Screw it...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Screw it...

Post by Van »

Susan's in the hospital and she's pretty much circling the drain these days. Despite what dumbasses like Adel spew she's the reason I quit posting on message boards a couple years ago. (Yep, it's been over two years since I last posted.) Nothing I can really do for her now though. It'll just have to play itself out, over however much time it takes. A year or two? A few years? Some miraculous recovery to health?

Who knows?

At the moment she's got bigger fish to fry so she rightfully doesn't give a crap what I do with my free time and really neither do I. I guess I've decided enough's enough. Since I'm still PM-ing with some of you and I've even done a little of the Chat thing recently I may as well break down and post again too.

Ahh, college fucking football...

Someone explain to me how something called a Trojan managed to get beaten again by something called a Beaver. Seems physiologically impossible to me since one is literally designed to pummel the other.

Oh well.

Once again D1 CF crowns another "champion," through nothing more than what 88 correctly describes as an arbitrary beauty pageant. What with USC, Utah and Texas still sitting there does anyone in their right mind truly believe last night's sloppy, error filled game represented anything like a real championship game?

(Excluding Jsc, of course. Great guy and everything but his self serving devotion to the farce that is the "crystal trophy" is all too wildly transparent. As long as an SEC team keeps getting chosen to play in the game he'll continue to stress its finite importance. I guess the fact that in all three of these past seasons the SEC could've easily been absent from the game in lieu of some other team with an equal or better record will always remain a point to be conveniently ignored. Nope, nobody but the SEC representative could've beaten OSU, OSU again and now OU.)

But I digress...

Jesus, how difficult is this, NCAA?

-Take your top eight teams, according to the final regular season rankings. No conference tie ins and no automatic bids for anybody. Just the top eight teams.

-Seed them one through eight and have them play each other in the four major BCS bowl games. No conference tie ins here either and ALL FOUR GAMES would be played on January 1st, the way God and most of our work schedules intended. Make New Year's Day special again and make those big bowl games games really matter again, the way they used to really matter. No more half filled Orange Bowls, due to crappy ACC and Big Least teams receiving automatic bids to a game no one cares to watch. No more Consolation Bowls, where a USC is stuck playing a three loss Illinois team.

No more meaningless exhibition games masquerading as important games. The four BCS bowl games will again be HUGE, they way they're supposed to be.

-In this instance we would now have Utah, USC, Texas and Florida still standing.

-Two semi final games the following week, with their locations to be rotated annually, in the same way the BCS Title Game is now rotated annually among the four BCS bowl game locales. Again the pairings would be based on the remaining seeds.

-The title game would be nearly as big as the Super Bowl. I'd throw a sorely needed economic bone to Katrina ravaged New Orleans. I'd give the Louisiana Superdome the college football title game every year. The fans, players and media all love going to the French Quarter for a bowl game and since it's a domed stadium weather will never be a concern. New Orleans is the best locale in America for a January bowl game, other than maybe Miami.

That's what I'd do with the title game locale, but it's not a crucial component. We could simply rotate the title game locale every year, so as to not give the SEC an unfair advantage of always having the title game in their own backyard. We could stick it in Jerry Jones' new palace. Las Vegas could build a stadium and wouldn't the CF world love to hold their season ending orgy in the best place on earth to hold a bacchanal?

Whatever. Wherever. It's not that important, the locale of the title game. It's just a detail.

Since there's already one additional game played after the four BCS bowl games this system here would ony involve two extra games, total, to decide a real championship.

Moreover, no team in the history of college football who was ranked outside the top eight by the end of the reguar season ever had a realistic argument for being the national champion. So, sure, we'd still have an annual debate over which team got that final eighth seed. Big deal. That's one very small argument compared to what we have now and compared to what we had before the advent of the BCS system. The teams that are stuck arguing over that eighth seed should just count themselves lucky that they're even in the hunt. Under the current system or the pre BCS system they wouldn't get a sniff.

This isn't rocket science.

It involves only two extra games involving only four teams, so the argument that a playoff system would be too taxing on the "student athletes" is ridiculous.

The other argument always tossed around, the one that says any sort of playoffs would diminish the importance of the regular season (try selling the "importance of the regular season" argument to Texas and Utah right about now), that one is also moot. This system makes the regular season more important since it affords eight teams a chance at the whole enchilada, rather than just two. It's still based on the season ending rankings.

This system not only retains the all important and much cherished bowl games, it elevates the importance of those very bowl games. No longer will we see SEC teams or OU teams having the fall back rationale of "We don't give a crap about this game! We hate this match up! It's a lose-lose situation for us!" as an excuse for not being fired up for their BCS bowl game.

This system also gives non BCS conference teams like Utah a real fighting chance to win it all, which simply is not the case right now.

Finally, it removes the stigma of D1 CF being the only major team sport in America (college or pro) that doesn't actually determine its champion on the field.

Considering the alternative, there is no sound argument against this system. Whatever little detail flaws that might need to be worked out, fine, work 'em out. The end result is still worlds better than what we have, and what we used to have. There's no way it isn't, not unless you're simply a fan of Olympic figure skating judges and other overtly biased beauty pageant style methods of determining champions.

Jim Delany must die. In the most perfect of beautiful ironies I hope a recently paroled and utterly insane Maurice Clarett randomly breaks into Delany's house looking for crack money. If there's any justice at all he'll tie Delany to a radiator and he'll light the place on fire before he makes his escape in a stolen Pontiac, leaving Delany to burn to a mealy mouthed crisp. In a fitting final moment before he descends into hell Delany's final anguished cry of "No!! No plaaaaayoffs!!" will be heard by precisely...nobody.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Screw_Michigan

Re: Screw it...

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sorry to hear about your woman, Van, but I figured you left because you were tired of getting your ass kicked up and down these hallowed forums. And the Bannie in New Mexico jokes.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Oh, and while I'm venting...

-Mandatory 6-6 home-away schedules. The playing field in CF needs to be leveled before we'll even begin to have any chance at accurately comparing resumes. 6-6 schedules will force teams to only schedule other D1 teams since there's no way Georgia will go play a road game against Coastal Carolina. Nope, they'll have to call Maryland or Oregon or Wisconsin.

The only exceptions would be to allow for neutral site traditional rivalry games like the RRS and the Cocktail Party.

-No games between D1 and D1-AA, period. Sure, the Oakland A's occasionally play the AAA Sacramento River Cats but the games don't count in the American League standings.

If you play a D1-AA team you're excluded from BCS bowl eligibility. That'll learn ya'.

-Conference championship games are only to be played when they're necessary to break a tie in the conference standings.

If undefeated Texas wins the Big XII South and the Big XII North winner is a four loss Colorado team which already lost to Texas that season then we dispense with the CCG. No need for such a farce.

If 11-1 (8-0 in the SEC) SEC West winner LSU beat 11-1 SEC East winner Tennessee (7-1 in the SEC) during the regular season then we dispense with the CCG. No need for such a farce.

If 11-1 (7-1 in the Big XII) Big XII South winner OU already beat 11-1 (7-1 in the Big XII) Big XII North winner Mizzou during the regular season then we dispense with the CCG. No need for such a farce.

You only have a CCG when you have two teams from different divisions who didn't play each other during the regular season end the season with equal conference records. That's it. There's no other need for a CCG. Otherwise, CCGs afford some teams an unfair advantage. They get to pick up an extra "quality win" in a game that shouldn't have even been played; a game teams from some other conferences don't and shouldn't play. (Obviously the ten team Pac 10 with its 9 game conference schedule has no need for a CCG. Everything gets settled during the regular season.)

CCGs also offer teams unnecessary risks. They're forced to play a game which can only hurt them, such as the '05 Texas team. That Texas team stood nothing to gain in playing a dogshit Colorado team a second time, but they sure risked something in playing that game.

Cash grab motivations aside, this one's very simple. No CCGs unless they're to break a legitimate conference tie.
Last edited by Van on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Sorry to hear about your woman, I work in health care and unfortunately get to see way too much of this.

Shit, maybe Obama can get something done about a playoff. It is just flat-out wrong that USC, Utah, and Texas didn't get the opportunity to play for it all.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mace, even where the plotting of Delany's death is concerned I don't think mine is too original of a take. I'm pretty sure Mgo already covered it.

"Jim Delany must die" is either a sig I've already seen before or it's something I've seen written before that I felt would make for a great sig.

The one thing I'm mentioning that I haven't seen discussed much before is the idea of giving New Orleans the title game on a permanent basis. Also, most of the 8 team playoffs talk I've seen has centered around giving the 6 BCS conference champions automatic bids, with two additonal At Large bids, which I think is a huge mistake.

No automatic bids. Top eight seeds, period, regardless of whether four of them come from one conference and three more are from non BCS conferences. However it falls, that's how it goes.

S_M, you'll need to link me to where I "got my ass kicked all up and down these hallowed forums," since no such thing ever happened. As for Annie, I haven't spoken with her in years and I stopped speaking to her long before I bailed on posting on message boards.

I did grow tired though of the ceaseless and pointless name calling on these boards, so I guess you're somewhat on the right track there. That's the main reason why towards the end there I ended up mostly sticking to this CF forum, where people tend to be more civil and reasonable in their discussions. I didn't really feel like spending any more of my time engaging in juvenile name calling.

The only issue I ever had here was with people mistakenly lumping me in with "Trojan band wagon" types. I've followed USC football since 1972 and I'd been consistently posting about CF and USC on these boards since at least '99. Didn't matter that there were people here who could and did vouch for this; those facts were always conveniently lost in the rush to label any USC fan besides Meds and Greg a Johnny Come Lately fan.

That's pretty much it.
Last edited by Van on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Van wrote:S_M, you'll need to link me to where I "got my ass kicked all up and down these hallowed forums," since no such thing ever happened.
Don't you remember your legendary "T1B Hall of Famer" reach-around thread? Jesus, even Jess the Jewfro kicked your ass there.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Wow. Didn't know about the home front issues...I'll have the Bruin-loving God nod in your direction....

Nobody but the tragically stupid could argue your thoughts....they are too busy running college football....

Welcome back - your scrotum faithful need some cpr up in here.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Jsc810 wrote:
Van wrote:Once again D1 CF crowns another "champion," through nothing more than what 88 correctly describes as an arbitrary beauty pageant. What with USC, Utah and Texas still sitting there does anyone in their right mind truly believe last night's sloppy, error filled game represented anything like a real championship game?

(Excluding Jsc, of course. Great guy and everything but his self serving devotion to the farce that is the "crystal trophy" is all too wildly transparent. As long as an SEC team keeps getting chosen to play in the game he'll continue to stress its finite importance. I guess the fact that in all three of these past seasons the SEC could've easily been absent from the game in lieu of some other team with an equal or better record will always remain a point to be conveniently ignored. Nope, nobody but the SEC representative could've beaten OSU, OSU again and now OU.)
I would much prefer a playoff system.

But we don't have one now, we have the BCS. Even though I don't like it, these are the rules we currently play by. Per those rules, the winner of the championship game is the MYTHICAL champion. That's the way it is.

FTFY-NC
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Papa Willie wrote:Why don't the SEC teams just start playing Washington, Washington State, Stanford, Cal & the Arizonas?
They already do. The SEC just calls 'em Missippippi St, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc.

Some of the names change from year to year but in any given year both conferences have fully a third of their teams being total dogshit. In any given year an SEC team usually faces only two to three truly tough games, same as any other team in any other conference. The bottom feeders face more tough games, because they're bottom feeders. Every game is tough for a bottom feeder.

The teams at the top? Two to three tough games, that's it. The rest is pure helmet-ocity and bogus records and rankings built on the backs of bogus scheduling.

A perfect example is Bama. Despite the helmet-ocity of the SEC this year's Bama team had precisely one quality win the entire season. Utah's quality win came against a higher ranked team than Bama's, and so were those of Texas, USC and PSU.

Then we saw what Utah did to Bama.

The difference is in those four OOC games, where SEC teams often schedule four home game scrimmages (usually a minimum of three) that they somehow get to count as "bowl eligible" padding wins. The Pac 10 only gets three OOC games and nearly without exception Pac 10 teams schedule more ambitiously than any other BCS conference.

Btw, Susan still thinks you're the craziest person she ever heard of on thse boards. She happened to walk by my 'puter screen the other day, as I was reading this board. She noticed your "boy getting butt splattered" avatar. You know what she did? She playfully slapped ME in the head, like I did something wrong!

:mrgreen:

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

S_M, if that thread and Jess's feeble attempt at standing up for himself is your idea of my getting hammered all over multiple forums then I rest my case.

You've got nothing, but then we both already knew that.

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Van wrote:-Take your top eight teams, according to the final regular season rankings.
~Click~

A "playoff" that incorporates rankings isn't a playoff at all. Rankings are the reason CFB has no true national champion. They are the problem, not part of the solution.

But at least that solves your percieved problem of USC not playing for the national title- errr, I mean, no true CF champion, right?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Jesus, even Jess the Jewfro kicked your ass there.

You're an idiot... and an ignorant one at that.

Van dropping the "I won't smack you, because you're a big enough loser that it would cause you to commit suicide in real life if I teed off on you" was easily the most brutal smack post I've ever seen in my years on these boards.

And since Vannie took ownership of Jewfro in a way that I've never seen anyone get PRWN3D, Jess can say anything he wants, and he'll forever be Van's Bitch.

I may be an asshole when I log on these boards, but I'm not sure I could ever be that big an asshole.

On topic -- I agree that until the SEC starts playing by the same rules as everyone else, they should be ineligible for the championship game. A team that plays Citadel should be tretaed as the bitch they are, and not given a free pass to the championship.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

USC could beat NFL teams on occasion? :lol:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote:Van dropping the "I won't smack you, because you're a big enough loser that it would cause you to commit suicide in real life if I teed off on you" was easily the most brutal smack post I've ever seen in my years on these boards.
If that's your definition of brutal, then you're a fucking pussy. The end.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Van dropping the "I won't smack you, because you're a big enough loser that it would cause you to commit suicide in real life if I teed off on you" was easily the most brutal smack post I've ever seen in my years on these boards.
If that's your definition of brutal, then you're a fucking pussy. The end.

When I call you "ignorant," you're supposed to dispute it, not cement it.

Guess we'll just chalk it up as "guess you had to be there"... which you obviously weren't. That's a HoF Smack Chat moment.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Degenerate wrote:
Van wrote:-Take your top eight teams, according to the final regular season rankings.
~Click~

A "playoff" that incorporates rankings isn't a playoff at all. Rankings are the reason CFB has no true national champion. They are the problem, not part of the solution.

But at least that solves your percieved problem of USC not playing for the national title- errr, I mean, no true CF champion, right?
By most lights USC (and Texas and Utah) not having a chance to play for the title is not a "perceived" problem. It's a basic common sense problem. Only Florida and OU were chosen to receive the opportunity to play for the title and there was little to no separation between OU/Florida and those other three teams. That's a real problem.

There are what, 119 D1-A teams? There's no way to do a D1-A football playoffs that wouldn't involve rankings and some sort of subjective judgments.

That being said, I'm far more comfortable with BOTH OU and Texas having a chance to play for the title than I am with Va Tech and Cincinnati getting in simply because they won lowest common denominator leagues.

Also, my point is that the system I proposed is far superior to what we currently have and what we used to have. There's no debating this. There's no way you can argue that the current system is superior and there's no way you can argue that the old system is superior.

On what planet would Florida lining up to play Utah and USC lining up to play Texas next week (with the winners to play for the title the following week) be considered a step back from what we have now?

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Best wishes to Susan. Glad to see you above ground.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Welcome back, Van.

Great timing. Where's Season Over troll?

Guess I'll have to work harder to get in your sig file.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yeah, without going all Harvey Keitel from Pulp Fiction on the guy, Dins has always had a penchant for landing in my sigs. He just has a uniquely cool way of not sugarcoating things.

Him, and Mvscal. Steve Buscemi vs Don Rickles, sorta.

Come to think of it, I'd pay good money to see Dins and Mvscal debating the topics of the day while taking turns doing shrooms, mescaline and various and sundry lines off of strippers' asses, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas style...

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dins is an utter blowhard in love with his prose

mv doesn't watch or post about CFB.

I dunno'... I've hung out awhile... near as I can tell that LB48 guy is the sharpest knife in this drawer.

I don't mind reading his story.
Last edited by War Wagon on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I'd be surprised if Mvscal doesn't at least watch a little CF. I know he doesn't post here but he seems like he's too rabid a sports fan to be completely inured to the sickness that is CF.

As for the sharp knives in the drawer are you talking all the boards or just this CF board?

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Van wrote:I'd be surprised if Mvscal doesn't at least watch a little CF. I know he doesn't post here but he seems like he's too rabid a sports fan to be completely inured to the sickness that is CF.
Losing hurts him too much.
As for the sharp knives in the drawer are you talking all the boards or just this CF board?
We call it T1B for a reason.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

War Wagon wrote:
Van wrote:I'd be surprised if Mvscal doesn't at least watch a little CF. I know he doesn't post here but he seems like he's too rabid a sports fan to be completely inured to the sickness that is CF.
Losing hurts him too much.
He's a Chargers fan. He's got one Super Bowl blow out loss to hang his hat on. I'd say he's adjusted to losing fairly well.

Or, maybe not. Maybe you're right. Maybe he's the way he is as a direct result of all the losing. Maybe mankind is paying the price for chronic Charger ineptitude?

Maybe the reason Dins actually shows the occasional glimmer of humanity is strictly down to one year's worth of joy and redemption in his life, courtesy of Maurice Lucas and the big redhead.

Or maybe it's just all the rancid 3:00am barskank ass he's eaten. Your guess is as good as mine.
We call it T1B for a reason.
Yeah, but are you talking sharp knives who only post here on the CF board? Pretty much, nobody who posts here only posts here. On the flip side there's a lotta really sharp people from the main board who never post here.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Van, not posting here must have been a real chore. You're the wordiest sumbitch ever. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Myself, I only hang at T1B.

Love it, hate it... I don't much care to go elsewhere.

Here I am and here I shall remain until the plug gets pulled.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

WW, I guess you lost me. Aren't the main board and this CF board both a part of T1B?

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Blowing Dins' pole much these days, Vannie? Disgraceful.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

S_M, write something funnier. It'll land in my sig, guaranteed.

I've had dozens of sigs over the years, including quotes from both friend and foe. I don't discriminate. Write something sig worthy, I'll give you your due.

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Somehow I missed this thread.

Van, sorry to hear about Susan.

I've got my own woes here, both personally & at work. One of these nights, I'll send you off a PM with all the details.

Good to have you back posting.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

RF, looking at that Av of yours I still can't get over how such a radio/music savvy guy like you luvs you some Mark Tremonti corporate rock.

Here, look. I know you'll hate this since there's no sang'in. Mgo and PSU will kill me over how this guy looks. B Smack will count the notes.

Don't care.

Dammit, you deserve to know about this fucker. I got 'Spray hooked on him, to the point that he finally even conceded that the guy is even better than the formerly untouchable Steve Morse. I don't expect you to "get" this guy the way a guitar player like 'Spray got him but if it'll help to ween you off of Mark Tremonti even just a little bit then I'll have accomplished a good thing here.

:mrgreen:

Behold the finest player on the planet right now, especially when you factor in unheard of versatility...

-Funk, with one of the most difficult things you'll ever see. Check out the way he exults after nailing that thing, at the 1:40 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJH1r_YSaM

-Authentic Chicken Pickin', in a humorous parody of speed metal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyRB8d7S4xc

(Believe me when I tell you that very few people on the planet can play like that at all, much less play like that whle also being able to play rock, blues, jazz, shred, etc...and do it all with impeccable feel and taste.)

-A Larry Carlton style jam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

-The most amazing and funky unrehearsed jam you may ever see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0JSCpjlXw

-"Fives": A rock/fusion piece in 5/4. The solo beginning at 1:45 is just stunning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik

-Everything but the kitchen sink, including some classical and one of the rare times I've ever seen him make anything like a couple of "mistakes." This one's funny because at one point the video briefly lags behind the audio, making it look like an Ashlee Simpson lip synching moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=572wB3YS3xg

-Straight ahead aggressive blues, with a Suhr Tele...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24IfgmWz2Y

-Rip your head off blues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL0xH8tM ... re=channel

-Slow, smooth ES335 blues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TINt-TjU ... re=channel

-Drivin' blues, including some bizarre finger picking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpb8x0fIAWI

-Jesus fuck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UwUJxfneEU&NR=1

-A couple of pieces with his jazz quartet: First, a Chick Corea cover...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE5yMTCb ... re=related

...and then a funkier thing called "Hide And Seek."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53B0gjU1 ... re=related

Just wish I could link you to the Tone Merchants site where they've got dozens of the most amazing videos of this quartet doing full on clean, traditional jazz. Unfortunately it's not linkable. I could point you to the website but then you'd still have to hit a couple more links to locate the videos of the show...

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Van wrote:RF, looking at that Av of yours I still can't get over how such a radio/music savvy guy like you luvs you some Mark Tremonti corporate rock.
Would it help if I had Maynard James Keenan in my av?

Sorry to dissappoint bro, but as of next Friday, my gf of 7 years is moving out (this is a very GOOD thing).

Oh, and last week, the Tulsa World laid off 24 people in the newsrooom. I wasn't among them, but good times.

Corporate rock, indeed.

Remind me to change my fucking av, next Friday night, when I'm broadcasting on StuckNut Radio.

I'll read those you links you just posted, when I can.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Aww, 'Spray, don't go backpedaling on me now! You most definitely said in one PM that yep, this guy is even better than Morse. Finally, someone bettter than Morse. Even more versatile, amazingly enough, and a tastier player.

Definitely more creative and wilder. (Almost as weird and wild a player as...you? :mrgreen: )

World class, in most any genre.

Don't make me pull up the old PM, dude...'cause I won't, 'cause I'm pretty sure I deleted all my old PMs. And, umm, maybe you didn't say everything exactly like that, and stuff.

:doh:

In any case, yep, just to be in the same class as Morse is saying something. It's hard to say "better" at that level but I will say Guthrie is more fluid, more inventive and overall a tastier player. He also has way more tricks up his sleeve, since Morse is a pretty conventional player, technique wise. He plays classical, he plays bluegrass and he plays southern fried rock. He plays them all with conventional techniques, albeit at a very high level.

Govan has techniques that are simply unheard of when applied to various genres. His finger picking is just unique in rock soloing circles and his picking, phrasing and bending are unique in blues and jazz circles.

Never thought we'd see another rock/fusion guitarist who could chicken pick like Morse, that's for sure. Govan is just too comfortable and too fluid and downright authentic in too many disparate genres. Doesn't quite seem possible, especially at his age. Any one of the disciplines he's mastered usually takes a lifetime to learn and he's mastered and flat out advanced a multitude of disciplines.

It's really kinda bizarre. But hey, Kanye West is still selling like free cheerleader pussy so wtf...

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Van wrote:Someone explain to me how something called a Trojan managed to get beaten again by something called a Beaver.
I'm pretty sure Cinder's Beaver has beaten up and swollowed many a Trojan.

Welcome back and sorry about your wife.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

'Spray, I've loaded up on The Dregs my whole adult life. I'm well up on them.

In fact these pics...

...were all taken at The Dreg's most recent show in San Francisco, at a little club called Slim's. As you can see I was literally only a few feet away, in the front row.

Then there was this, at a much smaller club, which was just absurd...

WAY too fucking loud for such a small room. Flat out painful.

Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Van wrote:WAY too fucking loud for such a small room. Flat out painful.
Maybe you're just an old man now, Van.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yeah, I probably am.

The entire room was cringing though from the piercing volume of the high notes. People were literally wincing and covering their ears and even attempting to back away from the stage whenever he'd do a high note sustained vibrato.

Many of the people in the room were younger than me too.

Take a look at what he has on stage there, and look at how close people are standing to those Marshall stacks. Of course a lot of those heads were just up on stage for show. They weren't all lit up. Only four were lit up. Still, if you've ever stood directly in front of a fully cranked Marshall stack, even a 50w stack of the type YJM uses, you know how fucking loud they are. Add to that the brightness of a bridge pickup on a Strat and the inherent beamyness of standing right in front of closed back cabinets loaded with G12T-75s and yeah, it was literally painful at times.

The size of that room really didn't call for anything more than a 2x12 combo amp. No more than a single half stack. Maybe just one full stack, at the very edge of reason, and even then it would've mostly been for show.

Instead he loaded up a tiny club stage with his full on arena rig and he had everything cranked. It was just absurd.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

All I heard was blah blah blah blah blah.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:

Ah, to be young and foolish again (as opposed to the current "old and slightly less foolish").

Here's how it works, Screwey...

Keep hanging out seeing shows at clubs for say... another 15 years. Then, you'll begin to understand that when a dude over 40 says a club show is "too loud"... they ain't fucking around. Because after a couple of decades of it, shows just ain't as loud as they used to be. It takes a lot for me to think a show is particularly loud these days. You only get so many of them, then Father Time takes the edge right the hell off the volume.

But you'll see.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:

Ah, to be young and foolish again (as opposed to the current "old and slightly less foolish").

Here's how it works, Screwey...

Keep hanging out seeing shows at clubs for say... another 15 years. Then, you'll begin to understand that when a dude over 40 says a club show is "too loud"... they ain't fucking around. Because after a couple of decades of it, shows just ain't as loud as they used to be. It takes a lot for me to think a show is particularly loud these days. You only get so many of them, then Father Time takes the edge right the hell off the volume.

But you'll see.
I already figured that. Idiot.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

S_M, pardon my ignorance but what is "MGMT"? Some sort of band name? I keep seeing it referenced, in connection to you.