Anyone up for a "Petey" MELT ???

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Anyone up for a "Petey" MELT ???

Post by Blueblood »

These guys that win all the time, everyone thinks they are so gracious, well think again. It's easy to be a saint when you are stomping on everyone, but with a little adversity their real personalities come out from Carroll not shaking hands or stomping out, it is way different when they lose or don't get their way.

I remember Old Saint Paterno one time before they joined the Big 10 and he had just been stomped badly and a camera and sound crew caught him cursing the other team on his way across the field.

Very few of these people are really nice guys.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-6-63 ... raft-.html

USC coach Pete Carroll was extremely ungracious during the Mark Sanchez press conference. He stormed out of the room and did not even sit at the table before Sanchez addressed the media. Something he never did when Matt Leinart, etc., announced their decisions.

Carroll never sat down at the table but stood with his palms on the table. His anger was clear if you spend time around him.

Not a great moment.

There's quite a bit of anger being expressed within the athletic dept. at the highest levels right now regarding Mark Sanchez's departure.

I'm getting the feeling Mark Sanchez will not be honored at any functions in the near future.

Video LINK

CAPTION ?
"A Renfair douche should NEVER offer up opinions involving BIG TIME POWER CFB, since FeKal doesn't play BIG TIME POWER anything. I apologize to the entire BTPCFB Forum for my feeble commentary."
M Club
el capitán

Re: Anyone up for a "Petey" MELT ???

Post by M Club »

you can't just jerk me off. you have to play with my balls as well.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

What a melt :meds: .

How dare a coach help a player decide his future by discussing all options when making the decision of his life to date.

How dare he tell the player how he really feels about his decision instead of lying.

Seems to me that Petey and Sanchez discussed it at length and have agreed to disagree. In life you don't always agree with your co-workers, but you still have a good working relationship with them. Kinda how you and the fellow carnies don't always see eye to eye yet the dude at the chow stand will still shoot you a turkey drumstick for free.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:Big deal. What else could he do?
There wasn't much he could have done. Sanchez waited and saw guys like Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow stay in school, so this was his best opportunity, even if he is not ready.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I'm sure it's not out of the realm of possibility either that right after the Rose Bowl, Sanchez probably told Petey that he was for sure coming back for his senior year. (In fact, in the post game iv I thought I remember Sanchez at least alluding to the fact.) And the sudden change of heart sent PC over the edge. Just my theory.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I don't think its really a melt, at all, but it is a pretty selfish play by Pete.
WolverineSteve wrote: How dare a coach help a player decide his future by discussing all options when making the decision of his life to date.

How dare he tell the player how he really feels about his decision instead of lying.

Seems to me that Petey and Sanchez discussed it at length and have agreed to disagree.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, Steve, and that's exactly where it should have been left. Between the player and the coach. But Pete went on with a 10 minute speech to the press about how Mark Sanchez wasn't ready for the NFL and would have trouble being successful.

You think that's the best thing for his draft stock, to have his college coach publicly talking about him not being ready?

Its not a melt. And there's nothing wrong with Pete disagreeing with Sanchez's choice, or even trying to talk him out of it. But what Pete is doing has the potential to hurt his draft stock, and they both know it. Its weak.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Got to agree that this is a poor play by Pete. You clearly disagree with the kids choice, but don't beat him up about it. In the end it is the kid's decision and leave it at that. Sure QB's coming out early don't have the best track record, but voice that to the kid in private.

How does this affect future recruiting? If I decided to leave early and coach disagrees then he is going to hurt my draft stock? Hmmmmm?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

WolverineSteve wrote:Seems to me that Petey and Sanchez discussed it at length and have agreed to disagree. In life you don't always agree with your co-workers, but you still have a good working relationship with them.
The difference being, Carroll acted like a bitch scorned and stormed off. Not only will Carroll and Sanchez never have the "good working relationship" you hinted at, there won't be a relationship... period. Agreeing to disagree is one thing. But walking "off the set" like Carroll did while barely even acknowledging Sanchez's presence seems a bit much. Furthermore, he could have said, "I don't agree with Mark's decision" and left it at that. No, he has to rip the dude and point out all his flaws with the cameras rolling.

For the record, I'd be very hesitant to draft Sanchez at the next level because his body of work is limited, but I doubt I'd require Carroll's tirade to make the proper decision either.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

'Spray, who never loses sight of the ball, wrote:They'll still be a lot better than pathetic Cal, though.
I agree that Pete should've just left it at "I'm thrilled for Mark Sanchez." He said it, but he didn't leave it at that.

There's no way what he said at that press conference helped Sanchez. It may not've hurt his draft ranking but it sure didn't help it either.

Pete should've taken the high road, and stayed there.

Pete was obviously very disappointed and more than a little pissed. I got the feeling that he felt betrayed. Maybe he had reason to feel that way too. Maybe Sanchez led him to believe he was staying and then up and changed his mind the day before the announcement.

Whatever. Pete didn't do himself or Sanchez any favors there. If I'm a recruit that whole scene would've bothered me.

If I'm a recruit though I'm sure Pete's enough of a salesman and he's so passionate that he'd easily be able to smooth things over with me so in that sense it's probably much ado about nothing.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Maybe there was more than a coach-player relationship going on there. Dirty Sanchez much?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

pretty jerkoff move for Petey

That was Marks press conference, his day, yet Petey had to act like a whiny cunt and steal all of the press.

He should of talked to Mark before hand, or if not man enough to handle the situation, have his QB coach handle the press conference. Petey made it about himself. Biggest jerkoff move by any coach in recent times.

Why not just tell the NFL scouts, you think he's a 3rd rounder at best, and also tel lthem his weaknesses, and let opposing teams know, you will give them reports on how to stop him :meds: :meds: Looks like Mustain isnt ready, and Petey has no one to step in. He's playing the spoiled, rotten cunt here.

I don't think anyone will side with petey on this one, he really comes out like an asshat. very surprising, never thought he would play that role, ok, maybe behind closed doors, but never try to sabotage one of his former players.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Adelpiero wrote:pretty jerkoff move for Petey

That was Marks press conference, his day, yet Petey had to act like a whiny cunt and steal all of the press.

He should of talked to Mark before hand, or if not man enough to handle the situation, have his QB coach handle the press conference. Petey made it about himself. Biggest jerkoff move by any coach in recent times.

Why not just tell the NFL scouts, you think he's a 3rd rounder at best, and also tel lthem his weaknesses, and let opposing teams know, you will give them reports on how to stop him :meds: :meds: Looks like Mustain isnt ready, and Petey has no one to step in. He's playing the spoiled, rotten cunt here.

I don't think anyone will side with petey on this one, he really comes out like an asshat. very surprising, never thought he would play that role, ok, maybe behind closed doors, but never try to sabotage one of his former players.
i agree with all this. Petey in the past, if anything, is a front-stage good guy. back-stage, who knows? and this is petulant stuff. as a teacher myself, it's sad ass shit when you start seeing your young people in terms of how they reflect on you. not the greatest comparison (me and Carroll), i admit, but shitting on a 20 year old on national TV is weak.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

Adelpiero wrote:

Why not just tell the NFL scouts, you think he's a 3rd rounder at best,

Trust me, this has been going on for years with Petey. Most PAC 10 fans know his act well and I just wanted to bring this to the attention of other College Football fans before it hit the mainstream media.

I knew it would get national attention, since it involved a star qb at $C going against Petey's wishes.

Pete Carroll puts himself first, even if it means lying to his players. Observe how he reacted about Mark Sanchez. He talked Matt Leinart into staying, even though Leinart was a 1st round pick.

He flat out lied to Lofa T. Carroll told him he wouldn't go in the first three rounds and then wouldn't speak to him when he found out Lofa was leaving.

Result: Lofa T. goes in the 2nd round and makes Pro Bowl in first year.

Same thing with Udeze.
"A Renfair douche should NEVER offer up opinions involving BIG TIME POWER CFB, since FeKal doesn't play BIG TIME POWER anything. I apologize to the entire BTPCFB Forum for my feeble commentary."
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Got to say at this point I will be much more of a Sanchez fan. Here's hoping the kid gets drafted high, does well, ends up in a few pro bowls and wins playoff games.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

m2 wrote:Trust me,
Okay, I laughed. Look, m2, you know I'm one of the few people here who enjoys your act. I actually like you, which seems to place me in the minority opinion 'round these parts. So, that being the case, you gotta admit that at this point asking people here to trust you is pretty fucking funny.
this has been going on for years with Petey.
Oh really? Link? Loads of other examples you can link us to, right?
Most PAC 10 fans know his act well and I just wanted to bring this to the attention of other College Football fans before it hit the mainstream media.
Most Pac 10 fans know he's the best coach in the conference. Most Pac 10 fans know his players love him. Most Pac 10 fans see Pete as being very much a "player's coach" and a guy who genuinely cares about his players and their families.

Most Pac 10 fans here know that you live to take potshots at USC, and that you're not above tossing out any shit possible in the hopes that maybe even a little of it might stick.

There is no track record of this sort of behavior from Pete. If there were it wouldn't be such news right now. This is very obviously a unique situation and if you read the entire transcript of the press conference and if you watched the entire press conference you'll see that by and large Pete said and did all the right things anyway.

About the only things that were unusual were his comments about the "below 50/50 success rate" of QBs who come out early and the fact that Pete mostly stood at the table rather than sitting down. Then he quickly bailed, offering Sanchez just a small pat and a "good luck."

Lost in all this is the fact that Pete also said Sanchez will "kick ass, because that's what Mark Sanchez does."

The bottom line here is there's no pattern of this type of behavior from Pete. Pete is well known for supporting his players who leave early. Players wouldn't keep coming to play for him and they wouldn't keep consulting with him about their NFL decisions if Pete had a reputation for fucking kids over for selfish reasons.

That kind of crap would get around in a big hurry.
I knew it would get national attention, since it involved a star qb at $C going against Petey's wishes.
A regular Kreskin, you are. Took a real genius to realize this would make for a newsworthy story.
Pete Carroll puts himself first, even if it means lying to his players.
Yeah, you'll be able to support that one with facts.

:lol:
Observe how he reacted about Mark Sanchez.
Rightfully concerned for the kid's future? Rightfully worried the kid is making a mistake? Maybe even a little pissed too?

Shocking! Pete is Josef Mengele!
He talked Matt Leinart into staying, even though Leinart was a 1st round pick.
:meds:

Link?
He flat out lied to Lofa T.
:broken record:

Link?
Carroll told him he wouldn't go in the first three rounds and then wouldn't speak to him when he found out Lofa was leaving.
Bigfoot told you this, didn't he? Or was it Lofa himself, hitting you up on your cell?
Result: Lofa T. goes in the 2nd round and makes Pro Bowl in first year.

Same thing with Udeze.
And this reflects poorly on Pete, how? Please remind us of those press conferences where Pete shat on Lofa and Udeze for coming out early. Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett...Reggie Bush, Lendale White...

Please.

Lotta USC underclassmen who've come out early under Pete Carroll. Lotta press conferences. Lotta opportunities for USC players past and present to throw Pete under the rug, if what you say is true. If it's so well known that Pete lies and shits on his underclassmen who leave early, okay, where's the evidence of it?

This deal with Sanchez is news precisely because it's so out of the ordinary for Pete. Even saying that, this whole thing is being far overblown. He didn't really say much that was even remotely negative but he sure did say a whole lot of very positive things.

He shouldn't have said anything negative, granted, but some people are blowing this way out of proportion...especially you.

Don't worry though. Cal still won't get the recruits you want and Cal still won't grow a pair.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jsc810 wrote:I was impressed with Pete C's off-field activities as shown on 60 Minutes recently.

He keeps going like that and he'll never be ready to coach in the SEC. He sticks around too long and he honors his commitments. :P
You're welcome.

:D

Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

Pete Carroll: I was mad at the podium, not Sanchez

LINK

"I was agitated because we didn't have a freakin' podium," Carroll said. "They were supposed to have a freakin' podium. I wasn't mad at Mark."

I love it. The more he is spinning, the more he looks like an idiot.

Best part in the article...
"That stormy scene was a follow-up to an animated meeting at Sanchez's apartment that started Wednesday night and ended around 1 a.m. Thursday morning. Carroll told Sanchez he was foolish and copping out for going pro."

Ouch....

Whine on, Petey!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

That bit about Sanchez's dad being against Mark's decision, that was surprising. Surprised Sanchez went against not only the advice of Taylor Mays, Pete Carroll and, apparently, the voices of the NFL, but even that of his own dad.

Who knows how Leinart, Cassell, Booty and Palmer advised him on this one but it seems apparent that Sanchez must just be really anxious to get to the next level.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Wolff never gets anything right, Carroll was in Hawaii Wednesday and didnt arrive in Los Angeles until after 9 am Thursday morning.

HCPC saw that the scouting report wasnt a good one and thought his qb was making a mistake by going against what the scouting report had said. He wants what is best for the kid, he has been supportive when other players have left early, he is just worried that Mark will hurt himself in the long run.
He was likely counting on a player like Sanchez to help the learning curve of the new offense with the rest of the team, doesnt matter USC will still go to Berkley and beat Cal again.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I like Mark Sanchez' chances of becoming a successful NFL quarterback if for no other reason than he was never coached by Jeff Tedford.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Papa Willie wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:Wolff never gets anything right, Carroll was in Hawaii Wednesday and didnt arrive in Los Angeles until after 9 am Thursday morning.
Oh - are you pulling the "jet lag" theory here?
Just pointing out that if one part of Wolffs article is incorrect, you must assume that it is all incorrect.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Here is a recent article that discusses PC and how he had some questionable attitudes towards a departing player.

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2008/ ... olling.htm
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lame fluff piece written by a Big 10 honk with an axe to grind. No supporting evidence either. That author has no idea whether Pete tried to talk Chilo Rachal back and he has no idea why Rachal played guard instead of tackle, etc. The author just throws out scurrilous accusations. He also makes an enormous leap of faith assumption that Leinart came back because Pete "talked him into it."

I think it's probably safe to assume that Leinart's teammates and his girlfriend and his whole network of friends and family also had input into Leinart's decision.

The bottom line though is that in this Sanchez instance Pete could've handled that press conference better. If it should turn out that Sanchez does in fact go in the Top 5 picks then Pete was not just wrong in how he handled the press conference but also in the advice he gave Sanchez.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

For all we or anybody knows Sanchez did give a lot of credibility to what Pete told him and still he decided to go to the NFL anyway.

From all accounts Sanchez is close to his dad and he clearly respects his dad. His dad obviously wasn't approaching it from a selfish standpoint when he advised his son to stay for his senior season.

Sanchez still chose to come out early, even over the advice of his own father.

Seems to me like Sanchez just had an itch and nothing but going to the NFL would scratch it. That's what Mark himself said as his reason for coming out and there's really no reason not to take the guy at his word.

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mace wrote:I don't pretend to know what went through the mind of Mark Sanchez as he weighed his decision, or of knowing what his father actually said to him, but I do know that Pete Carroll looked like a fool at the press conference listing all of the reasons that Sanchez is not ready for the NFL and why he should stay at USC.....and his actions will be "wrong" whether Sanchez is a top 5 pick or not. The kid made up his mind and deserved the total support of his coach once the decision was made. Sanchez didn't get that and it made Pete look like a selfish little whiner.
When Mace is right, he's right. And Dinsdale weeps.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mace, there's no doubt Pete's actions at the press conference were wrong. (People are now exaggerating what he actually said and did but he was still wrong in what he actually said and did.) My point about whether or not Sanchez ends up being a Top 5 pick has to do with whether or not Pete's advice was wrong, not his actions at the press conference.

If Sanchez goes in the Top 5 picks then Pete was clearly wrong in advising him to stick around. If Sanchez falls to the second round or even if he's a middle or late first rounder then Pete was correct (purely in a football sense and in a contract sense) in advising him to stay one more year.

Either way though, yep, Pete mishandled the press conference and yep, he'll likely never do anything like that again.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Agreed.

I bet if Pete had it to do over again he would just do what he'd always done before: say and do all the right things and otherwise keep his mouth shut and leave it at that.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Pete Carroll and USC spend an awful lot of money with professional scouts and ex NFL management to grade and assess all USC players starting from their third year at the school. Sanchez has been going through that program for 2 seasons now and apparently that program didnt grade him very well. Pete is concerned for his player and that his player may be making a huge mistake, even Sanchez's own father agreed with Pete. Pete said he disagreed with Marks decision and his anger was likely pointed at those who were giving Mark advice contrary to what the scouts and and NFL management involved in the program USC puts their players in was. Pete has been more than supportive of underclassmen leaving when they have graded well, that just isnt the case in this situation.
Leinart stayed because he had to have elbow surgery and wouldnt be able to throw at the combine, pro day or for any private workouts and anyone who suggests he stayed for any reason other than that is a moron who obviously doesn't know what was going on and likely has a grudge or agenda against USC, HCPC and/or Leinart, Matt had no choice but to stay.