Cardinals - Packers in Game

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Cardinals - Packers in Game

Post by Diogenes »

So when was the last time a team finished the regular season against a particular team- and then had them the next week in the playoffs?

Seriously, I can't rember. And I'm getting up there in the years.

Unless the Cheating Farves manage to choke one more away, the Cards and Packers will have back to back games.

With one week left in the regular season – a home game against the Packers – the Cardinals know they are in the playoffs.

They know that, unless the Vikings lose next week at home against the Giants, they will play the Packers at home the first playoff weekend.

Facing the Packers two weeks in a row leaves many questions about the extent of the play-calling and how much starters will play for both sides. Trying to earn a No. 3 seed instead of No. 4 may not be worth it to coach Ken Whisenhunt to expose his team to Green Bay in any way.

“I don’t know if there’s going to be any clear cut indication of what’s going to happen until possibly right before the game,” Whisenhunt said Monday.

Or even during the game, thanks to the Dallas-Philadelphia game – which is the linchpin of every Cardinal scenario – having its kickoff moved later, to 2:15 p.m. Arizona time, and running concurrently with Cardinals-Packers.

“We’ll go ahead and plan and prepare like we’re playing Green Bay (this weekend) for a game of significance,” Whisenhunt said. “If that changes, at least we’ve gotten a good week of preparation in because there is chance we could play a Saturday game (in the first round).”

The Cardinals’ scenarios are relatively simple. With the Vikings’ dramatic overtime loss in Chicago Monday night, the Cards can still be No. 2 if the Vikings lose again to New York and the Cowboys defeat the Eagles – assuming a Cardinals’ win against Green Bay.

There is one possibility left for the Cards to not be the second seed and not play the Packers. If the Cards win, the Eagles win and the Vikings lose, the Eagles would soar to No. 2 and the Cards and Vikings would be tied with an 11-5 record. The Cards, having beaten Minnesota, would be No. 3 and the Vikings No. 4. The Packers, in that scenario, would be No. 5 and Dallas would be No. 6.

In that case, the Cowboys would visit the Cards.

But every other what-if has the Packers coming to Arizona, whether it is as a 3-6 matchup or as a 4-5.

“Right now,” Whisenhunt said, “I can’t tell you (achieving the No. 3 seed) would make a difference.”

At least the Cards have some higher seeding to play for, while the Packers go into this game knowing they are probably going to have to play every playoff game on the road regardless of the first outcome against the Cards.

Not surprisingly, Packers coach Mike McCarthy heard the same questions Monday himself.

“I think, frankly, a lot of this gets overhyped, game-planning and so forth,” McCarthy told reporters. “Football is about fundamentals and the people that do that win games. Putting this individual against that individual, yeah, you try and do that but also the opponent has the ability to grab the chalk and get on the board too and take that away. That component never changes.

“If we do play them in two weeks, great, we’ll be ready. If we don’t, we’re going to make sure we are ready to play them this week.”

McCarthy also said he was leaning against staying the week in Arizona even if the Packers played here twice, because it was better to stay in a regular routine of flying home and practicing in Green Bay.

There is a chance Sunday’s game will end up a version of a glorified exhibition, with backup quarterbacks Matt Leinart (who threw for 360 yards in the preseason against Green Bay) and Matt Flynn handling most of the duties instead of Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers.

Keeping players sharp is important, Whisenhunt acknowledged, although he noted the passing game came together nicely a week after being out of sync in Detroit.

“But it’s going to be awfully hard to keep Kurt (Warner) or Larry (Fitzgerald) or Anquan (Boldin) off the field,” Whisenhunt said. “I’m just telling you that right now up front. We tried to get Larry off the field (Sunday) when he dinged his elbow and he wouldn’t come out.

“Even though we weren’t as efficient last week against Detroit, I feel like we moved that way (Sunday). That’s going to be a big factor for these guys wanting to play this week, just to keep that rolling.”
And no, Philly vs. Arizona is not in the mix until the Conference Championship at least.

And yes. I'd still prefer the Cowgirls. Look for Tony Homo to throw at least four picks against whoever is on the schedule.

We're talking about January.

But bring it on, Packerfan. Except mtwat.

You're a ninerfan again. Deal with it.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
packwin13
Elwood

Re: Get ready Pack. Back to back.

Post by packwin13 »

If the first round bye is out of the question for the Cardinals by kickoff, the week 17 game is going to look a lot like a preseason game. The starters may play for a while, but I wouldn't expect many new schemes on either side of the ball. As long as the Packers avoid the injury bug this week I'll be happy. I do expect us to both be revisiting this thread early next week though when the teams match up again.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

packwin13 wrote:If the first round bye is out of the question for the Cardinals by kickoff, the week 17 game is going to look a lot like a preseason game. The starters may play for a while, but I wouldn't expect many new schemes on either side of the ball. As long as the Packers avoid the injury bug this week I'll be happy. I do expect us to both be revisiting this thread early next week though when the teams match up again.
Actually, from the same article...

McCarthy also said he was leaning against staying the week in Arizona even if the Packers played here twice, because it was better to stay in a regular routine of flying home and practicing in Green Bay.

There is a chance Sunday’s game will end up a version of a glorified exhibition, with backup quarterbacks Matt Leinart (who threw for 360 yards in the preseason against Green Bay) and Matt Flynn handling most of the duties instead of Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers.

Keeping players sharp is important, Whisenhunt acknowledged, although he noted the passing game came together nicely a week after being out of sync in Detroit.

“But it’s going to be awfully hard to keep Kurt (Warner) or Larry (Fitzgerald) or Anquan (Boldin) off the field,” Whisenhunt said. “I’m just telling you that right now up front. We tried to get Larry off the field (Sunday) when he dinged his elbow and he wouldn’t come out.

I think after the Indy spectacle they'll keep the starters in unless it is a blowout. But they'll come with a basic game plan, leave any special plays for week one of the real season.

ImageImage
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Diogenes wrote:So when was the last time a team finished the regular season against a particular team- and then had them the next week in the playoffs?
Chiefs and Raydahs played in Week 17 and the wildcard round in 1991. Broncos and Raydahs played in Week 17 and the wildcard round in 1993.
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Nice job, Paul.

I remember '91 well.

Raider QB Jay Schroeder stuggled with a 52% completion pct that year.
Art (Al) yanked him in the regular season finale at home v. the Chefs in favor of rookie Todd Marinovich.
Marinovich promptly three 3 TD passes and Oakland got over on KC in that game to make the playoffs - @ KC the following week.

So Art (Al) opted to go with the "hot" rookie Marinovich in that road playoff game ... and I protested the decision, thinking it would be wise to go with the veteran, even though he had a down season.

Marinovich chucked up 4 INTs on a COLD day in KC and the Chefs got over on the L.A. Raiders 10-6.

Then Marinovich gave THIS post-game interview in which he was likely loaded off his @ss.

Nice fuckin' VD lips, douche.

Surfer boy was OUT of the league one year later.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

poptart wrote:I remember '91 well.

Dude. that sucks.

Then again, if was a Raider fan, I'd probably relive the ninties too.

And the Eighties. Or was it the seventies. Either way, Long live Lyle, Fred and the Snake.

And Tatum.

Cheer up my friend. Al Davis has to die someday.

Of course if I was a Chiefs fan, suicide would be an option.

ImageImage
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Diogenes wrote:
And yes. I'd still prefer the Cowgirls. Look for Tony Homo to throw at least four picks against whoever is on the schedule.
LMAO at Cardinal fans suddenly having this sense of being a lock based on one lucky January run after 50 years of winning about one playoff game. :lol:

And as far as this year goes, that's hilarious that you would want the Cowboys, considering what a soft team the Cards are. You have the benefit of playing shitty soft teams all year and then you act like it would be a blessing to play Dallas, a team that plays in a black and blue physical division. Phoenix (or whatever you are) needs to look at that little red bird on their helmets and remember their role. You're going to get ousted in the playoffs early and Dallas will go the distance.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:...considering what a soft team the Cards are.

Did I mention You're a Fuckin Moron? :twisted:

ImageImage
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Rack the Tards.
No, RACK college hoops. Thank god there's something else on Sundays while this unwatchable product has rolled out yet another blowout in the playoffs (assuming the Tards keep it up).
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Says the guy who was at a GW basketball game instead of watching NE-Baltimore. :lol:

(btw, you're partially correct)
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I'm just hoping that the 'unwatchability' continues. And that the Saints game is equally 'unwatchable'.

ImageImage
KC Scott

Re: Cardinals - Packers in Game

Post by KC Scott »

Great game - just sucks for Rackers to miss that kick
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Man...if Jennings caught up to that pass this game is OVER! :shock:
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

What a Game - shit, that makes up for the 3 turds in a huge way
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

If I was Rackers I'm buying Karlos Dansby a freaking Rolex for getting his ass out of a sling..... :lol:
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

That got Waaaay too watchable for me.

Props to the Pack for a great comeback.

And I guess Adams gets a reprieve for the rest of the game. For now.

ImageImage
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

And BTW...
Diogenes wrote:
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff wrote:Fitzgerald was the "one receiver" I was referring to since Bolden is hurt. I didn't forget about Breaston but Sensabaugh will fuck his shit up. What I forgot to mention is that everyone will know that the Cardinals are passing on 95% of downs after the first quarter when their running game goes nowhere, making it easier to tee off on Warner.

You're an Fuckin Moron. Their running game has been steadily improving, Boldin played after coming back early from facial reconstruction surgery and kicked ass-he'll be just fine if you ladies even make it that far, and you probably don't know who Doucet is.

But then, nobody knew who Breaston was before Q got hurt.
http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewto ... et#p649529

E. Doucet 6Rec 77Yds 12.8Yd/Rec 2TD

Did I mention You're an Fuckin Moron?

ImageImage
packwin13
Elwood

Post by packwin13 »

Heartbreaker, but a hell of a rally by the Pack. Lots of offensive playoff records were broken today (they may only hold up for a week with the Cardinal/Saint track meet looming). Not a major shock that Doucet had a big game- he was "covered" by Jarrett Bush today- who was responsible for about 250 of Big Ben's 500 yards a couple weeks ago. He played out of position over the middle pretty much all day long. Props to the Cards for being the survivors today.....on to the long offseason for me......
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

mvscal wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:The Saints will handle the Cardinals without much problem, they are better on both sides of the ball.
No, they aren't and they're going to be rusty. Your team sucks. They're gutless bitches who got fat on creampuffs, faded down the stretch and overcame no challenges this season. Now they face a team that hung 51 on the best defense in the NFC and have one of if not the most dangerous postseason quarterback in NFL history.

The stage is set for a Dallas-Arizona conference championship. The Taints and Viqueens are little more than cattle nervously mewling in the slaughter pen. They know something is wrong but can't quite figure out what it is and the steel bolt that blasts through their skulls will come as a complete surprise.
Rack this whole take. That's exactly what the NFC title will be. The Saints fans are delusional right now, ignoring the past 6 weeks and crying out "bu- bu- bu what about our highlight reel tapes from September against the Rams?" :meds:

It's a man's game now, you frauds. And thanks for quoting me Diogenes, you know, me, the "moron" who got 3 of 4 games right. Those were some good receivers you have but let me tell you what- every last one of them will get locked the fuck up in Big D in two weeks. I was referring to what it's going to look like when the Cards go up against the best secondary in football ...meet Hamlin....meet Jenkins....meet Sensabaugh...meet Newman. Bam. And Warner will be flat on his ass. That Packers defense isn't the best in the NFC wtf :lol:

the Road to the Super bowl goes through Titletown and the Cowboys aren't taking any prisoners.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

mvscal wrote:The Packers had the #2 defense in the NFL and Warner shredded them like a high school scout team.

Maybe in terms of season stats but I always look at how a team plays the last four games and then into the playoffs. That's what I looked at back in August and pointed out, seeing the youth and energy and potential of the Cowboys D and how it would mold together by December and be lights out and lo and behold that's what you're seeing. And that's right now and Dallas has the best defense in the NFL coming off back to back shutouts and then a routing of the Eagles in the wild card game where the Eagles got a cosmetic TD at the end. Wade can pick and choose how he wants to ruin Warner's world with the talent he has on hand. This isn't the defense of all time but it's the best Cowboys defense ever. The Tards have been playing in that shit division all year and played only the Vikings and Colts as legit teams. Look for Brian St. Pierre in the game by the end of the half with Wade showing no mercy.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:Rack. The second half was some of the most exciting football I've ever seen. God damn - I've never seen that many unfuckingreal passes/catches in one game in my life.
You mean you've never seen that many busted coverages in one game on your life capped off by one of the worst crew job non calls in the history of football.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
packwin13
Elwood

Post by packwin13 »

BSmack wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:Rack. The second half was some of the most exciting football I've ever seen. God damn - I've never seen that many unfuckingreal passes/catches in one game in my life.
You mean you've never seen that many busted coverages in one game on your life capped off by one of the worst crew job non calls in the history of football.
Not going to go all Raiderfan on the refs, but they missed two major ones in OT. On the play where the Packers were flagged for holding (correctly) Rodgers took a pretty obvious helmet-to-helmet hit. After the one Warner got earlier in the game, I couldn't believe that one got missed. As for the facemask on the strip, the ball was coming out already before the facemask occured. So, I am assuming the refs were following the ball at that point rather than the QB, which was why it was missed.

As bad as that was, giving up 45 points in regulation was a hell of a lot worse. Warner threw a total of four incompletions all game and had all day to throw on most passes. The Packers didn't make the correct adjustments and the Cardinals continued to exploit the middle of the field all day.