Theo Epstein hitting the crackpipe. Yet... Again.

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Theo Epstein hitting the crackpipe. Yet... Again.

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Let me get this straight. You overpay for Big Sloppy (1 yr 12 million :doh: ) but can't come up with the extra 8 million spread out over 4 years to retain V-Mart? They offered 4 years & 42 million. He signs with DeToilet for 4 years & 50 million.

:lol:

Buck and V-Mart have already signed. Who in the fuck is going to be catching for the Sux next year? Isn't Saltalamacchia Italian for "Oh shit, I am injured?" Maybe they can dust off Varitek and have him set the MLB record for most steals against?

After Beltre walks... this team will be a total fucking mess. But hey... it's not all bad, at least they'll still have Cameron and Drew patrolling the outfield.

I hear Derek Jeter is available. Woot.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Theo Epstein hitting the crackpipe. Yet... Again.

Post by Shoalzie »

What's stupid is this that the Tigers are signing V-Mart to be their starting catcher. I'm glad Laird is long gone and his sub-Mendoza BA and Avila isn't worthy of starting the majority of the games behind the plate but Martinez isn't a catcher capable of starting over 100 games behind the plate at his age and past injuries. They needed the bat though with Ordonez probably not being brought back. I definitely like the idea of him hitting behind the AL MVP runner-up for the next 4 years.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Congrats, Tiger Fan. Another season of top five payroll, only to miss the playoffs.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

weren't the sux supposed to have some yound stud catcher in the system? i seem to recall hearing this 2 years ago. is he ready yet or is he the injury dude you mentioned?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

yes. i am sure. no and no.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Are they going to sign Crawford or Werth?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

if they are smart, they won't sign either. werth is another JD Drew waiting to happen. his stats aren't even that good, considering the little bandbox he plays in.

crawford doesn't provide the middle of the order pop that he's commanding for a salary. i think people are confusing his fantasy status (steals :meds: ) with what he'll bring to your ballclub.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: his stats aren't even that good, considering the little bandbox he plays in.
I don't get the JD Drew reference only because with the exception of 1 major injury he suffered with the Dodgers, Werth is durable, puts up decent numbers across the board and is a stand-out defensively. I think by losing him the Phillies are going to have a significant hole in their offense and given the lack of right-handed power bats in this lineup, they just lost some protection for Howard.

Oh and the bandbox theory doesn't hold much water any more.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor
For the past 4 years the stadium hasn't ranked in the top 10.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

jiminphilly wrote:I don't get the JD Drew reference.
162 career game average of 25/85/.272... 32 years old next year.

That's almost exactly what the Sux were getting when they signed Drew back in 2007.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:I don't get the JD Drew reference.
162 career game average of 25/85/.272... 32 years old next year.

That's almost exactly what the Sux were getting when they signed Drew back in 2007.
Excluding playoffs:

When Drew was 32 he had already played in 960 games in 9 years.
Werth will have played in 775 over 8 years with the bulk of them coming in the past 3 years. He became the starter in 2008 and has averaged 150 games a year since then. Drew's career avg for games played is 114 .. with a high of 146 in 2006.

I don't think it's the same scenario. Werth had 1 major injury to recover from whereas Drew gets hurt walking up the dugout stairs. If the Sux sign him, your lineup just gained a very good RH power bat for the next 4 years. The issue, of course, is whether he gets the 6 years he's seeking.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Who the fuck is talking about injuries? I am talking about production averaged out over a 162 game season.

Werth is not the huge power you think he is. There's a reason he was platoon guy/late bloomer. He's a 25/85 guy, last year notwithstanding. His career batting avg is .272, last year notwithstanding. Big push (see also, juiced up) for a contract with a "whopping" 36 HR and 99 RBI. Yea.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Gonzalez finally dealt to the Red Sox

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... y=news_mlb

The angle to watch would be if Crawford is signed by the Red Sox, do they include Ellsbury in this deal as "player to be named later"? I'm hoping the Tigers can land Jason Werth to be their RF. If the Sox can sign Crawford, that would leave Werth out there for either the Phillies or the Tigers.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

As a Padre fan I hate to see Gonzalez go but you knew it had to happen eventually. I wish him nothing but the best in Boston and I think he will thrive in Fenway. With Fenway's configuration I wouldn't be surprised if he hits .320+ with 40+ HR and 120 RBIs next season. And you guys are going to love his attitude and defensive skillz.

From the Padres' perspective, it seems like they came away with most of your top young prospects. Something they've done well recently is develop young talent into at team that's good enough to at least contend. It will be interesting to watch.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The deal is off for now...a contract extension for Gonzalez could not be reached.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

The surprise of the day...the Nationals throw huge dough at Jason Werth

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bad deal for the Nats. Not a surprise.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

The Sux have been talking about Gonzalez for the last 2 years (after cheaping out on Teixeira) like he's a player in their farm they were just waiting to bring up. This is quite possibly the least surprising trade in the history of organized sports.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Red Sox sign Crawford

Inevitably, for more money than what Werth got from Washington.
Boston now has a projected lineup that could look something like this on Opening Day: Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Carl Crawford LF, Adrian Gonzalez 1B, Kevin Youkilis 3B, David Ortiz DH, J.D. Drew RF, Jarrod Saltalamacchia/Jason Varitek C, Marco Scutaro SS.
That's assuming Ellsbury stays healthy...gotta like the 1-5 in that batting order.

This move seems to make it more of sure thing that the Yankees will stop at nothing to sign Cliff Lee. No way do they go this offseason and let Boston add Gonzalez and Crawford and they don't add something themselves. Gotta love it when the two evil empires get into a sword swinging contest.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

This signing opens the door for that little fucking pussy, Ellsbury, to be traded for a middle reliever. Check back in next month for confirmation.

Crawford will be beating lead-off, whether he likes it or not.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Shoalzie wrote:Red Sox sign Crawford
Boston now has a projected lineup that could look something like this on Opening Day: Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Carl Crawford LF, Adrian Gonzalez 1B, Kevin Youkilis 3B, David Ortiz DH, J.D. Drew RF, Jarrod Saltalamacchia/Jason Varitek C, Marco Scutaro SS.
Ballgame. Then you look at the rotation of Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Bucholtz, and Dice-K and you have every AL team shitting bricks. Nice knowing you. BoSox just added another title. So much for hitting the crackpipe huh?