Socal Quake

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Socal Quake

Post by socal »

Preliminary 5.0 centered near Inglewood.

Just some Lakers fans turning over some cars.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Socal Quake

Post by Mikey »

My house fell down and my family is all dead.

But I'm OK.

At least we're not AP.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

I bet it was the fucking fury that is VagRussian.
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Mikey wrote:
At least we're not AP.

Didn't you meet AP at some point.... and make love to him ?

Or did you just meet him for a burger and make love to him later ?

You slow Cal's are a funny bunch....
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Dallas just had a 4.3 or 3.4, something like that on Sunday. What magnitude do they have to be before you feel them? What magnitude before they start breaking shit?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

.m2 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
At least we're not AP.

Didn't you meet AP at some point.... and make love to him ?

Or did you just meet him for a burger and make love to him later ?
I've seen MPoof start down some strange paths before...but suggesting homoerotic interludes - unprompted - for Mikey and AP is a new one. KN will be digging for his prostate down in TROTS before too long.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Left Seater wrote:Dallas just had a 4.3 or 3.4, something like that on Sunday. What magnitude do they have to be before you feel them? What magnitude before they start breaking shit?
Depends on a few factors - how far you are from the epicenter, the duration, the depth within the Earth, the "nature" of the quake (rolling, shaking, bouncing, etc.). Richter scale magnitude doesn't really tell you much.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

It does, if it's a 7.0. Rolling, shaking, whatever. If you're anywhere near the epicenter of a 7.0, shit is breaking.

Lefty, pretty much, it's gotta be in the high 5s or low 6s before Californians even give a crap. Otherwise, it's just a little news blurb for the bubble headed bleach blonde to interject, in between the story of Lindsay Lohan escaping rehab and some other little story about our state's power getting shut off.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Van wrote:Lefty, pretty much, it's gotta be in the high 5s or low 6s before Californians even give a crap. Otherwise, it's just a little news blurb for the bubble headed bleach blonde to interject, in between the story of Lindsay Lohan escaping rehab and some other little story about our state's power getting shut off.

....and THAT folks pretty much nails it dead-center.
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Van wrote:It does, if it's a 7.0. Rolling, shaking, whatever. If you're anywhere near the epicenter of a 7.0, shit is breaking.
I was gonna add something like that using ~6.5, but figured fuggit. If you're near the epicenter, a 4.5 could be causin' shit to break. Conversely, if the the epicenter of a magnitude 7 quake is out in the uninhabited desert, there may be little to no damage in populated areas surrounding it. I've experienced quakes that felt like a paint can shaker (Northridge), and some that felt like a waterbed (most of the others).
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The San Fernando quake in '71, fuck, that one felt like Friday night.

-Sissycrown.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Van wrote:The San Fernando quake in '71, fuck, that one felt like Friday night.

-Sissycrown.
Yep, I remember it. It leveled (or at least seriously fucked up) the VA Hospital in LA. It struck about 6:00 am, if I recall correctly. I thought my mom was trying to wake me up for school by grabbing the footpost of my bed and shaking it. Pretty violent, that one. (The quake, not mom.)

Tom Waits
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I lived in Sherman Oaks in '71, just a few miles from the epicenter. It knocked me out of my bunk bed, but it didn't even wake my brother.

That '71 quake definitely felt bigger than the Northridge quake, but then again I was in Port Hueneme for the Northridge quake. I missed being there in Northridge, by half a day. The quake was in the early morning, and I'd been down in the Northridge Mall the previous day.

The '71 quake was bigger, though, wasn't it?

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I was in Anaheim for the '71 Sylmar quake (6.6) and in Ventura for the Northridge quake (6.7). Those were the two most violent ones I've felt. Their epicenters were nearly co-located: Sylmar - 34°24′58″N 118°22′12″W, Northridge - 34°12′47″N 118°32′13″W

Tom Waits
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The Northridge quake gave us a pretty good shake all the way down in San Diego.

I realize that everybody here knows this already, but the Richter is a logrithmic scale.

A 6.0 is 10 times as powerful as a 5.0. 7.0 is 100 times as powerful.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote:I realize that everybody here knows this already, but the Richter is a logrithmic scale.

Hence the use of the term magnitude to describe them.

Tom Waits
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Hmmm, I thought the Sylmar quake was bigger than that. IIRC, wasn't it graded down at some point, from its original 7.1, or something like that?

Coulda swore it was in the 7s, at one point. Oh well, it was fun.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Mikey wrote:I realize that everybody here knows this already, but the Richter is a logrithmic scale.

The term magnitude does not, in itself, imply a logarithmic scale.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote:The term magnitude does not, in itself, imply a logarithmic scale.
True, but an order of magnitude is commonly used to refer to ten times the reference measurement.

Tom Waits
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Mikey wrote:The term magnitude does not, in itself, imply a logarithmic scale.
True, but an order of magnitude is commonly used to refer to ten times the reference measurement.
That's also true, but I think that the "order" part there is as important to the sense of the term as the "magnitude" part.

Magnitude is, most generally, a quantitative and comparative measure usually expressed as a multiple of a standard unit. In the case of "orders of magnitude" the standard unit is admittedly a power of 10, but magnitude can equally be applied in a linear scale.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Van wrote:I lived in Sherman Oaks in '71, just a few miles from the epicenter. It knocked me out of my bunk bed, but it didn't even wake my brother.
:lol:

Same here. I thought he was shaking the bed to wake me. Then the sight of the dresser drawers bouncing across the floor made me realize it wasn't him.

Scared the shit out of my mom. Dad was already on the road the work. She thought it was Armageddon. Herded us into the living room, shoved a rosary in our hands, and prayed a decade or twenty.

It's all about proximity, the type of waves, and the type of structure you're holed up in.
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Get back to me.... when you actually go through a "real" earthquake.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hxTbqMH7-M&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hxTbqMH7-M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

the truth
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
ADAM
still pays, but gets no sex anymore

Post by ADAM »

Sucks to be a Cali.....

I"ll take a hurricane over an earthquake any day.....

I went through Hurricane Andrew back in 92, What a motherfucker!
The only right answer to a fool is silence
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

.m2 wrote:Get back to me.... when you actually go through a "real" earthquake.

the truth
:meds: I was outside on the tennis courts at my complex in Mountain View when I was stationed at NAS Moffett Field when it hit. It sounded like a train going down the tracks then it was either a bouncing or rolling thing. I looked at the apartment buildings swaying and hearing glass break and some screaming... It was so bad I went to the net to hold in order to keep my balance.

After it was over I resumed playing tennis as the damage was already done. About 45 minutes later a neighbor walks by the court and asks if I've seen my place yet. I said whatever is broke is broke, and I might as well keep playing. She looked stunned that I didn't give a shit.

I couldn't get in through door as the door frame shifted to where I couldn't get in, so I climbed over the fence to get in through the porch sliding glass door. I was expecting my new Mitsubishi TV to have face planted, but it was my Marshall JCM 800 head and Digitech DSP-128 that took the fall. The Marshall was fine but I had to send the DSP-128 back to Utah to have it repaired. They upgraded it to a DSP-256. No other damage noted. My neighbor across the way was my Pensacola roomate and his place was trashed.

The thing that sucked the worst was I was on the Ready Alert crew. Since the phones were down or jammed, I had to drive to the base a few miles north as I lived off the 85 and El Camino Real intersection. I watched the World Series after all.

Ain't that cool Van? Somehow I could make this into a semi-musician take.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Atomic Punk wrote: It was so bad I went to the net to hold in order to keep my balance.
We know. You have a long history of using "the net" as a crutch.

:P
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

Hayward, drunk, watching the series.

Pussies couldn't even finish.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Smackie Chan wrote:

The Richter scale measures Amplitude, not "magnitude" and certainly not "power." The "power" of a quake is measured in a 3/2 scale to it's amplitude. That means a 6 is almost 32 times more "powerful" than a 5 and a 7 is 1000 times more "powerful" than the same 5.

You two are about as helpful on this subject as a couple of fuzzy dice swinging from a mirror.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Moving Sale wrote:
Smackie Chan wrote:

The Richter scale measures Amplitude, not "magnitude" and certainly not "power." The "power" of a quake is measured in a 3/2 scale to it's amplitude. That means a 6 is almost 32 times more "powerful" than a 5 and a 7 is 1000 times more "powerful" than the same 5.

You two are about as helpful on this subject as a couple of fuzzy dice swinging from a mirror.
Took you more than 12 hours to wiki "Richter" and you still didn't get it right?

Nice try dipshit.

And while we're at it, since you're the local champion of anal retentiveness, go back to high school and learn when and when not to use apostrophes, mmmmkay?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Mikey wrote: Took you more than 12 hours to wiki "Richter"
No. I had not been on the net since last week.
and you still didn't get it right?
So you KNOW I got it from wiki? How? Because it wrong? Step on your own dick much?
Nice try dipshit.
Enlighten me you fucking dipshit.
since you're the local champion of anal retentiveness
So now I'M in charge of your smack? You wouldn't have done it but I made you? Please pull your head out of your ass before you post again.