Why the Padres are still in first place...

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Why the Padres are still in first place...

Post by Mikey »

...despite their anemic offense.

Of course, the pitching has been great. But the bullpen rotation has become like clockwork. Day in, day out if the starter can get through the sixth, he's done. Gregerson in the seventh, Adams in the eighth and Bell in the ninth.

Gregerson: 2-2, 1.70, 34 G, 37 IP, 15 H, 4 W, 47 SO
Adams: 1-1, 2.38, 34 G, 34 IP, 22 H, 11 W, 37 SO
Bell: 3-0, 2.05, 19 SV, 22 SO, 31 G, 32 IP, 31 H, 12 W, 39 SO

Bell does get a little shaky sometimes, but usually comes through.
Last edited by Mikey on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Re: Why the Padres are still in first...

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, add another shutout inning for each and another save for Bell.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: Why the Padres are still in first place...

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

why the padres won't do shit in the post-season: teams with crap pitching don't make the playoffs. you're sure as shit going to be facing teams with just as good or better #1, #2, and possibly #3 starters. you'll need to be able to hit at least a little bit.

FAIL.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:why the padres won't do shit in the post-season: teams with crap pitching don't make the playoffs.
1. SD 3.09
2. STL 3.29
3. SF 3.43
4. TB 3.50
5. ATL 3.75

:doh: :doh: :doh:
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re-read what I wrote and get back to me. I am clearly talking about the Padres lack of OFFENSE hurting their post-season chances and that they'll be facing teams with just as good or better top 3 starters.

DUMBFUCK.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Admittedly their pitching has been carrying them.
I think I mentioned that in my first post. Let's see...yeah I did.

Four runs in six innings (OK four runs in the sixth inning) of Jimenez says they can score off the best pitchers.
Last week's win over Josh Johnson says they can beat the best pitchers.
you're sure as shit going to be facing teams with just as good or better #1, #2, and possibly #3 starters.
(Ever learn to use the wonderful concept knows as capital letters?)

Bullshit.

Right now, I'd take Garland, Latos, Richard and LeBlanc against any four starters on any other team. Kevin Correia you can have. And I don't think that there's another bullpen right now that even comes close.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:Right now, I'd take Garland, Latos, Richard and LeBlanc against any four starters on any other team.
Sure you would, because you’re complete dumbfuck. Tell me, genius… what in the fuck have these four losers done… ever?

Garland -- barely over .500 in his career. Average pitcher in the AL at best. Has benefited dramatically from pitching in Petco. Have you checked his home/away splits? --> Reminds me of Peavy. Remember that “supposed best pitcher in the NL” who fucking sucks now that he’s in the AL (4.71 ERA much?) :lol:

LeBlanc -- career record of 8-9. Are you shitting me? Another douche who has a HUGE disparity in home/away splits. This guy sucks ass outside of Petco. Total loser.

Richard -- Seems deece (now that he’s in the NL.) Don't know much about him except that he blew MAJOR fucking goats in the AL.

Latos -- Seems deece. Career record of 12-9. Yippee.

These are the four guys you want to go to war with? Two guys are proven losers outside of Petco. They have exactly one post-season win between them and you’d take these 4 losers over any other team’s SP in the playoffs? Are you fucked?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Based on the first half of this season...yes.

I haven't seen you come up with four better.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:I haven't seen you come up with four better.
I don't need 4. I need 3. That's usually how many starters you face in the playoffs. STL has 3 Cy Young candidates this year. I'll take them.

Furthermore, did I mention those Padres losers haven't done shit in their careers? Ever. And that two of them have abysmal road ERAs? Fuck you and your 'deflated' Petco stats.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

3 Cy Young candidates?

LOL. You can bail now dumbfuck.

There are no "Cy Young candidates" less than 80 games into the season. Except Ubaldo, maybe.

I see three starters on one team with marginally better records than the Padres' top three.
The balance of the Padres' staff is definitely better. How many complete games are you expecting to see in the playoffs?

BTW...the Padres are 22-14 on the road. What was the Cards' road record again?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:3 Cy Young candidates?

LOL. You can bail now dumbfuck.

There are no "Cy Young candidates" less than 80 games into the season. Except Ubaldo, maybe.
STL top 3 starters are a combined 27-10 with a 2.45 ERA... that is Cy Young material.

Jimenez's ERA has doubled in the last 3 weeks. He's coming back down to earth. You do realize this, yes? Halladay leads the league in SO, CG, and IP. Gallardo leads the league in K's. Johnson is tied with Jimenez for ERA. There are plenty of Cy Young candidates. None of them are Padres.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

So, Johnson pitches for St. Louis now? That's news to me.
I also wasn't aware that having the Cy Young winner was a requirement for advancing in the playoffs.

Jimenez is 14-1. You do know what the Cy Young award is usually based on, don't you? OK maybe you don't.

The second half of the season could change things, but as of now Jimenez is the only candidate.

Do you ever tire of spouting bullshit?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Are you drunk... or just retarded? Who said Johnson pitches for STL? Seriously... where did you get that?

Furthermore, wins and/or record is not the be all end all for Cy Young, if that's what you're intimating. Or. Are you? I know you're half a fucking retard. Let me clue you in, dumbfuck. Wins and/or record is one of the last things voters look at.

You do realize that Lincecum won the Cy Young with 15 wins last year, right? Wainright (19) led the league in wins and Carpenter (17 wins) led the league in ERA/WHIP. Lincecum lead the league in Ks. Greinke (16 wins) won the AL Cy Young. Do you really want to go here? Get fucked, tard.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Right now, Latos is as legitimate a Cy Young candidate as anybody on StL.

Still too early in the season, though, to claim that anybody is a CY candidate.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Wainwright leads the fucking league in Ks. He's 2nd in wins. 2nd in IP. 3rd in ERA.

Is Latos in the top 5 in any category? He didn't even make the All Star team. Get fucked, tard.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You do realize that All Star selection is basically a popularity contest with a pronounced Least Coast bias. Don't you?
Or maybe you're as ignorant about that as you are about the Cy Young.

If not then why would the team with the best record in the NL and the best overall pitching staff in the majors have only one player selected, as a reserve, and no pitchers?

You mentioned three StL starters. I didn't say that Latos has better stats than all of the StL starters but is as letigimate a Cy Young candidate as any of them. If you can't see the difference there than you're even more of a dumbfuck than I though you were. At the halfway point he's definitely as much of a Cy Young candidate as any of them are.

If you want to look at stats alone, Latos has a much lower ERA than and as many wins as Carpenter, more wins than Garcia, fewer losses than Wainwright, a better walk to strikeout ratio than any but Wainwright, and the lowest WHIP of any starter in the NL.

Since May 7, Latos is 8-1 with an ERA of around 1.80.

Total innings and strikeouts don't mean shit. The Padre starters usually don't go more than 6 innings, even working on a shutout, because their bullpen is generally lights out. We'll see how Wainwright is doing in late September if he's still second in innings pitched. Prolly have a dead arm by the end of August. :meds:

Plus Latos plays for a better team. If the Padres go anywhere in the playoffs (the Cards aren't even leading the WC standings) it would definitely work to his advantage in the CY voting.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:You do realize that All Star selection is basically a popularity contest with a pronounced Least Coast bias.
If we were talking about position players, this shit take might have some merit. You do realize who selects the pitchers, right? :doh:
Mikey wrote:Total innings and strikeouts don't mean shit. The Padre starters usually don't go more than 6 innings.
And you think the fact that he relies upon his bullpen will bolster his Cy candidacy? Just how fucking stupid are you? Seriously. Strikeouts do mean something. They show how dominant a pitcher can be. Did you not read my last post about Lincecum winning the Cy Young last year and only led the league in one major category (Ks)? Furthermore, ask Matsuzaka how important it is to pitch more than 6 innings if you plan on winning the Cy Young. 2008. 18-3. 2.90 ERA. Led the league in lowest opponent batting percentage and still finished a distant 4th. Why? Because he didn't pitch past the 6th inning, you colossal dumbfuck. Ask your boss if doing less of your job means and relying more upon your teammates to finish things for you will net you " special recognition." Again. Get fucked, tard.
Mikey wrote:Plus Latos plays for a better team. If the Padres go anywhere in the playoffs (the Cards aren't even leading the WC standings) it would definitely work to his advantage in the CY voting.
Did Lincecum or Greinke play in the post-season last, dumbfuck? The Cy Young is categorically an individual award. It's not anything like the MOST VALUABLE player. You are fucking awful at this. I can't remember the last time I dismantled someone like this. Good riddance.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Declaring victory now? Now there's an ultimate pussy move if ever there was one.
Who are you trying to convince, anyway?
You really are a fukking loser, aren't you?

I never said anywhere that Latos would win the Cy Young award. I would be very surprised if he did. That's not what this is about, in spite of your constant attempt at changing the subject. I merely said that he was as legitimate a candidate at this point in the season as any of the Tardinals starters. Nobody knows what will happen in the next three months.

The fact is, there's a pitcher for the Rockies who is 14-1, 2.23 with no-hitter in the first half. If the Cy Young ballot was held today he'd win by a large margin. EOS. Go ahead and keep arguing against that and show what a complete loser dumbfukk you really are.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:Declaring victory now? Now there's an ultimate pussy move if ever there was one.
With regard to our debate, of course I am. You got just about everything wrong in this thread. Every point you attempted to make was shoved back in your face as being incorrect. Meanwhile, I laid out fact after fact to help make my point.
Mikey wrote:The fact is, there's a pitcher for the Rockies who is 14-1, 2.23 with no-hitter in the first half. If the Cy Young ballot was held today he'd win by a large margin.
Let me clue you in on something. The Cy Young voting isn't until after the regular season ends. However:
Mikey wrote:If the Padres go anywhere in the playoffs (the Cards aren't even leading the WC standings) it would definitely work to his advantage in the CY voting.
:lol:

The voting does take place BEFORE the playoffs begin. It's a REGULAR SEASON award. Wrong again, eh dipshit?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Rack this thread.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:I never said anywhere that Latos would win the Cy Young award. I would be very surprised if he did.

Seeing as how he can't sneeze without ending up DL'ing himself, I would be surprised too.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'd be surprised if your IQ is any higher than your age.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Hey Mikey... have you seen my baseball? :meds:
To recap:
Mikey wrote:Jimenez is 14-1. You do know what the Cy Young award is usually based on, don't you? OK maybe you don't.
Certainly not the best record or wins. First hint of you being totally fucking clueless. More gems to follow...
Mikey wrote:So, Johnson pitches for St. Louis now? That's news to me.
That was news to me too. Show me (again) where I stated that.
Mikey wrote:You do realize that All Star selection is basically a popularity contest with a pronounced Least Coast bias.
Seeing as how managers select the pitchers, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. They may "pick their own" when it comes down to a close decision between two players... but certainly don't lean towards East Coast teams. Not to mention... they are responsible for fielding a team fighting for WS home field advantage. You think they give a fuck about popularity?
Mikey wrote:If the Padres go anywhere in the playoffs (the Cards aren't even leading the WC standings) it would definitely work to his advantage in the CY voting.
Epic fail. Cy Young voting takes place before the playoffs. Can you actually point to one thing you got right in this thread?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Wait... Jimenez didn't win the Cy Young?

Tard.