Oswalt to Philly?

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Oswalt to Philly?

Post by jiminphilly »

All that stands in the way of the Phillies' acquiring Houston righthander Roy Oswalt is his willingness to waive his no-trade clause, according to multiple reports in Houston this morning.

The Phillies would send lefthander J.A. Happ and prospects to the Astros in exchange for Oswalt, the reports say.

According to one report, Oswalt has been told of the deal on the table and the terms. Of course, it is not a certainty that Oswalt approves the deal.

Houston's Fox 26 had the initial report late last night.

The trading deadline is 4 p.m. Saturday.

Oswalt told reporters Wednesday that he would like to have some time to decide before the deadline, perhaps increasing the urgency for the sides to come to an agreement.

"You do need a little bit of time," Oswalt said, according to MLB.com. "I don't want it to be two hours before the Deadline and have to make a quick decision. I would rather have a little bit of time to think about it."

According to the Fox 26 report, the sides have agreed on how much salary the Astros are paying. Oswalt is owed about $5 million for the rest of this season and $16 million next season.

It is unclear whether the Phillies have agreed to pick up Oswalt's $16 million option in 2012. He has indicated a willingness to restructure his contract in the right situation.

Phillies officials were not available this morning for comment.

Foxsports.com reported earlier this week that Oswalt was unwilling to come to Philadelphia and did not want to pitch on the East Coast.

Oswalt told the Houston Chronicle, in response, "That's not an issue. Like I said from the beginning, it's going to have work for both of us."

Oswalt is 6-12 with a 3.42 ERA in 129 innings with 120 strikeouts this season. His arrival would give the Phillies a strong 1-2-3 punch at the top of their rotation with Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels.

The Astros are off today and Oswalt is scheduled to pitch Friday night at home against Milwaukee. If the deal happens, Oswalt would leave the Astros franchise one shy of the team record for wins (144) held by Joe Neikro.

Initially, reports indicated that the Phillies and Astros were looking for a third team, possibly Tampa Bay to be involved in the deal. That no longer became the case when the Phillies could not trade rightfielder Jayson Werth, following Shane Victorino's injury earlier this week.

Happ, who returned to the big leagues Sunday after missing most of the season, was drafted by the Phillies in the third round in 2004, when current Astros GM Ed Wade was still the Phillies' GM. He is scheduled to make $470,000 this season and is still several years away from free agency.

The Phillies have talent at the lower levels of the minors and the Astros have scouted Lakewood, including a visit from Wade himself. The package figures to be heavy on pitching, rather than position players. Speculation has that Vance Worley, who was with the Phillies over the weekend and started at Triple A Tuesday night, could be included.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... z0v4sYRp9I
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Phillies still need bullpen help but rolling out a playoff rotation of Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels is pretty fucking sick.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Oswalt to Philly?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sounds like Oswalt is going to wave his no-trade for the deal. The Phils are back in the race in a hurry.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Sudden Sam wrote:Damn, I hate this. Always been a fan of Oswalt. Can't be now that he's a phuckin' Phillie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb-259115
:hfal:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sudden Sam wrote:Damn, I hate this. Always been a fan of Oswalt. Can't be now that he's a phuckin' Phillie.

You'll feel better when they miss the playoffs.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote:

You'll feel better when they miss the playoffs.
The NL East race is over. I predict by the end of August the Phillies will have at least a 3 game lead over the Braves. Oh and some of the Mets have already thrown in the towel:
Carlos Beltran knows what a difference Oswalt will make in Philadelphia, where he'll join fellow stud Roy Halladay.

"He's a horse," said Beltran, who played with Oswalt briefly in Houston in 2004. "It would have been great if it was a different story, with him coming here, but it is what it is. I think we've gotta play with what we've got."
:lol:

"They've got two of the best pitchers in baseball," Jeff Francoeur said of the Phillies. "It's impressive. Obviously, they're going after it."

Rack Bernie Madoff for screwing up the NY Mets!

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/roy ... z0vB9g4Uwj
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

jiminphilly wrote: The NL East race is over. I predict by the end of August the Phillies will have at least a 3 game lead over the Braves.
So it took about 2 weeks longer than I thought.. The Phillies might have the top 3 starters in all of baseball right now.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Wandy Rodriguez has a 1.98 ERA since Jun 24th.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Go Coogs' wrote:Wandy Rodriguez has a 1.98 ERA since Jun 24th.
Good for him. His team still sucks and is being run by a moron.

(but he's a pretty decent looking pitcher)
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

jiminphilly wrote:The Phillies might have the top 3 starters in all of baseball right now.

Do you mean... the best '1-2-3 punch' or the 3 best starters in all of baseball <-- :meds: , because the way you worded it sure reads like the latter.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:The Phillies might have the top 3 starters in all of baseball right now.

Do you mean... the best '1-2-3 punch' or the 3 best starters in all of baseball <-- :meds: , because the way you worded it sure reads like the latter.
Yeah my wording kinda sucked. Obviously meant in terms of pitching rotation goes, their 1,2,3 is the best in baseball right now.