Horse collar = horseshit

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

The Seer
Just the Facts

Horse collar = horseshit

Post by The Seer »

Can't grab a player by the top of his pads...but an offensive player can grab a defenders face mask all day long....and this umpire in the AZ/GB game has nerd spelled all over him.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Re: Horse collar = horseshit

Post by Diogenes »

The Seer wrote:Can't grab a player by the top of his pads...
The last one one against Dockett was actually a good call. You can't tackle a player by the collar is the rule. The earlier one on GB's TD drive was bullshit, Watson(?) grabbed the collar before tackling by the legs.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

The whole rule is horseshit.

Hey, heres a great idea: Why don't they just velcro a flag to the runner's belt and if somebody can grab he flag & pull it off the belt, the runner is down and won't be hurt
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Couldn't agree more that the horsecollar rule sucks. I can understand the facemask rule to avoid getting a player's neck twisted off, but a horsecollar tackle doesn't endanger the ball carrier... and is quite effective at stopping the motherfucker you're paid to stop.

The rule should be shitcanned.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

War Wagon wrote:Couldn't agree more that the horsecollar rule sucks. I can understand the facemask rule to avoid getting a player's neck twisted off, but a horsecollar tackle doesn't endanger the ball carrier... and is quite effective at stopping the motherfucker you're paid to stop.

The rule should be shitcanned.

... for good measure:
packwin13
Elwood

Post by packwin13 »

Diogenes wrote:
The Seer wrote:Can't grab a player by the top of his pads...
The last one one against Dockett was actually a good call. You can't tackle a player by the collar is the rule. The earlier one on GB's TD drive was bullshit, Watson(?) grabbed the collar before tackling by the legs.
Agreed that first one was a bad call. It actually looked like the Cardinal defender let up on the tackle so it wouldn't be a horse collar.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote: a horsecollar tackle doesn't endanger the ball carrier...
Genius take.

Sin, The Roy Williams Fan Club:
Terrell Owens
Donovan McNabb
Musa Smith
Tyrone Calico

Thay all had legs broken by Roy Williams as a result of horse-collars... in the same season...

Dumbass.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:
War Wagon wrote: a horsecollar tackle doesn't endanger the ball carrier...
Genius take.
no shit...what could go wrong here

get out, get out while there's still time
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

In fairness to Roy Williams, it was the only he was going to tackle anyone that wasn't running straight at him.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Ya'll are a bunch of crying slits.

This is a man's game. Grow a pair.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Legs supposed to do that?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

IndyFrisco wrote:Image

Legs supposed to do that?
Nope, but they can do crazy things without being touched.

Sincerely,

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

DF,

You expect us to believe you're against the rule and it has nothing to do with the fact Roy Willimas was on the Cowboys at the time?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

DallasFanatic wrote:Ya'll are a bunch of crying slits.

HC tackling is outlawed at every level of football and there is a reason for it. It's not a technically sound way to tackle anyone, with the person getting yanked from behind in a very vulnerable position with no chance of defending himself. I think the NFL is getting soft with some of their rule changes but this a good one.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

DallasFanatic wrote:Ya'll are a bunch of crying slits.

you've never played football beyond pop warner have you?
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

IndyFrisco wrote:DF,

You expect us to believe you're against the rule and it has nothing to do with the fact Roy Willimas was on the Cowboys at the time?
No, I'm against the rule because I can't see the tibias and fibulas of Eagle's players snap like a Thanksgiving wishbone. :D

All in all, I am for the rule. It is a technique that is proven to end a season for a player. I just wish I could see some close-arms on receivers going over the middle, body slamming of midget running backs, and massive head slapping to o-lineman's grills.

The NFL is becoming a league for pansies, or is this when the board starts whining about concussions? And yes Felix, I played ball well after my illustrious pop-warner career.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

DallasFanatic wrote:The NFL is becoming a league for pansies, or is this when the board starts whining about concussions? And yes Felix, I played ball well after my illustrious pop-warner career.
I agree the league is pussifying. They're just trying to protect their investments in their high dollar players. As for concussions, I wish them on no one. I got one this weekend and my head is fucked up. Played basketball with my noggin while ice skating. 10 stitches, a swollen shut black eye and a contusion to my brain. Massive headaches for a couple days and yeah, I wish them on no one like I said.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

IndyFrisco wrote:Played basketball with my noggin while ice skating. 10 stitches, a swollen shut black eye and a contusion to my brain. Massive headaches for a couple days and yeah, I wish them on no one like I said.

That sucks. I had the same thing happen to me when I was about 16. My head got bounced off the ice... hard... and continued to feel like Curly frigging Neal was doing tricks with my head for about a week afterwards. Flat out puked my guts out for the 1st three days.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

DallasFanatic wrote:
The NFL is becoming a league for pansies

then why stop at reinstating horse collar tackles...fuck it let them go back to leather helmets and what used to substitute as "shoulder pads" (in fact were nothing more than pads)....no one can wear any kind of knee supporting braces and QB's would not be allowed to wear flak jackets....lets reinstate the old Dick Butkus clothesline tackles

fuck, that would turn the league into NASCAR where the majority go not to see the race but to watch some dude named Billy Bob crash into a wall at 200 mph
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Felix wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:
The NFL is becoming a league for pansies

then why stop at reinstating horse collar tackles...fuck it let them go back to leather helmets and what used to substitute as "shoulder pads" (in fact were nothing more than pads)....no one can wear any kind of knee supporting braces and QB's would not be allowed to wear flak jackets....lets reinstate the old Dick Butkus clothesline tackles

fuck, that would turn the league into NASCAR where the majority go not to see the race but to watch some dude named Billy Bob crash into a wall at 200 mph
You are a freakin drama queen Felix. Don't confuse that with your T1B drag queen secret.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

DallasFanatic wrote:
You are a freakin drama queen Felix.

no just pointing out the fact that you seem to want to see more violent hits, more injuries, more "tough guy" football seriously, wouldn't some of those old clothesline tackles, where its about 50/50 that the guy breaks his neck be fucking great?!?!?!?

jeesus dude, you seen to be about a week removed from wanting to reinstate gladiators fighting to the death and brought to you by Fox in High Def
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Felix wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:

no just pointing out the fact that you seem to want to see more violent hits, more injuries, more "tough guy" football seriously, wouldn't some of those old clothesline tackles, where its about 50/50 that the guy breaks his neck be fucking great?!?!?!?

jeesus dude, you seen to be about a week removed from wanting to reinstate gladiators fighting to the death and brought to you by Fox in High Def
You should consider becoming a full time woman on this board Feelsdix.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Felix wrote:Jeesus dude, you seen to be about a week removed from wanting to reinstate gladiators fighting to the death and brought to you by Fox in High Def

IN!
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

DallasFanatic wrote:
dude, you're the one making idiotic statements that a rule that clearly protects players is "pussyfing" the league , so I'm just trying trying to get a handle on exactly what other rules you think make the game just a little to mild for your tastes...

I don't need to ask you about the horsecollar, because you've been pretty much beaten down about that moronic statement, but here's a few more for your consideration

protection of QB's-pussifying or protecting
helmet to helmet hits-pussifying or protecting
hitting a defenseless receiver-pussifying or protecting
forearm hits to the helmet-pussifying or protecting
limitation of the number of people in a wedge on a kick return-pussifying or protecting
elimination of blindside block delivered by a helmet, forearm or shoulder to an opponent's head or neck-pussifying or protecting

I think their all good rules designed to protect the players from what could be career ending injuries...I've seen too many good and great players careers cut short because of these exact type of injuries....sure, it makes it a little less violent, but dude, just how fucking violent do you want the game....personally, I prefer to see great athletes going against other great athletes to determine who are the better team...the last thing I ever want to see is some guy being taken off the field in one of those golf cart thingys....

if you want violence become an MMA fan
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

It's ironic that the protection the players wear perhaps contributes to the danger of the sport, imo.

Because players wear the hard helmet and large shoulder pads they feel a little bit immunized from the threat of injury.

So we see guys flying and flinging themselves around like human missiles.

BIG guys doing this.

You can legislate in all of the "ticky tack" rules you want to attempt to provide protection for the players, but you can't stop the speed and size increase of the players.

Going back to leather helmets and small shoulder pads may actually increase safety for the players because guys would reign themselves in to adjust to not being so padded up.

But the league will NEVER go that route.

Instead, they'll act like they are doing something by continuing to put in new protection rules.

Fans love the violence of the game and they really couldn't give two piss squirts if most of the guys walk away from the sport ... hurtin' for life, in varying degrees.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Players like the violence too now.

RACK Pop and Screw.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Felix wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:
dude, you're the one making idiotic statements that a rule that clearly protects players is "pussyfing" the league , so I'm just trying trying to get a handle on exactly what other rules you think make the game just a little to mild for your tastes...

I don't need to ask you about the horsecollar, because you've been pretty much beaten down about that moronic statement, but here's a few more for your consideration

protection of QB's-pussifying or protecting
helmet to helmet hits-pussifying or protecting
hitting a defenseless receiver-pussifying or protecting
forearm hits to the helmet-pussifying or protecting
limitation of the number of people in a wedge on a kick return-pussifying or protecting
elimination of blindside block delivered by a helmet, forearm or shoulder to an opponent's head or neck-pussifying or protecting

I think their all good rules designed to protect the players from what could be career ending injuries...I've seen too many good and great players careers cut short because of these exact type of injuries....sure, it makes it a little less violent, but dude, just how fucking violent do you want the game....personally, I prefer to see great athletes going against other great athletes to determine who are the better team...the last thing I ever want to see is some guy being taken off the field in one of those golf cart thingys....

if you want violence become an MMA fan
Maybe I needed to spell my response out for you. If you got to the second sentence you would have read that I am in favor of the horse collar rule. The next sentence maybe should have been followed with a semi-smiley face. Football is a violent sport Felix, and you and your box of tampons are going to have to deal with it. I, like most others on this board, do not want to see a player suffer a career ending injury but aren't opposed to seeing it take a couple minutes for a player to shake the cobwebs from a hard and legal hit.

Here's where I have a problem. They are letting referees, with questionable eyesight, make judgement calls that happen in fractions of a second. A graze of Brady facemask warrants 15 yards? A 330lb defensive lineman has his bodyweight going forward and gently rolls into the legs of a QB and gets 15 yards? One specific hit was Sensabaugh drilling a receiver with his shoulder pad. No helmet whatsoever, and that got a 15 yard penalty apparantly because the ref thought it looked bad.

Screw that.

I know the intent of rules is to maximize player safety. The interpretation of the rules and enforcement of these interpretations is whats pussifying the league. So go ahead and get your box of kleenex ready for this weekends game Felix. I know how bad you must feel when a player may get injured playing a violent sport that they sign a contract and get paid handsomly for.
Last edited by DallasFanatic on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

poptart wrote: But the league will NEVER go that route.

Instead, they'll act like they are doing something by continuing to put in new protection rules.

I agree....lets have the "you must be this small to play" rule
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

DallasFanatic wrote:
I, like most others on this board, do not want to see a player suffer a career ending injury but aren't opposed to seeing it take a couple minutes for a player to shake the cobwebs from a hard and legal hit.
so you're not really opposed to players being injured, just so long as they're not career threatening injuries....
They are letting referees, with questionable eyesight, make judgement calls that happen in fractions of a second. A graze of Brady facemask warrants 15 yards? A 330lb defensive lineman has his bodyweight going forward and gently rolls into the legs of a QB and gets 15 yards?
well if the rules are being applied uniformly by these visually impaired officials, I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with it...fans of every team could offer examples of what they consider to be marginal penalties, but in most games I saw this year, the officials were pretty consistent in their calls...and exactly how does a 330 lb lineman "gently roll" up on a quarterbacks leg?
One specific hit was Sensabaugh drilling a receiver with his shoulder pad. No helmet whatsoever, and that got a 15 yard penalty apparantly because the ref thought it looked bad.
I'm not familiar with the hit your referring to, but I can tell you that EVERY team gets called for those types of penalties...I saw a bunch of helmet to helmet and hitting defenseless receiver penalties called on the Broncos that I thought were pretty marginal....just out of curiosity, was Sensabaugh fined by the NFL for this particular hit your referring to?
I know the intent of rules is to maximize player safety. The interpretation of the rules and enforcement of these interpretations is whats pussifying the league.
this rings of "the referees are out to get my team"...I haven't personally witnessed any officiating crew systematically targeting any particular team or player in all of the games I've seen this year...but you should know that when players develop a reputation for cheap shots (like sensabaugh), said players are always going to be scrutinized more closely than players that don't engage in such practices...
I know how bad you must feel when a player may get injured playing a violent sport that they sign a contract and get paid handsomly for.
injuries are a part of the game and every player that straps it up on Sunday's knows it...my problem has always been injuries that are a result of unnecessarily violent hits...you know, the players (like Sensabaugh) that are out there not just to hit an opposing player but to just fucking jack them up...
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

poptart wrote:It's ironic that the protection the players wear perhaps contributes to the danger of the sport, imo.

Because players wear the hard helmet and large shoulder pads they feel a little bit immunized from the threat of injury.

So we see guys flying and flinging themselves around like human missiles.

BIG guys doing this.

You can legislate in all of the "ticky tack" rules you want to attempt to provide protection for the players, but you can't stop the speed and size increase of the players.

Going back to leather helmets and small shoulder pads may actually increase safety for the players because guys would reign themselves in to adjust to not being so padded up.

But the league will NEVER go that route.

Fans love the violence of the game and they really couldn't give two piss squirts if most of the guys walk away from the sport ... hurtin' for life, in varying degrees.
RACK the fukkk outta pops
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..