UCLA VS. USC

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

The Seer
Just the Facts

UCLA VS. USC

Post by The Seer »

A 7:00pm kickoff is very problematic for my liver.

It is going to be very intense.

There will be a lot of DNA on the field - blood, snot, spit, and hopefully spooge all over Pom Pom Pete after the game.

Div I rivalries that are inter-city do not suck.

This game will help validate Neuheisel and narrow the gulf.

The residence has been evacuated. I am ready. I will watch the contest with lungs flaring and emotions raw. I will not give a fuck what neighbors perceive me to be. Victory will be ours!

and I will meekly succumb to my deathly hangover tomorrow morning.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: UCLA VS. USC

Post by Van »

What channel is this thing on??
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

What's your deal Coach Carroll?
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Petey showing his normal demonstration of class. Looking forward to SC fans trying to defend this.
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Yeah that was bad, and then the USC bench taunting the Bruins at the end. Fight on my ass. Worst part was having to listen to the SC homers broadcasting the game defending that crap.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Wtf was that??

There were about fifty seconds left in the game. The game was over. USC was up by 14, and they had the ball at midfield. Kneel down, shake hands, go home, right?

Inexplicably, Neuheisel calls time out, rather than just let the clock roll away. They switch the camera over to the USC sidelines, and the USC coaches are looking at each other as if to say, wtf?? They look pissed, and suddenly the OC and Pete are frantically conferring.

When they come out of the UCLA timeout, rather than kneel down and end it, Barkley throws a fuggen bomb to Damian Williams, who was wide open. UCLA clearly wasn't defending that possibility.

TD, USC, and Pete and the OC whoop it up with each other.

They just interviewed Pete on the field, and they asked him about the pile-on TD. He was clearly pissed. He started off by giving the standard Jim Harbaugh non sequitur answer, then it was like he just said, "Fuck it." He continued with his answer by saying, "They called that time out, and they were loading up at the line, so we thought we could go for it."

He admitted on TV that he piled-on, because of UCLA's bizarre time out.

There was a near brawl after the play, with the entire UCLA team coming out to midfield, and when the game was over Pete and Neuheisel had the world's shortest postgame handshake. Without even looking at each other they just brushed fingertips and bolted.

That was the strangest shit ever.

We've officially got bad blood between UCLA and USC.

Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Stay classy, USC... :meds:
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Somebody needs to tell Petey it's too late for style points.

Force of habit, I guess.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Teams call time out all the time with the hopes of maybe having a fumbled snap. Should they have called TO? No, but you see it all the time at all levels of football. Load the LOS and hope there's a mishandle of the snap. Fuck Pete, Fuck SC......yeah they won but they won like little bitches. fuck the fans who moaned and whined after Stanford and fuck you now you little cunts.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

As pissed as Pete was about it, there had to be something else going on there. It's the same question I had when Harbaugh did it: Why? What's the back story there?

I don't really care that Harbaugh did it, and it doesn't matter that Pete did it. Those types of blatant pile-ons are just grist for the media mill anyway. The interesting thing about them is simply the question of motivation. What possesed Harbaugh to be so blatant about it, and what made Pete so angry about Neuheisel calling that stupid time out that he lashed out like that in response?

I've only ever seen a coach become angry when he was on the losing end, and the winning coach called pointless timeouts. To see Pete and the OC become so freaked out over Neuheisel doing it, that just blew me away. Wtf was Pete so pissed about??

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

No doubt, which is why I'm wondering why Pete was so pissed that Neuheisel did that.

On a different note, no, teams on the losing end of games like that are not supposed to stop the clock. Nobody does that. When the other team has the ball, and a two score lead with under a minute to play, and all they have to do is kneel down, there's nothing you can do. We see those situations a dozen times per weekend, and the losing coach never decides to stop the clock, just to delay the inevitable kneel down.

It'd be different if it were fourth down, and UCLA stood a chance of at least getting the ball back. It wasn't. There was nothing they could do to stop those last few seconds from ticking off, with USC not having to run another real play.

I don't know why Neuheisel would do that, and I don't know why Pete and the OC got so pissed about it anyway, but I'm also just about 100% sure that Pete doesn't call for that bomb if Neuheisel doesn't call that time out. The way he and the OC freaked out and conferred during the time out, then sent in the play, it was obvious they did it in response to the time out.

Everything about that situation was just bizarre. No idea why Pete got mad. I would've expected him to just chuckle, then look across the field at Neuheisel and shout, "Slick call there, Lombardi!" before running the last kneel down play anyway.

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Plain and simple Skippy should have expected it after calling timeout. I applaud Petey for being the true douche, err, competitor that he is in piling on and getting Bruin panties bunched.

Should make for a great game next year.

:meds:
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mace, sometimes you're just hopeless...

socal, I haven't checked any homer boards. What's the reaction been in Gutty Land to what happened last night? Everybody freaking out over the bomb, or are they freaking out over Neuheisel calling the time out and then being unprepared for the retaliation?

What was your take on it? Why do you think Neuheisel called that time out, and have you heard anything about why he did it, or why Pete got so pissed over it?

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

'Spray, you keep saying that, and you keep being a thousand percent wrong about it. A coach would walk out of any SEC stadium just fine after doing it, same as he would anywhere else. Or, have you forgotten Steve Spurrier, who is a sainted coach in your league, despite the fact that he practically invented the concept of running it up on his opponent.

Mace, you goddamned monkey, I'm not laying anything on UCLA. I'm asking why Neuheisel did it, and I'm asking why Pete got so inexplicably pissed over it that he responded by doing such a blatantly crazy thing?

That's it. It made no sense, what either of them did, so I'm wondering wtf happened there?

How do you always botch shit like this, Mace? Are you so anti-USC that you've become incapable of basic reading comprehension? I know you're not genuinely stupid, so why can't you ever get this shit right?

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

The only whimpering cunts are the people getting so upset over it. The game was over. Pete was showing class by kneeling. If Neuweasel was trying to "send a message to his players that you should never quit" he probably should've made that clear to his secondary. Calling timeout means "we're not done playing," so SC kept playing. Carrol has no obligation to take a few knees and then punt the ball just sothe Gutties can pad their stats in garbage time. The Weas got what was coming to him, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
"Keys, woman!"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Van wrote:'Spray, you keep saying that, and you keep being a thousand percent wrong about it. A coach would walk out of any SEC stadium just fine after doing it, same as he would anywhere else. Or, have you forgotten Steve Spurrier, who is a sainted coach in your league, despite the fact that he practically invented the concept of running it up on his opponent.

The media loves Spurrier but I live in SEC country and don't fool yourself he is pretty well despised by ten of the twelve SEC schools and their fans.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Van, predictably the UCLA board is pissed and the trojies are coming over in droves. The Bruin faithful are obviously saying it was a classless move and the condom folks are saying that RN started it and wanted to keep the game going. My take is this.....As a coach you call the time out hoping for that small miracle...Joe Pisarchek with the hopes of something happening. RN knew they were done but the mask you put on is different to your players. Your players see you still trying to compete and do whatever you have in your power to allow them to make a play. If the C-QB exchange works then you're done, however there is that small glimmer of hope. All PC had to do was kneel down, or run the ball up the middle and have his kids slowly get off the pile. On 4th down if it ever got there just have your punter run around for a few seconds, then kick the ball. Too many other options for PC to have run instead of throwing a bomb.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Van,
I couldn't care less what homer boards are or are not saying. I don't follow them. Imagine it must be a clusterfuck not unlike last night's debacle.

:brad:

Lax,
Other options, sure. But Skippy probably wouldn't have been prepared for those either. He must have had his mind on offensive scenarios when they got the ball back cause he damn sure wasn't paying any attention to what was happening on the field or on the opponent's sideline after calling timeout. He should have known better than to trust Petey would take a knee.

I sure hope Petey is enjoying the moment because he will have other less than stellar moments in the very near future against coaches that are bigger assholes than him.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Neuheisel didn't do anything wrong
How many times has someone made this statement in the past 10 years and it been fact?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

aside from the actual play call, the cunt move was running up and down the sideline celebrating like his team hadn't just been bus fucked by stanford.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
Van wrote:'Spray, you keep saying that, and you keep being a thousand percent wrong about it. A coach would walk out of any SEC stadium just fine after doing it, same as he would anywhere else. Or, have you forgotten Steve Spurrier, who is a sainted coach in your league, despite the fact that he practically invented the concept of running it up on his opponent.
The media loves Spurrier but I live in SEC country and don't fool yourself he is pretty well despised by ten of the twelve SEC schools and their fans.
And yet nobody ever killed him, despite all the piling on he did in the SEC.

Urban Meyer was never in danger either, despite what he did to Georgia.

'Spray likes to engage in a bit of SECBSH hyperbole, every now and then. :)

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lax, the Joe Piscarcik play was only possible because the Eagles weren't down two scores. Neuheisel had nothing to even try to sell, not with a 14 deficit and USC merely going to the kneel down.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

'Spray, do SEC stadium officials typically allow shotguns into their stadiums and campus grounds?

:lol:

Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Van wrote:'Spray, do SEC stadium officials typically allow shotguns into their stadiums and campus grounds?

Allow?

Hell we give them away at the concession stand with every handle of jack purchase.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Maybe the Weas called the timeout because he had his goal line package in and knowing the Poodle's tendencies figured he'd pass after taking a knee just to rub it in. Seriously though, by calling the TO at that time, has $C taken another knee, UCLA would have gotten the ball back. They would not have had time to win the game, though.

Either way, it was a bitch move on the Poodle. And the running up and down the sideline was pathetic. However, I'd expect nothing less from the Poodle.

All in all, it was a win-win. The Weas is a dick, and got what was coming to him. The Poodle is a dick, and he basically cemented the fact.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:Didn't even watch it.

Damn shame...used to be such a great game.
They already played this game?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

What a bunch of fuckin' pussies we have in here.

The only thing upsetting about that play was that 1.) Fuck Face Jeremy Bates (Denver Donkey castoff - OC) waited until the last minute to run it. 2.) They didn't attempt a two-point conversion afterwards.

Maybe Neuheisal will think twice about calling timeout and accept a respectable (by his standards) two touchdown beatdown by 'SC. Maybe the UCLA administration will think twice about spending thousands on a full page ad in the LA Times claiming that SC's dominance of Los Angeles is over.

Fight On!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I hadn't even thought about that...the two point play. Jesus, what if Pete had done that too!

I'm still surprised at how much enmity so many people seem to have for Neuheisel. Dude seems like a decent enough guy to me. His deal at Washington was a total joke, and his other issues don't seem to paint him as quite the devil people want to make him out to be.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I would imagine that if that actually happened then it was probably a case of Neuheisel being sarcastic, and calling out their lack of effort.

Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Van, I know the Eagles weren't down by more than 1 score. My reference was that their hope might have been a Barkley fumble a la JP from the Giants. I wasn't referring to the score, just the ineptness of one certain QB who happened to play for my favorite team.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Larry Csonka, baby! "Dude! Wtf??"

Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Csonka, Doug Kotar, Rob Carpenter, Brad Van Pelt.....man those were some tough years for Giant fans.....
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Van, he earned the nickname Slick Rick for a reason. Dude was a total douchebag at Colorado. Could he coach and recruit? Yeah. Doesn't mean we gotta like him.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

What did he actually do though? Putting aside the cute nicknames and the urban legends, what did he actually do?

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Are you kidding - urban legends? He was charged with over 50 recruiting violations. That'll sort of lead to nicknames like "Slick Rick."
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Van wrote:What did he actually do though? Putting aside the cute nicknames and the urban legends, what did he actually do?
From Wiki:
NCAA Rule Violations at Colorado
After Neuheisel left for Seattle, Colorado lost five of 25 scholarships for one year, and was put on two years' probation for 53 rules violations, 51 when Neuheisel was the Colorado coach from 1995–98. "This was a serious case," the NCAA's infractions committee ruling said, "in which a football coaching staff, led by the former head football coach, in a calculated attempt to gain a recruiting advantage, pushed beyond the permissible bounds of legislation, resulting in a pattern of recruiting violations.." [6]

It was during his time at Colorado that he first began to be known as "Slick Rick" by his detractors, as it reflected their belief that he possessed a disingenuous personality.
As you know, I hate cheaters.

And yes, I hated Jackie Sherrill for what he did while at A&M.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I honestly never paid much attention to his history. I've been aware of his rep, but I never knew the specifics of how he came by that rep. I just knew he got shafted at Washington, which, IIRC, he somewhat rectified by winning a lawsuit against them for wrongful termination.

So, okay, while he was at Colorado they were found guilty of 51 recruiting violations. That Wiki article doesn't say what they were. Were they 51 instances of doing the same thing, or 51 different things, or what? Anybody know the nature of the violations?

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

First off, it doesn't matter if it is 51 instances of the same thing or not. However, he was guilty of "bumping", giving apparel to recruits, improper use of private planes, and "excessive reimbursement" to players (read: paying them for expenses that did not occur).

Then, as soon as he got to Washington, he violated recruiting rules in the first week he was there.

Then, he lied about the gambling thing. Personally, I'd give him some slack on that in that he actually gambled on NCAA basketball, but the fact he lied about it leads me to believe he knew he was wrong in doing it but did it anyway. In other words, he doesn't care much for rules.

He's a piece of dogshit.

Oh, and when asked about his recruiting violations in a hearing while at Colorado, he responded with "I just thought I was being creative in my approach." :meds: x infinity
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

From NCAA.org:
Date: October 8, 2002

Violation Sumary: NCAA violations involving the provision of clothing items to recruits during official paid visits, contacts with an athletics representative, publicity involving a prospective student-athlete, excessive reimbursement of travel expenses for recruits and improprieties involving recruiting entertainment expenses. The institution was also found to have failed to adequately monitor the recruiting practices of its former football staff. Also secondary violations.

Penalty Summary: Public reprimand and censure; two years of probation; limit the number of grants in the sport of football to 20 (instead of 25) for either the 2003-04 or 2004-05 academic year; limitation of expense paid visits to 51 for the 2003-04 academic year; the number of football coaches permitted to recruit off campus any one time shall be reduced by one until July 31, 2003; show-cause provision for the former head foot ball coach at his employing member institution; annual reporting.
The sad thing is they had to deal with it long after he left.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

That's not what I'm saying, B-t-H. I'm saying that while he may have said it, his intent probably wasn't to literally tell his team at halftime to not even bother playing the second half. It was probably more a case of him telling them that if they're going to continue with not bothering, fine, then don't bother.

"If you don't care, then neither do I. Do whatever the fuck you want," or something along those lines, was likely the message.

No, I don't believe he literally told his team to quit at halftime, and meant it. I don't care what your friend said, I don't believe that. People tell stories all the time, adding their own spin; embellishing things, leaving out other things, etc.