Ratatouillle

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Ratatouillle

Post by Mikey »

Apparently this is one of those foods that has certain basic ingredients, and then everybody seems to have their own take on exactly how to fix it and what actually goes in it. I made some the other night, and this is how...

Cut up 3 medium yellow onions and tossed them into a large saute with 3 diced garlic cloves and about 2 tbs of EVOO. Sauteed on medium heat, while I...

Diced a medium sized eggplant into 3/4" pieces and tossed them in once the onions were translucent. Then I added a whole red bell pepper, diced.

After about 5 minutes I added two cans of Progresso whole plum tomatoes with the juice, and quartered the tomatoes with a spatula while in the pan.

Simmered on low heat for about 10 minutes and then added four large zucchinis, cut into 1/2" cubes. A few grinds from the pepper mill, a little dried thyme (I didn't have any fresh) a bay leaf. Covered loosely and simmered for about 1/2 hour. At that point I uncovered and simmered for another 20 minutes or so to reduce the liquid. Adjusted the salt and it was ready to go.

Served over brown rice with baked chicken, and it was very good.
I think I may have overdone the onions a little, and also the tomatoes, so I might make these adjustments next time.

This is very easy to do, it makes a huge amount, it's great reheated and even cold.

Anybody have any good variations on this?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Ratatouillle

Post by smackaholic »

sounds tasty , simple and good for you. will give this a shot, mikey.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.