods don't dry out and meat undergoes little or no shrinkage. Foods will have a natural and wholesome quality and there are no metallic or chemical tastes. The ceramic surface doesn't get as hot as a metal cooker, also making the EGG safer to use.

Easy to Start The Big Green Egg reaches cooking temperature and is ready to use in approximately 10 minutes. The inventive design of the EGG draws air into the lower draft door, through the charcoal, and out of the damper top. We recommend using natural lump charcoal, which lights quickly, and by using a natural fire starter, or an electric lighter, no lighter fluid is ever needed! Easy Clean Up Burning natural lump charcoal results in less ash than burning briquettes, thus less frequent ash clean out is required.

The Big Green Egg exterior has a lifetime glaze that maintains its good looks and easily wipes clean with a damp cloth. Inside, the heat burns off any grease build-up - like a self-cleaning oven.

With all the accessories like stands and shelves, I'll be looking at around $1000 for it. I could probably find a cheaper ceramic kamado cooker, but I'd worry about it cracking over time.

This would be option B

1000+ inches of cooking space. 1/4 inch steel. 290 lbs. About $850.

I don't think I can go wrong with either one in the "envy of the neighborhood" department, nor will I have to replace either of these in a couple of years. I got a few weeks to wait for my bonus checks to come through. I just wish there was a way to "test drive" things like this.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I assume a Big Green Egg is exceptionally good at cooking a Big Ham...

Sam I am.

I feel the need to smoke up some meat all of a sudden.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Update.

I stopped by my local Home Depot for some other shit and I saw the Okalhoma Joes smoker in the flesh. Big ass cooking area. Huge firebox. Actually the firebox is big enough to double as a grill too. The pull out ash catcher is a really nice touch. The only drawback was the porcelain grates as opposed to cast iron, but I'm sure I can find a replacement somewhere.

The kicker is the in store price is only $499 regular. I didn't bother to ask any of the saggy pant closet trannies working there why the sam item is amlost $400 more on the website. All I know is I have made my choice. Offset it is.

Super Bowl party at R-Jack's
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WELL?
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Dinsdale wrote:WELL?
Well............I got a litlle time motherfucker. Chill.

Once my holiday bonus check get in my hand, I'll be heading out to pick up that Oklahoma Joes. I went to my local Barbeques Galore (where I have a $250 gift card) to check out the BGE one more time. I like everything about it, except the fact that you have to remove all the food from the cooker and the grill to add coal. It seems counterproductive to that whole "consistent even heat" that you get from a ceramic cooker. I think I'll just go with the giant steel drums instead.

At least I'll save enough scratch to pick up a decent grill for the quick stuff.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

R-Jack wrote:At least I'll save enough scratch to pick up a decent grill for the quick stuff.
I think typically with a horizontal/side-by-side, you can put a grill over the firebox itself. Probably all the heat you need.

A friend has an ECB (POS electric, but since I gave it to him, I shouldn't insult it too much... I got it free). Next to that is a nice gas grill... but the tank has one of those tree-extender-thingies (I believe that's the technical term), which allow him to run a bigass Coleman camp double-burner off the tank, as well. Sounds hokey, but actually pretty convenient for making sides, boiling water, whatever. Got the whole outdoor cooking bench all lined up.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

The OKJoes has a grill over the firebox. There are some days I want to just flick on the ignition and be done with it. Weber gas grills handle that pretty well.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

UPDATE!

Just picked it up late this evening and put it right out on my shabby DIY patio. Brisket, Bacon Explosion and wings are on the menu for tomorrow.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Nice.

I hope it doesn't stay that clean for too long.