Marbury to Celtics?

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Marbury to Celtics?

Post by indyfrisco »

Heard on the radio the Celts may pick up Marbury. They must really want to tank to pick up this cancer.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Re: Marbury to Celtics?

Post by Neely8 »

Yeah I am not a big fan of this move. I guess it is low risk. If he becomes a problem they can just cut him. I would say no to the deal though....
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

While the Blazers have absolutely feasted off the Celts' shitty management (which hurts to say about a semi-solid U&L Guy)...

Danny Boy ain't that inept.

If the do pick up Starbury, it's to cut/dish/whatever him, to clear cap space. I'm not sure which Big Guns contracts are up, but this would scream of a money-move, not a roster move.

Hell, the Blazers traded for Steve Franchise. He spent about a total of one afternoon in Portland, being bought out. Cap gold.

And we were in talks to get Marbury, as well. He still wouldn't have come within 5 miles of the locker room. The problem being, the Blazers have a bunch of huuuuuuge checks to write starting next season. While most fall under Larry Bird, it's still nice to have the space to make a run at whatever free agents might be catching a GM's eye... which requires cap space.

Wouldn't sweat it, Celtsfan. While I think Rondo may be the most overrated player right now (pretty sure Rumplewife could look like an All Star surrounded by those guys), he's still doing a fine job using his skillset to help his team... speaks to the coaching.

And I'll even throw you a bone, since I just dissed one of your players (and since you're currently OUR BITCHES... that felt good, haven't been able to say that in a while... which lasts until Boston hoists another banner, then that whole "current bitch" thing goes out the window)...

Other side of the coin, Leon Powe (PAC10 guy-btw) may be the most underrated player in the league. What a machine.

But if you do deal for Starbury, it's because you're loading the financial-cannon to keep your run rolling as your stars age -- it ain't to put Turdbury in your locker room.

I have heard some feint rumors of Marbury ending up on several teams. I'll believe any of them when I see it. Although it would make sense for teams like Boston, Portland, or even Phoenix, Detroit, or Cleveland to pick him up and slam him back down (I'd include the Knicks, but they just went scorched-earth clearing contracts). I'm probably missing some, but those are the teams that jump to mind that are looking to clear the books (although the Blazers are in great shape as far as upcoming cap, but with the sellouts, the money is rolling again, and Allen likes to spend it when it's flowing, and are thinking BIG). Detroit is losing everyone in the next 2 years, and would get more flexibility to build a team through free agency. Cavs know they need to bring in a big gun or two to retain LeDouche's services. Phoenix has Amare coming up to deal with, and are going to need a PG soon (and have done a shitty job of drafting one). If Boston can start working the contractual big-picture, they can quite possibly stay strong as the Big 3 legs start to go in the next couple of years (although Dickhead is in remarkable shape for a guy with that many "miles" on the body - truly a freak in that regard).

So, on the business side of things, the Celts might have some nice irons in the fire.

Just keep that douche away from the locker room. Seems like a nice enough guy, but needs to deal with his personality disorder, which he seems reluctant to do (and if I had 100Mil in the bank, I might give up on self-improvement, too).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

I'll echo the sentiments of all posting in this thread. Marbury is a fucking tard of a headcase.

Dins couldnt be more wrong about the most underrated player in the league, though-that distinction belongs to "The Ghost" Trevor Ariza. I pity you if you havent gotten a chance to watch this cat lock down your favorite player, throw down a monster dunk, hit a 3 in thier face....fuck it, i'll let the videos do the talking. Holmes can do it all. He will end up being the Pippen to Kobe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LWiYGeP ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwXahGDEGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrCQODVKfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6r9P-oA ... re=related (go to 6:17 in this one and watch him outhustle the entire Jazz team until about 7:05 in)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RJ wrote: Dins couldnt be more wrong about the most underrated player in the league, though-that distinction belongs to "The Ghost" Trevor Ariza.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Hmmm... maybe I should look into this. I'm not quite sure what criteria I should use, though...

HEY! I KNOW!!!!

I'll check the scoreboard.

Which seems to read:

Leon Powe - 1

Trevor Ariza - 0

Hmmm... a bit-part in a losing role, or the 6th/7th man for the Hardware-Toters?

Both had ample opportunity to win PAC10 freshman of the year honors... which one did?

Both had a chance to be the MVP of the PAC10 tourney... remind me which one did?

Which one made the 2nd team All-American list again?

And which one has a ring?

Sure, Ariza may turn out to be everything you claim... someday. But a quick check of that pesky ol' scoreboard tells an entirely different story.

BTW-I left the Lakeshow completely out of the financial discussion... since Cupcake really has his ducks lined up in a row these days. Solid long-term core there. If 4/8 doesn't break down too fast on the wrong side of 30, they're set to make runs for the next few years... and a certain team from up north will be set up to make it tough for them.
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Yep, scoreboard indeed.

You guys match up damn well with us. We're sloppy as fuck tonight. Aldridge is a beast, and, contrary to what you say, Oden is mafia (cement shoe'd player club)-very unimpressive.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RJ wrote:Yep, scoreboard indeed.

You guys match up damn well with us. We're sloppy as fuck tonight. Aldridge is a beast, and, contrary to what you say, Oden is mafia (cement shoe'd player club)-very unimpressive.

That wasn't a great example of the "new Oden" last night. He's actully been playing fairly well the last couple of weeks, after getting out of thoseearly doldrums.

But the Blazers and Lakers fans were cheated a bit last night. Cheated out of a potential shootout between BRoy, the up-and-coming King of the 4th Quarter, and Kobe, the reigning King of the 4th Quarter. And this Oden/Bynum "matchup of the future," in it's first real showing, was pretty anticlimactic, since they were both a mile away from playing their best game... they were both equally unimpressive, although Bynum hit the boards... but in fairness, Odenwas boxing out like a mofo, but Aldridge was like a rebound-Hoover, and got all the numbers.

Would have been nice if someone involved with the team would have read your post, though... then maybe at some point, somebody might have considered putting a body on Ariza at some point.

From your end, a W is a W, although you had some issues to work on. I'm fairly certain some eardrums are being shredded at the Laker practice today... since giving up 6 completely uncontested offensive rebounds on one trip down the floor isn't going to sit well with Smarmy Phil.

On this end, I'm sure they're hearing about getting 6 offensive rebounds on a single trip, and missing 6 open jumpers... WIDE open.

Fuck, Blazers had about 250 offensive boards, which they converted to about 2 points. Might wanna think about crashing the defensive glass with the same vigor... might actually win some games.... but with our still-bad-but-improving fast break game, it's not like those defensive boards are a guaranteed 2 at the other end. Conversly, at least the transition defense still is about as bad as you'll ever see, and the Lakers aren't exactly a great team to show up to party with without bring some transition D... some nasty, nasty open court players on the Lakes... several of them.

I guess the bright spot from an NBA fan's perspective, rather than a Blazer or Laker fan's, was Ariza and Batum having big games. Similar type of players, really. The loss last night wasn't for lack of Batum locking fools up. Hell, even Blazer fans had never heard of the guy before this season, and he was brought in the fill out the D League. But he's been such a psycho-fast learner, he's started every game at the 3 this season... which will probably come to an end when Martell comes back. Hopefully, Martell eats up some of Outlaw's minutes, since his decision-making seems to be regressing back to that high school kid we drafted with mad athleticism and no game. ARGH.

Lakers definitely have the cannon loaded right now.
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Yeah Dins, those 20 offensive rebounds in one trip down the floor was a pathetic sight to behold. I like that Blake kids skillset, but he straight up shot you cats out of the game. If he hits even 2 of those wide open 3's, its a different game at that point. Aldridge is a fucking monster and should've been fed low much more than he was.

Oden is a joke. Gasol posterized his ass with a dunk right on his motherfucking head. Mafia.

You guys have a damn good young team, though.....and I really hope you guys iron your shit out (you already nailed it, but it needs to be said again-you guys fucking suck in the open court fast break) to the point of us having a legit rivalry again. I've got some family in Portland that i'd love to talk some good shit with again. The sweeping of you fucks in the first round of '01 (I still laugh thinking about Kemp's porky Grimace looking ass crying like a bitch after Horry hit that 3 in the corner) and the '00 collapse has permanently shut him up. I'd like to see that change.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RJ wrote:Yeah Dins, those 20 offensive rebounds in one trip down the floor was a pathetic sight to behold.
The Lakers own the best record right now, but if they don't adress that, an early exit from the playoffs is inevitable. Not only did the Lakers not box out, but they gave up 6 wide-open shots after 6 consecutive O-boards. If you ain't boxing out in the paint, shouldn't you be able to close out on an open shooter?

That offended my basic senses as a basketball fan... the Zers' inability to take advantage offended me as a Blazer fan.

I like that Blake kids skillset, but he straight up shot you cats out of the game.
Blakey is normally a very reliable outside/spotup shooter, and has won more games than he's lost. But he couldn't buy a bucket last night. Laid more bricks in the first half than Y2K at a Fresno panty-party.

Oden is a joke. Gasol posterized his ass with a dunk right on his motherfucking head. Mafia.

Uhm... Oden returned the favor before it was all said and done.

And was no worse than Bynum. Again, not a good game to base the "matchup of the future" on.

Oden is improving pretty quickly.

(you already nailed it, but it needs to be said again-you guys fucking suck in the open court fast break) to the point of us having a legit rivalry again.
Too bad the divisional realignment fucked it up. I know we couldn't have everything we wished for with the realignment, but a couple of divisional rivalries got screwed up there. The Blazers/Lakers being probably the most notable. Sure, in the Big Picture, the Celts are always going to be the Lakers' biggest rivalry... but that's East/West shit that is only relavent when both teams win their conference. Divisional rivalries are all-year, every year. The Blazers and Lakers have had a pretty strong one for decades (sup "We got Kareem! Promised Land, here we come!!!" ... Big Bill threw a wrench in those gears, and a rivalry was born... 30+ years ago... but that was before your time).

I've got some family in Portland that i'd love to talk some good shit with again.

I think maybe the intensity of the rivalry probably has a lot to do with the volume of SoCal transplants polluting this town. Lakers tix are hard to get, and a startling number of Laker jersies come out of the closet when the Lakeshow comes to town... but of course, being Proper Coasters, things are always civilized.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dinsdale wrote:And I'll even throw you a bone, since I just dissed one of your players (and since you're currently OUR BITCHES... that felt good, haven't been able to say that in a while... which lasts until Boston hoists another banner, then that whole "current bitch" thing goes out the window)...
I am not sure how things work in cities that haven't been a champion since the Disco Era... but in the rest of the world, the team who is the reigning champs gets to call the rest of the league its bitches until someone knocks them off their pedastal.

Does being a fucking loser for 30+ years really eat away at common sense that much?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And you're still clinging to last year's harware...

where you draw the line there?

1-0 over the previous 1 games...

What have you done for me lately, beeeeyotch?
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

I think the Celts should sign Darius Miles and play him in two games for a total of 2 minutes......
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That's what you think, eh?

You really seem to be forgetting that there's a certain team that spends more on its legal department than some teams do on payroll. That same team that hired an army of lawyers to pretty much turned the salary cap rules upside down, leaving the league shaking its head at how powerless they were... all in the name of retaining Chris Dudley.

And they've now threatened to release the hounds once again.

Is that really who you want to mess with?

If it comes down to a battle of atrition and who can spend the most money to make a point...

We win. Period.

Arius Miles should probably lay low for a couple of years, in case he might have... an accident.

Blazers management is looking to take ownership of another team. I'd recommend choosing their battles wisely... and Arius the Cancer probably isn't worth jeapordizing your business model over. Would be the toughest $250K that any team ever made... better odds on taking it to Vegas and putting it all on double-zero.

There's some stupid GMs/Presidents out there. Do they honestly think a cap-hit is going to stop the Blazers from signing any free agent they choose? If that's the case, some teams really need to fire their GM (besides just Minnesota), since they seem to have learned nothing from the past. Ain't no problem that Paul Allen can't buy his way out of.

Last I checked, Jeff Gillooly and Shawn Eckhardt still lived around here... make your decisions wisely, Arius.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dinsdale wrote:And you're still clinging to last year's harware...

where you draw the line there?

I could give two shits about the Boston winning it all last year. I am just telling you how things work outside out of Loserville. Seeing as how this year's champion is TBD... all you can do is give the C's their due until otherwise. You dig?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Dins, Dins, Dins...

1. Rivalries - For Western Conference teams, generally, rivalries are due to geographics or competitive frenzy. Portland really offers neither. Sacramento was the main league rival around the time of the turn of the century. Phoenix probably second, then San Antonio, Dallas, and maybe then Portland.

2. You are being very patient hoping LaRue Oden warrants his pick status.

3. Offensive rebounding / defense - Probably the most frustrating thing about watching the Lakers is that most concede they have the most talented team. They also have an abundance of head cases - Odumb, Radmanovic, Jackson, etc. They get bored very easily. They will coast through the season, deal with injuries (Walton, Odumb, Farmar), and finish with the best record in the West. I predict they will deal one or more of the head cases and bring in a tough guy like an Artest for the playoffs.

4. Don't know of too many GM's that would opt for LaRue Oden over Bynum right now...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Seer wrote: 2. You are being very patient hoping LaRue Oden warrants his pick status

The LaRue Martin reference almost warranted the stupidity of that statement.

Gee, 30 games is some gold-standard of patience?

I shouldn't say anything, since I've been milking it for laughs in that zome in between messageboards and real life, but at the risk of jeapordizing the reverse-jinx...

You guys are awesome. It's been un-fucking-canny how every time any of you have denigrated Oden on this board, his next game has been somewhere between "good" and "excellent."

The LaRue comparison must have really pissed him off, becuase he went out and PWN3D! the Bulls last night.

13 points and 9 boards isn't a bad effort. Wait... that was the first half.

Just keeps getting better every game.

BTW -- Derrick Rose was the third best rookie on the floor last night . I'm sure the dickweed voters will still give him the ROY, though, for some odd reason.