Tonight's Menu

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Tonight's Menu

Post by Mikey »

God and G0d I love having a week off. I actually have time to try some new things.

Tonight few dishes from Marcella Hazan

Pork loin braised in milk
Potatoes braised with celery
Asparagus salad

The pork braised in milk sounds kind of strange but it's on now, cooking for another 2 hours or so, and it already smells incredible.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Tonight's Menu

Post by indyfrisco »

How bout an update on the pork loin braised in milk? Sounds odd. What seasoning? What process?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Tonight's Menu

Post by Mikey »

Very simple dish.

The recipe calls for 2 lb of pork loin, in one piece, with some fat on it, securely tied. Our market sells pork loin roasts that are actually two pieces tied face to face with the fat facing out on both sides. I used one of these, which was about 4 lb.

In a casserole just large enough to contain the pork (I used a large aluminum covered skillet/saute) you brown all sides in 50/50 butter and vegetable oil. Then you add 2.5 cups of milk (I only had skim milk on hand). Season with salt and pepper. Cover loosely and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours. I simmered for almost 2.5 hours. I also used more milk, maybe 3 to 3.5 cups. In the end, if the sauce isn't all the way cooked down you remove the meat to a cutting board and reduce the sauce. There are a bunch of clusters of cooked coagulated milk and you need to cook it down and get it to start browning. Remove any remaining fat and deglaze the pan. My pan had some scorched milk on the bottom but I just scraped it up and included it in the sauce. The sauce is kind of lumpy but incredibly rich. No other seasoning - slice in 3/8 inch slices and serve with the sauce. I was a little skeptical at first but it was delicious.

And it went very well with the potatoes and celery.

That recipe called for 1.25 lb of peeled potatoes, but I used 6 medium red potatoes with the skin on, cut in half. Take a bunch of celery, remove the leafy part, peel some of the veins off by breaking at the leafy end and pulling down, cut the stalks in 3 inch pieces. In a cassserole (again I used another large covered skillet) you add the celery, 1/3 cup of EVOO 1/2 tsp salt and enough water to cover the celery. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbs lemon juice (I used a lemon juice ice cube that I have saved from my last crop of Meyer lemons). Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. If, when the potatoes are done, the water isn't all gone, remove the potatoes, turn up the heat and cook down until the liquid is about 95% EVOO. Add the potatoes back in and serve hot. This is another simple but very tasty combination. The cooked celery absorbs a lot of the lemon flavor and, in combination with the EVOO makes a nice coating for the potatoes.