So I'm in Bahston...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

So I'm in Bahston...

Post by indyfrisco »

well, Chelmsford/Lowell actually. Gonna be here til Friday and wondering what the hell there is to do up here. Any ideas on places to eat? I got in at 10 PM last night so I went to the Outback Steakhouse just down the street. Hey, it was that, Chilis or 99 (TGiF type place) so I hit the Outback. Have't been there in awhile. Ahi tuna was good. Ribeye was so-so. Loaded fries were good grub. Ate at the bar surrounded by Pts fans.

So, any must eat places in the area?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: So I'm in Bahston...

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:well, Chelmsford/Lowell actually. Gonna be here til Friday and wondering what the hell there is to do up here. Any ideas on places to eat? I got in at 10 PM last night so I went to the Outback Steakhouse just down the street. Hey, it was that, Chilis or 99 (TGiF type place) so I hit the Outback. Have't been there in awhile. Ahi tuna was good. Ribeye was so-so. Loaded fries were good grub. Ate at the bar surrounded by Pts fans.

So, any must eat places in the area?
If you want something REALLY authentic, go to Cheers at Faneuil Hall and have the Norm Burger. Real old-time Boston stuff there.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I got a long time consultant I've used who lives here in the northern burbs who is taking me downtown Thursday night. It's about 30 minutes away. Not knowing the area, I'm sticking to the burbs until then. It did cross my mind though to ask him if we could hit the original Cheers bar.

I'm lookin for some good italian fare here though. I want me some good ole Ossobucco. Had the best Ossobucco in my life in Vegas. There's gotta be a good place for it here.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

take a stroll thru the combat zone
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Ah, the combat zone. Is that still there?
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

combat zone is long gone.

head to the north end. pretty much any italian joint there should be good. there is a bakery there, i think it was called mike's that is famous (and rightfully so) for their canolis (sp). We went to bean town for the day last spring and the place had a line down the street for the fukking things.

ucunt lives in the area, maybe he can show you around and maybe flex his monster guns for ya.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

smackaholic wrote: ucunt lives in the area, maybe he can show you around and maybe flex his monster guns for ya.

Sincerely,

KC Scott
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

IndyFrisco wrote:So, any must eat places in the area?

Are you willing to travel 20 miles to Boston? If so, hit up Davios. Then Mike's for dessert as smackaholic suggested.

You aren't staying at the Courtyard Marriot are you? I am trying to think of non-shit bag hotels in the Lowell/Chelmsford area and not many others are coming to mind. :lol:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Boston?

Nobody I know would ever think of going to Boston unless they were forced to. What's there to do in that shithole, skulk around looking for clam chowder joints?

Boston culture = trying not to get mugged while leaving the pron bookstore.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

KC tard runnin' culture smack on beantown?

that's fukkin' rich, right there.

there's more culture and history in bahston then there is in the entire midwest.

it is a very compact city. if the weather's nice it is one of the nicest cities in the country to walk around and enjoy the sites. Definitely hit up the USS Constitution. Great tour and the price is right (free).

the immensity of bodeness boston has over KC in all areas other than bar-b-que is just laughable.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

IndyFrisco wrote:Ahi tuna was good. Ribeye was so-so. Loaded fries were good grub.
how much do you weigh?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: if the weather's nice
:lol: :lol:

The few times I've been there it's either been 90 degrees and 90% humidity or somewhere close to Siberia.

We did the "freedom trail" a couple of summers ago starting at Boston Common and, at the end, I swear to God and g0d we had to navigate fields of prostrated bodies to get to the top of Bunker Hill.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Mikey wrote: The few times I've been there it's either been 90 degrees and 90% humidity or somewhere close to Siberia..
Yeah, you've been there allrght
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

KC Scott wrote:
smackaholic wrote:KC

there's more culture and history in bahston then there is in the entire midwest.

EAD fat fuck.

I'm in Columbus tonight and they sponsor the annnual Victoria Secret fashion show.

You want culture?

That's fucking culture

8)
Says the dude posting on his laptop from his hotel room :meds:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:

Are you willing to travel 20 miles to Boston? If so, hit up Davios. Then Mike's for dessert as smackaholic suggested.

You aren't staying at the Courtyard Marriot are you? I am trying to think of non-shit bag hotels in the Lowell/Chelmsford area and not many others are coming to mind. :lol:
Thanks for the tip. I'm headed down o Boston Thursda and I'll hit up Davios and Mike's.

Yeah, staying at the Courtyard. Not a 5 star, but I tend to stay at 3-3.5 star hotels when I travel for business. Hotels for non-vaction travel is one area I skimp even though I'm not the one paying for it. Guess my work ethic is a lot like my political views; I don't expect other people, such as other people in my company who benefit from company performance, to pay for my comfort. And before anyone cracks me on a $40 meal, I only submit a max of $20 for reimbursement for any meal. Just because I limit what I charge to the company, I'm still going to eat well as I would if Iweren't on business.

Mclub,

My pic's been posted here plenty of times. I'm not a fatass. I do enjoy good hearty comfort food when I go out to eat, but I don't eat out often. I prefer to cook my own food, but when someone else is going to cook it for me, I get god grub, or at least I try to. I tend to also leave a half plate of food when I am done. I can't eat a lot in one sitting.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

IndyFrisco wrote: Mclub,

My pic's been posted here plenty of times. I'm not a fatass. I do enjoy good hearty comfort food when I go out to eat, but I don't eat out often. I prefer to cook my own food, but when someone else is going to cook it for me, I get god grub, or at least I try to. I tend to also leave a half plate of food when I am done. I can't eat a lot in one sitting.
ja, i know. was just commenting on damn, that's a lot of food. should have also thrown in one of these: :shock:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:Yeah, staying at the Courtyard.
In!!

Sin

KC Scott
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

IndyFrisco wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I'm headed down o Boston Thursda and I'll hit up Davios and Mike's.

Yeah, staying at the Courtyard. Not a 5 star, but I tend to stay at 3-3.5 star hotels when I travel for business. Hotels for non-vaction travel is one area I skimp even though I'm not the one paying for it. Guess my work ethic is a lot like my political views; I don't expect other people, such as other people in my company who benefit from company performance, to pay for my comfort. And before anyone cracks me on a $40 meal, I only submit a max of $20 for reimbursement for any meal. Just because I limit what I charge to the company, I'm still going to eat well as I would if Iweren't on business.

Mclub,

Davios is not in your budget then. My favorite Italian place in the North End is called Al Dente. Try the Veal Valentino. You will not be disappointed.
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Neely8 wrote:Davios is not in your budget then. My favorite Italian place in the North End is called Al Dente. Try the Veal Valentino. You will not be disappointed.
I don't have much of a budget per se. I dropped $90 on dinner/drinks/tip last month when I went to Dallas at Fogo de Chao. My best friend still lives there and I went out one evening with him and his wife (yes, they also brought the 1 year old baby to Fogo :meds:). I just only submit $20 to my company for reimbursement and cover the rest myself. Like I said, I don't eat out often, but when I do I eat well.

So yeah, Davios is in my budget. Checked out their menu online and it looks just like what I'm looking for.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Neely8 wrote:Davios is not in your budget then.
Do you really think some dude with 16 TVs in his house can't afford Davios? Read his post again. He said he'd only expense out $20. He never said he'd only have a $20 meal.

Al Dente? Meh...

One thing though, IF. Davios is nowhere near the North End and Mike's. You could probably walk it in 20 minutes though...
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Do you really think some dude with 16 TVs in his house can't afford Davios? Read his post again. He said he'd only expense out $20. He never said he'd only have a $20 meal.

Al Dente? Meh...

One thing though, IF. Davios is nowhere near the North End and Mike's. You could probably walk it in 20 minutes though...

I did misread then. I was thinking $20.00 dinner.

Al Dente is a nice little family place. Reasonable prices and the food was really good. Have you tried it?
New England Patriots

Boston Red Sox

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Did you park the car in the Harvard yard?
Be sure to tune your radio to WMEX and listen to Arnie Woo-Woo Ginsburg on your way over to the Adventure Car Hop in Saugus for a burger.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Neely8 wrote:Have you tried it?

Yes, it's a little (and I mean, really little) shithole on Salem St. And as stated above... meh.

Giorgio's (across the street from said shithole) is much better. But to each his own. Right?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

smackaholic wrote:there's more culture and history in bahston then there is in the entire midwest.
I'm from the midwest, never spent a second in Boston, and would agree with this assessment.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Wolfman wrote:Did you park the car in the Harvard yard?
Die. Just... die.

Wolfman wrote:be sure to tune your radio to WMEX and listen to Arnie Woo-Woo Ginsburg on your way over to the Adventure Car Hop in Saugus for a burger.
Alzheimer's must really suck. First the Combat Zone reference (not relevant for 20 years.) Now this.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Al Dente? Meh...

that's the nice thing about boston. it's total area is about an acre, maybe acre and a half. pretty sure indy's yard is bigger than boston and that's not even including his drainage ditch.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Neely8 wrote:Have you tried it?

Yes, it's a little (and I mean, really little) shithole on Salem St. And as stated above... meh.

Giorgio's (across the street from said shithole) is much better. But to each his own. Right?

Ill have to give Giorgio's a shot. To each their own is right. I have been to Al Dente twice and both times I got the Veal Valentino. It was really quite good. The rest of the menu might be "meh", but that one dish is pretty awesome. It is:

Veal Valentino 21.95
Veal stuffed with prosciutto, roasted red pepper, mozzarella cheese and garlic, rolled, breaded and panfried, served in a white wine mushroom pink sauce and roasted red pepper risotto.

Damn good stuff, but to each their own.....
New England Patriots

Boston Red Sox

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I guess there's nothing wrong with my memory. You should live so long.

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

If your memory is so great, how come you haven't changed your adult diaper this week?
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

Wolfman wrote:Did you park the car in the Harvard yard?
Die. Just... die.

Wolfman wrote:be sure to tune your radio to WMEX and listen to Arnie Woo-Woo Ginsburg on your way over to the Adventure Car Hop in Saugus for a burger.
Alzheimer's must really suck. First the Combat Zone reference (not relevant for 20 years.) Now this.
What a punk you are. Try to get out of the dorm more, and maybe get a girl you one dimensional narcissist. Yer prolly a 120 pound pimple face skinny white boy junior at community college. Grow the fuck up.

Jesus.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:If your memory is so great, how come you haven't changed your adult diaper this week?
He's still trying to figure out who shit in his pants
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Imus wrote:What a punk you are. Try to get out of the dorm more, and maybe get a girl you one dimensional narcissist. Yer prolly a 120 pound pimple face skinny white boy junior at community college. Grow the fuck up.

Jesus.
paging KC scott.

KC scott, please pick up the white courtesy phone.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Imus wrote:Yer prolly a 120 pound pimple face skinny white boy junior at community college. Grow the fuck up.

Jesus.
TESTIFY, KC Scott!!!
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Imus wrote:What a punk you are.

Yeah. I could be calling people out using one of the worst shits troll to ever disgrace this forum. Then I would be cool like you. :lol: Until then...
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Likes me some Boston. Seeing the Murphy’s in Beantown on a St. Pat’s weekend is definitely on my Bucket List.

Spent some time out there in ’86 back when the Royals were respectable and caught a weekend series against the Sox in Fenway. Bo Jackson was at the height of his two-sport majesty, and his performance most certainly did not disappoint, much to the delight and the derision of the locals. I especially enjoyed their “Get a job, Bo-oh, get a job!” catcalls every time he stepped to the plate.

Absolutely incredible baseball fans. Wade Boggs was a GOD to every little kid under the age of ten, and I saw Sabes (Bret Saberhagen) and the Rocket completely mobbed for autographs as they strolled away from the park together following a Saturday afternoon matinee. What a terrific town to watch a ball game in.

Was about to suggest that Indy to hit the No Name, but after reading the Web reviews, I see that it is still hit-or-miss. And a tourist trap icon. Whatevah. For a kid from the Flyover, the seafood that night was off the hook – but I DID have to track down my waiter for my Sam Adams after he disappeared with my $20 for a short eternity. Turns out, the place didn’t have a liquor license and the Portuguese bastard had to go next door to a bar to procure a couple of cold ones. Is that still the case?

Lotta talent strolling the quad at Faneuil Hall as well. Had the occasion to chat up a couple of the local sweeties, who were apparently taken with my accent. “Are you from South Carolina?” one of them asked.

I laughed. “We don’t have an accent – YOU do!” I pointed out.

Good town. Toll roads took an adjustment – we don’t have many here, and the ones we do have are an easy detour. We spent an hour crawling around downtown before a pitying cop pointed out that the Interstate ran under the frickin’ city… a concept completely alien to the Flyover.

I suppose if I had a bitch on Boston, I’d figure it would do you all well to import a few roofers and gardeners to open up a taqueria-or-seven. Course, a quarter century has probably changed the demographic a bit, but for one who grew up on a weekly dose of chipotles y frijoles, Chowdville came up severely short. And I’ll leave barbecue out of the discussion. I’m sure you’d find the lobster and scallops sorely lacking in these parts as well.

Still, can’t wait to get back there again someday….
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

I spent four weeks there, it's smaller than you'd think, you can walk it. I worked across from a massive church with protesters and gay priests.
The Sam Adams pub is good.
Cheers is shit. I lit a cigarette, they told me to put it out and I started laughing so they threw me out.
The 'T' seemed very clean and efficient.
The traffic lights change every ten seconds, it's confusing.
You can watch your car on television in the black district bars and see that no one's stealing it.
Heaven fell to earth in the form of popcorn shrimp and steak bombs.
People like baseball.

B+
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

If you're mad about the traffic lights comment, I'll take it back.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dr_Phibes wrote:If you're mad about the traffic lights comment, I'll take it back.
:lol:
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Truman----Nothing has changed here. I long for great homemade Mexican food and it is severely lacking in this area. UCan't might know some places that I don't, but they are few and far between.

BBQ is not too common either. I think Red Bones in the city is pretty good. Firefly is crap except for their fried pickles.

The best homemade grub I have found in the city is a place called Mrs. Jones. Nice old southern couple from MS. Homemade soul food straight from the south. Ribs, chicken, cornbread, mac & cheese, and all the usual fixins. Sunday is fried turkey day. Oh and if you order the Red Velvet cake they give you like 1/4 of the cake. It is ridiculous......
New England Patriots

Boston Red Sox

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Neely8 wrote:BBQ is not too common either. I think Red Bones in the city is pretty good. Firefly is crap except for their fried pickles.

The best homemade grub I have found in the city is a place called Mrs. Jones. Nice old southern couple from MS. Homemade soul food straight from the south. Ribs, chicken, cornbread, mac & cheese, and all the usual fixins. Sunday is fried turkey day. Oh and if you order the Red Velvet cake they give you like 1/4 of the cake. It is ridiculous......
Yeah, KC tard does have bode on new england when it comes to 'que. And i do miss good soulfood like I could get when i lived in nashville. i think there are places in the ghetto in the northeast that make good soulfood, but, it ain't worth getting shot or car jacked. south windsor actually does have a good 'que place. it's actually more of a tex-mex joint joint owned by a local dude who got a taste for that sort of stuff when he lived in houston for 20 years. it's called little taste of teeehas. if you are ever in this area, get the buffalo chili. it is outstanding.

overall, i will take the northeast, culinary wise over other areas because we have good italian. and lets face it, italian, overall is the best food on the planet. if you had to pic one ethnic food group to live on the rest of your life, would it be messican? i doubt it. not that good authentic messican made buy some illegal little old messican lady isn't damn good.