Ubaldo

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Ubaldo

Post by War Wagon »

Only 3 pitchers in MLB history have had 10 wins and an ERA under 1.00 before June.

1913 - Walter Johnson
1965 - Juan Marichal
2010 - Ubaldo Jimenez

This guy is unreal. With apologies to Roy Halladay, give the NL Cy Young award out now.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Ubaldo

Post by War Wagon »

I heard the above blurb on MLB network, which I assumed must be correct. However, then I came across this:
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since earned runs became an official statistic in 1912 in the National League and 1913 in the American League, only three pitchers have won nine games with an ERA below 1.00 in their first 10 starts. Eddie Cicotte went 10-0 with a 0.84 ERA in 1919 for the White Sox, Hoyt Wilhelm went 9-0 with a 0.83 ERA in 1959 for the Orioles, and Juan Marichal went 9-0 with a 0.59 ERA in 1966 for the Giants.
Whatever, this Ubaldo cat is close to uncharted territory.

It most definitley does not suck that I drafted him, which was almost an afterthought, as everybody else kept passing on him. I was like finally, shit, he's the last SP left on the 1st page, might as well grab him... in the 14th fucking round, no less. I imagine most folks just had a tough time picking someone named "Ubaldo". That is a most fucked name.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

And he could easily be...probably SHOULD be 11-0. In his only loss he pitched 7 innings and only gave up two hits, one run.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Good to see the Greinke slappy to acknowledge the ridiculous numbers of Jimenez... ;)
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shoalzie wrote:Good to see the Greinke slappy to acknowledge the ridiculous numbers of Jimenez... ;)
His numbers totally eclipse what Greinke did last year, but then again, he plays in the NL so one has to make allowances for that.

If Grienke last year had pitched in the NL, he'd have had similar numbers. And likewise, if Jimenez pitched in the AL this year, his numbers would mirror Zacks' 2009 campaign. As in, both were and are sick.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:His numbers totally eclipse what Greinke did last year, but then again, he plays in the NL so one has to make allowances for that.
And the fact he pitches in Denver, which even with the humidor balls, is not exactly easy. Dude is filthy beyond belief.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Michigan wrote: And the fact he pitches in Denver...
ya' know, I hadn't even considered that, but now that you mention it... yeah, makes it even more messed up.

Planet Zack, meet planet Ubaldo.