Best Quick "Go To" Meal

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Best Quick "Go To" Meal

Post by Mikey »

What do you fix when you need something fast that you know everybody likes, and you don't want to pull some kind of shitty frozen meal out of the box?

Here's mine. We have this meal at least once a week. Not only easy but pretty healthy too.

For three people:

3 large chicken breasts - bone in and skin on
brocolli
rice

Start the rice in a rice steamer. I use about 1 1/2 cups of rice and 2 1/4 cups of water.

In a shallow Corningware dish (or other covered microwaveable dish) arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer, skin side up. Season with Lawry's or other seasoned salt. Cover and microwave on high for 20 minutes.

Once the chicken is started, cut up the brocolli into a stovetop steamer. Bring water to a boil. As soon as the microwave is finished, start steaming the brocolli.

Steam the brocolli for 7 minutes (more or less). Allow the chicken to steam for another 6 minutes after the microwave turns off. After 6 minutes remove the chicken from the cooking dish and place on individual plates. The rice will be done by now. Serve up the rice. Serve up the brocolli.

There well be quite a bit of nice broth in the chicken dish. Pour it over the rice. Serve with soy sauce for the rice and ranch dressing (or whatever you prefer) for the brocolli.

30 minutes from start to table. Very little to clean up. The chicken will be very tender and moist if it's not overcooked.

I often substitute fresh cabbage (quartered and steamed) for the brocolli and/or baked yams for the rice. Adjust the timing accordingly. The yams are wrapped in foil and baked at 400 deg for at least an hour, depending on how large they are.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Re: Best Quick "Go To" Meal

Post by Cicatrix »

Pork Chops in Mustard Cream Sauce

Bone in chops work best but a nice layer of fat on a boneless loin chop will be good too. These chops have a fancy kinda thing going for them. I usually make them with roasted potatoes/yams and rice.

Season chops well with S&P
Brown the chops on high heat in sauce pan (not non stick)
Remove chops just before done to taste, lower heat to med/low and add 3 big tbsp of whole grain mustard and about 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir well and scrape bottom of pan to remove any stuck on brown bits which will flavor the sauce.
Reduce for about 2 minutes stirring often. Add chops back to pan and cook for about another 3 minutes. Dont forget to add any juices that collected from the plate you removes the chops to.

The chops themselves take all of about 10 minutes.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

here's my recipe for quick chicken rice and brocoli.

pick up phone, dial china house.

"herro, china house"

hi. I'd like the chicken and brocorri lunch combo. hot and sour soup, white rice.

"be ready, 10 minute"

thank you.

takes about 30 minutes total as well. $4.50 plus a buck or so for gas.

if I actually feel like cooking and there is some sort of chicken in the fridge (preferably thighs. love me some chicken thighs) I heat up a frying pan, toss in some EVOO, some garlic, maybe a clove or 30. fly chicken about 15 minutes, toss in some chopped onions/celery/whatever else is going bad in the fridge veggie "crisper". why the fukk do they call it the crisper. it is much better at rotting stuff. I call it the compost bin.

while this stuff is cooking, I do some rice in a sauce pan. those rice cooker things are OK if you start at about 10 in the morning. if you are in a hurry, I prefer using the stovetop burner. besides, it adds to my carbon footprint quicker. and we neocons are all about big carbon footprints.

one other thing. cooking in a nuke is gax. nukes are for popcorn, reheating already cooked stuff and drying socks. it is also good for various juvenile pranks, or so I've heard.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackaholic wrote:if I actually feel like cooking and there is some sort of chicken in the fridge (preferably thighs. love me some chicken thighs) I heat up a frying pan, toss in some EVOO, some garlic, maybe a clove or 30. fly chicken about 15 minutes, toss in some chopped onions/celery/whatever else is going bad in the fridge veggie "crisper".
Either you typed this out wrong or that is going to be one nasty piece of chicken. Frying garlic in oil for 15 minutes = burnt, bitter and nasty. Now, if you cook the chicken for 15 minutes in EVOO, turning once, remove the chicken and then cook your veggies after deglazing the pan with a little stock or wine and then return the chicken to the pan as it reduces, yeah, that sounds tasty.
while this stuff is cooking, I do some rice in a sauce pan. those rice cooker things are OK if you start at about 10 in the morning. if you are in a hurry, I prefer using the stovetop burner.
Agree. I have a rice steamer that has not been used since college. Anytime I cook rice, I prefer to do it in a sauce pan using chicken stock instead of water. If I want to steam veggies, I just put a little water in the bottom of the sauce pan and cover it. Works just as good.
one other thing. cooking in a nuke is gax. nukes are for popcorn, reheating already cooked stuff and drying socks.
While I would tend to agree, as has been said here many times, can't knock it till you've tried it. I have actually had microwaved chicken before, but it hasn't been since college. Back when Ilived in a dorm, all we had was a microwave and a fridge/freezer. I saw that infomercial about cooking in the microwave using those Microwave Bags. Basically, it was like popcorn bags, but you put your meat or veggies and cook in the microwave.

They would have frozen steaks and frozen chicken, S&P, couple spices and microwave that shit. Always came out looking pretty damn good so I bought them. In all honesty, they did a pretty damn good job on chicken. Not so much on steak. But hey, I was a college kid who could cook a nice meal in his damn microwave. My Jewmate, err roommate, absolutely flipped when he saw me make mac-n-cheese in the microwave. I come in from class one day and he said his didn't work out so good. Jewpid, err stupid, dude put the water, pasta, cheese, and butter all in the bowl at once and then microwaved it to a nice paste.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You maroons obviously didn't get the point.

I said "quick and easy". The rice cooker takes about 20 - 25 minutes. The MW chicken takes exactly 26 minutes. In the meantime you're getting the brocolli ready, watching Jeopardy and dowing a bottle of Sanapanoma's finest. Everything is done and ready at the same time.

Cleanup takes about 3 minutes since there's no greasy pan, no spattered oil on the stove. Warm water, some soap and a sponge, and no scrubbing of anything.

I normally don't MW stuff from scratch but, like Indy said, don't knock it until you've tried it. This is not gourmet grilled or fried chicken, but it really does come out tasting great this way if you do it exactly as I have described. I wouldn't do it with thighs or legs - just large half breasteses with bones in and skin on.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Quick go-to meal: Totinos Pepperoni Pizza dipped in ranch dressing

Seriously though...I have this a lot. Grilled lemon-herb chicken with asparagus, zucchini and squash.

I have some of these vac seal containers.

I just take chicken breast, S&P, evoo, dried rosemary and the juice of one lemon. Pop them in the Food Saver canister and suck out the air. Shake it up real good and set it down. Then, I go turn on the grill to high heat. The chicken completely marinates in 5-8 minutes as if it was marinating overnight in a plastic bag.

I take some asparagus, sliced zucchini and squash and throw them in a vac seal container and pour evoo, balsamic vinegar and S&P in there. Seal it and shake it. Wash my knife and put it back in the block and throw the plastic cutting board in the washer.

Next I throw the chicken on the grill. After 5 minutes, I throw the veggies on the grill too. Turn the chicken after 8 total minutes, turn the veggies after 5 minutes. 5 more minutes and both chicken and veggies are done together. Serve with some bread and butter from the bakery and a nice glass of Chianti (substitute fava beans for the 'gus but don't grill if you like).

Total prep and cook time is about 30 minutes. Cleanup is the plate and silverware you eat with and throw the canisters in the dishwasher along with your tongs from the grill and cutting board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Indy,

I heat the oil, toss in the garlic for a few minutes, then add the chicken. The chicken may take a bit more than 15 minutes. Once the chicken is about done, I throw in the veggies.

Are you saying that I should get the remants of the garlic out of the pan prior to putting the chicken in, then add the garlic later with the veggies?

I could give that a shot, I guess.

Still beats nuking it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackaholic wrote:Are you saying that I should get the remants of the garlic out of the pan prior to putting the chicken in, then add the garlic later with the veggies?
Yes. Put the EVOO in and cook the chicken on both sides thoroughly. The chicken should have deposited some extra fat and drippings into the pan. Toss in the veggies and garlic and let cook a bit in the remaining evoo and fat until onions are transparent. Then deglaze a bit with some white wine or chicken stock scraping the bottom of the pan. Then return the chicken to the pan to heat back up a bit.

Having the garlic cooking in the pan with the chicken for 15 minutes would burn the garlic making it bitter. If your garlic isn't burning in your recipe, then I would say you have some undercooked chicken because thigh meat takes longer to cook then white meat and there's no way that meat is fully cooked in 15 minutes if your garlic is not burnt.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Deglaze.

Sounds like something pickle does after a night out with the homeys. But, I doubt they use white wine. Prolly more like fourties of old english 800.

Yeah, I know wrong forum. Sue me.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Italian pork chops. Pork chops need to be thin, no more than ½ inch thick. I buy whole pork loins and cut and freeze chops like this, in addition to a couple of roasts. If I buy a couple of butterfly loin chops, I probably have to slice them in half the hard way or they’re too thick. I make my own Italian breadcrumbs combining regular breadcrumbs with basil, oregano, garlic powder and grated parmesan (Kraft is OK for this).

Bread pork chops using flour, egg-milk wash and breadcrumbs. Set aside for 10-15 minutes so crumbs adhere properly. In the meantime, start bringing water to boil for Annie’s Alfredo pasta.
http://www.annies.com/pasta_meals_with_ ... anic_pasta

I’m don’t give a rat’s ass about organic, this is just exceptionally good for a boxed mac-and-cheese type thingy.

While the pasta is boiling, fry the breaded chops in vegetable oil being careful not to burn the crumb coating. If you time it right, you can take the chops out of the pan when the pasta is cooked. Fix the pasta according to directions. Serve with a salad or a vegetable.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ever "cooked" anything that didn't require a can opener?

I'll bet you survive on happy hour bar food at least 5 days a week.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:I'll bet you survive on happy hour bar food at least 5 days a week.
Hey, couple $3 crab cake sliders at Phillips in SW DC during happy hour hits the spot. In fact, might walk over and hit up a couple of those tomorrow.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote:
Mikey wrote:Ever "cooked" anything that didn't require a can opener?

I'll bet you survive on happy hour bar food at least 5 days a week.
But what did you ask for? A quick "Go To" meal.

And you didn't even get the "quick" part right, loser.

Why don't you make a quick meal out of some cream of mushroom soup seasoned with a teaspoon of sodium cyanide.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

[shudder]In todd's defense, he DID qualify his recipe by saying the quick part was in prep and not cook time.[/shudder]

However, he should have compared the quickness of prep time to how long it takes him to climax after shoving his cack into McCain's mangina rather than the 100 meter sprint. Much more effective.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

All right, you kids settle down. This is a cookin' forum in case you didn't notice.

And yes, I know I strayed as well, but, atleast there was a connection and also there is the "anyplace is a good place to pile on pikkkle" rule.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

By no means is this gourmet (rather Toddesque actually), but it is damn good. I have it over lunch a lot as I eat at home most of the time.

Mac N Cheese from the box. Cook per directions. Can of tuna packed in water, strained. Dump in the mac n cheese once it is done. Douse with pepper and tobasco.

I can eat the whole thing and be damned full and it costs me about 50 cents and 10 minutes to make.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

my favorite mac cheese in a box helper is a can of sweet peas. the tuna sounds good too.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:my favorite mac cheese in a box helper is a can of sweet peas. the tuna sounds good too.
Canned peas? Good God. No frozen peas in your neck of the woods?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Out here in Cali we just head out to the farmers' market any time day or night and pick up some fresh peas picked within the last 10 minutes.
Much much sweeter that way.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Just slide into the ocean already, you prick.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:Out here in Cali we just head out to the farmers' market any time day or night and pick up some fresh peas picked within the last 10 minutes.
[ :dins: ]10 minutes lag time? And you call that fresh? I laughed.[/ :dins: ]
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

canned, frozen or have juan pick'em. whatever.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:canned, frozen or have juan pick'em. whatever.
Good God, you have shit for taste.