U&L -- BODE be unto it

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Dinsdale
Lord Google

U&L -- BODE be unto it

Post by Dinsdale »

http://courses.golf.com/top-courses-and ... -2010.html

Although I've never actually played any of them, so it's BODE-in-vain.

4 of the top 15 are the 4 courses at Bandon.

Some better accomodations, and it's got "next round of US Open sites" written all over it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Re: U&L -- BODE be unto it

Post by Felix »

the Bandon trip with my buds is on for Sept 22-26-needless to say, I'm pretty stoked-spendy trip but I'm pretty sure it will be worth every cent

too bad my game sucks monkey testes right now-but tomorrow is always another day
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Very pretty area to hang out in, off the course.

While Coos Bay ain't the Riviera, the bayfront is cool, and there's shit to do.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just out of curiosity -- you driving or flying?

Hell of a drive from Boise. Heck, it's 5 hours from here, and my map seems to suggest Portland is much closer to Bandon than Boise is.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

we’re driving….the plan is to take off early Wednesday morning and we’ve rented a condo for wednesday night at sun river….we’ve got a tee time at crosswater at 1:30 wednesday afternoon (getting a tee time at crosswater is a whole nuther story, but we got it)….take off early thursday and plan on getting to bandon sometime around noon….we have just enough time to get our stuff to the rooms, and we’re scheduled to tee off on bandon trail about 2 pm…..friday we’re scheduled to play bandon dunes around 10 in the morning, and if we have enough time and they have room, we may try for a reround Friday afternoon….saturday we’re playing pacific dunes (best for last and all) and definitely plan on a reround if they can get us back on (my bud made the reservations and apparently bandon is a little iffy on the whole reround dealio)…..take off early sunday morning and drive straight back…that’s the portion of the trip i’m really dreading….but I’m pretty sure it will be worth it…..this is one of my dream golf vaca’s
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Felix wrote:we’re driving….the plan is to take off early Wednesday morning and we’ve rented a condo for wednesday night at sun river….we’ve got a tee time at crosswater at 1:30 wednesday afternoon (getting a tee time at crosswater is a whole nuther story, but we got it)….take off early thursday and plan on getting to bandon sometime around noon….we have just enough time to get our stuff to the rooms, and we’re scheduled to tee off on bandon trail about 2 pm…..friday we’re scheduled to play bandon dunes around 10 in the morning, and if we have enough time and they have room, we may try for a reround Friday afternoon….saturday we’re playing pacific dunes (best for last and all) and definitely plan on a reround if they can get us back on (my bud made the reservations and apparently bandon is a little iffy on the whole reround dealio)…..take off early sunday morning and drive straight back…that’s the portion of the trip i’m really dreading….but I’m pretty sure it will be worth it…..this is one of my dream golf vaca’s
You’ll have a blast there, felix.
I’ve been fortunate enough to play 3 rounds there- 2 at Bandon and one at Pacific. The entire place breathes golf. Obviously, you never know what mother nature will have in store for you on the Oregon coast… so bring clothes for every weather type. When I played (in August two years ago), my caddie said that it was a top five weather day for Bandon.

I was definitely the proverbial little fish in a big pond when I went by myself. Waiting outside the Bandon Dunes pro shop for my caddie I overhear four or five guys talking by me. One says to the other, “Is there room for Don in your plane?” Then I get paired with a threesome- one ran the Buick Invitational, another was a surgeon, and the last was a different doctor of some sort.

Have fun and hope you get a good caddie.

Btw, the only other course I’ve played that’s on the top 100 Dins posted is Pine Barrens at World Woods. I’ve probably played a dozen rounds there and it deserves all the accolades.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote:we’ve got a tee time at crosswater at 1:30 wednesday afternoon

Also on the Top 100 list-btw.

The Tradition starts there this coming week... maybe for the last time, since Jeld Wen yanked their sponsorship.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Felix, you might be interested in this… ‘Golf in America’, a weekly show on the Golf Channel will be featuring Bandon Dunes courses this coming Tuesday at 9PM.
Alan Shipnuck (sp?), SI’s golf writer will be attempting to play all four Bandon Dunes courses in one day. Doesn’t suck to be a golf journalist sometimes, I guess. Anyway, give it a look to get a taste of the experience. I’ll watch it just for the fond memories of the gorse I found myself in a bit too often.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-in-america/
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Ken wrote: Alan Shipnuck (sp?), SI’s golf writer will be attempting to play all four Bandon Dunes courses in one day. Doesn’t suck to be a golf journalist sometimes, I guess.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-in-america/
It would never suck to be a golf writer if it will get you access to courses not typically accessible to the general public.....teeing it up at places like Winged Foot or Cypress Point wouldn't suck at all

thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be tuned in
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Find the course where the wind is harsh,blowing hard and never lets up and keep driving into it until you get your drive right..

Played 2 of the courses before they were even open to the public back in the day...

Web cam here http://www.bandon.tv/alternateview.html

ftp://ftp.blm.gov/blmincoming/webcams/OR/wx.htm

http://www.bandon.com/

You guys are hard core on that drive...Bandon Dunes is the reason North Bend airport got major cash work done to handle the jets and other aircraft coming in there.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Derron wrote: You guys are hard core on that drive...Bandon Dunes is the reason North Bend airport got major cash work done to handle the jets and other aircraft coming in there.
unfortunately, my private jet is being serviced that week
the drive over won't be bad, splitting it up and all
the drive back will be murderous

btw, I won my flight in the labor day three day medal play tournament
shot 76, 79 (in howling 20-30 mph winds), 77
they let the course dry out and you couldn't hold a green with a 56 degree wedge...it's horseshit when scores are determined by your ability to bounce the ball into the green :(
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:77 they let the course dry out and you couldn't hold a green with a 56 degree wedge...it's horseshit when scores are determined by your ability to bounce the ball into the green :(
Bullshit,

sin

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Felix wrote:
they let the course dry out and you couldn't hold a green with a 56 degree wedge...it's horseshit when scores are determined by your ability to bounce the ball into the green :(
Back in my turf equipment days, a superintendent called me and wanted to demo out the new green rollers for an upcoming club tournament. So I take the greens rollers up there a few days before, and we go try them out. Stimp before and after and got from a 11 to almost 12.5 in one pass..not bad :twisted: :twisted:

So I tell him..you want to fuck with all these old guys on that tournament ?? He says hell yeah...So I tell him to double cut the green and then double roll them..pick about 6 of the greens to do that to scattered about the course...and do it the morning of the tournament so the old fucks do not know what is coming.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

So he does...backed off the water the night before as well..and those old boys could not stick a chip if they had to, and were blowing the putts 10 feet past the hole and since they had been practicing on 11 stimp greens, they had not a fucking clue what was going on, the scores went through the sky and they bitched at the super..whom the week before they told to speed up the greens..fuck them... :twisted: :twisted:

So they all went back to knocking back gin and tonics at noon and adding there horrrrendous scores up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Been a few years since I played at Rock Creek (RIP my bud's membership, and all the young guys who figured I must be a member since said bud lived about a block from the clubhouse, and they'd always see us drinking beers and watching sports in the bar, so naturally, I must be a member... good times).

But starting in late July/early August, thatwas pretty much the story there. Tough to hit a lawn dart wedge, might as well try a bump and run. And if you brought your putter back more than about 1.5 inches, it was off the green.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:Been a few years since I played at Rock Creek
You ever talk to that old Greek bastard that used to own that goat ranch ?

He used to roll $ 20 minimum bets on blackjack in his office all day long..his Greek fat old lady had a better mustache that I did in those days...
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was only familiar with the New Days -- when the people who bought it actually spent money on it and made it drain.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:I was only familiar with the New Days -- when the people who bought it actually spent money on it and made it drain.
Ahhh that would NOT be the old Greek bastard...he was so tight, dipping the till for the cash every day..treated the grounds crew like shit, hence a new grounds crew about every 10 days..we will see how long that course lasts..I see housing in its future ..and that used to be one wet sum bitch when it rained
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My friend joined for about 3 reasons -- he bought a house right by the clubhouse. And his parents have been members forever (and we used to steal their cart).

And it's cheap.

But the stories he tells of the Old Days, makes it sound like it was awfully lame. I understand the new owners threw a pile of cash at it. I've played there in winter, and it's not bad at all, except the holes along the creek after a flood (but find me any course that plays well after a flood).

And the cart girl will mix you drinks right on the fairway, which doesn't suck.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

looks like we picked the right time to go
weather for Bend/Sunriver on Wednesday

for Bandon Thursday through Saturday

fuckin sweet!!!!!

btw, field conditions will be excellent for planting
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Good on you -- since we're breaking all sorts of records for cool rainy weather in September.

Although if Bend gets 3 drops of rain, it would probably break their daily record.