I don't like seafood..

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

I don't like seafood..

Post by jiminphilly »

...for whatever reason, I've never been able to acquire a taste for it... I've tasted all different types and prior to this past week, the only fish I liked was a grilled tuna steak. However this past week I was on vacation with friends in a beach town in NJ and jumped at the chance to try Mako. My friend grilled 2 filets, one with a light basting of some sauce and the other with just sea salt, pepper and olive oil. 5-6 minutes each side on the grill.

WOW... was that good! What else am I missing? I don't like the fishy tasting stuff nor do I like the mussels etc.. (also tried but didn't care for Salmon, Trout, Tilapia etc..).

Any good recipes for a wanna-be seafood lover?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: I don't like seafood..

Post by Mikey »

swordfish
ahi
albacore or tombo
sea bass (grouper on the east coast I think, but not "Chilean sea bass" which is not bass at all)
other kinds of shark besides mako
halibut
ono (or wahoo)

are all fish that will taste great if just seasoned and grilled

Make sure that you get fresh fish. Some are easier to grill than others (ie less likely to fall apart on the grill) but all of these will give you a nice result that shouldn't have that "fishy" taste.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Cindertrout. Kinda fishy...get it rare so it is bloody like a steak. Add some bleu cheese. Awesome.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:Cindertrout. Kinda fishy...get it rare so it is bloody like a steak. Add some bleu cheese. Awesome.
You're sick.

But I think if you added a generous coating of Brent's World Famous BBQ Sauce (the hot kind) you'd end up with something that's finger licking good.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Red Snapper...no, not a cinder reference...but an awfully good fish to eat.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

damn near any fresh fish with a little seasoning and a squeeze of lemon is pretty damn good.

Mako is one of my favorites.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Mikey wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Cindertrout. Kinda fishy...get it rare so it is bloody like a steak. Add some bleu cheese. Awesome.
You're sick.

But I think if you added a generous coating of Brent's World Famous BBQ Sauce (the hot kind) you'd end up with something that's finger licking good.
Nah, if he added his sauce he'd need a penicillin shot.

Aside from that unwanted mental image, another way to season fish for the grill was to place your fish in a ziplock bag with some teriyaki and tapatio hot sauce for 30 minutes.

Five to six minutes may be too long for smaller pieces. Three minutes usually does the trick if the grill is hot. It will depend on the type of grill you're using I suppose.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'd echo Mikey's reply. It's not hard to develop an aversion to fish if all you've had is the shit you get in a fish sandie. It's like chewing through Styrofoam, possibly tasting worse.

There's gotta be a good fresh fish market in Philly again. Go there, talk to one of the folks working behind the counter, and they'll hook you up with something good and fresh.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

PSUFAN wrote:There's gotta be a good fresh fish market in Philly again. Go there, talk to one of the folks working behind the counter, and they'll hook you up with something good and fresh.
I laughed.

-Dins
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
PSUFAN wrote: There's gotta be a good fresh fish market in Philly again. Go there, talk to one of the folks working behind the counter, and they'll hook you up with something good and fresh.
Reading Terminal Market in Chinatown. Only place to go.

Corrections in italics.

SM is correct.. this would be the best place to go but I'm about an hour or so outside the city so it's not a quick 15 minute ride to some side market to get fresh fish. Guess I'll have to have a cooler of ice ready when I go.