Is there a finer stoner rock tune than...

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Is there a finer stoner rock tune than...

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

"Seven Days"?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxVBUWadFkg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxVBUWadFkg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"Keys, woman!"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Re: Is there a finer stoner rock tune than...

Post by battery chucka' one »

So, in keeping with this line of logic, would you say that Dance of the Dead is also 'stoner' rock?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Nah. They didn't really become "stoner rock" until Pepper Keenan took over vocals on Deliverance.
"Keys, woman!"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Interesting. A grown man named......

......Pepper. Sounds very curious, wouldn't you say?

And what, by this definition of 'stoner' rock, defines the band as such? What metamorphosis took place, if I might ask, (aside from the aforementioned 'Pepper') that changed their music in such a way as to jump genre?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Did someone mention Pepper Keenan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

CoC is cool.

for pure stoner cuts (old school) i'd give you Traffic's "40 thousand headmen".

edit: i give you proof, if asked i would respond this cut from Traffic's self-titled LP....was like 10 minutes long. turns out: 3:14.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Traffic rules.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

King Crimson wrote:for pure stoner cuts (old school) i'd give you Traffic's "40 thousand headmen".
"Low Spark" is pretty stonilicious.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

If it's good music, it all sounds good stoned...or sober.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

another personal fave is Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the Madcap Laughs.

War Syd.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

battery chucka' one wrote:Interesting. A grown man named......

......Pepper. Sounds very curious, wouldn't you say?
This coming from someone who listens to bands with grown men named Rikki, Jani, Nikki, Toni and Tracii.

At least Pepper is (as far as I can tell) his given name. Take it up with his parents if you don't like it.
And what, by this definition of 'stoner' rock, defines the band as such? What metamorphosis took place, if I might ask, (aside from the aforementioned 'Pepper') that changed their music in such a way as to jump genre?
While Mgo is right that any good music sounds good stoned (or sober), "stoner rock" - the genre - sprang up in the Cali desert in the mid-90s. Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Nebula, etc. It's basically a combination of Sabbath's sludge-y blues metal and Skynrd's Southern rock grooves. Look it up on Wikipedia.

If you listen to Blind and Deliverance back-to-back, the difference in the sound should be abundantly clear to someone with your ear for music. Deliverance has a much more Southern rock/blues sound, and it's also the first album that Keenan took over as lead singer. That, combined with his similarly bluesy work in Down (see Dins' excellent link), leads me to the conclusion that he was the driving force behind the change.

I'll admit that "stoner rock" is kind of an unfortunate genre name (kind of like "hair metal"), but it seems to be the commonly accepted term for that style of music. There are probably a lot of bands playing "stoner rock" who don't even smoke weed. Torche comes to mind. Speaking of which...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nnvZ_6KyROY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nnvZ_6KyROY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"Keys, woman!"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Interesting. You attack my question instead of answering it.

So, 'stoner' rock (do the Grateful Dead count? Phish?) fans are the same peeps who enjoy Burning Man?

Fascinating. Well, if you enjoy it, then go for it.

For the record, I'm aware of the difference in their sound between the albums. Was just curious if you too were cognicant.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BCO, Stryper's touring. You fired up?
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Screw_Michigan wrote:BCO, Stryper's touring. You fired up?
Never seen. Never shall. Am glad, however, that you are looking forward to the show. Let us know how it is.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Yes, I'm sure this take by PSU was completely random:
PSUFAN wrote:Fukkin' GREAT. Will BCO still be able to post threads about Stryper and shit like that?
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

battery chucka' one wrote:Interesting. You attack my question instead of answering it.

So, 'stoner' rock (do the Grateful Dead count? Phish?) fans are the same peeps who enjoy Burning Man?
How did I "attack" your question, exactly? You're fishing for a flame war where there's no smoke, my friend. I'm not going to write a Van-style dissertation on stoner rock. I explained it fairly succinctly in a couple sentences and told you where you can read more.

I'm not sure how you would come up with the Grateful Dead, Phish or Burning Man based on that description, though. You did actually read my answer, right? It wasn't that long. Let me know if there were any big words that confused you...
"Keys, woman!"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Interesting. You attack my question instead of answering it.

How did I "attack" your question, exactly? You're fishing for a flame war where there's no smoke, my friend. I'm not going to write a Van-style dissertation on stoner rock. I explained it fairly succinctly in a couple sentences and told you where you can read more.

I'm not sure how you would come up with the Grateful Dead, Phish or Burning Man based on that description, though. You did actually read my answer, right? It wasn't that long. Let me know if there were any big words that confused you...
You mention stoner and don't expect the Dead to come up? You mention the California desert and don't think that Burning Man will be discussed? Fascinating. Sheerly fascinating.

Yes, I read the meandering claptrap that passed for your answer. Am stil digesting it somewhat. Will get back to you on it.

I'm curious as to the origination of the term 'stoner' rock as 'hair metal' was obviously a pejorative invented by critics and music snobs which was accepted by the scene as a term. From whence was 'stoner' rock derived?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

That's pretty much what I thought. You stopped reading after the word "stoner." Calling the Dead stoner rock makes about as much sense as calling Deicide or Rotting Christ "hair metal," because, hey, they play metal and they have hair, right?

Screw it. Let's go with your definition. Anyone who plays music and has used drugs is "stoner rock." Your "genre" now encompasses about 80% of popular music. All hail Mötley Crüe, the new kings of stoner rock.
"Keys, woman!"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:That's pretty much what I thought. You stopped reading after the word "stoner." Calling the Dead stoner rock makes about as much sense as calling Deicide or Rotting Christ "hair metal," because, hey, they play metal and they have hair, right?

Screw it. Let's go with your definition. Anyone who plays music and has used drugs is "stoner rock." Your "genre" now encompasses about 80% of popular music. All hail Mötley Crüe, the new kings of stoner rock.
Astounding. Truly astounding. I am trying to enter into discussion to understand better this 'stoner' music and you are getting upset. Very fascinating. Of course, you aren't recognizing that the Dead and Phish are actually known by their fans for being bands whose existence heavily relies on the drug subculture. In fact, in this article on 'stoner rock', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_roc ... 931980s.29 it even describes the Grateful Dead as being a heavy influence on the 'genre'. Yet you wholly disassociate yourself and your 'stoner rock' with the band. Very fascinating. Extremely curious.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:Astounding. Truly astounding. I am trying to enter into discussion to understand better this 'stoner' music and you are getting upset. Very fascinating. Of course, you aren't recognizing that the Dead and Phish are actually known by their fans for being bands whose existence heavily relies on the drug subculture. In fact, in this article on 'stoner rock', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_roc ... 931980s.29 it even describes the Grateful Dead as being a heavy influence on the 'genre'. Yet you wholly disassociate yourself and your 'stoner rock' with the band. Very fascinating. Extremely curious.
Holy crap you're an idiot BCO. Not only do you make no sense but you cite as evidence supporting your position an article on Wikipedia that does nothing but DESTROY everything you've just posted. Dude, people smoke weed while listening to Hank Williams Jr. Does that mean Bocephus is a stoner rock artist? Shit, people smoke weed and listen to Beethoven. Must mean the 9th Symphony is the stoner rock magnum opus. With the wide net you're casting, one could even call Ethel Merman and Louis Armstrong "stoner rock" so long as a group of their fans burned some THC before a show.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Does that make MGMT "Anal Lube Rock"?

I would think so.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

It's 4:20 somewhere...

"Keys, woman!"
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

^^^^^^^
finally, someone in this thread "gets it"

Nice Sabbath vibe. 8)
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

BSmack wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Astounding. Truly astounding. I am trying to enter into discussion to understand better this 'stoner' music and you are getting upset. Very fascinating. Of course, you aren't recognizing that the Dead and Phish are actually known by their fans for being bands whose existence heavily relies on the drug subculture. In fact, in this article on 'stoner rock', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_roc ... 931980s.29 it even describes the Grateful Dead as being a heavy influence on the 'genre'. Yet you wholly disassociate yourself and your 'stoner rock' with the band. Very fascinating. Extremely curious.
Holy crap you're an idiot BCO. Not only do you make no sense but you cite as evidence supporting your position an article on Wikipedia that does nothing but DESTROY everything you've just posted. Dude, people smoke weed while listening to Hank Williams Jr. Does that mean Bocephus is a stoner rock artist? Shit, people smoke weed and listen to Beethoven. Must mean the 9th Symphony is the stoner rock magnum opus. With the wide net you're casting, one could even call Ethel Merman and Louis Armstrong "stoner rock" so long as a group of their fans burned some THC before a show.
You really shouldn't ever post. Just sayin'.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:You really shouldn't ever post. Just sayin'.
I think I'll roll one and listen to "The Stars & Stripes Forever". I guess that makes John Philip Sousa marches "stoner rock".
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown