Is it safe to start believing in the Nuggets?

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Is it safe to start believing in the Nuggets?

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

-Currently tied with SA for the #2 spot in the West
-Barring a huge collapse, they should at least have home court in the 1st round
-Nene is having a career year
-JR Smith has continued to improve
-Good depth with Birdman, Kleiza, Carter & Dahnte Jones
-Chauncey Billups has not only become the team leader that fans had hoped for, but he's actually averaging more PPG than Iverson is in Detroit

Despite all this, I still can't help but worry that they'll disappoint me again. Five or six 1st-round exits in a row will do that to you. I know it'd be a long shot for any team in the West to knock off the Lakers, but I'd be happy with just getting to the Western Finals and not getting swept. Just looking for some opinions from neutral observers here. Does this look like a team that's genuinely one of the 3 best teams in the West, or are they just overachieving?
"Keys, woman!"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Re: Is it safe to start believing in the Nuggets?

Wow. Great timing on this thread. I guess as not-so-neutral observers, the Nets say "Not so fast, my friend."
"Keys, woman!"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote: I know it'd be a long shot for any team in the West to knock off the Lakers

Uhh, allow me to throw you a lifeline, Mike.

Anyone with a smidgeon of hoops knowledge can see the Portland juggernaut waiting to explode. With Oden on the verge of averaging triple triples the rest of the way in; relegating Kobe & Lebron to alsoran status, Portland will cruise to the Western title and sweep any pretender from the East.

Sincerely,

Dins
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Just looking for some opinions from neutral observers here.

Well, since I'm pretty much on the record as an over-the-top homer, and you're soliciting opinions about a division rival...

I can't help you with the "neutral" part.

But... Denver is an interesting team. Not really sure what top make of them. Plenty of talent, but they seem to go a Chauncey goes.

A while back, a couple of hoops-freak buddies and I were discussing the Noogs... and we toyed with the idea that what the Nugs lose on offense without Melo in the lineup, they seem to more than get back on defense with that tattooed douche in there. They lose one of the best low-post players in the game, but seem to do a shitload better at not letting the opponent run layup drills at the other end.

Ponderous dilemma for Karl. Could be easily solved if PrimaDonna Anthony ever bothered to try and guard someone, but that doesn't seem to be his deal (and unfortunately, Blazerfans' honeymoon with their star is coming to an end, and it's starting to look like the Savior tends to cadillac on D, too -- it's a plague of the modern game).

But when the Nuggets are firing on all cylinders, and have that "team cohesiveness" thing going on, they're very competitive. I don't see a deep playoff run, though.

Speaking of the Northwest... just like last season (when it didn't matter much to the Blazers, but it does now)... what the hell is up with the schedule makers? It certainly wasn't unreasonable to think that Denver, Utah, and Portland would be battling for the division. Yet look at all of those teams' schedules, and there was way too many divisional games early in the season. It's now looking like a pattern. Am I crazy, or does it make for a much more exciting March/April when teams like Portland/Utah/Denver, or Phoenix/LA/Whoever are going at it head-to-head for their spot, rather than getting all the bigtime drama in the division out of the way early?

Sure, Portland and Denver play their last game against each other, and it certainly could be for all the marbles, but instead of playing a back-to-back H&H in Novenmber, wouldn't it have been more entertaining for not only fans of those respective teams, but NBA fans in general to get a chance to watch them go at it in April for their playoff spot? That early divisional scheduling just seems nuts to me.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
warren

Post by warren »

Dinsdale wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Just looking for some opinions from neutral observers here.

Well, since I'm pretty much on the record as an over-the-top homer, and you're soliciting opinions about a division rival...

I can't help you with the "neutral" part.

But... Denver is an interesting team. Not really sure what top make of them. Plenty of talent, but they seem to go a Chauncey goes.

A while back, a couple of hoops-freak buddies and I were discussing the Noogs... and we toyed with the idea that what the Nugs lose on offense without Melo in the lineup, they seem to more than get back on defense with that tattooed douche in there. They lose one of the best low-post players in the game, but seem to do a shitload better at not letting the opponent run layup drills at the other end.

Ponderous dilemma for Karl. Could be easily solved if PrimaDonna Anthony ever bothered to try and guard someone, but that doesn't seem to be his deal (and unfortunately, Blazerfans' honeymoon with their star is coming to an end, and it's starting to look like the Savior tends to cadillac on D, too -- it's a plague of the modern game).

But when the Nuggets are firing on all cylinders, and have that "team cohesiveness" thing going on, they're very competitive. I don't see a deep playoff run, though.

Speaking of the Northwest... just like last season (when it didn't matter much to the Blazers, but it does now)... what the hell is up with the schedule makers? It certainly wasn't unreasonable to think that Denver, Utah, and Portland would be battling for the division. Yet look at all of those teams' schedules, and there was way too many divisional games early in the season. It's now looking like a pattern. Am I crazy, or does it make for a much more exciting March/April when teams like Portland/Utah/Denver, or Phoenix/LA/Whoever are going at it head-to-head for their spot, rather than getting all the bigtime drama in the division out of the way early?

Sure, Portland and Denver play their last game against each other, and it certainly could be for all the marbles, but instead of playing a back-to-back H&H in Novenmber, wouldn't it have been more entertaining for not only fans of those respective teams, but NBA fans in general to get a chance to watch them go at it in April for their playoff spot? That early divisional scheduling just seems nuts to me.
Actually a pretty good analysis and you're spot on that they should be piling on the intra-divisional games at the end of the season, makes for a great compliment to March Madness.

Being a Rockets fan I am enthusiastic since Tracy McBaby put himself on the shelf. They played both of your guys teams well including beating the Nuggets last night on their court and coming off of a back to back.

However, if they hold true to their nature they'll choke up a first round exit, home court or not.

What sucks the most for me is that there's so much good hoops coming just around the corner and I have to go overseas for work next week.

Enjoy fukkers.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

warren wrote:Being a Rockets fan I am enthusiastic since Tracy McBaby put himself on the shelf. They played both of your guys teams well including beating the Nuggets last night on their court and coming off of a back to back.

However, if they hold true to their nature they'll choke up a first round exit, home court or not.
At least we still have 94 and 95. Damn I remember where I was at when the Rockets won the first one. I was a Sr. in high school and we were at Mr. Gattis eating pizza. Once the final seconds ticked off and the Rockets beat the Knicks, it was crazy in there.

At A&M for the second one as a freshman against the Magic. Watched the final game 4 at Wings N More with some friends. Went apeshit there. Ahh the memories of GOOD Rockets teams...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

So far, so good. I'm very impressed with the Nuggets' performance in the first two games. As a #2 seed, they're pretty much expected to win both home games, but the Hornets never even threatened down the stretch in either game. Chauncey has been flat-out money so far and the bench guys are playing great. The scary thing is, Melo hasn't even been that big of a factor yet. I know the whole "it's not a series until the home team loses" cliché, but it's got to be disheartening for the Hornets to get so thoroughly dominated in the first two games. If the Nuggets can steal Game 3 on Saturday, this will be a sweep. I think the Hornets will show up and win Game 3, but the Nuggets should take Game 4 and finish it up in Denver in 5.

Love the "MVP" chants for Chauncey too. He's nowhere close to being the league's best player, but it's hard to come up with someone more valuable to his team.
"Keys, woman!"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It was totally worth Joe Dumars dealing Chauncy for the world's biggest cancer and some cap room in 2010 to go after a player/s we have no shot at obtaining.

Sin,

Nobody
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

in the long run, it's almost never safe to believe in Denver teams.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Alright, fuck it. I believe, damnit!

Screw,
Joe Dumars must be a closet Nuggets fan. Not only did he orchestrate the Billups/Iverson deal that turned the Nuggets into bona fide contenders, but don't forget that he also took Darko Milicic with the #2 pick in the '03 draft, right before the Nuggets took Melo at #3. If the Nuggets somehow go on to win an NBA Championship with this group, they should give Joe a ring...
"Keys, woman!"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:don't forget that he also took Darko Milicic with the #2 pick in the '03 draft, right before the Nuggets took Melo at #3. If the Nuggets somehow go on to win an NBA Championship with this group, they should give Joe a ring...

Uhm... it's Joe Fucking Dumars.

They kinda named the citizenship award after him.

While he took Iverson for part of a season, it was an obvious short term money move. With the #2 pick, you're looking at someone who you want as a franchise player for the next many years, and...

Melo has SEVERE character issues. As bad as any player in the NBA.

Warna Brotha is a certified POS.

He makes gang fucking videos, for chrissake.

Ain't no way Joe was ever hitching his wagon to that.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Off-court issues or no, he's still a better pick than Darko fucking Milicic. Don't forget, Bosh and D-Wade were still on the board too.

Look I'm not bashing Joe Dumars. He's a stand-up guy and a damn good exec. But I'm pretty sure if he had those two moves to do over, Chauncey and Melo would be in Pistons unis right now.
"Keys, woman!"