Enchiladas

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Enchiladas

Post by War Wagon »

Wifey got this simple recipe from some gal at her work and I freaking love these things, can't get enough. So much so, I started cooking them myself 'cause the old lady is tired of them.

1-1/2 pounds or so of fresh Chorizo Mexican sausage, brown in a skillet. Add in one can ea. of cream of mushroom & cream of chicken soup, plus a can of Rotel. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Scoop into flour tortillas, roll and place on a baking pan. Cover in shredded cheese, place in 350 degree oven for another 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, add some shredded lettuce & picante sauce and eat until you can't eat anymore. Take leftovers to work and they seem to taste even better after they've been refrigerated and reheated in the microwave.
ppanther
Elwood

Re: Enchiladas

Post by ppanther »

Hmm. I guess it's nice if they taste good and all... and I'm totally not one to go "version snob" on you (see: Cincinnati Chili and how much I enjoyed it)... but this recipe freaks me out a little bit. Good that you enjoy it, though!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Doesn't sound like what I know as enchiladas, but...to each his own.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not my idea of an enchilada either.

But what do us surrounded-by-Mexicans Left Coasters know anyway?

That recipe (which sounds tasty) would probably be better defined as a "redneck fajita" than an enchilada... the lack of enchilada sauce out front told me.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote: ... the lack of enchilada sauce out front told me.
'xactly.

Also, I understand that you can make almost anything with cream of mushroom soup...but enchiladas?

Cook up some seasoned shredded beef or chicken (or ground beef if that's your thing), or just use cheese if you want, roll it in some corn tortillas, pour on a bunch of enchilada sauce, dump some grated cheddar or jack, or both, or some of that real Mexican stuff, bake it until it's hot and you've got enchiladas.

BTW...picked up a half dozen homemade tamales yesterday at our church. The Mexicans in these parts do know their tamales. Those things are basic heaven on earth.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:roll it in some corn tortillas

The Northwest version of the Wetbacks always use four tortillas, from what I've seen.

BTW-that article I read never should have insinuated that chicharron isn't really bad for you. There's a freaking awesome Mexican bakery right by my house (Mexican doughnuts are awful-btw), but they sell some meats and prepared foods. And their burritos are brilliant (and huge, for $4.25, used to be 3-fiddy). But they always have a stack of fresh chicarron. Kinda gross, but oh so yummy. And when Gringo walks in the door, he's like an honored guest, since it's a very small percentage of their customers. Pasty Dins gets the major hookup when it comes to stuffing them burritos.

RACK ma and pa burrito stands-btw... I understand you folks have one or two of those in california.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yeah we've got a few of them places.

I do like those fried pork rinds, especially with some good hot sauce, but I also try to respect my cholesterol level. When I was on Atkins I used to buy them by the bag and scoop up cream cheese with them for a snack :oops: . Yeah, I actually lost weight doing that.

Around here enchiladas are only made with corn tortillas, and they're open at the ends. Made with flour tortillas it'd be called a smothered burrito or something akin to that.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:but I also try to respect my cholesterol level.

They led me to believe chicharron was "good cholesterol"... again, "they" never should have told me that... surely there's something bad in there.

Around here enchiladas are only made with corn tortillas, and they're open at the ends. Made with flour tortillas it'd be called a smothered burrito or something akin to that.

I'll revise that -- when you get the enchilada-platter dealio, I guess it's a few open-ended corn tortillas with enchilada sauce. Maybe it's a U&L thing, but the lines between enchiladas and "wet burrito" (s'what's that's called around here) are becoming blurred. Although the style you describe is still common, though my post suggested otherwise.

Which leads one to wonder -- does Whitey put ChefBoyArDee in chimichangas?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: That recipe (which sounds tasty) would probably be better defined as a "redneck fajita" than an enchilada... the lack of enchilada sauce out front told me.
Hey, I'm a novice. Call it what you will, I wouldn't know an enchilada from a chimichanga (which sounds sorta' gay) but yes indeed they are tasty. And filling too. I can barely put away 2 of 'em, and I'm stuffed.

Forgot to add the final topping btw, sour cream.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Just out of curiosity, what is Rotel?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

You're kidding, right?

From their website:
RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies makes ordinary dishes come alive with Southwestern flavor. Made from a legendary blend of fresh tomatoes, chilies and spices, RO*TEL adds a zesty kick to any Queso or party cheese dip recipe. Just add a can to your favorite recipe and Spice it Up!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ppanther wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is Rotel?
I was never aware of the stuff until maybe a year ago, but you can find it in most supermarkets in the same section where you get all of the variations of canned tomatoes - sauce, whole, diced, crushed, etc. There are 3 or 4 varieties, basically diced tomatoes with chiles.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mikey wrote:There are 3 or 4 varieties...
Yep... mild, medium, hot, and get a fire extiguisher. I can't abide the hot stuff.

Wifey has been making an awesome cheese dip with this for many years... I thought it was a household name.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I don't think I've ever tried it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Rotel is good for your basic cheese dip. Block of Velveeta and a can of rotel. Mix in some sausage and you got your basic Super Bowl queso. It's not fancy, but it is definitely savory. I'm surprised it isn't well known in Cali.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Velveeta? Maybe it is well-known... in Fontana. Or Bakersfield.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ppanther wrote:Maybe it is well-known... in Fontana.
In Fontana they probably use Fontina. :doh:

Sorry...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

mvscal wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Rotel is good for your basic cheese dip. Block of Velveeta and a can of rotel.
Rotel and a little Velveeta is also good with scrambled eggs and diced ham for a quick breakfast bomb. Wash it all down with some V8 and you're good to go.
Good to go to the bathroom maybe. :lol:

But yeah, I'm not above Velveeta or Rotel. By no means a staple in the Frisco household, but I can't remember the last Super Bowl party I hosted or attended where there was not a crock pot of queso made with Velveeta/Rotel/Sausage/etc. somewhere around. Greasy barfood it is. Fine French cuisine it isn't.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Indy wrote:But yeah, I'm not above Velveeta or Rotel.
I love this, especially considering how bunched up you get over chili and its many 'unacceptable' variants.

You're not above Velveeta? Good for you. Someone has to eat it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

IndyFrisco wrote:I can't remember the last Super Bowl party I hosted or attended where there was not a crock pot of queso made with Velveeta/Rotel/Sausage/etc. somewhere around. Greasy barfood it is. Fine French cuisine it isn't.
Pretty much any party, you'll find a crockpot of that around... with a few bags of tortilla chips.

Wifey puts hamburger in hers and that pot usually comes home empty. I think I'll ask her to make a batch of it this week-end. Stuff will keep forever in the fridge as well.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:Stuff will keep forever in the fridge as well.
Decent rule-of-thumb... if bacteria aren't interested in eating something, chances are you should probably avoid it too*.

* -- Honey doesn't count
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Dins is right.

And no, a mix of Velveeta and canned tomatoes is not present at pretty much any party. At least it's not around here. I don't think I've ever seen it, and I've gone to some pretty ghetto parties. The "worst" cheese concoctions I've seen are either pre-made cheese logs or the obligatory cream cheese block covered in either salsa or chili sauce*. But at least the cream cheese block is cheese. It needs to be refrigerated and heaven forbid, could even spoil if left too long.

I know that might be scary to those of you who love Velveeta, but think of it as a whole new world to explore. Real cheese!

* The ghetto chili-sauce-covered cream cheese block is really yummy.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

ppanther wrote:Real cheese!
NOT in.

-BCO
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Even this food snob bitch will put velveeta in things from time to time.

http://ridiculousfoodsociety.blogspot.c ... ginal.html
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Um... Am I supposed to decide Velveeta is good because some blog you posted says it is?

Seriously, Indy... I'm sorry, but Velveeta has never and will never be any part of my kitchen, unless someone happens to bring it for a party. To prevent that, in fact, I might add a "PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANYTHING MADE FROM VELVEETA" note to any future invitations I send out.

You go ahead and enjoy, Velveeta-lover. I'll accept the loss I must be experiencing and move on to the apricot stilton.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Velveeta, a "pasteurized cheese food product", must be one of those midwest things. Sort of like Miracle Whip.

Hmmmmm...both made by Kraft. Merely a coincidence?

According to this website

http://www.squidoo.com/velveetainfo

5% of the population eats 75% of the Velveeta. Must be all those Super Bowl party goers.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Wow, I never realized Velveeta or Miracle Whip was such a culinary faux pas.

I'll watch my step. I'm sure there must be a horde of things I like to eat that would be frowned upon in some circles, so I won't even mention frozen pizza.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Miracle Whip was only omitted because he couldn't spell it. Seriously, what's the next ingredient, Trailer Wagon...Dinty Moore Beef Stew?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

ppanther wrote:You go ahead and enjoy, Velveeta-lover.
Where did I say I loved velveeta? I said it made a decent cheese dip as a bar food or potluck appetizer. Not my first or thirtieth choice in cheese but in the right circles, it's edible. Have you never stuck anyting in your gullet you knew would not be the best thing you have ever eaten in the mindframe you're just hungry with no better option? If you say no, you lie.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

What's worse than Miracle Whip?

Mayo.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

What's the knock against Miracle whip vs. Mayo anyway? Miracle whip has a sharper, more vinegary taste - that's all. If it's it's a health thing, who gives a toss - butter is better than margarine :?:

RACK War Wagon, frozen pizza technology has come a long way
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

PSUFAN wrote:Dinty Moore Beef Stew?
Freaking YUM!

2nd only to Jimmy Dean sausage.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dr_Phibes wrote:...frozen pizza technology has come a long way
True that.

Red Baron Firebaked does not suck.

As for Miracle Whip, a sammich isn't a sammich without it.

Who the fuck doesn't have a jar of Miracle Whip in the fridge at all times? It's a staple, like milk and eggs.

Is this like the special peoples forum?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

War Wagon wrote:2nd only to Jimmy Dean sausage.
Oh my...never heard of that. The only pork that is allowed to touch my pallate is organic fed swine which sip tea out their trough.

-Food Snob
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

War Wagon wrote:Is this like the special peoples forum?
For some...or I should say for a few. The majority here still likes a plain ole steak and tater.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dr_Phibes wrote:What's the knock against Miracle whip vs. Mayo anyway? Miracle whip has a sharper, more vinegary taste - that's all. If it's it's a health thing, who gives a toss - butter is better than margarine :?:
I just don't like the taste of mayo. Miracle Whip is ok, but I prefer a nice brown mustard on my sammich over Miracle Whip/Mayo. The only reason I have Miracle Whip in my fridge is for deviled eggs and a cheese sammich with just a slice of american between wheat bread. It is a nostalgic thing for me. My mom always gave me a cheese sammy on wheat with Miracle Whip. And yeah, it's that tangy flavor that gives Miracle Whip the thumbs up over Mayo for me.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

War Wagon wrote:Wow, I never realized Velveeta or Miracle Whip was such a culinary faux pas.

I'll watch my step. I'm sure there must be a horde of things I like to eat that would be frowned upon in some circles, so I won't even mention frozen pizza.

Sensitive much?

Nothing against Velveeta or Miracle Whip, except that I would avoid them at all costs. To each his own I always say.
You pretty much prove my point though. Its a midwest thing.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:And yeah, it's that tangy flavor that gives Miracle Whip the thumbs up over Mayo for me.
Tangy? It's that combo of sweet and tangy that sort of reminds me of the stuff that backs up in my mouth when a belch goes a little too far.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I'm not so sure of that Mikey. I've lived in Texas and have seen people eat velveeta and miracle whip. Spent some time in Florida. Same thing. Live in the midwest now and sure enough it is on the shelves and in people's fridge.

Anyhow, like you and I have always agreed upon, can't knock it til you've tried it. I'm on record as saying velveeta and rotel isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but dipping a few chips in it at a super bowl party isn't the worst thing. Hell, I think a cheese tray is about the worst thing at parties. I love cheese, but unless you got some mustard, some assorted meats and rolls or crackers to go along with the cheese, leave the fucking thing at home.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:And yeah, it's that tangy flavor that gives Miracle Whip the thumbs up over Mayo for me.
Tangy? It's that combo of sweet and tangy that sort of reminds me of the stuff that backs up in my mouth when a belch goes a little too far.
Meh...like I said, give me mustard over either. The first question I always ask when ordering a burger anywhere is if it has mayo on it. If the answer is yes I request mustard. If they bring it to me with mayo on it I send it back. I'd rather eat the lougie the chef spits on the next one for sending back the first one than the mayo.