Best way to re-heat pizza?

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Best way to re-heat pizza?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Other than microwave, and other than using a pizza stone, since I don't own one.

I've heard the best method is to use a skillet and cook it on very low heat so that the bottom gets crispy but the top gets nice and gooey. I've also heard setting the pizza out for 20 minutes so it gets to room temp and then sticking it in the oven at the highest possible temperature for a few minutes until the top gets melty. I'll actually be trying that method shortly. Just curious what you all have to add.
Screw_Michigan

Re: Best way to re-heat pizza?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

You must be eating that gourmet deep-dish shit they have in Naperville. It never occurred to me to ever do anything other than nuke it.

I would think the skillet would be a good idea, but I think you'd have to turn the heat up to get the bottom of the pizza to harden.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

WTF is wrong with cold pizza?

Are you the last person in North America without a microwave? Or do you just not like it that way?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

There's this bomb deep dish pizza chain in metro Chicago, and he probably has some at home, that's the only thing that would spur me to think of better ways to re-heat pizza. Little Caesar's wouldn't be worth the mental energy thinking of better ways to re-heat that shit.

On that note, I read in the Post a few weeks ago an article about people discussing better ways to re-heat steak, I never would have thought of that myself.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I don't think I could stand to spend 30 minutes reheating a couple pieces of pizza, considering the fact that cold pizza is one of the best reasons to eat pizza in the first place!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yeah, Screw's right. I like cold pizza, but Chicago style deep dish like this:

you really can't eat cold.

I tried the oven method and it came out decent, but I'm looking for a better way. Thing is, this pizza is so huge and filling that taking some home is pretty much a guarantee, so I want a solid method for re-heating it so it tastes as good as possible. Yeah, I own a microwave, but pizza becomes bland, dry, and rubbery after you nuke it. Not down.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ppanther wrote:I don't think I could stand to spend 30 minutes reheating a couple pieces of pizza
Apparently you've never eaten Lou Malnati's. It takes 45 minutes just to bake the pizza at the restaurant, (and that doesn't count the time waiting for a table). And it's worth every minute.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
ppanther wrote:I don't think I could stand to spend 30 minutes reheating a couple pieces of pizza
Apparently you've never eaten Lou Malnati's. It takes 45 minutes just to bake the pizza at the restaurant, (and that doesn't count the time waiting for a table). And it's worth every minute.
I'd wait for that, sure... but a couple slices of leftovers? Not sure I could. I'd have to try it. Where is it, in case I ever get to travel again?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Well, if I can make it taste even half as good, it's worth the 20 minutes. Trust me. Dinner is going to take you 20-30 minutes (at the very least) for prep and cook time anyway, so it's no big deal. In any event, I've gotten some other tips to do this in half that time, so we'll see how it turns out.

The original Lou Malnati's I believe is in Lincolnwood, a northern suburn. Now they have quite a few locations all over Chicagoland. If I was visiting, I'd go to the one in Lincoln Park since that's a cool part of town to hang out in. The Malnati's I frequent is in the western Burbs.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

that doesn't really qualify as pizza though - looks more like lasagna and shares it's re-heat values.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Its got dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings. That's pizza, friendo.

Although that's a fair point about the reheat time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I was wondering where TheArtist had gotten to.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

If you're talking about a couple pieces here, go with the toaster oven and flick to about 400 degrees for 10 minutes. If you have like 4 slices leftover, then heat the first two, take them out and put the others in while you're eating the first two. Toaster oven is the way to go.

Anyone else "reheat" and entire pizza? i do when I pick up a pie from a local place that is good, but it's just never quite cooked enough so I fire it in my oven until it's well done.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

DamnTheCowboys wrote:If you're talking about a couple pieces here, go with the toaster oven and flick to about 400 degrees for 10 minutes. If you have like 4 slices leftover, then heat the first two, take them out and put the others in while you're eating the first two. Toaster oven is the way to go.

Anyone else "reheat" and entire pizza? i do when I pick up a pie from a local place that is good, but it's just never quite cooked enough so I fire it in my oven until it's well done.
sounds like you need to either tell them to leave it in the oven another 3 minutes or find a different pizza joint.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

DamnTheCowboys wrote:Anyone else "reheat" and entire pizza? i do when I pick up a pie from a local place that is good, but it's just never quite cooked enough so I fire it in my oven until it's well done.
I do this a lot.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Throw it on the BBQ for a few minutes.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Best way to reheat pizza since you don't have a stone:

1. Preheat your oven to bake at 400 degrees.
2. Get a small strip of foil to cover the end crust that is your "handle". Wrap it around to cover the entire piece on top of it so it does not burn. It will steam itself and stay nice and chewy.
3. Put the pizza on a cookie sheet or pan. Anything metal.
4. Cook at 400 for about 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the "bake" and set to broil on high. This will get the top nice and melty fast. I like mine a little overdone and crispy, but just keep it on broil until you get the consistency you want.
6. Remove foil and eat. Slather it in ranch FTDC-style. I sure do.

BBQ idea good too.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i hate undercooked pizza. the local place i used to order from started sending what i consider undercooked pies...and i switched back to the other pretty respectable NY style pizza place.

my old dissertation adviser makes his own dough and cooks them on the BBQ and then sauces and tops the pie and finishes them in the broiler. he's also, get this, building his own wood fired pizza oven in his back yard. it took him 10 years to convince his wife to let him do it....and he broke ground on it last summer. i helped him pour the concrete for the base of the oven last September. he's supposed to be building the dome this summer...but, i haven't spoken to him since may. his family is Sicilian, he takes the cooking seriously. my family is part-Italian but he's hardcore.

i think the microwave to reheat pizza is criminal. makes it spongy. get a toaster oven (for slices) or use the convection on a cookie sheet. i've got a baking stone, but using that you'd better have a sweet baking peel and be all-world with it.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Oh my gosh, I've recently discovered grilled pizza and I don't know if I can ever again make it any other way! I use a dough recipe from a Bobby Flay book I have, but probably any good dough will work. For the recipe I use, stretch the prepared dough into the desired shape, brush both sides with olive oil/sprinkle with salt, then grill 4 minutes per side. Add toppings (not too heavy, and all pre-cooked), then grill covered for 3 more minutes. Un freaking believable. The winning topping so far has been caramelized onions and pears with crisp bacon and gorgonzola, but if that's too exotic, we've also had great success with bbq chicken and plain ol' pepperoni with tomato sauce.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The winning topping so far has been caramelized onions and pears with crisp bacon and gorgonzola
Ye gods, that sounds good...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.